The Twins Go To School

PA-Mado

The Twins start Pre-school. Ben and Michael deal with letting the twins go and everyday situations. Sequel to Our Two Dads. 10,000 words.

One night Michael sat on the sofa trying to clear his head. The summer had been packed with vacations with lots of fun trips. Angie and Bobby were getting very anxious about starting preschool after Labor Day. Michael and Ben had enrolled them in an excellent preschool near their home. They had spent the last three weeks taking the twins shopping for school clothes and shoes so they would have the proper things to wear.

Ben came home from classes one day and knew immediately Michael was upset about something. "Baby, are you alright? What has happened to get you so upset?"

"I don't know if I can be without Angie and Bobby all day. I haven't really been away from them for very long since we brought them home from the hospital four years ago." Michael sighed as he gave his husband a kiss hello.

Ben smiled at his lover in amusement as he spoke, "Baby, we knew this day would come. The kids need to spread their wings and make new friends. Not to mention you need to learn to let them go. You know it won't get any easier later."

Michael replied with a perturbed look on his face, "Are you making fun of me? I know I get carried away sometimes but going to school is a big step for Angie and Bobby. I'm really going to miss them when they are not here."

Ben came over, took Michael into his arms and held him close. "Baby, I know you're going to miss them. You have spent most of your time with them for the last four years. It will not be easy but just think you'll have time for yourself again not to mention you can spend more time at the shop, that should help." Ben gave his husband a tender and loving kiss then asked, "By the way where are the kids?"

Michael cuddled into Ben's arms and said, "Mom came over this afternoon and took them out to the park. She is also taking them for a sleepover tonight."

Ben asked as he smiled at Michael, "You mean we are all alone for the entire night? Well what do you want to do?"

"Why don't we go out to eat then go to Babylon and dance for several hours. We can visit with our friends while we are there." Michael replied as he gave Ben a loving squeeze.

"That sounds like a great idea, Baby. We can relax and have some fun together. What time do you want to leave?" Ben inquired with a twinkle in his eye.

Michael looked at his husband and gave him a devilish grin. "As far as I'm concerned we can leave in a couple of hours. Do you have any ideas on how to spend the time?"

Ben took Michael by the hand and led the way to their bedroom. "Come on Baby, let's go and really have some fun. Maybe I can take your mind off of the twins for a while."

"I will welcome the diversion and the attention. Now come here, I want you in my arms." Michael put his arms around Ben's waist and pulled his husband into a long and tender kiss.

Ben held his husband closer as he kissed his ear tenderly. "Baby, I'll do my best to help you relax. How about we start by taking a shower and really begin to unwind."

Michael began unbuttoning his husband's shirt until he could tenderly kiss Ben's bare chest. Ben responded by helping his lover out of his shirt and pants. As they stood naked in each other's arms, Ben began kissing Michael lovingly yet passionately causing his husband to go weak in the knees. As he picked Michael up in his arms, Ben carried him into the shower and held his lover close in his warm embrace. After they were fully relaxed Ben carried Michael and placed him on the bed. As he climbed up beside his lover, Ben scooped Michael into his arms and kissed him tenderly on his lips. As their passion grew Michael begged, "Ben, please I need you inside me tonight. Fuck me hard, Sweetheart."

"Baby, be patient I want you to enjoy this." Ben whispered in Michael's ear.

As he relaxed, Michael allowed his husband to take control. Ben kissed his way down to his lover's chest and nipples. After he showered his attention to Michael's chest, Ben moved down to his lover's throbbing cock. Ben took Michael into his warm mouth then lavished his lover with intense pleasure, which caused him to groan deeply. Ben released Michael as he grabbed the lube and a condom. After he prepared his husband, he inserted two fingers causing Michael to jerk with pain and pleasure. Ben covered his cock and quickly entered his husband then set a rhythm, which brought Michael to a strong climax. As his husband shot onto his chest Ben achieved his own strong and violent orgasm.

Exhausted, Ben collapsed beside Michael and held his husband tenderly in his arms. "How do you feel now Baby? Are you more relaxed?" Ben inquired as he tenderly kissed Michael's lips.

Michael grinned, "If I were anymore relaxed I wouldn't be able to move for the rest of the night. How do you feel Sweetheart?"

