TITLE: Going Up The Country - Part 4

Oh yeah, he thought. He'd been running on hot since Scully walked into his office over 7 years ago. He knew the double entendre of the words 'it was hard' all right.

Kevin looked up at him and wrinkled his brow.

"Yeah...well what do 'you' do about the...hard-ons?" he whispered. "I mean...man...it's embarrassing," he added, choking the words out.

Skinner clamped down on the explosive snort of laughter that almost exploded out of him. He instead nodded in sympathy and clapped Kevin on the back.

"Cold showers...exercise...and when nothing else works...jerking off," he reeled off bluntly.

Kevin snorted a loud laugh, and looked down at his shoes.

"Shit, Walter," he laughed, the back of his neck beet red.

"Kevin, I don't think anyone is meant to suffer 24/7 without some relief," Skinner commented, chuckling.

Kevin nodded, still sputtering a little in embarrassment.

"Yeah, my dad kind of had the same opinion," he answered ducking his head a little. He ran his hand through his spiky hair.

Skinner ceased laughing and clapped the kid on the back again.

"Your dad sounds like an ok, guy, Kevin. Talk to him and your mom. I think you'll find they're more sympathetic than you thought. Take your time and be respectful and intelligent about posing your questions...even if you get into a debate. They'll probably return your conduct. I bet things will turn out fine," Skinner finished, taking his hand away.

"Yes, sir," Kevin replied, looking up and smiling at Skinner.

"What's fine?" a feminine voice came from behind them. Both men turned around to see Scully coming out onto the screened in porch dressed in a comfortable pair of gray FBI issue sweats. Skinner stood and after a puzzled second Kevin stood up as well. Both men smoothed down the front of their jeans with a reflexive gesture and Skinner grinned a little when Scully noticed the mirrored movement and smiled at them both.

Kevin started to turn an even deeper red and Skinner ran a hand over the back of his neck. Scully took in the scene and her smile turned gently wry.

"Private discussion?" she asked quietly.

"Yes, I'd say so," Skinner rumbled, clearing his throat.

Kevin looked down at his feet.

"You going to be ok?" Skinner asked, looking at Kevin, his brow furrowed. Kevin looked up at him then.

"Yeah, actually I think I am. Thanks, Walter," he replied, his voice deeper as he tried to sound more mature.

"Good deal," Skinner replied gruffly, nodding.

Scully smiled at Skinner and then at Kevin.

"I'd better go to bed," Kevin replied, yawning a little. "Long day," he added, giving both Skinner and Scully a self-deprecating smile.

"I hear you," Skinner chuckled.

"Coincidentally, I came down to tell you the shower was available," she informed Skinner as Kevin opened the door.

"Ah ha. Thank you. I think a long soak under a hot shower spray is in order," Skinner replied, cracking his neck again.

"Good night, Agent Scully," Kevin told her as he opened the porch door and walked past her. The screen door closed behind him.

"Good night, Kevin. You really were outstanding on that guitar," she replied as he started to head into the kitchen.

"Hey...thanks," he turned and smiled at her. "That really does mean a lot to me," he nodded, looking towards Skinner. "Thanks again, Walter...for the duet...and for the talk," he finished.

"Anytime, Kevin," Skinner rumbled, smiling.

Kevin nodded, turned and left them alone. Skinner walked over and opened the door, entering the porch to stand next to Scully.

"Neck bothering you?" she asked, concerned, reaching up to feel at his muscles.

"I guess I was a little more tense about that performance. How's your arm? You were doing a pretty credible job of fielding in 'A League of Their Own," he replied, teasing her a little.

She chuckled and flexed her catching arm.

"The arm's good as new," she replied. Then she chuckled. "Did you see that movie?" she asked.

"Yeah...Bill Murray was pretty good in that one," he replied, giving her a smirk.

"You are so full of shit. Which one was it...Geena Davis or Madonna?" Scully replied, giving him a little goose in the side as he put his arm around her waist and they started to walk into the house.

"Geena Davis is too tall for my tastes. Not that she isn't a beautiful woman," he rumbled as they walked into the kitchen. He released her in order to shut the back door and lock it.

"Thought so," Scully replied, laughing musically.

"I like petite women with great..." Skinner began.

"Don't go there," Scully mock frowned and he barked a laugh.

"I was going to say a great batting technique," he deadpanned.

"Uh huh," Scully raised her eyebrows. Skinner grinned at her. "Come on upstairs and shower...I'll massage your neck for you afterwards," she added.

"Thanks, sport," he replied with a chuckle.

She stuck her tongue out at him and laughing, he took her hand as they walked up to the master bedroom together.

Later, freshly showered, his skin warm and tingly despite the AC, Skinner lay in the middle of the bed, a towel wrapped around his waist, as Scully straddled him, massaging his neck. She was still dressed in her sweats and Skinner could feel the material against his thighs where the towel had ridden up as she knelt into the force of her hands on his muscles. The room was semi-dark again. Only the light from the bathroom softly illuminated them. They had been talking quietly, keeping their voices down in deference to the sleeping household, even though they knew the master bedroom was more insulated as well as isolated for privacy reasons.

"You have strong hands," Skinner grunted as she worked on a particularly recalcitrant knot.

"I still work out. I might have been looking for a gym if we hadn't been putting in a full day of labor on the farm," she answered.

"Hmm...yeah. I haven't even been running or lifting myself. I'm getting a full workout around here every day too. But when I leave and meet you...we'll have to try running and working out together," Skinner replied, his shoulders sinking into the bed a little as Scully pushed harder.

 

Scully moved close to his ear and giving a throaty chuckle, replied.

"I thought we were doing that already."

Skinner's laughter rumbled low in his chest.

"You're keeping one part of me in shape for sure," he replied, his voice husky.

Scully laughed and continued the massage. Finally she patted his back.

"How's that feel?" she asked.

He rolled his shoulders.

