I Want To Be A Dad

PA-Mado

Ben wants to become a dad. He suggest to Michael that they adopt a child. 9700+ words.

Part 1 -- April 20

One night after they had finished dinner and cleaned up the kitchen, Ben turned to Michael with a look on his face that meant he wanted to talk. Ben asked his husband to sit on the sofa. "Michael, I have been thinking about something for a while and I want you to know about it."

A puzzled look came over Michael's face as he replied. "What's on your mind, Sweetheart? I haven't seen you like this in a long time. Is something wrong?"

Ben said as he gazed into his husband's eyes. "Hunter is going off to college next year and we are going to be alone. I have been thinking seriously about something."

Michael added sadly, "I know. I'm going to miss him so much. It won't be the same around here without him. Ben, what have you been thinking? Sweetheart, tell me what you're talking about."

Nervously Ben said, "Well, Baby, I want us to adopt another child. I want to be a dad. The house is going to be so empty and I want to fill it with a son or a daughter."

Confused Michael stared at his lover and replied. "Ben, you are a dad. You're Hunter and Jenny Rebecca's dad. Why would you even think that you are not a dad?"

With tears forming in his eyes and taking a deep breath to stay calm Ben spoke in a whisper, "Michael, I maybe Hunter's dad but I'm not really Jenny Rebecca's. I'm Uncle Ben to her and I always will be. She sees me as someone to have fun with not, you know I don't know what I mean. I just don't feel like a father to Jenny Rebecca."

Almost arguing Michael replied, "Ben, you're just as much Jenny Rebecca's dad as I am, don't you know that? She loves you very much. When she was a baby and Jenny would come over and stayed the weekends, gosh all of the nights you were able to get her to go to sleep when I couldn't. You were and are wonderful with her, so please don't tell me you are not her dad."

Ben answered as he took another calming breath, "I loved it when Jenny would come and stay with us and I adore her. I know she loves me, but she always calls me Uncle Ben or Bunny, not dad. I don't feel as if it is my place to scold her or make her mind me."

Sounding surprised Michael replied, "She's just a little girl. She doesn't realize what she's saying. She always runs to you and gives you a big hug and kiss not to mention she loves being with you."

"Baby, I know that, but it just isn't the same. Sometimes I feel like I'm a fifth wheel." Ben looked almost ashamed as he spoke.

Michael responded with concern in his voice, "I'm sorry, Sweetheart, if we made you feel like you weren't an important part of Jenny Rebecca's life."

Ben asked with a pleading look on his face. "Michael, please can we put in an application to adopt again? I just want to have someone else to love and who can love me as a father."

"Sure we can look into the process. Maybe Melanie can help us." Michael said to support his husband's request.

Ben whispered as he took Michael in his arms and held him tight. "Thank you, Baby. I LOVE YOU. You have made me very happy tonight. I just hope Melanie can help us find a child to adopt."

~~~~~~~

Ben called Melanie the next day at her office. "Melanie, Michael and I need your help. Do you have time to talk right now?"

"Sure Ben, what can I do for you? I don't have anyone coming in for two hours so I have plenty of time." Melanie replied.

Ben explained, "We want to start the process to adopt another child. Hunter is going off to college in the fall and I'm at a loss. I want to have another child to love. I'm hoping you can give us the help we need."

"Let me look into it for you and I'll get back to you in a couple of days. Try not to be anxious Ben. I will do my best for Michael and you. I think I know how you feel right now. When you are with Jenny Rebecca a look comes over your face that tells me everything. Let me put some feelers out and see what I can come with for you. I will not let you down." Melanie said and this gave Ben hope.

"Thank you Melanie, this means so much to us. We'll wait for your call and thank you again. Maybe you do know how I feel. I'm sorry, I was hoping I was doing a better job of hiding my feelings about this." Ben exclaimed.

That night Ben and Michael decided they needed to talk to Hunter about the adoption plans. Ben asked, "Pal, could you come and sit down? We want to talk to you about something important."

"Sure Ben, what have I done now?" Hunter asked.

Ben looked amused and replied, "Hunter you haven't done anything wrong. Michael and I have decided to look into something and we want you to know about it."

Hunter gave them a big grin and replied, "Okay, dude, out with it. If I haven't done anything wrong, what are you trying to tell me."

"Hunter, we have decided to adopt another child. I want and need to be a dad again. You are going off to college next year, in New York and we are going to miss you very much. I talked to Michael about this the other day and he agreed that we both wanted to find another child to love and care for." Ben declared.

Hunter asked in a devilish manner, "Aren't the two of us enough? I would have thought you two would love the fact that I was no longer around to walk in on your little romantic dates, etc."

Michael chimed in, "We love you, Hunter, very much, but when you leave for college next year there will be a void in our lives. As for Jenny Rebecca, she lives with her moms. We only get her occasionally on a weekend. Ben and I want to give another child the same kind of love we have been able to give you. How do you feel about this idea?"

"Aren't you two, too old to start over again? With all of the late nights, crying, feedings and everything that goes with having a baby, you may not have the energy anymore." Hunter said with a slight laugh.

Ben responded firmly, "Michael and I are young enough to do this and we want you to understand. We have so much love to give and we want to help another child. As for the late nights, crying, feedings and all of it, I'm looking forward to it. Having another child will help keep us feeling young and vital. We will be needed again."

Hunter laughed out loud, "I'm just joking, dudes. I think it is great. I'll be a big brother again. I can teach him or her the best places to pick up tricks, etc."

"Hunter!!! You'll do no such thing. I won't have you teaching this child anything but how much you love him/her and maybe how to take care of him/her self when need be." Michael exclaimed.

Hunter replied in amusement, "Cool it, Michael, I was just kidding. Can't you tell the difference by now? I look forward to the challenge dudes."

"Oh, HA! HA! HA!!! You think you are so funny. I hate when you trick me like that." Michael said with a forced smile on his face.

"It sounds like a great idea so go for it. I'll love him or her too. Just keep me posted on when the big event takes place." Hunter said approvingly.

Ben sighed in relief, "Thank you, Hunter. You know, while you are here, we'll need your help. We have to get a room ready for your little brother or sister. We need to paint, buy furniture and well just everything. Are you up for the task?"

"Okay, Ben, you've got it. Whenever you need it just let me know and I'll do what I can to help." Hunter agreed.

Ben explained to Hunter, "I just spoke to Melanie today. It may take some time before she'll have an answer for us. I'm hoping that we don't have to wait very long though."

Michael spoke calmly, "Maybe it won't take too long this time Ben, since we've already been through the process when we adopted Hunter. Melanie may call us in just a few days saying that she has found a child for us to love."

"I hope so, Michael. I really want to be a dad again. I don't know how patient I'm going to be just sitting here waiting for a phone call." Ben said in a hopeful voice.

Michael touched Ben's arm reassuringly. "You'll be a dad again, Sweetheart and don't worry you'll be wonderful. You have so much love to give a lucky little boy or girl. We just have to be as patient as we can, I know Melanie will come through for us."

Ben said with a loving look on his face. "I love you, Michael. You always make me feel like I can do anything and succeed. Thank you for understanding my need to do this."

"I love you, Ben. I'll do anything to make sure you're happy. If this is it, let's go for it." Michael said as he put his arms around his husband's neck and kissed his lips.

