AMALGAMATION: Part 6

by:  Julia Reynolds
Feedback to:  Julia@wrenlea.demon.co.uk



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


"Jeez, Daniel, I don't know how you managed this," O'Neill muttered lightly, as he lowered him gently to the floor of the corridor, concern mirrored in his eyes, as he watched the red smudge deepen.

"Not intentional, I can assure you," Daniel managed to joke back and then winced, putting a hand to the wound. "Too vulnerable out here, Jack," he said and tried to get up, failing miserably.

"Whoa..easy, Danny boy. Leave it to me," O'Neill said and placed both his arms around his friend's chest to lift him, knowing that Daniel was right. Staying out in the open like this was pointless. They had to get out of the corridor.

O'Neill managed to half-drag Daniel along the corridor until he rounded a corner, out of sight. To his relief he saw a door leading off the corridor. He pushed on it hard but it wouldn't move.

"Damn," he said and lowered Daniel once more to the floor.

There didn't seem to be a lever. Firing on the door would bring attention to them. Then he remembered the bracelet on the guard. Propping Daniel up against the wall he moved swiftly and silently back down the corridor until he reached the bodies. He grabbed another of their weapons for good measure and then manhandled the bracelet from the dead guard.

Daniel's eyes were closed when he got back to the door, his hand draped across his wound. O'Neill fingered the bracelet impatiently. At first nothing seemed to happen. Then a sudden sound and the door slid open.

"Come on, buddy, hang on a little longer," he encouraged as he bent to lift his friend through the door and into the darker passage beyond. Daniel groaned as O'Neill lifted him. Once inside he considered his options briefly. He had to deal with Daniel's stab injury and he had to get them to somewhere to hide.

He gingerly lifted Daniel's shirt and inspected the bloody wound. The gash seemed small but deep. He had nothing to cover the wound and he needed to put pressure on it. Jack remembered that Daniel always carried a supply of handkerchiefs on his person, so he felt carefully around his friend's jacket. To his relief, a small wad of four clean white handkerchiefs were in the inside of the jacket. He pressed two to the wound hard, eliciting a sharp wince from his friend.

They had to hide. He knew that. If someone opened the damn door they were sitting ducks. O'Neill's mind raced as he pressed down on the pad. How could he move Daniel and maintain the pressure?

Suddenly, A scuffling sound behind him diverted his attention momentarily. He gripped the alien weapon and moved himself into position next to his friend, his hand reaching across and maintaining the pressure on the wound.

"You can put your weapon down," the voice said. It was strong and strangely reassuring.

"And like I'm going to trust you?" O'Neill said half-heartedly in the direction of the voice.

"You need our help. Your friends need our help. Trusting us might be your only chance." The voice replied calmly.

"Show yourself, then I might listen," he replied, his eyes looking around him, unable to tell where the voice was coming from.

"You are wise to trust no one. But we mean you no harm. You look like you need our help urgently. Turn around. We are behind you."

O'Neill scrambled around and saw the wall behind him open up, its grating sound alarmingly loud. It revealed a route into the darkness. Two figures emerged swiftly. They pulled their hoods back.

"And you are?" O'Neill asked.

"We are your last hope and you are ours," the first man said and then he lowered his head. When he raised it, his voice had changed. O'Neill flinched momentarily at the change in tone.

"We are Tok'ra," came the simple sentence. O'Neill relaxed inwardly.


Sam Carter was bored. She'd sat in the room for what seemed like hours. The door was locked. The room was empty except for a medical couch and a chair. She kicked her heels endlessly as she sat perched on the medical couch, her thoughts measured. She wasn't afraid, she knew she was able to handle most things. She was more worried about what had happened to her friends. She felt frustrated at being unable to help them, unable to get out of the room. The sound of the door opening was a welcome distraction.

She was almost pleased to see Selphic, an interruption to the solitude, although the feeling swiftly faded as she watched the veil lower and the dark eyes burn with an anger she'd not seen there before.

"My master's anger will make the palace walls tremble," Selphic declared as she stood, her hands by her side, her face contorted with fury.

Sam looked quizzical. "Why?" Was all she could think of asking.

"You know why," the woman replied, although a doubt crossed her features momentarily as she saw the puzzled look on Sam's face.

Sam shrugged and pulled herself down off the couch. She wasn't sure how she could have pissed off Khepera yet. She wanted to and intended to, but so far she'd done nothing except give a blood sample. "What, he doesn't like my hair color anymore?" she half joked and then wished she hadn't.

Selphic moved towards her so fast Sam didn't have time to react, and slapped her fair and square across the cheek. Sam steadied herself, her eyes burning with anger, and instinctively raised her hand in retaliation.

"If you touch Selphic, I will kill you," the comment came from the doorway. She saw Zophra stand, his weapon pointed at her, his eyes burning. She saw Selphic throw him a look of thanks and then she backed away from Sam, away towards the door.