"It feels phenomenal. Thank you, Doctor Scully," Skinner replied, shifting to signal he wanted to get up. "Why don't I return the favor?" he added with a smile.

"Very considerate of you, Mr. Skinner," Scully replied a smile in her voice. She slid off him and he sat up.

"Take your sweats off and lie on your stomach," he suggested, gesturing for her to lie down. She nodded, dragging at the sweatshirt and smoothly lifting it up over her head. She scooted over to the edge of the bed, swung her legs off and pulled the bottoms off as well. Both parts of the sweats went sailing onto a nearby chair.

"Three points," Skinner quipped as they landed perfectly over the back. Skinner pulled the towel from around his waist and shoved it over to the side.

"Thank you," Scully chuckled as she crawled back over and lay down flat on her stomach. She placed her cheek against the bed and her arms relaxed at her sides. Skinner moved over and straddled her thighs.

"Comfortable?" he asked quietly.

"Hmm hmm," she murmured.

"If I'm too rough, just let me know," he replied.

Scully nodded and he began to massage her shoulders.

He loved the texture of her skin. It was soft with almost an inner glow...like warm, exquisite silk. He knew he would always love the feel of her body. She'd always be beautiful to him because he reveled in touching her now no matter how many scars she had, or regardless of any other imperfections. Neither age nor injury would mar her in his eyes. The wonder of being able to touch her warm skin would never wane.

He was interested to see as his hands moved over her muscles that she wasn't as pale now on her arms and neck. She'd been kissed just enough by the sun to make her a slight golden color where her T-shirt hadn't been covering. She'd even freckled a little. He liked that too he thought as he leaned into his hands and massaged on either side of her spine.

"Oh...that feels great," she mumbled as he worked on her trapezius muscles.

"You're a little tight through here," he advised, pulling her muscles away from a particularly tight spot.

"I'll make sure I remember that when I work out," she murmured her reply again.

Skinner massaged that bit loose and then proceeded down her back. He worked in silence just enjoying the feeling of making her muscles warm and loose under his hands. Finally he'd reached her ass and Skinner splayed his hands out over her glutes squeezing and kneading them with equal vigor. He heard the intake of her breath as he pushed her into the bed a little with the force of his massage. Then she sighed and he felt her give into the movement. He knew he was rubbing her clit against the mattress. It was deliberate. He figured from her earlier comment in regards to working out that she might be in the mood for that particular type of horizontal exercise. But even if this was just a massage that would be fine too because it felt good just to enjoy helping her to relax. He smiled as he leaned into her again and her breathing started to quicken however.

"Feel good?" he asked, his voice a low purr as he bent over her.

"Oh yes," she replied, her words followed by a breathy chuckle. She arched her ass up a little, forcing her cheeks into his hands as he kneaded her harder.

Skinner levered up slightly and bent down over her to whisper in her ear.

"You're hot for it, aren't you?" he growled, letting his cock trail over where he'd been rubbing.

She laughed and wriggled her ass up under him.

"You have such a way with words," she teased.

"I have many talents," he chuckled, moving down again and trailing his hand between her legs. She was slick under his fingers. He inserted one finger into her vagina and she spread her legs a little as he pumped it in and out slowly.

"So I see," she replied, her voice low and sultry. She rocked her hips into his hand and into the bed as well, rubbing her clit.

"Hmm...that's nice," he whispered. "Warm and wet," he told her. "I like putting my cock in a nice, warm, wet cunt."

"Put it in then," she replied, her voice low and sultry.

"When I'm ready," he teased her, inserting another finger as he said it.

"I can wait," she retorted, her words ending on a gasp as he angled down and brushed her G-spot.

Skinner chuckled.

"I'll make it worth the wait, lover," he replied, gathering a liberal amount of her juices on the index finger of his free hand. He continued to thrust his fingers into her and then carefully brought his other hand down between her ass cheeks. "I'm just going to touch you here," he whispered, fingering her anus. He felt her tense up a little.

"Um..." she started to gasp out.

"Have you ever done this?" he asked slowing his fingers in her vagina to a gentle pumping. "Do you want me to stop?" he added quickly.

"No...to both questions," she replied, her voice musing. "We...I mean Mulder and I never practiced that particular form of lovemaking," she added somewhat breathlessly. "But I was always curious to see what it would feel...oh...God...that's good," she gasped as Skinner teased her G-spot again. He grinned.

"Well...why don't I try a finger here. We don't have to go all the way tonight though. Some lube and a condom would be advisable if we go here. But see how this feels. If it's painful, tell me and I'll stop right away. But if you like it maybe you'd like to take my cock sometime," he replied gently pressing against her anus and then into her body slightly.

"It doesn't feel bad," she murmured.

"Ok, take a deep breath," he instructed her. She did and he gently pushed his finger into her rectum.

"Oh...that...does...feel interesting," she gasped a little.

Skinner started to carefully thrust his finger in and out of her ass.

"Oh..." Scully groaned

"Good?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied, arching up a little.

He started to simultaneously finger fuck her ass and her cunt then, slowly at first and then as her hips started to rock back and forth harder, he picked up the pace. He watched his hands moving in and out of her flesh and his mouth parted, slackening with his own arousal. He started to breathe faster, almost in time with Scully's heavy breathing. He murmured words of encouragement to her, telling her what a turn-on she was for him, how incredibly fantastic she looked and how he really loved seeing her move with such abandon for him again. It was wonderful and he was so aroused he could barely hang on as Scully eagerly met his thrusting hands.

"Oh my God, oh my God," Scully gasped, bucking up into him. Skinner moved in close and humped his cock in between where his fingers were deep inside her, and her thigh where the sweat was making a slippery passage for him. His own pre-cum added to the mix and his cock slid back and forth easily.

"Jesus...you have such coordination," Scully laughed. Skinner laughed as well but shortly the position was too awkward and he pulled his cock out and just concentrated on her pleasure.

"Oh, oh, oh," she gasped.