~~~~~~~

A few nights later Ben, Michael, and Hunter were having dinner at Debbie and Carl's house. Michael began, "Mom, Ben and I want to talk to you about something."

"Sure Michael, what is it?" Debbie asked.

Ben suggested as he gave his mother-in-law a hug, "Maybe you should come and sit down, Debbie."

"What's this all about? Ben, are you sick again?" Debbie asked with a worried look on her face

"No Debbie, I'm fine. I have never felt better in my life." Ben said as he quickly gave her another loving hug.

Debbie gave a sigh of relief, "That's good. NOW, tell me what's going on please."

Michael continued, "Okay, Mom. Ben and I have decided to adopt another child. We wanted to let you know and see what you thought about it."

Debbie responded as she threw her arms around Michael's neck. "Oh, my god. That's great. I'm going to be a grandma again. When will you know?"

"Ben spoke to Melanie a few days ago. She hasn't gotten back to us yet but we hope it won't be much longer before she calls us with some good news." Michael informed his mother.

Carl asked, "Do you want a boy or a girl?"

"We don't really care, Carl, we'll love him or her just the same." Ben answered as he glanced over at Michael.

After a long conversation Debbie suggested, "Come on let's sit down and have a nice meal. Michael, I am so excited about this. It is going to be difficult to wait. You will let us know when things are settled won't you?"

"Sure Mom, I will keep you informed every step of the way. We are anxious about this too. It will take us having patience but everything will work out for the best." Michael explained.

That night after Ben and Michael got home, they cuddled on the sofa. Ben confessed to his husband, "Baby, I'm so excited about this, but I'm also scared."

With a questioned look on his face Michael held his husband close and asked, "Ben, why on earth are you scared? We have been through this before and you are great with Jenny Rebecca so you have nothing to worry about."

"Thank you, Michael for the compliment and I don't know what I'd do without you in my life. You tend to keep me grounded when I need it." Ben replied with appreciation in his voice.

Michael suggested as he kissed his husband's lips, "Come on, let's go up to bed. I want to show you just how much I love you."

"You read my mind, Michael. I'll race you to the bedroom." Ben said with a twinkle in his eyes.

Ben ran up the stairs taking two at a time. He stopped at the top and waited for Michael. Ben took his husband into his arms and they entered their bedroom. As they stopped at the foot of the bed, Ben took his lover's face into his hands and kissed him tenderly yet with passion.

Michael gave his husband a long and loving kiss in return and whispered, "I love you, Ben, so much. I love the fact that you want to be a dad again. We both have so much love to give and you are great with Hunter and Jenny Rebecca."

With love in his eyes Ben kissed Michael tenderly again on the lips and replied, "You mean everything to me, Baby and I love you with all my heart. What would I ever do without you in my life?"

Ben began unbuttoning his husband's shirt and kissed his exposed skin tenderly. As Ben moved on to his husband's pants, Michael began helping him out of his shirt at the same time. As they stood there naked, Michael put his arms around his husband's neck and pulled him even closer. He caught Ben's lips in a kiss that would knock an ordinary person out. Ben explored his lover's mouth with his tongue and kissed his husband with so much passion he caused Michael to go weak in the knees.

Michael climbed on the bed and encouraged Ben to follow. As they lie face to face looking into each other's eyes and with so much love Michael kissed Ben's ear, sending a shiver through his whole body. Ben moaned and began nibbling on his husband's neck causing Michael to sigh with satisfaction. As he moved down to Michael's chest lovingly kissing and lightly biting as he went, Ben gradually reached his lover's nipples. He kissed, licked and lightly bit them until Michael groaned out loud. Ben knew he had his lover in the right mood at that moment. As he continued his loving attention to Michael, he moved down to his partner's abdomen causing him to shiver with excitement, which encouraged Ben to continue to the object of his desire. Ben took his lover's hard cock into his mouth and began his assault. He kissed up and down Michael's shaft nibbling as he went causing his husband to jerk uncontrollably. Ben released Michael causing him to whimper from the separation.