Sam fingered her cheek ruefully. The look of caring which had passed between Selphic and Zophra surprised her, and yet perhaps it shouldn't have. Finding a common bond in a place filled with despair and killing wasn't so far fetched, was it? Sam eyed them both with interest. Something they weren't telling her, something they were afraid of admitting.

"You have deceived us. Your looks deceived us. Your blood contained elements which I have witnessed only once before. You are not what you seem," Selphic said and Sam thought she caught a tear glisten in the cold eyes of the woman before her. "He will punish me, he will destroy me for my ignorance," she added flatly.

Sam shook her head. "I'm me. I don't know what you thought I was. I'm sorry I'm not. Well frankly I'm not sorry but..."

"Silence. Khepera will see you now. Your fate will be determined by him. Perhaps he will not blame Selphic. Perhaps he will see your treachery. Your body may be of no use to him now alive. He will decide how best to use it," Zophra said.

Zophra waved the weapon towards the door.

Sam didn't move. She stared at Selphic for a single moment. "Listen, I can help you. I can help you to escape from here. I know that's what you want. Just let me go," she said, looking across at Zophra.

Zophra exchanged a glance with Selphic who shook her head vehemently. Sam had touched a nerve and she knew it. They both wanted out, that's what they wanted. She'd laid temptation before them but they were too afraid to take it.

"Your words are treacherous. Khepera must deal with you," Zophra said, drawing his attention back to Sam, and he waved at her to move.

Sam left the room with a feeling of relief at being out. She hadn't been able to persuade her two captors, but she knew she'd interested them. Out of the room she might be able to do something. Out she might be able to help the others. She'd caught the look of fear on the faces of the two palace officials and her thoughts raced. So, Khepera's most loyal subjects not only feared him, they wanted to leave him. She decided to bide her time. Fear was a useful weapon. Nevertheless, one SG1 officer against four guards and two palace officials didn't seem like good odds. She was no good dead. She'd wait her opportunity.

As she left the medical chamber and headed for the main palace rooms, interested eyes watched from the shadows.


Daniel winced and gritted his teeth as Morphan ran his hand across the knife wound, the healing device which nestled in his palm giving a sensation of warmth. His forehead burned and he felt dizzy, but the sensation of warmth was comforting. He laid his head back on the pillow and tried to relax.

"This will help the healing process but it cannot do everything. I will give you a mixture which will also help the pain and will fight any infection," Morphan said as he got off the bed and moved to his shelves.

O'Neill smiled reassuringly at Daniel and squeezed his shoulder gently as he moved from the bed and sat down at the table. His relief at Daniel's recovery had turned to curiosity about their saviours. He looked down and started to examine the alien weapon he had in his hands.

"Do you know where our friends are being held?" he asked as he glanced across at Morphan who was mixing a green colored liquid together in a small wooden cup.

Morphan turned and passed the cup to O'Neill and nodded at Daniel.

"Give this to your friend, then I will tell you what we have found out," he said, moving across to the door and conferring with a man who had appeared there suddenly.

O'Neill took the cup and perched next to Daniel. Putting one hand under his shoulders and lifting him into a sitting position, he used his other hand to put the cup to Daniel's lips, allowing the green liquid to filter slowly into his mouth.

Daniel paused for breath and grimaced. "Yuk," he said.

"Gotta take your medicine, Danny boy," O'Neill said jokingly as he insisted he finish it and noted mentally that he looked better already.

"Yeah, well next time I'll make sure you take some too," Daniel replied and wiped his hand across his mouth as O'Neill lowered him back onto the bed.

"Your friends were being held by Khepera in separate parts of the palace. This made it hard for us to stage a rescue. We are few in number. I was about to tell you that we had chosen the most important one to rescue." Morphan said as he sat down at the table.

"Not going to happen," O'Neill interrupted, his face set in determination. "We don't choose who's the most important. All my team are."

"Admirable sentiments Colonel. Unfortunately Khepera's plans don't allow for sentiment. Our small numbers do not allow for sentiment. We could have rescued only one. If your friends had still been apart we would have had to make a decision. As it is, Khepera is bringing them together within the hour. The consolidation ceremony will bring together the main players in Khepera's army, and his most important supporters. Your two friends are also main players in this ceremony. They can no longer be rescued."

O'Neill looked at Morphan with a mixture of relief and anger at the attitude. "So, my team haven't been...well you know..?" he asked.

"Not yet. Your friends will be consolidated with their new implants at one ceremony. If we do not stop them from becoming new implants for Khepera, then all is lost. We have waited for this day so that we can take out all Khepera's top people in one place. Our small force has precluded an attack before now. His people have been too spread out. Some exist outside the palace and its environment. We will not miss this opportunity. Khepera would only bring everyone together when there is something everyone must see. Something everyone must fear. The consolidation ceremony is it. It is unfortunate that both your friends are involved in this. One would have sufficed. But their participation is essential. Our forces are too small, too scattered to mount separate attacks. One attack will be quite sufficient."