"Oh yeah, baby. Feel that. Someday soon that's gonna be my cock fucking your sweet ass," he whispered bending down over her again and pumping both his hands forcefully. "Maybe I'll put a dildo up here at the same time," he purred, stroking her G-spot.

"God!" she cried out, rubbing herself furiously on the bed. Then she went completely stiff under him and he could feel the muscles in her ass and her vagina tighten down on his fingers.

"There we go," he mumbled, stroking slowly and deliberately as she ground herself against the mattress. She jerked under him.

"Ohhhhhh!" she moaned, squeezing against his fingers and he stilled them inside her. Her hips pumped a few more times and then she collapsed flat, breathing hard. Skinner removed his hands from her body. He wiped his hands on the towel that had been around his waist and lay down next to Scully, rubbing her back.

"Ok?" he asked her after a moment.

"It made the wait very worthwhile," she mumbled, chuckling.

He lay down on his side and caressed her back again. She turned her head to look into his eyes.

"Thank you," she added, smiling at him. He smiled at her and kissed her forehead.

"I'm glad it was good for you," he husked. "Get your breath back," he added with a slow grin.

She chuckled.

"Round two," she replied, glancing between his legs. She licked her lips and looked back up at him. He felt a raw bolt of lust pierce him like an arrow.

"At least," he chuckled and she laughed with unrestrained pleasure.

He reached forward, took his cock in hand, and started to fist himself to get it completely up. God...he really was turned on he thought as his hands moved up and down his swelling flesh. It only took him a few firm pumps and his cock was hard and more than ready to go into action.

When he looked at Scully again she rose up on her hands and knees. He rolled up onto his knees and shifted in behind her. His cock bumped up against her labia and she spread her legs apart a little more to allow him access.

"Put it in," she whispered, urging him with a tilting up of her hips.

"Woman...I gotta warn you. I'm damn hot here," he replied. "This is gonna be a hard, fast ride," he added in way of warning. He knew once he was in her he was going to lose it. Thrust like hell and probably come fairly quickly. He was almost embarrassed about how aroused he was this time, how close to coming. He wanted to make sure she realized what was in the offing so she'd be prepared to go with it.

"I'm ready," she replied, her voice showing much less breathlessness.

She braced herself and he parted her folds. Moving forward he wiggled the head of his cock into her a little and then took her hips and rocked forward with one smooth, steady thrust.

"I love this," she whispered as he ended up flush against her ass.

"Uhyeah," he grunted his approval and true to his word, he started to ram into her with powerful thrusts of his hips.

"Oh, Jesus," she moaned. "So...good," Scully added, bending her head and bracing her arms under the onslaught. She caught his rhythm after a few thrusts and moved fluidly with him, breathing hard again as he threw himself against her. "Don't hold back," she urged him in a husky whisper.

"Fuck...that's it...that's it," he growled, gripping her hips and yanking her back against his thighs.

Skinner was reduced to grunts then and in a few moments he felt his orgasm pulling his balls up tight. His hips snapped rapidly several more times and then he was coming, biting off the loud roar that if he'd let it out would have surely roused the whole house. He groaned and it ended on a sob as he jerked against Scully's ass, one huge wave of ecstasy exploding through him and making his body convulse. He was fuck blind for several seconds and then he came back to reality and his hips slowed and stopped against Scully's trembling, sweating ass. He pulled out immediately and fell to the side, ending up on his back. She collapsed flat and then rolled onto her side. He was just able to pull her a little closer with one arm as his chest heaved up and down.

"God...are you all right?" he asked immediately, turning his head to look at her.

She chuckled.

"I'm not that fragile. I'm fine," she pushed her damp hair out of her eyes and gave him a grin. "Don't worry," she added, scooting closer and draping an arm and leg over him. She rubbed her leg up and down his and he grinned back at her, still breathing hard.

"Tough bitch," he rumbled.

She laughed and kissed his cheek.

"Don't ever forget it," she replied, teasing him.

"Not fucking likely," he answered, kissing her hair.

"Did I wear you out?" she teased, stroking over his chest as he caught his breath.

"I've got plenty left," he retorted, raising an eyebrow at her as she smirked at him.

"Oh really?" she teased again.

"Really," he growled.

She laughed again and then he flipped her over and they wrestled a little. He did still have some energy left he thought and he took a little pride in that fact. He let her feel all his physical power thean, pinning her easily and she looked up at him, her eyes dancing.

"I love it when you prove a point," she said, her sexy smile making him wish his recovery time was a hell of a lot faster. He chuckled and kissed her gently.

"I love you," he whispered when he drew back.

"I love you too," she replied, gazing into his eyes.

He shifted off her and she cuddled close again as he lay on his back. Both of them could look up through the skylight over the bed and see the stars in the clear night sky.

"It's a beautiful night," Scully sighed, snuggling her head into his chest.

"Perfect for the crops after that hard rain," he replied, rubbing his cheek in her hair.

"Nancy said at dinner that there might be rain on Tuesday or Wednesday," Scully answered.

"Yeah...I heard her say that. We could use it again by then," Skinner replied quietly. Yes, he thought, just in time for Scully's departure. He remembered what he'd said to Kevin about always wanting your loved one with you and felt a pang of sadness. Even though they wouldn't be separated for long...he'd still miss her nonetheless. "I hope it's clear for your flight," he added, his voice a soft rumble.

"I've had bumpy flights before," she replied with a slight chuckle. He felt her laughing breath against his skin.

"I expect you have," he chuckled back.

They were silent again for a few moments and Skinner felt post-coital languor steeling over him. Since Scully wanted to talk and cuddle he struggled to keep his eyes open. His mouth opened and he started to ramble a little in an attempt to stay in the conversation.

"You know, Scully...Kevin and I had a good talk. He's a great kid," he said, suppressing his yawn.

"I thought it was wonderful that he came to you and that you were able to help," she replied, stroking his chest. "I take it you talked about Carolyn?"