As they both became aroused Michael rolled over inviting Ben to caress him on his back. Starting at the back of his husband's neck Ben kissed and nibbled his way down Michael's back lightly biting as he went. Michael had to bury his face in the pillow to get his emotions under control.

Ben reached for the lube and a condom. Covering his fingers, he penetrated Michael's opening with one finger, causing him to moan with extreme pleasure. Ben was not through. He inserted a second then a third finger. Michael jerked as Ben moved his fingers in and out.

"Ben, fuck me please, hard. I want to have you inside me now." Michael begged.

In a soothing voice Ben replied, "Be patient, Baby, I want you to enjoy every second of this."

Michael allowed his husband to continue with great anticipation. Ben removed his fingers causing Michael to whimper again from the separation. He next probed Michael with his tongue. Ben thought his husband was going to pass out from sheer excitement. He took the condom and placed it on his own throbbing cock. Ben nudged Michael to get on all fours as he placed his hard cock at Michael's opening and slowly inched his way into his husband.

Michael caught his breath from the temporary pain, which quickly turned into extreme pleasure. Ben stopped to let his lover relax. He began a slow deep rhythm, which quickly brought a deep moan from them both. Michael's breathing became heavy and quick, which caused Ben to quicken his efforts.

Michael pleaded again, "Ben, please fuck me deeper and harder, I'm close."

Ben plunged as deeply as he could, causing his husband to climax violently. Michael tightened around Ben causing him to have his own strong and violent orgasm. Exhausted Ben collapsed beside Michael and scooped his husband into his arms. They couldn't move for the longest time. As they regained their senses and were able to move again, Michael curled up into Ben's arms and just smiled.

"Was that good for you, Baby?" Ben inquired as he gave Michael a kiss on his lips and pulled Michael closer to his warm body.

"Yeah, I'm still weak from the pleasure I felt. I love you Ben." Michael said totally satisfied.

They fell asleep with smiles on their faces and holding each other in their arms. The next morning Ben woke up and just watched Michael sleep. He was still in the same position as the night before and he still had a loving smile on his face. Once again Ben truly realized how lucky he was to have a man like Michael in his life to love him and care for him the same way Ben loved and cared for his husband.

~~~~~~~

Part 2

Two weeks later, Melanie finally called Ben back. "Ben, can Michael and you come over to my office tomorrow?"

"Sure Melanie, what time?" Ben inquired with excitement in his voice.

"I have an opening at 2:00 pm. I think I have some good news for Michael and you." Melanie informed Ben.

"We'll be there. It is going to be difficult to wait until tomorrow now." Ben concluded with a smile on his face.

Ben called Michael at the shop after he had finished his conversation with Melanie. Ben told Michael with great excitement in his voice. "Baby, Melanie called me back a couple of minutes ago. Michael can you be free tomorrow at 2:00 pm. Mel said she wants us to come to her office and talk."

Michael caught his breath and had to steady his nerves as he replied, "I will get me assistance Steven to come in early and take over for me. Do you really think Melanie has found a baby for us to adopt? I know how much you want this, as do I, but I don't want you to be disappointed in any way."

Ben replied with a grin on his face, "Melanie said that she thought she had some good news for us. That is all I know at this time. Now I can be patient, can you?"

Michael laughed out loud and answered. "Now when have I ever been patient? You will have to keep me calm tonight if you know what I mean?"

Ben smiled to himself and whispered, "I know exactly what you mean and I will be glad to keep your mind off of tomorrow. It will help me stay calm too. I will see you tonight Baby, after my last class."

~~~~~~~

The next day Ben and Michael nervously waited outside Melanie's office door. Ben took his husband in his arms and whispered, "Michael, we need to calm down. Let's see what Melanie has found out for us."

"Okay I just hope I don't collapse. I don't think I've been so nervous about anything like this in a long time." Michael said quietly.

Ben whispered in his husband's ear again, "Baby, let me be your support today, I'll hold you up. We are in this together and what ever happens nothing will change that fact."

Melanie appeared. "Come in boys." In the office Melanie sat behind her desk facing Ben and Michael. Melanie continued, "Boys, I have found a young girl, who is having a baby she wants to give up for adoption. I told her that you wanted to adopt a child. She knows you are a loving couple who are gay. She would like to meet you. Is that okay with you?"

Ben smiled as he grabbed Michael's hand. "You just tell us when and where, we'll be there."

"Okay, I'll set it up and let you know when and where later. You know this young girl is really anxious to meet you two. I'll try and set up the meeting as soon as possible. Now I know how you must be feeling but it won't be long now." Melanie concluded.

"Thank you, Melanie for all your help." Ben said in appreciation.

Melanie stopped him short, "Don't thank me yet, Ben. We have a lot of work to do before you can say that. Let's take it one step at a time and see what happens. I'll talk to you later regarding the time and place."

Ben and Michael left Melanie's office and took a long walk. They needed to digest what had just happened. As they walked along Ben put his arm around Michael's waist and pulled him close. Ben began, "Michael, when we get home I need to call my parents. After what happened the last time I left them out of the loop, I want them to be involved this time."

Michael agreed whole heartedly, "I think you're right Ben. We need to let them know they're going to be grandparents again. I'm sure your mom will be as excited as my mom was, the only difference is your mom won't be able to grab us and kiss us like my mom did."

Later that night, after they had finished eating dinner and cleaning the kitchen. Ben sat down on the sofa and asked Michael to join him. "Okay, Michael, I'm going to call Mom and Dad. Will you stay with me while I talk to them?"

Michael replied with a question in his voice. "Alright, Ben but surely they aren't going to be mad this time. They should be happy."

"I know, I just want you near by, you tend to give me courage. All I have to do is to just look at you and I feel as if I can do anything." Ben took Michael by the hand then kissed his lips for moral support.