"Give me about twenty minutes and I'll let you know. Right now I can't move. To tell you the truth, Baby, I really don't want to move." Ben whispered softly in Michael's ear and gave him another kiss. Ben and Michael lay lovingly in each other's arms until they had completely recovered before they got ready to go out.

~~~~~~~

Later Ben and Michael arrived at the Liberty Diner to eat some dinner. As they entered Ben and Michael were greeted by Emmett and Drew, "Hi Sweetie, we haven't seen you all summer. Are Angie and Bobby ready to go to preschool?" Emmett asked as he gave them each a hug.

Ben looked at Emmett sternly then whispered, "Don't say anymore about the twins going to school. Michael gets so upset when we even mention it!!! I had to help him relax earlier before we could come out tonight."

"Sorry, I didn't know." Emmett apologized.

"That's okay Emmett. He can help me relax again tonight." Michael smiled as he looked lovingly at his husband.

Ben pulled Michael close and replied, "I'll do my best later on tonight, Baby."

The two couples sat together and visited while they ate. Ben inquired, "Who has little Eddie and Janice tonight?"

Drew spoke up, "The kids are with my parents this weekend. Mom likes to take them so Emmett and I can have some alone time."

Michael looked amused and replied, "We know how you feel fellows. When Angie and Bobby were two years old we were grateful when Mom would offer to sit with them so we could be alone together. Now I wish they were two again. I don't want them to go to school and leave me alone."

Ben put his arm around Michael's waist and gave him a loving squeeze then whispered. "Baby, please we came out to relax and take our minds off the kids, let's not spoil tonight."

"Okay, I promise not to get upset. You're right we need to relax and have some fun." Michael said as he gave Ben a tender kiss on the lips then continued to visit with their friends.

After they ate Ben, Michael, Emmett and Drew headed off to Babylon. Ben said as they entered the club, "Drew why don't you and Emmett bring Janice and Eddie over on Sunday so they can play with the twins. They always have so much fun together."

"Okay Ben, we'd love to we'll see you on Sunday afternoon." Drew replied as he put his arm around his partner's shoulder then kissed Emmett tenderly.

The music swept them up as they entered the club. Ben took Michael by the hand and walked out on the dance floor. "Come on Baby, let's dance the night away."

As he gave his husband a kiss on the lips Michael smiled and replied, "All I want right now is to be in your loving arms. Hold me, Sweetheart."

"You never have to ask me more than once, Baby." Ben replied as he put his arms around his husband and pulled him close, then continued. "I love you, Michael. The way you love Angie and Bobby warms my heart. We are truly very lucky to have the kids and each other."

Michael buried his face into his husband's chest and held him as closely as he could. Breathing in Ben's scent Michael finally relaxed into his husband's embrace. Ben sighed, "Now that's more like it, Michael. I don't want you to leave my arms all night."

Michael reached up and kissed his lover on his neck. "No problem, I feel loved and safe when I'm in your arms. You always know how to keep me centered and I love you with all my heart."

Michael looked up and saw Ted, Blake, Brian and Justin at the bar. As Ben and Michael looked at each other, they headed over to visit with their friends. Brian inquired, "Well if it isn't 'MY TWO DADS'. How did you finally get a night away from the kids?"

Michael stared at his friend and replied, "If it's any of you business, Brian, Angie and Bobby are with my mom and Carl tonight. Ben and I wanted to come out and relax for a while." Michael turned to his husband, "Come on Sweetheart, Let's go. I really want to be alone. Can we go home?"

Ben gave his husband a loving and supportive kiss. "Sure Baby. We'll do what ever you want tonight." Turning to their friends, they said, "See you later."

~~~~~~~

Ben took Michael into his arms as they arrived home. Michael put his arms around his husband's waist and held on to him for dear life. Ben picked his lover up into his arms and carried him into the house then put him down on the sofa and just held Michael in his arms then said. "Baby, I wish you wouldn't get so upset. Please lean back into my arms and let me just hold you for as long as you need me too."

Michael looked lovingly into his husband's eyes and replied, "Thank you Sweetheart. You always know exactly what I need. I do love you so much. You and the kids are my life."

Ben pulled Michael into his loving embrace and held him for hours. At one point Ben realized his husband was weeping. Without saying a word he leaned down and tenderly kissed Michael's tears away. As they cuddled on the sofa together, Michael finally fell asleep in his husband's loving arms. Ben gently carried Michael to their bedroom and placed him in their bed. As he climbed up beside his husband, Ben lovingly held Michael all night.

The next morning Michael woke to find his husband had watched over him all night and asked. "Sweetheart did you get any sleep last night?"

"Not much. You were so upset I wanted to make sure you were alright." Ben replied as he gave Michael a loving squeeze.

Michael smiled and gave his husband a loving kiss then whispered. "Thank you Sweetheart for watching over me but you should get some sleep. Angie and Bobby will be coming home this afternoon and they are going to want to be with their Daddy. Why don't you settle down and just rest. Let me watch over you for a change."

