A BRAND NEW GAME: Part 14

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part 14: Daniel

It's the Keeper...

And he seems to be royally ticked off...

Good.

He's not used to dealing with things outside of his control...which we definitely are.

Jack helps me to stand, again...but it's not easy. Every bone and muscle in my virtual body aches. Jack keeps a hand under my arm, holding me steady as we face the Keeper.

The Keeper's face is red with rage. "What do you think you are trying to do?"

Jack responds with that 'stupid question' tone. "We're trying to get out of here!"

"I really am losing my patience with you. Why can you not submit and join in the games?"

I have to respond to that. "It isn't part of our nature...of human nature to submit to the control of another."

The Keeper looks at me in confusion...the concept is so foreign to him that he can't begin to grasp it. He's been in control of these people, this place, for a thousand years.

"Irregardless, you cannot be allowed to continue to influence the minds of the residents in the manner that you have been attempting." The Keeper's voice turns cold. " You have the option of re-joining the game...or ceasing to exist." His expression doesn't change...to him the choices are clear cut and immutable.

Jack's about had enough. "You are going to let us go...now!"

The Keeper laughs at the seeming ridiculousness of that statement.

"Or...?" The Keeper asks.

"Or your people are going to turn against you."

That was the second part of Jack's plan. Teaching the residents a few things about freewill and independence. Something we both know a few things about...

"You tried that once before, if you will recall. It cannot be done."

Jack smiles. "Wanna bet?"

The figures in black are there all around us. The first time we've actually seen them throughout this whole thing. The veils are removed and they are looking at the Keeper with an odd mixture of contempt and sympathy.

The Keeper is backing away from the residents. I have no doubt that this time they are real.

A young woman begins to speak. "These two have shown us the true meaning of 'life'...it is more than you have allowed us. A thousand years ago, the environment made sense...but we have grown less human with every year. You protect a planet that has no life, because we are locked up in here."

Jack jumps in. "You kept them away from the planet to protect it, but you took away something far more important."

The Keeper looks at Jack in confusion.

"The right to choose." I answer.

The Keeper is shaking his head. "No! I will not allow it!" He reaches for his bracelet, but one of the men in black grabs his arm and removes it.

"Now it is you who has no choice."

The man pushes one of the buttons on the device and suddenly we are back in those cocoon things. Jack jumps out of his, giving me a hand out of mine as my legs give way. I still feel like hell...

The people have gathered around us...still very quiet, as if the experience of being free of the cocoons is still a very fragile concept to them. I know how they feel...

Jack is looking at me with that concerned look again...It really is getting to be a bad habit.

The young woman is speaking again. " You have shown us many things and we are very grateful. "

The man holding the Keeper's device agrees. "There are many things we have forgotten as we wasted our lives in the environment. Thank you for reminding us what it is to feel again."

I nod my head. I don't have the energy to respond at this point.

Jack promises to send back help. People to teach them how to take care of themselves and their planet.

The man hands Jack the device. "Take this with you. We will not need it again."

Jack smiles and nods."Glad to hear it"


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||