Michael said supportively, "Okay, let's call them now. I'm sure you are making more out of this than there is but if you need me here I'll stay."

Ben took a deep breath to calm down then picked up the phone. As he dialed his parent's number, he grabbed Michael's hand again to steady his nerves even more. Michael smiled at Ben giving him encouragement. "Honey, it'll be alright. I promise they are going to be very happy about this news. Now just calm down please."

The phone rang and Ben spoke, "Hello, Mom, it is Ben. Can Dad and you get on the phone at the same time? I want to talk to you about something important."

Sandra answered, "Sure, Ben, your father is right here give me a minute." Ben's mother turned and called to his father, "Tom, pick up the phone, Ben wants to talk to us."

"Okay, Sandra, I'm coming. Ben doesn't call us very often I wonder if there is something wrong." Tom yelled from the living room.

Sandra replied, "Alright, Ben, we're both here, what is it? Nothing is wrong is it?"

Ben began slowly, " No everything is really wonderful right now. Michael and I have decided to adopt another child. We wanted to include you in the process this time. I never want you feeling like I'm ignoring you again. Your opinion is important to both of us." Ben sighed and added, "So what do, you think?"

There was silence. Ben looked over at Michael with a worried expression on his face. Finally his parents spoke. First Sandra, "Ben, Sweetheart, I think that's wonderful. I know how much you want to be a father again."

"Mom, it means you'll be a grandmother again. How do you feel about that?" Ben added.

Tom chimed in, "Ben, you have left your mother speechless and that's very hard to do. I think it's great and I can hardly wait to be a grandpa again."

Sandra finally found her voice, "Honey, I think that is great. Do you know when you will find out about a child?"

Ben sighed then continued, "Well, Mom, we have a meeting coming up with a young girl who wants to give her baby up for adoption. I'll keep you posted on what's going on. I love you both very much."

Sandra looked over at her husband with tears in her eyes then concluded, "We love you too, son. Thank you for letting us, know about your wonderful news."

"Bye Mom. Bye Dad. Talk to you again soon." Ben said in conclusion.

As Ben hung up the phone, he looked at Michael with relief on his face. "Well that went better than I thought it would." Ben took a deep breath to calm down even more.

Michael asked with a questioned look on his face. "Ben, what made you think they would be upset? Except for that one outburst they have never been angry."

Nervously Ben looked into Michael's eyes and replied, "I don't know, Baby. With my parents I never quiet know what to expect."