Ben kissed his husband tenderly as he cuddled into Michael's arms this time. He fell asleep with a smile on his face because he knew their love was total and complete.

~~~~~~~

Ben woke up several hours later to whispers outside his bedroom door. With a smile on his face he stated, "Why don't the little mice out in the hall come in and see me? I have two beautiful children I want to see." Angie and Bobby opened the door and ran into their Daddy's arms.

"Daddy, Bobby and I thought you'd sleep all day. Are you all right, you're not sick are you?" Angie asked as she climbed into her daddy's arms and gave him a big hug and kiss.

Ben smiled down at his children, "No, Sweetheart, I'm not sick. Last night your Papa was upset about you going to school next week. So I watched Papa sleep all night. This morning he made sure I got some sleep." Ben hugged his daughter and added, "I missed you and your brother last night and I'm so glad you are back home." Ben gave Angie and Bobby a loving kiss and continued, "Why don't we go downstairs and see what Papa is up to?"

"Okay, Daddy. You know Angie and I had a good time with Nana and Papa Carl but we missed Papa and you." Bobby gave his dad a huge hug.

Ben got up and dressed before going down to the kitchen. Michael had prepared lunch for everyone and was waiting impatiently for Ben, Angie and Bobby to come down to eat.

"I hope you three are hungry. I made enough food for two meals." Michael said as they sat down to eat. "Did you two have fun with Nana and Papa Carl yesterday?"

Angie spoke up, "We always have fun with Nana and Papa Carl. We went to the park and played, then Nana made us our favorite meal."

Bobby chimed in, "We love Nana's pasta with meatballs. She always let's us help make the meatballs and she feeds us way to much."

Ben looked amused then added, "Papa and I know how Nana loves to feed us. I always eat way to much too." They all laughed and had a good lunch. Ben looked at the twins and asked, "What should we do today? After you start school, we'll only have the weekends to go places and have fun." Ben took Michael's hand and gave it a loving squeeze as he saw tears welling up in his husband's eyes.

"Daddy, can we go and ride our bikes in the park? Papa and you can bring your bikes and ride with us." Bobby suggested.

Michael looked at Ben then at Angie and Bobby, "Sure, we'll go as soon as we clean the kitchen. Do you two want to help Daddy and me?"

Angie smiled, "Okay, Papa. Bobby and I will get our plates and glasses. We always like helping you in the kitchen."

Ben took Angie into his arms, gave his daughter a loving hug and a kiss on the cheek. Michael picked Bobby up and did the same. Ben and Michael loved the twins with all their heart. The day they brought Angie and Bobby home from the hospital was the day their lives truly became complete. Ben and Michael looked at each other and saw the love they had for the kids and each other.

After the kitchen was cleaned and straight, the Novotny-Bruckners headed to the park on their bikes. Angie and Bobby had training wheels on their bikes so they could ride by themselves. Ben and Michael watched their children with so much pride in their hearts. As Angie and Bobby rode around the park their dads sat where they could watch them play.

Ben inquired as he put his arm around his husband's waist and pulled him close. "Baby, how are you holding up? Do you think you'll be alright next Tuesday?"

Michael leaned back into Ben's warm embrace and replied. "I don't know, Sweetheart. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time right now. I want to be with Angie and Bobby as much as I can until that day comes."

Ben nuzzled his husband's neck, "Baby, we'll be alright. We can take them to school and get them settled in. Then we'll go and pick them up together. Okay!"

Michael smiled and kissed Ben's lips then replied, "Thank you Sweetheart. I was hoping we could do exactly that."

Forty minutes later Angie came riding up to her dads. "Daddy and Papa, can we go home now?" She climbed up into her daddy's lap with tears in her eyes.

Ben saw this and gently wiped his daughter's tears away then asked. "Angie, my little Angel, what has you so upset? Are you hurt?"

Michael became alarmed and inquired. "Angie where is your brother? Is he hurt in anyway?"

"No Papa, Bobby is not hurt and Daddy, I'm alright too. We just want to go home." Angie informed her dads.

Ben said as he gave his daughter a comforting hug. "Alright Angel, we'll go home. Where is your brother?"

Wiping her eyes, Angie answered, "Bobby is over by the bridge."

Ben gave Angie to Michael then went over to find his son. He called, "Bobby, where are you? Bobby!!!"

"Daddy, here I am." Bobby answered.

Ben went to his son as calmly as he could and asked. "Bobby, are you alright? Are you hurt in anyway?" Ben took his son into his arms and gave him a loving hug as he continued, "Your sister is upset about something. Do you know what happened?"

Bobby put his arms around his daddy's neck and gave him a squeeze. "I saw her talking to a couple of older kids a few minutes ago but I didn't hear what they said."

Ben put Bobby down and suggested, "Come on, why don't we go and get your sister and Papa. Okay? We'll go home then."

Bobby took his daddy's hand and together they walked back to Michael and Angie. Ben looked as his husband and whispered in his ear. "Let's take them home and maybe she'll talk to us later about why she is so upset."

Michael nodded in agreement. "Okay, Sweetheart, you're right, now is not the time to question her. Does Bobby know what happened?"

Ben answered, "He didn't hear anything but he saw Angie talking to some older kids."

"Okay, let's see what we can learn later tonight." Michael suggested.

After Ben, Michael and the twins returned home, Angie ran up to her room and slammed the door. Michael started to follow her but Ben stopped him saying, "Baby, let's leave her alone for a little while. We'll talk to her after she's calmed down. You know she always comes to us when she's calm and tells us what's wrong. I think she'll come to us later and explain what happened. Let's just give her the space she needs."

Michael replied as he looked lovingly into his husband's eyes. "You always know the best way to handle the twins. I'll wait and see what happens."

"Okay, Baby, let's start supper and have a nice meal together. I bet before she goes to bed we'll know exactly what happened and we'll help her through whatever it is." Ben gave Michael a wink and a kiss to reassure him she would be all right.

As Ben had predicted Angie came to them after supper and climbed on the sofa with her daddy and papa. Ben asked, "Can you tell us what happened today in the park? Bobby saw you talking to some older kids. Did they say something to upset you?"

Angie looked into her daddy's blue eyes and answered. "Yes, they told me that Bobby and I really aren't going to school on Tuesday."

Ben replied as he gave a sigh of relief. "Oh my little Angel, of course Bobby and you are going to school. You just won't be in the same school as the older kids yet."

Angie asked as she gave her daddy a questioned look. "What is so different about the school we're going to?"

Michael chimed in, "Angie, Bobby and you are going to a pre-school. It's a school just for children your age. In two or three years you'll go to the same school as the older kids. You go to school in small steps and you learn the right way. Believe us Angie, you are going to school."

Angie gave her daddy and papa a loving hug and kiss then replied, "Papa will you go with me and help me get into bed? I want you to cuddle me tonight."

"Of course I will my sweet Angel. Don't I always?" Michael said with so much love for his daughter then added. "Let's get Bobby and all go together."

"Okay, I'll get Bobby and we'll meet you in the bathroom so we can brush our teeth." Angie suggested, as she ran off to get her brother.

Ben looked at Michael in relief and said, "Well that wasn't so bad. I'm afraid we'll be confronted with other problems though and we'll have to handle them one at a time."

Michael replied as he took his husband's hand, "We'll get through each thing together because we love them with all our hearts and we love each other too. There is nothing we can't handle as long as we are together." Michael took Ben into his arms and held him close then continued, "Come on they are waiting on us to come and help." As he held Ben tight Michael kissed him on the lips and added, "Sweetheart, I love you, our children and our life. I'm so very lucky to have all of you in my life."

Ben replied as he tenderly kissed his husband's lips in return, "We are both the luckiest men in the world." He held Michael close then continued, "Oh, by the way Drew, Emmett, Eddie and Janice are coming over tomorrow in the afternoon. I thought it would be a good idea for the kids to play together again before school started."

"That's a good idea. Now let's go put our beautiful children to bed. Then I want you all to myself tonight, if you know what I mean?" Michael said as they moved toward the stairs.

After sitting with Bobby and Angie until they went to sleep, Ben and Michael cuddled each other on the sofa for a while. Ben said, "Baby, we have just begun to help the kids solve their problems. We need to prepare ourselves for anything that could happen."

"I know Sweetheart, I just hope we can always solve the problems that probably will come up." Michael said as he leaned into his husband's embrace.

"We will. Now let's sit here and relax before we go to bed." Ben kissed Michael's neck as he spoke in a whisper.

Ben held his husband for the longest time without moving. They finally went to bed after eleven o'clock. Ben took Michael into his arms as they entered their room and kissed him passionately. Michael pulled back to catch his breath and looked into his husbands cool blue eyes as he melted into Ben's loving embrace. Ben picked his partner up and carried him to their bed then encouraged Michael to lie down. Ben quickly followed his husband as he climbed up beside Michael and scooped him into his arms then held him close to his body. Ben whispered, "As much as I love the kids I'm going to love having more time alone with the man I love and adore. I have missed our afternoons where we make love for hours at a time." Ben kissed Michael's neck and continued, "Now I have my schedule arranged so two to three days a week can be for us."

Michael grinned and replied with love, "I love the way you make time for us Mr. Bruckner. I promise to set aside the time from the shop so I can meet you at home. Who knows what will happen but for now I need to adjust to Angie and Bobby being away all day."

Ben tenderly began to remind Michael what the afternoons would be like as he kissed his husband until he moaned with desire. Ben continued his attention to his husband until their passion grew and they got lost in each other's arms. Their lovemaking was completely satisfying that night. As Ben collapsed from sheer exhaustion he pulled Michael into his arms and whispered, "I promise I will show you everyday just how much I love you Michael Novotny-Bruckner. I never want you to doubt my love for you."

After they had recovered from their lovemaking, they fell asleep in each other's loving arms. They had so much love for each other and the kids. They knew their lives were complete.