"Yes," he answered with a slight chuckle.

"Confidential?" she asked, curiosity in her voice.

"Why, Agent Scully...I didn't know you were such a gossip," he teased, reaching down and giving her ass a pat.

"Ooh, you are living so dangerously," she retorted, letting her hand roam lower to the area that was still rather sensitive from their heated coupling earlier.

"Hey, you break it you bought it," he rumbled, laughing.

She smacked his stomach and he let out an 'oof' of air and laughed harder.

Scully laughed as well and rubbed her cheek on his chest hair.

"I'm just kidding, really. You don't have to tell me," she replied. "I know it was a private conversation," she added kissing his chest a little.

"Well, most of it was...but one part did strike me as...significant," Skinner replied, this time he couldn't hold the yawn back. Scully waited until he was through and then prompted him.

"And that would be?" she asked.

Skinner gathered his thoughts but they felt fuzzy...heavy and he wasn't sure he could express them. But he tried...unfortunately in a moment he realized maybe he should have kept his mouth shut.

"That would be that Kevin said he thought I was smooth with women. That I looked like I knew how to handle myself so well. He said he felt like a klutz around Carolyn and I guess he wished he could have my...technique or whatever. But...sometimes I don't think I'm any better at this than a sixteen year old to be honest," Skinner mused, stroking her arm.

"You mean because you took your own pleasure and I didn't come again? You know I don't care about that kind of thing. Walter...you're an incredibly generous and tender lover...regardless of how you thought you just..." Scully began.

"Not so much that I guess. I understand what you're saying there I mean. No...I'm just trying to tell you that I haven't always found it easy to talk to anyone about my innermost thoughts and desires...especially women. I'm finding it wonderfully refreshing and affirming that I can finally share with you this way," he whispered, his voice a little rough.

"It's been the same for me, Walter. I never found it easy to unveil myself. Oh sure...Mulder and I could talk intimately about some things of course...about a lot of things but...this is much different. This is a true sharing of the heart between two people who love each other. I...I appreciate that more than I can tell you too," Scully replied quietly.

Skinner was silent. He was cursing himself. The words just came out and he knew what they were meant to do. Bring the subject back around to Scully marrying him. And damn it...he'd vowed not to pressure her. He could blame it on being sex stupid he guessed...too out of it after the energetic lovemaking to think straight. But, if he was honest with himself he'd have to say he wanted to make that commitment now and he was almost compelled beyond his better judgment to bring the subject up again. Like he said...sometimes he wondered if he had progressed much beyond adolescence. Before he could speak again to redirect the conversation, Scully spoke.

"I have been thinking about it," she whispered.

"Damn it, Dana...that was just what I thought you'd think. I'm sorry...that wasn't why I said..." he started to sputter and explain. Scully pulled back and propped herself up on his chest. He tilted his head to stare sleepily at her.

"Walter...if you say something now about sex making you stupid...I'll slap you for real," Scully frowned at him.

He shook his head and gave her a self-deprecating half smile.

"I'd deserve it. Pressuring you is the last thing I want to do," he replied, reaching up and caressing her cheek.

"Believe me, Mr. Skinner...I don't feel any pressure over this matter. It just caught me unprepared," she insisted. "Listen...usually when a man proposes that kind of thing he...well you know...takes the woman someplace romantic...gets down on his knees and gives her a ring. He doesn't do it at an Interstate rest stop in front of the Ladies Room," she teased gently.

Skinner blinked and then he grinned at her, showing all his teeth.

"What?" she chuckled.

"I just realized...you're absolutely right. And you know what...it's probably the first time in a long time...Christ...maybe my whole adult life...that I've done a totally spontaneous act. I mean...unplanned...no plan whatsoever. Scully...this is cause for celebration," he replied, laughing.

Rather than be upset again over doing something that seemed so impulsive Skinner was on top of the world over the idea. He was ecstatic because he finally realized that his very atypical actions were something to celebrate and not denigrate. Admitting it at last, giving himself permission to be spontaneous sometimes, to not worry about being so totally in control...to be, in essence human and just like everyone else, made his heart swell with joy. It was one more weight off his mind, one more step towards reclaiming his life and it felt glorious.

Scully laughed as well and darting forward, kissed him quickly on the lips. When she pulled back her eyes were shining.

"Well how's this for a celebration...let's go pick out rings together," she replied.

He stopped laughing almost instantly and searched her face.

"Seriously?" he asked, his voice raw with the hope he didn't even bother to conceal.

"Seriously," she replied, pinning his eyes. "I'm accepting your proposal. I'll marry you, Walter," she added quietly.

He raised a hand and wrapped it around her head, drawing her lips down to his again. They kissed long and tenderly and he poured all his joy at her answer into the kiss. When they were done, she placed her head on his chest again and he felt his heart beating steadily against her face.

"We don't have to rush into it. We'll...it'll take a lot of planning," he whispered.

"What happened to Mr. Spontaneity?" Scully chuckled, stroking his stomach.

"Scully...this is a little different. What about the church wedding idea for one thing?" he asked carefully.

He wished he could take back the words the minute he said them. He hadn't wanted to bring religion up. He knew discussing that subject with her might be touchy. Well screw that he told himself. It was out...and he was determined to be as honest as possible now. After all he had just got done saying he felt it was refreshing that he could talk to Scully for crying out loud. God...he really was ready to crash now after the sex he thought. He was barely thinking straight.

He and Scully had talked about religion before of course. They'd spoken about his disillusionment with the church in one of the few longer private conversations they'd had during the Congressional hearings. Scully understood he was questioning his religion and even his faith in God. She looked down for a moment and cleared her throat.

"Walter...I know you have issues in that area. I guess...well I can respect what you're going through after what you told me before. We...we can discuss it in any way you'd like. I'm just not sure I'm up to it right now," she replied quietly.