"Well we have their blessing and everything is good to go." Michael said with a smile on his face.

~~~~~~~

The next few weeks were sheer torture for Ben. With no word from Melanie, he started to worry. Ben asked his husband as they were in the kitchen one day. "Michael, I wonder if something's wrong? Melanie is taking so long to call us back. I'm beginning to think this is not going to happen."

Michael tried to calm his husband's fears. "I don't know why it's taking so long, Sweetheart. Maybe Melanie is having trouble getting things set up for the meeting. Let's not over react just yet. Okay? I'm sure nothing is wrong and Melanie will call us as soon as she has the time and place set for us to meet the mother."

Ben sighed as he gazed into his husband's eyes, "I'll try not to worry, Michael. It's just that I want this to work out so badly and I'm having trouble waiting around for Melanie to call us back."

Taking Ben's face in his hands Michael calmly kissed his lips and whispered, "Ben, please calm down. She'll call when everything is set up I promise. We need to somehow take your mind off the fact she hasn't called us back yet."

"Okay, Baby. I tell you what, let's go take a drive and get me out of the house for a while. We'll have our cell phones with us in case Melanie calls." Ben finally suggested.

Michael agreed with a smile, "Sounds like great idea, let's go. Now let's try not to think about anything except each other for right now."

Ben and Michael drove out of the city and found a quiet park where they stopped and took a long walk. Michael pulled his husband into his arms and kissed him. He noticed Ben was still uptight so Michael decided to help him relax. "Ben, come over here, let's sit down under this tree."

They walked over and sat down under a beautiful old oak tree. Ben put his arm around Michael's shoulder and pulled him close. They sat there without moving for the longest time. Michael looked up into his husband's face and saw worry lines. Michael said lovingly but firmly. "Ben, please let it go. Melanie is working on this and everything will be alright."

"I know. I'll do my best. Baby, I'm finding it so hard just sitting around and waiting. I'm used to doing things myself. The waiting is driving me up the wall. Do you have any suggestions?" Ben said finally with a sigh.

"Here, Sweetheart, let me give you a massage. Maybe I can help you relax a little bit. It is so difficult to watch you work yourself into this state of mind." Michael had a gleam in his eyes as he spoke.

Ben lay down on his stomach and waited for his husband to begin but Michael had another activity in mind. He caressed Ben's hips and kissed him on his neck sending a shiver down Ben's spine.

"Michael, I thought you were going to give me a massage?" Ben said with a smile on his face. He knew what was coming. Ben knew his partner very well so he decided to play along.

Michael continued, "I am, just in a different way, now stop complaining and relax. What I have in mind will totally relax you all over."

Ben complied as Michael straddled his husband and began nibbling the sensitive spot on his ear. Michael felt his lover relax as continued his assault. Michael ordered, "Ben, roll over."

Ben rolled over and gazed into Michael's loving face, "Sure Baby, what do you have in mind?" Ben said with a smile on his face.

Michael said with a smirk on his face. "I'll show you, just be patient. As you are always telling me, I want you to enjoy every minute of this."

Michael cuddled up next to Ben and put his head on his husband's chest. He began running his hand in circles over Ben's nipples, causing him to sigh with satisfaction.

"Baby, I hope you came prepared for this little adventure? I wouldn't want to have to stop because we weren't prepared." Ben questioned.

"I always come prepared." Michael said confidently. With that bit of information, Ben totally put himself into Michael's capable hands. Michael sat up taking Ben's face in his hands and kissed his husband's lips tenderly and with such passion. Ben put his arm around Michael's waist and pulled him closer. They only separated in order to catch their breath then continued. With his tongue Michael explored Ben's mouth as their passion grew.

Michael reached for the buttons on Ben's shirt. As he unbuttoned each one at a time, he kissed the newly exposed skin all the way down, finally reaching Ben's pants. Michael sat up again as Ben reached up and helped his husband out of his shirt. Running his hands down Michael's chest he pulled him down for another passionate kiss.

As they kissed each other on the neck and shoulders, Michael pulled away to continue his loving attention to his husband's chest. He licked, nibbled and lightly bit Ben's nipples until he moaned with sheer desire. Michael removed Ben's pants, then his own. Completely naked they lay in the cool grass, wrapped in each other's arms. Ben whispered, "Baby, please make love to me. I need to feel you inside me."

Michael continued his loving attentions to Ben as he moved down to his lover's abs. Caressing Ben, Michael took his husband's hard dick in his hands and massaged the shaft tenderly up and down. Ben moaned and bit his bottom lip in order to stay in control. Next Michael took a condom and protected Ben's cock. Taking him into his mouth, Michael lavished his loving attention on the object of his desire.

Ben begged, "Michael, take me now. I don't know how long I can wait and stay in control."

Taking a page from his husband's book of love making, Michael whispered, "Ben, slow down, I want you to relax and enjoy this."

Michael nudged Ben, who rolled over and waited. Michael took the lube and covered his fingers. Inserting two then three fingers he pushed deep into his husband. Ben jerked with pleasure. "Please Baby, harder." Ben pleaded.

"Be patient, Sweetheart. I'll make it worth your while." Michael said as he softly kissed his husband's neck. Michael continued his rhythm in and out until he felt Ben was close. He removed his fingers causing his husband to whimper from the temporary separation. Next he took a condom and placed in on his own hard, throbbing dick. Placing himself at Ben's opening he inched slowly into his lover, causing him to groan with pain and pleasure. Michael stopped allowing Ben to relax. He continued his slow penetration until he was fully and deeply into his husband.

Ben pleaded again, "Baby, I'm close don't stop"

Michael continued his rhythm until he felt Ben coming. As Ben achieved his orgasm, he caused Michael to have his own violent climax. Exhausted they collapsed and Ben rolled over and took Michael into his arms. They lay there until they had completely recovered, each with a satisfied look on his face.

"Ben, how do you feel now?" Michael asked as he kissed his husband lovingly.

"I'm totally relaxed now, thanks Baby. You know you always seem to know just the right way to help me when I'm tense or worried about something. What would I ever do without you in my life?" Ben replied exhausted.

Part 3 May 30

A week later Melanie called with a day and time for the meeting. Ben could hardly wait for the day to arrive. Michael did his best to keep his husband calm and focused on his everyday tasks. Finally the day for the meeting arrived. Ben and Michael got to Melanie's office early so they could get more information about the young girl. Melanie informed them, "Boys, her name is Judy Thompson and she is 17 years old. Her family has kicked her out because of the baby so she has nowhere to live. She came to me for help and I thought of you."

"How are we supposed to help?" Michael asked.

Melanie answered, "That's what this meeting will determine. Now don't panic, this happens all the time and it always works out."

Ben inquired, "Melanie, when is she due to have the baby? Do we have enough time to settle everything legally?"

Melanie answered, "Ben, she is seven months along. We have plenty of time to make things legal. Now let me handle the logistics, okay."

The door opened and Judy entered. She looked scared as Melanie introduced everyone. "Judy, this is Michael Novotny and Ben Bruckner. They want to adopt your baby."

Ben greeted Judy, "Hello Judy, nice to meet you. My name is Ben. Would you like to sit down?" Judy sat down in the nearest chair. Michael sat in the chair nearest Melanie's desk and Ben stood behind him. After two hours of discussion, Melanie finally had things worked out to every ones satisfaction. Judy was going to stay with Debbie and Carl in their extra bedroom until the baby was born. Ben and Michael wanted to make sure she was taken care of properly.

[Emmett had moved out when Drew and he got back together. This left his room empty.]

After the meeting, Michael called Debbie. "Mom, I need your help."

"Sure Michael, what do you need? I will be glad to help you if I can." Debbie replied.

Michael continued, "Can Judy stay with you until the baby comes? She has no place to live. You can help me look after her, okay."

Debbie answered, "I don't know Michael, I'll need to talk to Carl about this. He is apart of this situation too and if he is all right with this then we can help."

Michael pleaded, "Please Mom. It's only until the baby is born. Besides I want to make sure she stays healthy and takes care of herself."

Debbie finally agreed, "Okay, Honey, Carl will be alright with it. I can do it for my grandchild. Do you know if the baby is a boy or a girl yet?"

Michael's answer was, "Not yet. We're going with her to her next doctor's visit. We'll probably find out then and I'll keep you posted on everything we learn. Mom, thanks again for helping. We'll bring her by tomorrow and get her settled into your spare room. I love you so much for doing this for us."

With the papers signed, sealed and delivered, Ben and Michael began their preparations to become dads again. Judy moved in with Debbie and felt good about her choice. Debbie and the boys watched over her to make sure she was always okay.

The day of the doctor's visit arrived. Ben and Michael were so nervous as they waited in the outer office with Judy. The nurse called, "Judy Thompson, the doctor will see you now." They all stood up and followed the nurse to the examination room. After a five minute wait the doctor entered.

Judy introduced them, "Dr. Roberts, this is Ben Bruckner and Michael Novotny. They are adopting my baby."

Dr. Roberts spoke, "Nice to meet you. Judy is on schedule and doing fine. Everything's okay, so don't look so worried."

"Dr. Roberts, can we find out the sex of the baby today?" Ben asked.

"Yes, Mr. Bruckner, we can perform an ultra sound and see if we can tell the sex of the baby." answered Dr. Roberts. During the test a look came over the doctor's face, which caused Ben and Michael some concern.

Michael looked pale, "Is something wrong with the baby?"

Dr. Roberts answered calmly, "No, Mr. Novotny, nothing is wrong. Everything is great. For the first time I've noticed more than two feet." With a look of shock on their faces, Ben and Michael looked to the doctor for an explanation. "Boys, it looks like you are going to be fathers of twins," said Dr. Roberts.

Ben had to put his arm around Michael's waist to keep him from collapsing. "Dr. Roberts, are you sure?" Ben questioned.

"There is no doubt about it. I see four legs and arms. There are two heads. It's true." Dr. Roberts replied.

"Are they girls or boys?" Ben asked

Dr. Roberts replied, "Let me see if I can tell." The doctor examined the screen and saw what he was looking for. Dr. Roberts answered. "Mr. Bruckner, it looks like you are having a boy and a girl. Congratulations!!!!"

Michael took a deep breath to keep from passing out and stated. "Well Ben, we need more furniture and double of everything. Ma is going to flip out."

"Thank you, Dr. Roberts. You have given us the best news ever." Ben said as he smiled and took his husband's hand.

"You're very welcome Mr. Bruckner." Dr. Roberts responded.

"See you at the next visit doctor." Michael said as the three of them left the doctor's office.