~~~~~~~

The next afternoon Angie and Bobby waited anxiously for Janice and Eddie to get there. When the doorbell rang Angie ran to answer it and squealed in excitement when she saw their visitors. "Hi Janice and Eddie, come on let's go and play."

Ben looked in amusement at his daughter and suggested, "Angie, you four go on and play for a while, we'll call you later for supper."

"Oh boy, you get to stay for dinner." Bobby chimed in.

The kids ran off to play in the twins' room while Drew, Emmett, Ben and Michael sat down to visit.

"Your daughter is so adorable. Angie treats Janice like a little sister and Janice always refers to Angie as her big sister." Emmett told Ben and Michael with an amusing look.

Michael smiled with pride then informed the group, "Angie wants a little sister so much. Ben and I'll have to do something about that before too long."

Ben looked at his husband in shock as he asked, "Are you serious? Baby, do you want to adopt another child? You haven't said anything about this before what made you bring it up."

Michael gave his husband a kiss and replied, "Well it's something to think about, isn't it? To tell you the truth I have been thinking about it for some time. Angie more or less started the process one day. I tell you what, why don't we talk about it another day."

As he turned to Drew and Emmett, Ben inquired, "Are you thinking about adopting more children? Janice would make a great big sister don't you think, I mean she is your daughter."

Drew spoke up, "We have your hands full with Eddie and Janice right now, but it's always a possibility. Maybe this time we'll use a surrogate. That way the baby would be legally ours from the start, then only one of us has to go through the adoption process."

Ben said with a smile, "That is a great idea. Michael happens to make beautiful children. What a wonderful thought to have a little Michael running around the house."

"Okay you two, I remember how much trouble I had helping Melanie and Lindsay have a baby. I don't know if I can go through that again. I was under to much pressure to perform." Michael said nervously.

Ben got a twinkle in his eyes as he whispered. "Baby, I think I can help you this time. If I had not been such a jackass before I could have helped you then. So this time we could have lots of fun working it out."

Michael replied as he gave his husband another kiss, "Okay, we'll talk about it later. I have to get through the trauma of taking Angie and Bobby to school first. If we are meant to have another child, we'll work it out. Now let's change the subject."

"Drew, when do you start training camp for the next football season?" Ben asked.

Drew informed the group, "I've decided to retire. I spoke to the coach Friday about it. I need to be more available to help Emmett."

Emmett looked at his partner in shock and replied, "Honey, you love playing football. I don't want you to quit, we love coming to the games and watching you play. Why on earth would you decide to retire without talking to me first?"

Drew said as he put his arms around his lover and pulled him close. "I want to be home more to be with you and the kids. I'm missing too much. Eddie and Janice are growing up so fast." He gave Emmett a kiss then continued, "Ben was right when he said the kids would change our lives. I don't want to miss anymore time with them."

Ben spoke up, "What will you do? Would you start coaching or work in the recruitment office?"

"Well what I want is to help Emmett with his work. He has gotten so busy I barely see him." Drew explained.

Emmett chimed in, "Drew that is so sweet but I don't want you to give up your career for me. We'll find a way to spend more time together I promise."

"We can talk about it more tonight Emmett. Now let's change the subject again." Drew said as he gave Emmett another kiss.

After visiting for another hour Michael started supper. They enjoyed a delicious dinner and had more of a visit.

Emmett admitted, "Eddie is really jealous of Bobby. He said he wanted to go to school too. I think Bobby told him how much fun he was going to have."

"What did you tell Eddie? He is only one year away from being old enough." Ben inquired.

"I explained that to him but he still wants to go with Bobby." Drew chimed in.