Skinner sighed a little. This wasn't the time to delve deeply into his issues, not when he was practically falling asleep and from looking in her eyes Scully was halfway there now as well. But, he did realize a couple of points. He figured he couldn't object to being married in the church if it was going to create tension in Scully and his family for one. And he knew he could still be married in the church since he and Sharon's divorce had technically never been finalized before she died after the accident for another. He decided to at least mention the part about their families.

"Scully, look...I know you've got your own views. Maybe you're not as conservative in them as your family. But I know your mother would probably like a Catholic ceremony. Mine would too for that matter. I guess I can go through with it. I want to do the right thing by you and them," Skinner replied, his brow wrinkling.

Scully nodded and caressed his chest again.

"Walter...we'll see what we can do," she replied gently and for now he was willing to table that area of the discussion. But another point occurred to him almost immediately. The more obvious one and he couldn't help but voice it.

"What about your book tour?" he added. She gave him a mock exasperated look.

"Anything else you want to throw in our way here...Assistant Director Skinner?" she asked, her lips dropping into a wry smile.

He shook his head and chuckled.

"No...I think I've expended my quota of cautionary issues for this evening," he replied.

"Well...I'm sure we can at least manage the ring during the tour," she replied a little archly. "There are a few jewelry stores in the cities I'm signing in, I would say. And I'm not particular...as long as the ring is gold and has scads of diamonds in it," she teased. "We can work out the rest of the details later."

"Scads? Is that a number?" he chuckled.

She kissed his chest.

"Walter...I'm just kidding. It doesn't matter. Whatever, wherever and whenever. Let's just see what happens," she replied, yawning herself now.

"Sounds like a good plan to me," he yawned mightily.

"Good lord, get some sleep. We have a big day tomorrow. Chores. The church fair and that dance. Which reminds me...I am going to take Nancy up on shopping in town before we go to the fair. I didn't bring a dress or suitable shoes for a special occasion. After all, I would like to at least look halfway decent for my escort at the dance since I know he has a suit with him," she replied, snuggling closer.

"You'd look beautiful in a gunny sack," he replied sleepily.

"I'll buy one in my size tomorrow," she retorted, her voice sleepy as well.

"Just make sure it's low cut," he joked, his eyes closing.

"You're incorrigible," she replied and her gentle laughter was the last thing Skinner heard before he fell asleep.

xXx

Saturday, June 22, 2001. Creed Farm, outside Lyons, Pennsylvania.

Skinner sat on the bed in the master bedroom, in his T-shirt and briefs, toying with the stuffed bulldog that Scully had placed on the pillow. He picked it up and held it nose to nose, scowling at the toy and glancing in the mirror over the dresser as he did so. Bullshit he thought. It didn't look a damn thing like him. Then he chuckled and tossed it down on the bed again. Scully came out of the bathroom and laughed at him.

"Still don't see the resemblance?" she teased, putting her earring on.

"Look into my eyes," he told her, adjusting his glasses with his middle finger. She laughed harder and he shook his head in bemusement.

"You're just jealous because 'I' won it at the softball pitch," she replied, coming up to stand in front of him. He lunged forward, grabbed her arm, spun her around and tossed her down on the bed. She made a surprised little cry and then he was kissing her, and she was smiling around his mouth.

"You're going to have lipstick all over your face...and mine," she protested weakly as he sucked at her lips.

"We'll wash it off," he mumbled.

"You're wrinkling my dress," she said, trying to get his mind off her mouth.

"Take it off," he murmured.

"Skinner...they're all expecting us to be ready for this dance," she insisted a little more forcefully. He grinned against her lips.

As if on cue down below them they could faintly hear Nancy exhorting the twins to calm down so she could finish getting ready as well. Skinner gazed into Scully's eyes.

"We are dancing," Skinner replied, giving her a smirk.

"If I'd known my winning at the softball pitch would act as an aphrodisiac..." she replied, raising an eyebrow.

Skinner chuckled and moved off her, rolling over onto his back. Scully sat up and looked down at him.

"You really did have fun today didn't you?" she asked quietly, reaching down and rubbing some lipstick off his mouth. He kissed her fingertips and gazed into her eyes.

There was so much Skinner wanted to say to her. He wanted to tell her that yes, he'd had a fantastic time. That he couldn't remember spending a week as wonderful as this one, much less their day at the fair, in a very long time. How he felt alive and free. How it was impossible for him to tell her how much he appreciated what she had done for him. He wanted to impress upon her the fact that he felt reborn...but he was nearly overcome with the tide of emotion that swept through him and all he could manage was a rather goofy grin and a whispered, "Yeah...I really did."

Scully's eyes played over his face, and they shone with love for him. She bent down and kissed him gently on the lips again. He shut his eyes and sighed in contentment. Then she kissed him on both eyelids and sat up. She looked down shyly and toyed with his hand where it lay near her leg on the bed.

"You'd better get shaved and dressed. We really will be late," she replied softly.

"Yes, ma'am," he rumbled, sitting up and then rising to leave her side.

The day had been truly marvelous. The rooster crowing at dawn had roused Skinner and Scully before the manmade alarm clock ever went off. The day brought clear skies that they could view through the skylight as they lay together for a few moments, just enjoying waking up in each other's arms. When they heard the twins' noisy laughter downstairs they got out of bed and showered together to save time. Dressing quickly they hastened down to breakfast, it being Skinner's turn to cook...at least in his mind. The rowdy, rollicking breakfast of omelets and the usual accouterments was followed by everyone performing their Saturday morning farm chores. Scully ended up helping Skinner and Kevin tend to the cattle and Nancy helped Harlan Jr. and Amanda collect eggs and muck out the coop. They ended up spreading some of the wood chips from the downed limb on the floor and then brought fresh water and food to the chickens.

