A BRAND NEW GAME: Part 4

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net

Author's Notes: Standard warning still applies... Not what it seems...



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part 4: Daniel

"Daniel!"

God...I thought....I was dead...What a dream...

"Daniel!"

I open my eyes to see Jack bending over me in concern. I must have been making a lot of noise...

"Jack? Did I wake you?"

Jack's shaking his head. "No. I woke myself....you aren't the only one with bad dreams tonight...."

I nod at him, rubbing my chest...it still hurts....

It felt so real....

Jack's looking at me strangely, but shakes his head as if throwing off the last remnants of his own dream. I think I've had enough rest for now and start to get up....only to find the room going black around me....

I feel Jack's hand on my arm, guiding me back down and pushing my head between my knees. He's saying something about the pills he gave me earlier, something about coffee and an empty stomach. He's asking when's the last time I ate...

I honestly don't remember....

I think I say it, he acts like I did as he helps me to stand up a little slower. I'm still a little light-headed, but at least the room isn't spinning anymore...

Jack parks me back on the couch, acting so solicitous, it's kind of got me worried actually. I hear a lot of rattling and banging from the kitchen, but between my headache and the lingering pain in my chest I don't really feel like going in there to investigate. I lay back on Jack's couch and put my feet up on Jack's coffee table and listen to Jack's noise. I hear a little ting and a clatter and a few minutes later Jack appears with coffee, scrambled eggs and slightly green-tinged toast. I look up at him as I poke at the green.

"So I haven't shopped in awhile. " He shrugs a little apologetically. "Just think of it as raw penicillin...Eat."

Stifling a little nausea, I sit up and take a stab at it. My chest is throbbing now and Jack notices as I rub at it, his eyes ask the question...

I shrug my own shoulders, not really wanting to get into a discussion about the physical after-effects of dreams. "It's nothing...must've slept too heavily..."

He looks at me a little strangely, but nods, not pushing it. He grabs the remote off the coffee table and flips through the t.v. channels. Not much on at this time of night. He settles on an old movie. I don't think either one of us is in a hurry to go back to sleep...

I finish the eggs and eat around the green parts of the toast. I hadn't realized how hungry I was. I sit back again and sip my coffee as my headache eases...


"Jack!"

We're running for the Stargate as fast as we can...faster than I ever thought I could....when I see the beam start to fall...

I yell out a warning, but between the noise of the storm and the castle falling down around us, it's just too loud in here. Jack can't hear me. I make a dive at his legs in an attempt to push him out of the way, but it isn't enough. The beam comes down on his legs, crushing them.

The debris seems to slow down for a moment as I stoop down beside him trying to free him. He's in obvious pain...his eyes already glazed in shock, but trying to look past me at the 'gate. It's sputtering wildly, completely unstable.

"Daniel, get out of here!"

I knew he was going to say it.

Just like I know I'm not going to do it.

Just like he knows I won't.

We already know each other well enough not to argue about that...That won't stop Jack from trying though....

He wouldn't be here now if it weren't for me. If I hadn't become so obsessed with studying the Heliopolis communication device, I would have been up here with my team...where I should have been...

Jack looks at me strangely for a moment, a pain that isn't entirely physical in his eyes.

"Daniel...don't...."

I just look at him. There aren't enough words to express my regret, my sorrow...The only thing I can do now is to stay by him...not let him die alone....

As the light from the Stargate sputters one last time and fades completely, the tower shakes and the ceiling begins to fall....


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||