Emmett gave his partner a loving glance and added. "Honey, he'll get over it and be alright. We just have to make him understand that he's still too young."

Ben, Michael, Emmett and Drew spent another hour visiting before Emmett, Drew, Janice and Eddie went home.

Ben put his arms around his husband's waist, pulled him close and suggested. "Come on let's clean up the kitchen so we can put Angie and Bobby to bed. Then you are mine."

Michael grinned and gave Ben a tender kiss as he whispered, "You've got a deal. Our alone time is important to me, but I was serious about wanting another child."

"Well as I said before, we can work on it together." Ben held his husband close in his loving embrace then continued, "Let's get the kids settled into school first. We'll know when the time is right."

That night after Angie and Bobby were settled into bed, Ben turned his attention to his husband. As they closed the door to their bedroom, Ben took Michael into his arms and kissed him tenderly on his lips. "Baby, I'm beginning to dread the twins starting school too. I know I have my classes to worry about, but it's not going to be easy taking them to school and just leaving them there."

Michael laughed and kissed his husband then added, "I can't believe it. Here you have been trying to get me to be brave and now you feel the same way. Boy, we are two peas in a pod, aren't we?"

Ben looked into Michael's big brown eyes and replied. "We've always been big softies when it comes to Angie and Bobby. I don't know about you but my heart melts when either one of them gets upset or hurt. I love them so much."

Michael climbed into bed, cuddled into his husband's arms then looked into his clear blue eyes and just smiled. "I know Sweetheart, we both love them with all of our hearts. That's what being a good parent is all about." Michael kissed Ben on his lips then continued, "Now we need to show our love for each other. Come here and make love to me. We'll think about everything else tomorrow. You know the way Scarlet always worries or thinks about her troubles tomorrow and at Tara."

Ben laughed out loud and replied. "I've never heard you make a quote from a novel before. What brought that on?"

Michael grinned and said, "I've been doing some reading this summer. I thought it might be good practice for me when the kids need help with their reading. I don't want you to be the only one to help them with their homework as they go through school."

Ben replied as he pulled his husband into his arms, "I love you. Michael Novotny-Bruckner. Don't worry we'll help them together."

After Ben made passionate love to the man he loved, he held Michael lovingly in his arms as they fell asleep. Their love was always so strong and true. Each day and each event brought them closer together.

~~~~~~~

Tuesday morning came faster than Michael and Ben really wanted it to. Ben woke up first that morning and just watched his husband sleep. Michael had trouble sleeping the night before and Ben noticed how much he had tossed and turned throughout the night. He was sleeping peacefully now and Ben didn't want to wake him yet. An hour later Michael woke to find his loving husband watching over him quietly. "Sweetheart, please tell me you got some sleep last night. Did I keep you awake?"

"Baby, I got enough sleep, but I was worried about you. I don't like it when you're so upset, especially when it's about Angie and Bobby. You and I need to relax. The twins are going to be fine. They are going to learn new things and make lots of new friends." Ben took Michael into his arms and gave him a warm kiss then continued, "Now we need to step back and let go. You don't want to be like your mother, do you? Remember how she tried to keep you out of my life. I'm just so lucky you didn't listen to her. She finally came around but it wasn't easy. I don't want us to treat Angie and Bobby that way, do you?"

"No I couldn't do that to them, but it's going to be hard to let them go. I love them so much." Michael held Ben tighter than normal and Ben knew he had to help his husband through a difficult day.

Ben gave his husband a tender kiss and suggested, "Come on Baby, let's get Angie and Bobby dressed and feed. Then we can walk them to school and get them settled."

Michael gave Ben a pleading look and whispered, "Please, don't leave me today, I don't think I can be alone."

"I promise, I won't leave your side. My classes don't start for two weeks. I'll make sure we get through this time together." Ben reassured his husband.

The door flew open and the twins ran in then climbed up on the bed. Angie sat down between her daddy and papa while Bobby sat at the foot of the bed. "Come on Daddy and Papa, let's go. I don't want to be late for my first day at school." Angie said as she gave her dad and papa a big hug and kiss.

Ben looked amused as he gazed at his husband then answered his daughter, "Hold your horses. You need to go and get dressed then you need to eat some breakfast. School doesn't even start until 9:00 a.m. So just slow down, we'll get you to school on time. I promise!"

Bobby chimed in, "Okay but let's not waste anytime. I can hardly wait. Jenny Rebecca told us it was going to be lots of fun."

With tears in his eyes Michael kissed his children and replied, "You are going to have fun but you're also going to learn new things too. So be open to what your teachers tell you okay?"

"Teachers? You mean Bobby and I aren't going to be in the same class?" Angie asked in a surprised voice.

Ben scooped Angie up into his loving arms then replied, "Angel, it will be good for Bobby and you to be in separate classes. You can develop your own friends and be more independent. It will be good for both of you."

Angie put her arms around her daddy's neck, "Okay Daddy, if you say so. It's just that Bobby and I have never been away from each other. I'm a little scared now."

Michael gave his daughter a loving kiss and reassured her, "Don't be scared Sweetie, Bobby is in the same school and you can see each other at recess. You'll be fine. Now you two need to go and get dressed. Put on the clothes we put out last night while Daddy and I will go and fix your breakfast. You can meet us downstairs when you are ready."

Bobby took his sister by the hand and replied, "Okay Papa, let us know when you have breakfast ready."

Angie and Bobby ran to their room and left their dads alone. Ben looked concerned when he saw the expression on Michael's face. "Baby, please stay calm. Everything is going to be all right. Come on we need to get dressed and go down to the kitchen. I promise we are in this together."

Michael kissed his husband as he went to take a quick shower. As he stood under the hot water Ben joined him. Michael turned around and was scooped up on his husband's arms. They held each other closely as Michael hid his tears from his husband's gaze. Ben knew what was happening but said nothing as he just held his lover in his loving embrace until Michael was able to face the children. As they left the bathroom Michael gave Ben a grateful kiss, but they still said nothing. At this point they were beyond words.