~~~~~~~

That night Ben and Michael made two phone calls. The first was to Debbie and Carl. Michael began, "Ma, we have great news."

"What is it Michael? Did you find out if you are having a boy or a girl?" Debbie asked.

Michael continued in excitement, "Yes, both. The doctor told us that Judy's having twins, a boy and a girl."

"Michael, are you pulling my leg?" Debbie asked again.

Michael replied, "No Ma, it's true. The doctor performed an ultra sound test and saw the two babies. We're going to need a lot more things, will you help?"

"No problem, I'll be glad to. Have you thought about names yet?" Debbie said in excitement.

"We just found out about the twins this afternoon. We haven't had time to think about anything yet." Michael answered.

Debbie demanded, "Why didn't Judy tell me? She didn't say a word when she came home but now that I think about it she had a great big smile on her face. That stinker!!"

Michael took a deep breath, "Sorry Mom but we swore her to secrecy. I wanted to tell you myself, please don't be mad at Judy. We've got to go Mom. We need to call Ben's parents now. Talk to you later. Bye."

With love in her voice Debbie said, "Bye, Sweetheart and congratulations."

The next call was to Ben's parents. The phone rang and Sandra answered. Ben spoke first, "Hello, Mom. We wanted to call and let you know some great news. Would you get Dad on the phone please?"

"Hold on Ben, I will call your father now." Sandra said, she then turned and called to her husband, "Tom it is Ben. Pick up the phone in the kitchen."

Tom came on the phone, "Okay, Ben, your mom and I are on the phone. What is the news your want to tell us, son?"

Ben began slowly, "Michael and I just found out, Judy is having twins, a boy and a girl. The doctor did an ultra sound test and saw the babies today. Needless to say Michael and I were totally surprised."

Sandra squealed, "How wonderful! Ben, are you two prepared to bring two children home? You are going to need double of everything and loads of help."

"We will be ready by the time the babies are born. Mom, I couldn't be happier. I feel blessed two times over." Ben couldn't stop smiling.

"When are they due to be born?" Tom asked.

"Dad, Judy is seven months along. We have time to get completely prepared. We may need your help now and then though." Ben answered.

Sandra chimed in, "That's great. We can come for a visit and give you a hand when you are ready. There will be times you will need to get out by yourselves and if we can help, we will."

Ben agreed, "Okay, Mom, we'll let you know the best time to come. Thank you for your offer to help us out. I promise to always include you and let you help out. Talk to you later. Bye."

Part 4

The next six weeks were spent getting ready for the two new arrivals. Michael and Ben busied themselves getting the babies' room ready. They needed another crib and changing table. They repainted the room from pink to green. They got new bedding in yellow and green so the babies would each have their own bed.

Michael and Ben enlisted Debbie and Sandra's help to make sure they had all they needed. The girls got them everything from clothes and diapers to bottles and formula.

While this was going on Ben and Michael went to the doctor visits and birth classes. They both wanted to be in the delivery room to help coach Judy through her labor. They had only two weeks until the expected day of birth, and Ben and Michael felt they were totally ready for the big day.

July 28

A week later Debbie called with an excitement in her voice. Breathless she said, "Ben, Honey, it is time. Judy's water just broke and we're heading to the hospital. We called Dr. Roberts and he is going to meet us there."

A look of shock came over Ben's face as he questioned, "Debbie, are you sure? This could just be a false alarm couldn't it?"

Debbie spoke with a positive tone in her voice. "No, her contractions are ten minutes apart. Get yourselves in gear. This is it!!!"

Ben was beaming as he spoke, "Okay, tell Judy we'll meet you at the hospital." He turned to his husband and said, "Michael, Baby, we're about to become fathers. Come on, we need to get to the hospital quick. Your mom and Carl are taking Judy there right now and we need to get going."

Michael became frantic, "But Ben, isn't it too soon? There is still a week to go. Is Mom sure about this?"