The day stayed clear but a little cooler in temperature so Skinner knew that he wouldn't mind wearing his suit in the evening and he was thinking about that dance for sure. There had been some discussion on trying to maintain their relative anonymity again at both the fair and dance. Skinner as well as Scully weren't particularly enamored of the idea that they'd both be recognized and become the center of attention. It wasn't so much themselves they were worried about. After all if things got too crazy they'd just leave. It was just that neither one of them wanted to make the events any less enjoyable for Nancy, Kevin or the twins.

Finally it was decided that they would dress down again in jeans, T-shirts and sneakers, wear their caps and sunglasses, and just hope for the best at the fair. They'd do the best they could at the dance as well. As it turned out, the fair was so boisterous and busy, with families coming from around Lyons as well as the city proper, that no one paid close enough attention to notice the celebrities in their midst. Skinner was sick of hiding anyway as he'd discussed with Scully. She still felt the same. They'd deal with the recognition factor as best they could. Scully finally shrugged and made a public acknowledgment that, well, she'd been living with the publicity and attention long enough so she guessed she'd better try to get used to it. Skinner seconded that idea in regards to himself. So, they set their minds to having a good time and just going with the flow.

That decided, the actual operation was formulated for going into town. Skinner knew Scully was planning on buying a dress and some low heels for the dance of course. Nancy was going to show her the small stores in Lyons where she liked to shop for clothes and shoes. Skinner was supposed to go on ahead to the fair with Kevin and the twins so Scully's ensemble would be a surprise when they went back home and changed for the evening.

They'd finished the farm chores around 11AM and then everyone had gotten quickly cleaned up to go into town for the St. Pat's church fair and shopping.

Before they left, Nancy lined the twins up and presented them with ten dollars a piece in spending money.

"Now...what do I usually say when it comes to money I give you?" she asked.

"Don't buy too much candy," Harlan replied.

"When it's gone, it's gone, so spend it wisely," Amanda added, her face serious.

"Correct. Now...have fun, be careful and mind your Uncle Walter," Nancy had replied, kissing them both on the head.

Skinner had herded his charges together and they'd gone on ahead to the fair. He knew Kevin was planning on meeting Carolyn there so he smiled and handed the kid the keys to the Barracuda. Kevin had been ecstatic. Skinner was going to miss the teen. He wondered if Kevin would stay in touch via e-mail. He'd like to know how the kid was doing. He thought he'd bring the idea up before he left. Skinner, Harlan Jr. and Amanda piled into the Ford pickup and Nancy and Scully had taken the SUV.

The St. Pat's fair was held in the huge field that bordered the church and the hall where the dance would be held. The church was pretty much the last structure in town and it was bordered by the beginning of the rolling farmland that was found in the area. So, there were rides, games, a petting zoo, crafts exhibits, and all manner of food and drink.

The twins, dragging Skinner in tow, were in seventh heaven over the rides. Skinner made a half-panicked plea to a laughing Kevin and Carolyn for assistance when Harlan and Amanda pulled him onto the 'Tilt A' Whirl'. He hadn't been on a fair ride in years and he wasn't sure how his gut would react. He could just see himself heaving up all over the kids and himself. But luckily the ride was a whole lot of fun and he and the twins had ended up going on a lot more of them while Kevin and Carolyn disappeared into the crowd saying they'd meet them later by the games.

Scully and Nancy showed up right about the time Skinner was trying to cope with a huge cone of cotton candy. Harlan and Amanda were instructing him on the intricacies of eating the sticky confection and both Scully and Nancy teased him because he had a glob of the candy on his nose. After a detour to the men's room for him to wash, Nancy had commandeered the twins and taken them to the petting zoo in a generous gesture to give Skinner and Scully some time alone. Skinner had taken Scully's arm and they toured the craft booths.

He tried to quiz Scully on the dress. All he'd gotten was an enigmatic smile. They spent a great few hours, talking and browsing...and then they ended up in the game area in front of the softball pitch. Skinner had bet Scully that she couldn't beat him and she proceeded to roundly do so, winning the stuffed dog which she insisted looked just like him when she threw the winning pitch. Kevin and Carolyn watched her win it and Kevin asked Carolyn if she wanted to win something for him. She tried but couldn't quite manage to pull it off. Kevin gallantly stepped forward and won for her. Skinner gave them all a mock scowl, feigning deep embarrassment for not being able to win his best girl anything. As they turned to leave Scully whispered suggestively in his ear that she was more than sure he could make it up to her later. He grinned and they walked behind Kevin and Carolyn as Kevin grandly carried the Teddy Bear that Carolyn chose as her prize through the fair towards their cars.

 

They'd gone home, done the evening chores, had a light dinner and then Nancy had verified that she could drop the twins at the neighbors on the way back into the dance at the church hall. The Sumners weren't attending the dance this year and they volunteered to watch Harlan and Amanda on a sleepover with their children. So, once the plans were settled everyone began to get ready for the big night.

The moment Skinner had seen Scully in the dress was still very fresh in his mind as he stood at the vanity mirror running his electric razor over his face. When it came down to it the dress was actually just a simple, stylish garment. The bottom from the waist down was full of pleats and it was made out of some kind of gauzy material. The color was a subdued green, something a little understated but it complimented Scully's skin, hair and eyes marvelously. But God...with her in it...she was mesmerizing.

When Skinner had come out of the bathroom after showering she had already slipped into the dress and stood awaiting his opinion. He'd been speechless at first. Then he'd given her a small bow and managed to whisper, "I'm honored." He smiled even now as he thought how absolutely beautiful she looked in the dress and the curtsy she'd given him in reply. He inspected his chin to make sure he'd given himself a clean shave. He really wanted to look good for her too.

Exiting the bathroom Skinner headed over to the closet door where he'd hung up his charcoal gray Armani suit, white shirt and coordinated tie. He took his shirt off the hanger and started to dress. In short order he was adjusting his tie in front of the full length mirror. Scully finished reapplying her make-up and was brushing her hair one last time as he finished, smoothing the tie down his shirt front. He fiddled with his glasses a little, seating them properly on his nose. He saw Scully come up behind him in the mirror and felt her take him around the waist.