~~~~~~~

After breakfast Ben and Michael walked Angie and Bobby to school. As they approached the school Angie took her daddy's hand and held it tight. Ben looked down at his daughter. "Angie, is something wrong?"

Angie replied as she looked up at her daddy, "Daddy, I'm a little scared, it's so big. What if I get lost and can't find my classroom? Daddy, can Papa and you stay with us today?"

"Angel, you're going to be fine. Before you know it you'll know where everything is in the school, you're just so smart. As for Papa and me staying with you, you really don't want us to stay. No other parents will be staying. Don't worry Sweetie." Ben gave his daughter a loving hug then continued. "Now go and conquer this school."

Angie buried her face in her daddy's chest and held on tight. Michael chimed in, "It'll be alright Angie, Daddy and I will come back at the end of school and walk you back home. You can tell us all about your first day at school and how much fun you had making new friends and learning new things."

Finally Ben and Michael got Angie and Bobby settled into their rooms. As they turned to leave Michael almost lost it when Angie turned around and gave her dads a pleading look, as the door closed behind her. Michael leaned back into his husband's loving arms and begged. "Sweetheart, I can't leave them, let's just take them home. I can't stand to be away from them right now. They can start to school when they are ten."

Ben replied as he held Michael close to him, "Baby, we need to leave now. We can't keep them from growing up so let's help them by being strong for them. We can go to your shop and spend several hours. I think we both need to keep busy."

Giving his lover a loving squeeze Michael suggested. "Sweetheart, I'd rather just go home. I don't think I can concentrate on anything today. Please take me home. I need to be alone with you at this point."

"If that is what you really want, then that's exactly what we'll do. Now please give me a smile. Michael, they will be all right I promise." Ben said as he took his husband by the hand and left the school.

Ben put his arm around his husband and held him close as they walked home in silence. Ben knew Michael was upset but didn't say anything until they got home. All he wanted to do was to get Michael and himself through this long day. Ben needed to be strong for Michael's sake.

As Ben opened the door he saw his husband breakdown. As he picked him up in his arms, Ben carried Michael to the sofa and sat down with him. Michael said as he buried his face into his husband's chest and held onto him for dear life. "My babies are gone, they have left me alone." Michael allowed his tears to flow uncontrollably.

It broke Ben's heart to see his husband so upset. Ben leaned down and kissed Michael's tears away then whispered. "Baby, I wish you wouldn't get so upset. Here lean back into my arms. I'm staying by your side for the rest of the day." As he pulled Michael closer Ben continued, "Angie and Bobby haven't really left you. They're just growing up. We just have to accept the fact that they are getting older."

"I know they're growing up Ben but do I have to like it? They have been my whole world for the last four years and now they are gone." Michael explained as he stared into space. "It will never be the same again."

"I know Baby, it will only get better. It will just be different now. They still need us, probably even more than before. Angie and Bobby are going to have new problems and they are going to need us now more than ever." Ben held Michael close then continued. "Don't you remember your childhood? Angie and Bobby may have more unique problems to deal with and we need to be ready."

"I've been so wrapped up in myself that I totally forgot about the kids and what they are going to need. I feel so selfish. Can you ever forgive me, Sweetheart?" Michael pleaded as he kissed his husband.

Ben smiled at Michael and whispered, "There is absolutely nothing to forgive you for, I've had the same feelings too. We have to grow right along with the twins. Now relax in my arms and at 3:00 p.m. we'll go back, get our kids then bring them home. They are going to have lots to tell us about."

Ben sat and held Michael close in his arms until they went to get some lunch. As they walked into the diner Ben and Michael, were greeted by Debbie. "Hi you two, how are you holding up, Baby? Ben did you get the children to school on time?"

Ben spoke up, "Debbie, please! We are fine now and yes we got the kids to school all right. Could we drop the subject? I want to keep Michael calm."

Debbie sat down with her son and son-in-law then said, "Fellows, every parent goes through the first day of school. I took to my bed when Michael first went to school. It took me a long time to adjust. Michael, you and Ben will adjust too just give yourselves time. You are wonderful parents, all you can do is be there when they need you and believe me they are going to need you even more now then before."

Ben looked at his husband and smiled then whispered. "You see, I told you exactly the same thing just two hours ago. Now do you believe me?"

"I promise never to doubt you again, Sweetheart." Michael admitted as he took Ben's hand.

As they sat and ate their lunch, Ted and Blake entered the diner. They came over and sat with Ben and Michael and as they visited Michael asked, "Okay you two, are you planning anything special?"

Ted looked at his friends then replied, "What are you trying to find out? Could it be that you want to know if we are getting married?"

Ben looked surprised and inquired, "Are you serious? You are getting married? That is wonderful. Where are you going?"

Blake answered as he gazed into Ted's eyes, "We're going to Toronto. You got married there, that's where we want to get married and we want to know if you'd go with us? We want you to stand up for us, will you come and be with us when we get married?"

Michael replied with tears in his eyes, "Of course we will go it would be an honor. What date are you planning on getting married? We'll need time to make plans for the twins."

"We are getting married the weekend of October 1. Can you make it? We are also hoping Emmett and Drew, Justin and Brian and Lindsay and Melanie can go too. We want all of our friends there." Ted declared.

Ben replied as he glanced at his husband, "We'll make sure we can go. Michael do you think your mom can take the kids for us?"

