A BRAND NEW GAME: Part 5

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net

Author's Notes: Standard warning, etc...



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part 5: Jack

I chase after him down the long corridor. I don't know how this could have happened. He's my friend, or was until now...

Now I'm not so sure who he is...

The docs say he's got a snake in his head. I don't want to believe them, but he's already killed two people. He'll kill more if I don't stop him, here...now...

Where the hell did this happen? We were all okay when we jumped for the gate as Apophis' Jaffa were hot on our heels back on Chulak. He looked fine when we came through, although he did complain of a headache...

I've got to stop him.

He'd want me to stop him.

Even if it means killing him.

I finally pry open the doors of the elevator. Carter's humped up in the corner there, out cold. Daniel stares at me wild-eyed and breathing heavily.

I look at him as I hold my gun on him to prevent his escape from the elevator, trying to gauge how much of my friend actually looks back at me.

I remember Daniel's words back there in that dungeon, 'Something of the host must survive."

I also remember Teal'c shaking his head hopelessly...negating Daniel's words.

I know Daniel well enough to know he wouldn't want to continue this way, wouldn't want to hurt anyone else, wouldn't want us to take the risk of allowing him to escape....

Those expressive eyes hold a silent question, a silent prayer...

I fire the gun.


God...

What the hell is going on here tonight....

I look over at Daniel, huddled uncomfortably at the other end of the couch, his coffee cup still balanced precariously on one leg.

I don't know where that last dream came from. I don't care what happens to him...there's nothing that would make me shoot Daniel...especially not some damn snake.

Even in those early days, there was just something about him....

I can't even put a finger on it now. Daniel is....unique. I've never known anybody like him, and probably never will. He can go from up to down and all points between within the blink of an eye. He can be arguing with me one minute, then turn around and ask if I'm okay in the next. He opens his heart up to hurt without question, but at the same time feels things on a level I'm only beginning to comprehend. There's no doubt in my mind, though, that of the two of us...he's the better man.

He looks like a kid laying there against the couch arm, head nearly falling off the hand holding it up...a kid who doesn't want to be alone...

I know how he feels.

I take the coffee cup out of his hand and put it on the table, then throw an afghan over him and pile up at the other end of the couch. Whatever is going on with us tonight, we aren't going to go through it alone....


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||