With a look of amusement and love, Ben pulled his husband into his arms and replied, "Michael, the doctor told us two weeks ago it could be anytime. When we come home we'll be fathers again. Can you believe it?"

Michael pulled Ben even closer with tears in his eyes and whispered. "Hold me tight. I need to calm down. Are you sure we're doing the right thing? Maybe we are biting off more than we can chew."

Ben looked confused then a smile came over his face as he replied. "Now, who's scared? Come on Baby, everything is going to be fine. Let's go to the hospital and help with our children. Believe it or not by the end of the day we will meet our new son and daughter."

Ben and Michael thought they would never get to the hospital. Finally Ben pulled up to the front door and found a parking space near by. Michael jumped out of the car and started to run. Ben grabbed him by the arm and calmly said, "Michael slow down, we should have enough time. We don't need to run."

Michael said breathlessly, "Ben, I just don't want to be late. We need to be with Judy to coach her though her contractions."

Ben tried to calm his excited husband, "Your mom and Carl are with her. She is fine for now. Please, Baby take a deep breath, we'll get there soon enough."

Ben put his arm around Michael's waist and pulled him close. They slowly walked into the hospital and found their way to the maternity floor. They reached Judy's room just as she screamed out in pain and Michael almost fainted on the spot.

Debbie saw them and yelled, "Hold on you two. This is what you wanted, now get over here and take over."

Ben said as they approached, "Alright Debbie, we'll be fine." Ben and Michael went to Judy, one on each side and took control. Ben inquired, "How far apart are the contractions now?"

Debbie answered with a grin on her face, "They are now five minutes apart. But Ben, it could still be hours before the babies come."

Debbie was right, five hours later they were still waiting. Dr. Roberts came in periodically to check on Judy's progress. Michael asked with a worried look on his face, "Dr. Roberts, how much longer will it take? She is in so much pain, can you do anything for her?"

With a calm look and tone Dr. Roberts said, "Mr. Novotny, Judy is close. It won't be much longer. Just keep her calm and while you're at it, yourselves too."

After three more hours the nurses finally came in to take Judy to the delivery room. They informed Ben and Michael, "Mr. Bruckner and Mr. Novotny, you need to go and change. I'll take you to the delivery room when you are ready."

Ben said, trying to stay as calm as possible, "Thank you nurse. Come on Michael, let's go and become fathers."

Michael took Ben's hand as they walked out of the room and headed to the changing room. One hour later, Ben and Michael came out to find Debbie and Carl. By that time Melanie and Lindsay had come to the hospital and joined in on the waiting. Ben gave Debbie a big hug, "You are a grandma again. How does it feel?"

Debbie kissed Ben and grabbed Michael in her arms, "It feels great. Are the babies alright and what about Judy?'

Michael chimed in, "Judy and the babies are fine, Mom. She really had no trouble at all."

Debbie asked as she tried to contain her excitement, "When can we see Judy and the twins? I don't know how long I can wait to see my two, gosh I can hardly believe that one, adorable grandchildren."

Michael answered, "They said it would be about thirty minutes. The nurses want to clean the twins up and run a couple of test first. Mom, you can go to the nursery and see them."

Ben added with a big grin on his face, "Debbie, the babies are beautiful. I can hardly wait to get them home."

With a look of satisfaction on her face Debbie said, "Enjoy them now Ben, when they start crying in the middle of the night you will change your mind."

With pride in his voice Michael said, "Mom, I'm not worried. I remember how good Ben was with Jenny Rebecca. We'll be fine, but feel free to come and help out when ever you want too."

Ben looked as if he had lost something. He turned to his husband and said, "Michael, that reminds me, we need to call Mom and Dad." Ben and Michael found a quiet place, outside the hospital, to make their call. With excitement in his voice Ben said, "Dad, it is Ben. Get Mom, we have news."

Tom called to his wife. "Sandra, Ben is on the phone pick up."

Ben's mom answered the phone excitedly. "Ben, are the twins here?"

Ben answered with pride, "Yes Mom, they were born just about twenty minutes ago. Judy and the babies are fine but we wanted to let you know. Mom, I saw them, they are so beautiful. I can hardly wait to get them home and have you come down and see them for yourselves."

Sandra replied gratefully, "Thank you, Sweetheart. Let us know when you are settled in with the twins and we'll come for a visit. I don't know how long I can wait to see my grandchildren. You will call us often and give us a progress report, won't you?"

"Of course, Mom. Give us a few weeks to get the babies settled then you can come for that visit. I promise to call you a lot and let you know what is going on with the twins." Ben replied.

Tom asked, "Have you decided on names yet?"

Ben took a deep breath and grabbed Michael's hand before he answered. "Dad, with everything happening so fast, we haven't had time to think. We'll let you know as soon as we do."

Sandra told Ben, "Okay, now go and give my grandchildren a kiss for me."

"No problem, that won't be hard to do. See you two in a few weeks. I love you, Mom and Dad. Talk to you later." Ben put his arm around Michael's shoulder as they started to walk into the hospital.

Tom ended the call with, "Bye son, we love you too."

As Ben hung up, Michael put his arms around his husband's waist. Ben grinned with pride and said, "Baby, I'm so happy. Now we need to pick out some names. Have you thought anymore about what you want to name these two adorable children?"

"We can do that tonight after we get home. For right now let's go and see our son and daughter." Michael said as he gave Ben a kiss on the lips.

Ben said with a twinkle in his eye, "Okay, but after we get home I want to show you just how much I love you. Michael, we need to take advantage of the quiet while we can. Once we bring the twins home our lives are going to change forever."

Michael agreed, "You're right Ben. Now let's go see the kids. We can hold and rock them for a while. You know it will take both of us to handle them, but we're up for the challenge."