"Hmm?" he asked as she hugged him.

"You know I always liked you in a suit. The first time I ever saw you at the Hoover I thought you were one of the best dressed men I'd ever seen," she murmured against him.

He chuckled.

"Sometimes I would choose suits and think...I wonder what Scully would say about this one? It was a fantasy of mine I guess," he rumbled, turning in her arms. He embraced her and looked down into her eyes. "I kept this one for that reason," he mumbled, caressing her hair. After a second he added. "I'd kiss you but I don't want to smear your lipstick again." He grinned down at her and she smiled at him.

"Later," she replied, smoothing the front of his shirt down.

He nodded and let her go.

On their way out of the bedroom Scully paused at the dresser. Her gun, ID and purse were lying there. She hesitated over them.

"It's odd for me not to be carrying a gun," Skinner told her as her brow furrowed.

"I have a permit but..." he let his voice trail off with a shrug. Scully picked up her purse, placed the gun and ID into it and shut it with a sigh.

"I'm going to make a concession towards regulations...but I'm going to lock my purse in your car once we get there. I just don't think...well the gun just doesn't go with this dress," Scully observed with a self-deprecating shake of her head. She shouldered the purse and Skinner placed his hand in hers.

"I don't blame you...and I certainly can't call you on the regulations," he replied quietly. "Let's go...I can hardly wait to squire you around the dance floor."

Scully smiled at him.

"You're going to be very busy...someone has to escort Nancy as well you know."

"Oh I know that, yes," he replied with a grin. "I'm very flattered to be able to escort two beautiful women. I'll be envied by every man there," he added, chuckling.

"Oh my...you have such a silver tongue," Scully teased, her words heavy with double entendre.

Skinner barked a laugh as they left the bedroom and headed downstairs.

At the bottom of the staircase, Nancy was hustling the twins off to the bathroom one last time before they went out to the cars. She was dressed in an attractive salmon colored dress that blended perfectly with her tan skin and dark hair.

"Oh...Harlan...Mom's bathroom is available," she told her son as Amanda ran ahead of him into the downstairs bathroom. She nearly collided with Kevin who was coming out, adjusting his tie.

Skinner sidestepped Harlan as he dashed up the stairway.

"'cuse me, Uncle Walter," he said as he pounded up the stairs.

Skinner chuckled and Nancy shrugged her shoulders and rolled her eyes at him and Scully. Then she looked at Scully in her dress.

"Oh...that does look fabulous...see, I told you it would be all right," she commented, smiling at Scully and giving Skinner a significant look.

"Hey...no complaints here," he replied, taking Scully around the waist and giving her a hug.

"You look wonderful too," Scully told Nancy. Then she extricated herself from Skinner.

"Excuse us...women's conference," she told Skinner and Kevin as he came up to the group.

"Wow, Agent Scully," he exclaimed. "You and Aunt Nancy look great!"

"Thank you, Kevin," Scully replied, smiling. Nancy gave Kevin a buss towards his cheek but he laughed and ducked.

"Hey...no lipstick," he joked, falling in next to Skinner.

Skinner chuckled as the women waved over their shoulder and headed off to the guest bedroom.

"What's going on?" Kevin asked quizzically.

"Last minute touch-up," Skinner replied. He assumed that was what was going on. Sometimes women's preparations for getting ready to go out were a total mystery to him...even when he watched them go through them.

Kevin was jittery, fingering his tie repeatedly.

"Here," Skinner told him after a moment, taking his shoulder. He turned the teen to face him and undid his tie.

"Thank you," he breathed a sigh of relief. "I just couldn't get the knot right tonight for some reason," he added with a weak smile.

"Yeah and her name's Carolyn," Skinner quipped. "Look...take a deep breath," Skinner said, pulling the Windsor knot he tied up around Kevin's throat. Kevin strained to look down.

"Hey...how did you do that?" he asked, biting on his lower lip.

Skinner chuckled.

"I'll show you later. That's a Windsor knot. I'll tell you a secret...women notice a detail like a Windsor knot in your tie...so do other men. It's one of those idiotic testosterone pissing contest one-upmanship techniques that you probably should learn...it might come in handy someday," he replied, chuckling. Kevin laughed as Skinner stepped back. "You look great, son," he coughed, straightening his shoulders. "You have nothing to be embarrassed about." The black suit and black on black print tie really did make the teen look well groomed.

"Thanks, Walter," Kevin replied, ducking his head.

Amanda and Harlan Jr. came back from their respective bathrooms. Amanda was followed closely by Nancy and Scully as they came back up the hall. Scully was carrying a sweater over her arm and Nancy had one as well along with her purse. So, Nancy had loaned Scully something to drape over her shoulders, Skinner thought. Not a bad idea since the evening was a cooler one. The sweater's color went very well with the dress, he thought as she came up to stand next to him again.

"How do I look?" Kevin asked, holding the lapels of his black jacket and showing off a little.

Nancy scrutinized his appearance for a moment and then whistled.

"Pretty spiffy. The Windsor knot really sets off that tie," she replied, giving Skinner a glance.

Skinner nodded and Kevin gave him a thumbs up. Scully took it all in and then took Skinner's arms.

Amanda sniffed at Kevin.

"You smell good too," she pronounced amiably.

Harlan whispered to her with a very important tone in his voice.

"It's aftershave. Kevin shaves now."

"I know that," she replied with a huff.

Scully chuckled and leaned into Skinner.

"You look pretty spiffy too, Mr. Skinner...and 'you' smell good as well," she said sotto voce. Skinner rumbled a laugh.

"Why thank you, Ms. Scully," he replied, the pleasure clear in his voice.

Kevin gave him another thumbs up.

"Come on now, kids, get your hooded sweatshirts and bags. We're ready to go here I think," Nancy urged them. The twins scampered off and Kevin started to head for the front door.