"We'll have to ask but I've never known my mom saying no when it comes to staying with the kids. We'll find out now." Michael smiled then he called to his mother, "Mom, would you come over here, we need to talk to you."

"Sure Sweetie, what can I do for you?" Debbie said as she came over to their table.

Ted and Blake told Debbie about their wedding plans. "Of course, I'll keep the kids. Ted, you and Blake will have Ben and Michael with you on October 1. I just wish I could be there so I could be with all of you." Debbie said as she gave the happy couple a loving hug and kiss.

They sat together, planning for October 1, for the next hour. Then Ted and Blake said, "We need to go and make some of the arrangements."

Ben chimed in, "How can we help you? Just tell us what you want us to do and we'll get it done for you."

Blake smiled and replied, "We'll make a list and let you know. Thanks you two, you really are our best friends and we love you." As they left they said, "Talk to you later."

~~~~~~~

Ben and Michael spent the rest of their time walking in the park. Michael kept asking, "What time is it? Should we head over to the school yet?"

Ben looked at his husband in amusement and replied, "Baby, we have two hours before school gets out. We just have to be patient. The twins will be home soon enough and they can tell us all about their first day at school."

Michael took Ben's hand and held it tight. "Sweetheart, I don't know if I can wait for two more hours. This has been the longest day for me. If you hadn't been with me, I probably would have been like my mom and I would have taken to our bed and not come out."

Ben took his husband into his arms and held him close, "Baby, I'm glad we were together today. It has been just as difficult for me to see them go to school as it was for you. I love them too. They are my children also."

Michael looked lovingly into his lover's cool blue eyes and saw a tear form. "I'm sorry, Sweetheart, of course, I have to remind myself I'm not the only one to love and miss them." He took Ben's face in his hands and kissed him tenderly and continued. "Why don't we go home and let me show you how much I appreciate what you've done for me today. I just want to love you and the kids."

"I know how much you love us. You show us everyday with everything you do and say. I have never known anyone who has ever shown so much love for others." Ben said as he tenderly held his husband in his arms.

Ben and Michael walked home and spent time together before they went to get Angie and Bobby. Their love was so strong for each other and for the twins. At three o'clock, Ben and Michael were waiting outside the school for Angie and Bobby to come out. Michael said as he started pacing, "Ben what is taking so long. Maybe we should go in and get them? What if something is wrong?"

Ben took Michael by the hand and replied, "Baby, please relax. I'm sure nothing is wrong. Angie and Bobby will come out soon. Please, Baby, we need to be patient right now."

Ten minutes later the school doors flew open as students came running outside to find their parents. Michael watched anxiously for Angie and Bobby to appear. Ben said as he took his husband's hand and gave it another supportive squeeze. "Michael, please just wait they will come out in a minute or two."

Finally Angie and Bobby appeared and ran to their Daddy and Papa. Ben scooped Angie up in his arms and Michael put his arms around Bobby. Michael kissed his children and said, "Gosh, I missed you two so much today. Did you have a good time at school? Were you able to make new friends?"

Ben suggested as he glanced over at his husband, "Michael, give them a chance to catch their breath." Turning to his children Ben said, "Come on kids, let's go home and we'll get you a treat. We can talk after we get to the house."

Ben noticed Angie wouldn't let go of his hand. Looking over at Michael, he saw his husband was concerned. After they got home, Angie began crying as she went up to her room and closed the door. Ben took a deep breath as he took Michael aside. "Baby, we need to stay calm. Let's give her a few minutes then we'll go up and talk to her. We knew we'd run into situations when the twins would be upset about things."

Michael gave his husband a kiss and agreed, "You're right, Sweetheart. It just crushes me when she gets so upset. Why don't we see if Bobby knows what happened?"

Ben and Michael sat down with Bobby to see if he could shed some light on what might be wrong. "Daddy, I couldn't get a straight answer out of her. All she said was 'It's not true those kids are wrong.' "

Ben and Michael looked at each other and headed upstairs to talk to Angie. Ben asked, "Angel, can you tell Papa and me what happened at school that upset you so?"

Angie wiped her eyes and tried to smile, "Two kids in my class said Bobby and I are bastards. Daddy, what does that mean?"

Ben and Michael looked at each other in shock. Ben began, "Angie that is a word we don't want Bobby and you using okay?" Ben took a deep breath then continued, "Now it means a child who doesn't have a father. Angie, sometimes a mommy will have a baby when she is not married and the daddy doesn't want the baby." Ben looked over at Michael and continued. "I can tell you right now it is not true in your case. Your mommy and daddy were too young to really take care of you. Papa and I asked them if we could take you and love you. So we adopted you and your brother. Angie, Bobby and you are legally our children. Do you understand?"

Angie put her arms around her daddy's neck and asked, "Are you sure Daddy? Nancy and Ronnie said their parents told them we really didn't have a mommy. Do we have a mommy?"

Michael spoke up, "Yes Angel, you have a mommy. She is your biological mommy. But your Daddy and I are your parents. Does that make sense to you?"

Angie looked confused and replied, "I don't know. Do you mean I have a mommy but she is not my parent?"

Ben pulled his daughter into his lap and said. "Sweetie, that is a good way to think about it. You knew that Papa and I were your parents by adoption. You are our children and when it comes down to it that is all that matters."

"Daddy, will there ever be a time when we can see our biological mom?" Angie asked as she gave her dads a pleading look.

Michael replied as he glanced at his husband, "Angie, when you and Bobby are old enough we can arrange for you to meet your mother. If you still want too but for right now let's try not to let this upset us. Daddy and I love you and we are so lucky to have you as our children. Now do you feel better?"

"Yes Papa, can I have my treat now?" Angie asked as she gave her daddy and papa a big hug and kiss.

