A BRAND NEW GAME: Part 11

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Part 11: Jack

We're back in our black uniforms, back on the bridge of Skaara's ship as it moves closer to Earth. It's just the two of us this time though. Daniel looks at me, paler and more drained than before, if that's possible. This is not a good memory for either of us... and we both remember the way this story ends....

"Jack..."

Daniel is looking at the stars. I know what he's thinking. I'm thinking it, too.

The Keeper has learned how to manipulate our memories, our nightmares. The inevitable end of this episode in our lives was bad enough. What kind of sick scenario has he got planned for us in this place?

"We could just refuse to play again?" I don't really think it's possible. I just hope it is.

Daniel nods half-heartedly. "We could try..."

I squeeze his shoulder, turning him around. "We'll get through this, Daniel."

He nods again, trusting me. I hope I can keep that promise.

"O'Neill."

It's Skaara...Klorel...

I try vainly to talk to Skaara, but this time I don't have a zat gun.

The Jaffa disarm us, while Klorel gloats.

"My host's former brother...The former husband of my father's Queen's host...the Tau'ri who opened the Chaap'ai and set all of this into motion....." Klorel waves a hand grandly, taking in the ship, the stars....

Daniel's shoulders droop...I knew he felt that way; being who he is, he had to...but he's wrong...

"Daniel..." I start to tell him that none of this is his fault...never was. One of the Jaffa lands one in my back, sending me to my knees. Daniel gets a swipe across the legs...consistent, these guys.

Klorel is carrying on as if he hadn't been interrupted. " Perhaps you would like to see who is with us here."

He commands something in Goa'uld and Daniel goes even paler. I look at him sharply, asking the question with my eyes. He shakes his head...tries to speak, but before he can we hear another Goa'uld-ish voice.

"My Daniel."

It's a cruel twist on the name that Sha'uri always used with Daniel. But this isn't Sha'uri...just like Klorel isn't Skaara...

She looks at us coldly...as much a stranger now as her brother.

Ska...Klorel tells us this is Amaunet...Apophis' queen...

Like he's introducing us at a garden party.

He knows what he's doing. They both do. The worst thing is, they're enjoying it.

Daniel is barely holding on. He's put on that still face he uses when he's trying not to let his deep emotions show. He's had a lot of practice with that one.

Amaunet lifts Daniel's face up by the chin, studying his eyes.

"This isn't real Daniel..." I have to say it....even though it earns me another punch in the kidneys.

Amaunet looks at me, "I assure you Tau'ri, this is quite real."

She activates her ribbon device, bringing it to bear on Daniel.

Whatever else is going on here...it's obvious that the pain is real; I can only hope not fatally so. Daniel is frozen, the pain etched on features locked in the gruesome hold of that Goa'uld weapon. I don't know what to do, but I know it has to be now....

I dive for Amaunet's hand breaking her hold on Daniel. As the Jaffa grab hold of me again and Daniel drops to the floor trying to breathe through the pain, Amaunet laughs.

"Not to worry, O'Neill. I don't intend to kill him. Not just yet."

She and Klorel smile at each other, not a good thing.

I don't care if the Jaffa do hit me again as I reach over and help Daniel sit up. I can feel the tremors of pain racing through him as his breathing slowly evens out. I just hold on to him as it passes.

For some reason Amaunet and Klorel allow it. This may be one of the Keeper's 'games,' but Daniel is in very real pain here. I remember him rubbing his chest earlier after I...we...dreamed that he'd been shot...

Daniel looks up at me, nodding that he's okay...but I can see in his eyes that he's not. That sadistic, cold-hearted bastard couldn't have designed a worse scenario.The stuff the Keeper threw at us before was bad enough, but these two people were Daniel's family.

Skaara meant a lot to me, too. His youthful energy and willingness to fight against his 'god' helped pull me out of a very bad time in my life. Skaara and Daniel, in totally different ways, touched a part of me that had given up on life...reminding me that some things were worth fighting for.

Then it all went to hell....

Now the image of Daniel's wife stands here looking down on us like we're....worse than strangers...enemies and Daniel's got more fodder for his real life bad dreams, as if he needed it...

Daniel's trying to sit up straighter now; still shaking, but better. I let him go, keeping a hand on his shoulder to let him know I'm here. He nods again in thanks and looks at me with his eyes full of things unstated, but understood, between us. We've been through a lot together and I recognize that Daniel is as close to breaking as he's ever been...

Amaunet laughs shortly. "How touching. It seems my Daniel has found a friend. So human of you, my husband."

I can feel the tensing of Daniel's muscles under my hand. She's deliberately pushing all of his buttons and it's working.

"Don't let her get to you, Daniel." I say it forcefully, but gently.

He looks at me again. He knows, but knowing doesn't make it any easier.

Klorel speaks again. "What shall we do with them, My Queen?"

She really seems to consider it.

"Kill them...slowly."

Amaunet smiles as her eyes glow.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||