Later that night after Ben and Michael got into bed. Ben put his arms around his husband and pulled him close, Michael looked at his lover with a huge smile on his face and asked. "Ben what are we going to name the twins?"

Ben spoke up with excitement, "I have a couple of ideas. Michael, what do you think of Angela Louise for the girl and Robert Douglas for the boy? We can call them Angie and Bob or maybe Doug."

Michael smiled at his husband and agreed, "Those are great names, Sweetheart. Tomorrow we can go and introduce Angela Louise and Robert Douglas to the world."

Ben said as he pulled Michael close and kissed him, "Thank you, Baby, now come here and I'll show you just how much I love you. The children are important to me but if I didn't have you in my life none of it would be worth it. I love you Michael with all of my heart and I always want you to know just how important you are to me."

After a night of making love and a good relaxing sleep, Ben woke up early. With the events of the previous day racing through his mind, he just lay on his side and watched Michael sleep.

Michael slowly opened his eyes and lovingly looked at his husband, "Ben, what is it? Is something wrong I don't know about? Are the children okay nothing happened to them did it?"

Ben looked down at his worried husband and gently kissed him on the lips and whispered, "No, Baby, the children are fine and there is nothing wrong. I'm just replaying everything in my mind. We really are dads again aren't we?"

Michael smiled and gave Ben a loving squeeze then replied, "Yes Ben, we really are dads. Now let's get up, have some breakfast and go to the hospital to see Angie and Bobby."

Without letting his husband go, Ben agreed, "That sounds like a good idea. Let's go. But first, Michael, I want to show you again just how much I love you. I never want you to doubt my feelings for you."

With that Ben took Michael into his arms and made passionate love to the man he adored more than life itself until they collapsed from sheer exhaustion. Michael leaned back into his husband's loving arms with a satisfied grin on his face and Ben knew he had gotten his message properly conveyed.

~~~~~~~

As they arrived at the hospital, Melanie was waiting to see them. Ben looked worried and inquired, "Melanie, is something wrong? Are the twins alright?"

Melanie replied, "The twins are fine. We may have a little problem though."

Ben asked quickly, "Has Judy changed her mind about letting us adopt the twins?"

Melanie responded, "No, Ben, it's not Judy. The babies' father has shown up. Before we can finalize the adoption we have to get his signature. He has to give up his rights as the father."

Michael chimed in, "Have you spoken to him yet? Is he going to cause us any trouble?" Turning to Ben he said, "Sweetheart, what will we do if he tries to prevent us from adopting the Angie and Bobby? I don't think I can bare having them taken away from us before we even get to take them home." Michael looked at Melanie again and asked, "Melanie what do we do now?"

Melanie gave them a puzzled look and said, "I don't know yet. Let's go and talk to him. If we are lucky he will sign the papers and we'll have no problems at all, but if he decides to take the children, we may have to go to court. Judy is the primary person to say who will get her children but he can cause trouble."

After a tense two hours of talking, the father, Jacob Lewis, signed the papers giving up his parental rights. Ben and Michael gave a sigh of relief as they went to see their son and daughter. Now Angie and Bobby were truly theirs'.

Three days later Ben, Michael, Debbie, Carl and Hunter walked out of the hospital with the two newest members of the family. Angela Louise and Robert Douglas Novotny-Bruckner went home with their two dads, brother and grandparents.

Ben and Michael had long sleepless nights ahead of them, but they had their children in their arms. They could handle anything that came along, as long as they were together as a family.

That night as they fed and settled the twins down Ben stayed with Angie and Bobby for most of that time. Michael watched his husband with so much love in his heart. Michael suggested, "Ben, you need to get some rest. Please come to bed."

Ben gave Michael a worried look, "What if they wake up? I want to make sure we hear them. They are going to need us for everything and I don't want to be a bad father."

Michael laughed and gave Ben a loving squeeze, "Sweetheart, they will let us know and you are going to be a wonderful father. Angie and Bobby couldn't have anyone else who will love them more than you and I do right now. Please, Sweetheart, come to bed. You can't do them any good if you are exhausted."

Ben finally agreed, "You're right Michael. I'll be there in a minute. I just want to make sure they are okay before I do." Ben gently kissed his son and daughter on the forehead and went to lie down with Michael. Curled up in each other's arms Ben smiled down at his husband with complete satisfaction as he whispered. "Baby, I feel like the luckiest man on earth. I have a wonderful and adoring husband, who I love with all of my heart and three children to love and care for always. Angie and Bobby are so beautiful and I'm so glad they have joined our little family."

Michael looked into his lover's cool blue eyes and replied, "I know, Ben, I feel the same way. Are you happy?"

With a smile on his face and his husband in his arms Ben proclaimed, "I've never been happier, well almost. The day we got married equals how I feel at this very moment. I am a DAD and it is wonderful. I now know how you feel about Jenny Rebecca."

Michael said with so much love in his heart. "I'm glad you're happy Ben. Now we need to get some rest before the twins wake up again. They are going to demand all of our attention for sometime to come. We need to rest when we can or we won't have the energy to take care of our children. Wow that sounds great, OUR CHILDREN."

The two men relaxed and slept in each other's arms for as long as they could. With more love in their hearts for Hunter and each other, they found they had more than enough love for Angie and Bobby too. They were dads again and they loved each and every moment of everyday they spent with them. Their family was now complete.

BEN RECEIVED HIS WISH. HE WAS A DAD TO THREE WONDERFUL CHILDREN.

End of I Want To Be A Dad
Next: Our Two Dads
Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:44:42 PM
Contact author at madelyn1116@verizon.net

More by PA-Mado

back to fiction index page