"Okay, why don't you go downstairs and wait for us at the kitchen table." Ben said as he gave her a loving kiss.

Looking at each other, Ben and Michael took a deep breath and just held each other. Ben spoke first, "Wow that came out of left field. That, I was not ready for."

"Ben, we may run into more things like this. We'll have to be prepared and handle each thing one at a time. I hope we explained the situation to her in the right way. We must always help the twins understand we are their parents and that we are a family. They have to know we love them very much." Michael said as he kissed his husband for moral support.

Ben and Michael walked downstairs and joined the twins in the kitchen. They gave Angie and Bobby their after school treat while they sat and talked. The twins gave their dads a rundown of their day and what they had learned.

A month later Bobby and Angie came home very upset. Michael called his husband at his office, "Ben, we may have a problem. Angie and Bobby came home saying they didn't want to go back to school anymore. Are you coming home soon?"

"Michael, I'll be home in forty minutes. See if you can calm them down and we'll talk to them together. I wonder what happened?" Ben told his husband as he tried to keep him calm.

After Ben got home, they sat down with the twins. Ben asked as calmly as he could, "Bobby can you and your sister tell us what happened at school today?"

"Daddy, the kids at school are not very nice." Bobby informed his dads, "They said something about Papa and you that I don't understand what they meant."

Ben looked over at Michael and asked, "What did they say about us?"

Angie chimed in, "On the playground a group of kids said Papa and you are FAGGOTS. We don't know what that means but it isn't nice is it?"

Michael looked shocked and answered, "No Angie, it's not very nice to call someone that. I want to tell you right now, you are never to use that word. It is bad." Michael took a deep breath and continued, "Now let's see if we can explain it to you." He looked over at Ben for support, "You know that Daddy and I are homosexuals don't you?"

The twins looked at each other and Bobby answered, "Yes, Daddy and you love each other and you are both men. Right?"

Ben spoke up, "That is right. We are called homosexuals or that we are gay. The word you heard is a nasty name to call someone who is gay." Ben took a deep breath then continued. "Now people who don't understand why we love each other use that word to be mean and cruel. Your Papa and I have learned not to let it bother us but we never thought it would be thrown at you. We're sorry."

Michael chimed in, "Do you have any questions you want to ask us?"

"What do we say to the kids when they call you that?" Angie asked looking at her fathers.

"Angel, all you have to say is that your Daddy and Papa are in love then turn and walk away. There is no need to fight with anyone over this. They have parents that just don't understand and may not want too." Ben said as he took his daughter into his arms.

"Should we not be their friends?" Bobby asked.

Michael answered as he took Bobby in his arms. "The best way to change people's minds is to show them kindness and with your actions show them, they are wrong. It may take time but it will work. Do you think you can do that kids?"

"We'll try Papa. You know we love Daddy and you. We don't want anything to change. They won't change will they?" Angie looked at her daddy for an answer.

Ben hugged her tight, "No nothing will change. We are a family and other people will learn to accept us as we are. Be patient and don't let them upset you." As he gave his daughter a kiss, Ben asked. "Are you ready to go back to school tomorrow and show the kids you don't care?"

Bobby and Angie looked at each other and smiled, "If Papa and you can be alright with it, so can we."

Ben and Michael scooped the twins up in their arms and let them know everything would be all right. "Okay let's spend the rest of the day together and tomorrow will be a new start."

That night after they got Angie and Bobby settled into bed, Ben and Michael sat on the sofa in disbelief. "Well, I guess we should have figured that would happen, but this has still thrown me for a loop." Ben said as he took Michael into his arms.

"You told me they still needed us, I believe you now." Michael leaned back into his husband's embrace. "It looks like we're going to have to stay on our toes to keep up with our kids and what comes along to upset them."

Ben gave his husband a bewildered look. "No telling what else will be thrown at the twins because of us. Should we try and inform them of everything all at once or just wait?"

"Sweetheart, it will be better to handle each problem as it comes up. We don't want to confuse them if we don't have too." Michael turned and gave his husband a loving kiss and continued. "Let's sit here and unwind for awhile. We need to be there for the kids and ourselves."

Ben and Michael sat quietly for a couple of hours before going up stairs to check on the kids and go to bed. Ben held Michael close as they walked to their room. "Baby, I am proud of you. Today you stayed calm and together we were able to handle the twin's problem. I know as long as we work together we'll be able to always be there for Angie and Bobby." Taking a deep breath Ben continued, "Now we know what to expect. People, especially kids can be so cruel. When they don't want to understand someone they show their ignorance. I just hope we can continue to protect and inform the kids about the people in the world."

"As long as we're here for them, we'll be able to help them through anything." Michael put his arms around his husband's neck and kissed him tenderly. "Now we need to take time for each other. Come here and make love to me." Michael said as he kissed Ben again.

After Ben made love to his husband, they snuggled tenderly in each other's arms, Ben asked. "Baby, I love you. With the problems we've had lately, are you sure you want us to have more children?"

Michael looked deeply into his husband's blue eyes. "I want a house full of kids. What better way to help change the views of the world than with love?"

"Baby, I'm with you. Shall we start soon? Let's talk to Melanie and maybe we can find a surrogate this time." Ben pulled Michael close as they fell asleep.

The next morning they woke to a beautiful new day. The twins went off to school with a new attitude and all was well. Ben and Michael had so much love for Angie and Bobby and for each other. They knew they could handle anything that would come their way.

End of The Twins Go To School
Next: Our Wonderful Life
Saturday, May 2, 2009 4:18:12 PM
Contact author at madelyn1116@verizon.net

More by PA-Mado

back to fiction index page