"Hang on just a minute. 'One would have sufficed'? Sounds pretty final to me. Weren't you going to bother asking us what we thought?" O'Neill felt his anger rising. "You say you're going to take these people out? How? My people are in there too."

"Casualties of a greater war, O'Neill. We in the Tok'ra have suffered many casualties through the centuries but all to a greater good. We ask your help to completely destroy the gathering. Join with us. Only then can we say we have destroyed potentially the most dangerous System Lord who lives."

"You want our help. We get Carter and Teal'c out. No casualties, just out. Understood?" O'Neill said, his anger evident at the complete disregard for his officers.

"Know this, O'Neill. We would do this alone. Your help is an added bonus. Rescuing your friends before destroying the gathering will jeopardise our plan. I cannot sanction it. Having your two friends on center stage is a fortunate distraction, which we need. Khepera will not hold the consolidation ceremony unless he has two perfect hosts. Your friends are these two hosts. Taking them out from under Khepera and then achieving a surprise attack is impossible." Morphan shook his head sadly. "I am disappointed in the Tau'ri. Sacrificing two people for the good of many worlds would be honourable. You do not view it this way?"

"We kind of get attached to our friends," O'Neill replied and then looked across at Daniel.

"Jack's right. We can't leave Sam and Teal'c in there. Surely there's a way?" Daniel asked, propping himself up, the green liquid making his pain ease now. He felt much better.

"There is one," the voice said from the doorway.

Two of Morphan's men flanked a small, diminutive, hooded figure, eyes burning as the hood lowered.

"I may be able to help you," Selphic said simply as she stepped forward.

O'Neill swung around and pulled the alien weapon to his hip. Morphan signalled for him to lower it.

"Why does Selphic bother herself to visit with us?" he said and moved towards her.

Selphic bowed. "Morphan mocks me. Your reputation far exceeds that of a mere lower caste," she said.

Morphan drew a breath between his teeth. "When you are in my house you do not speak of people in such a tone, child."

Selphic lowered her head. "It is not my intention to insult anyone," she whispered and Daniel noticed a tear fall to the floor.

Morphan nodded to his two guards to leave and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Too long under Khepera's influence, child. No matter. You have offered your help to us. Come tell us what it is you would do," he said.

Selphic eyed O'Neill warily and sat at the table opposite him.

"I found your escape and removed the evidence," she said quietly. " I knew that you would find Morphan, or that he would find you."

"Sweet," commented O'Neill and then raised an eyebrow as Morphan shot him a look. "And why did you do that?" he asked puzzled as to her motive.

"Your friend offered us escape," she said quietly.

"And which friend is that," O'Neill asked, raising his eyebrows.

"The woman."

"Good for Sam," Daniel muttered and he and O'Neill exchanged glances.

"I cannot do anything for her, not now that Khepera will know what she is," Selphic said, her eyes hollow. "Her blood sample was contaminated. I cannot hide this from him. He will know that she has already been a host," she added.

Morphan looked at O'Neill, his eyes narrowing. "She is the one who was Jolinar's host?" he asked.

O'Neill nodded, curious that Morphan knew.

"I have heard of her. We will use this to our advantage," Morphan said. "It will be a distraction."

O'Neill looked up. "Now hang on just a darn minute. Using my officer as a distraction isn't in the game plan."

Morphan raised his hand for silence. "Khepera will lose his temper when he finds out that your friend is no longer pure. At that moment we must make our move, when his concentration and that of his guards is distracted. We can help her to escape at that time. There will be no argument."

O'Neill shrugged. He knew one thing. When Khepera found out the truth, he'd be real pissed with Carter. O'Neill knew that he had to make sure he was ready to take out Khepera right then. No mistakes. No messing. Carter's life depended on it.

Selphic rose. "Khepera made me. He made me suffer. He cares little for his creations. We are useful only when he deems that we are. I want him to pay for that. I want his people to know. Give me this chance and I will help you. I will help with the distraction at the ceremony. Give Zophra, give me the chance to escape and we will help you free your friends," she pleaded, her eyes darting from Morphan to O'Neill.

Morphan pulled Selphic's veil back across her face and signalled for his two guards to escort her back to the palace.

"If you are telling the truth then we will help you. If you are lying and this is some form of treachery, then you will wish you had died here, standing before me. Do you know of the catacombs?"

Selphic nodded, swallowing, her eyes widening at the word.

"Those who live down there would love a new companion. Do I make myself clear?" he said flatly.

Selphic turned to leave.

As she moved, Morphan put a hand on her shoulder and turned her back towards him.

"Those who haunt the catacombs would come for you wherever you are. If you deceive us, I will send them for you."

Selphic nodded and shuddered as she left.

"Those who haunt the catacombs?" O'Neill repeated quizzically, looking at Daniel, his mind turning over what he'd heard.

Morphan turned to them both. "There are more inhabitants of this world than you would know," he said, his words full of meaning and threat.


Back
Back to Stories Page