"Kevin...take the pickup," Nancy suggested, tossing him a set of keys that she drew out of her purse. "I'll drive the kids in the SUV."

"Thanks, Nancy," Kevin nodded, scooping the keys out of the air. Then his brow creased and he touched his back pocket.

"Forgot my wallet," he commented as he walked back past them to his room.

"Your limousine awaits, Agent Scully," Skinner gestured towards the door.

"Oh yes...the 'make-out mobile'," she deadpanned. Nancy burst out laughing and Skinner actually felt his ears turning a bit red as Scully laughed as well.

"Yeah but it's a classic 'make-out mobile'," he retorted trying to save face.

Nancy and Scully laughed even harder at his discomfort as the entire group finally assembled in the hallway and exited the house.

xXx

The parking lot of St. Pat's was full but not as packed as Skinner would have thought it would be after the crowd that had been at the fair earlier.

"I wonder what's up?" he asked quietly as he pulled the Plymouth into a parking space a couple of cars down from where Nancy was parking the SUV. Kevin had pulled in a few rows ahead of them.

"What do you mean?" Scully asked turning towards him from the passenger seat.

Skinner put the car in park, cut the ignition and turned to her.

"I just thought there would be more of a crowd," he replied, frowning a little.

She looked away from him and out through the windshield. Skinner looked in the same direction and could see Kevin exiting the pickup. Scully sighed and answered.

"Look...if it's going to bother you we can go back. I won't mind...really," she replied.

Skinner gave an impatient shake of his head.

"No," he replied gruffly. "I'm sorry. I need to get over this attitude. It's just that I remember the damn fishbowl atmosphere of the hearings...the whole Godforsaken media circus...the...utter shit it made of our lives. Scully...I know it wasn't any better for you..."

"It wasn't easy...but it wasn't anywhere near what you went through," she interjected quietly. Skinner shrugged.

"Well at any rate, I guess it's just a case of me being once bitten twice shy," he replied setting his shoulders. "I have to stop acting like I want to stick my head in the sand," he added, his voice resolute.

"If it's any consolation...I think I'm the one who's acting hypocritical here," Scully replied quietly. "I mean, the minute I wrote that book and submitted it to the publisher I knew what was going to happen. It's not like I didn't realize I would be bringing the media and public scrutiny back down on me again. I knew my private life wouldn't be completely private any longer," she added matter-of-factly.

Skinner nodded.

"Yeah. This is a dead subject though isn't it? I'm sorry for bringing it up again. I guess both of us just need to stop obsessing about it and start living with it...start living again, period," Skinner replied, his voice a little rough with feeling.

"Exactly," Scully replied, touching his hand where it gripped the steering wheel. He was gripping it tight enough to make his knuckles white and he hadn't even realized it. He gave her a self-deprecating shake of his head and removed his hands, taking her hand gently in his.

"So...the first dance is on me?" he asked in a gruff whisper.

"Definitely," she whispered back. He bent and kissed her tenderly on the lips.

After their lips parted, Scully locked her purse, gun and ID in the glove compartment. She decided to leave the sweater there as well. She could always come back out for it if she got cold. When they exited the car, Kevin and Nancy, also sans purse and sweater, were standing and talking a discreet distance away. Country and Western music could be heard coming from inside the hall and couples as well as groups of people were making their way towards the hall door. The night was cool, clear and the country air was fragrant. Skinner inhaled its sweetness and then smiled at Kevin as he took Nancy's arm in imitation of Skinner's hold on Scully.

"May I have the honor of escorting you inside, Aunt Nancy?" he asked with a smile.

"Why thank you, Kevin," she exclaimed, truly touched and flattered.

Kevin nodded and Skinner and Scully fell in behind them as they walked towards the hall doors.

"Small crowd," Skinner remarked as they entered the more brightly lit circle of light that came out of the doors.

"Yes...well the dance isn't as heavily attended as it used to be because I think a lot of people are tired after the fair. Also, there's another dance at the country club over in Morrisville this evening and the club opens it to non-members now. So, I think that draws away our community crowd a little. Is it a problem? I'm sorry...I didn't think about..." Nancy replied.

"No...no problem," Skinner hastened to reply. "I was just observing there were fewer people than I expected to see."

"Yes, Nancy...we're fine with it," Scully added as well.

Nancy smiled back at them and they all walked on. As Skinner held Scully's arm he still had a cold feeling at the back of his neck. Something wasn't quite right here he thought. He felt like he used to feel at the Bureau before a big bust was about to go down.

When they walked into the hall some of his feeling of unease was possibly explained by the fact that as one by one people started to spot Scully and Skinner, there was a lot of whispering. Nancy and Kevin frowned a little and just as they were thinking of making their way to the refreshment table in order to get somewhat away from the stares, Father McCormick noticed what was going on and came bustling up.

"Welcome, welcome," he said, extending his hand to Skinner. "It's wonderful to see you, Nancy and Kevin, and I'm so glad you came along, Mr. Skinner," he enthused, shaking his hand firmly. Skinner gave him a small smile as he looked over his head at the people milling around the couples on the dance floor. Almost everyone who wasn't dancing was looking in their direction. They were mostly looking at Scully but some of them were clearly noticing he'd shaved off his beard and was wearing glasses now...and they were recognizing where they'd seen the man who had been attending their church for several weeks. He jerked his head back to the elderly priest as he dropped Skinner's hand. He refocused on what the priest was saying.

"...attractive young lady," Father McCormick was finishing.

"I'm sorry, Father," Skinner replied, running a hand over the back of his neck.

Father McCormick's face crinkled up a little in a look of sympathy and he motioned for everyone to follow him behind the pole that would successfully obstruct their view of the dance floor. At that point they were less visible to the crowd as well.

The priest patted Skinner's shoulder and then removed his hand. He gave him an understanding look.

"Son, I knew who you were before we even had our talks together. Skinner isn't a very common name and even with the beard and contacts I recognized you. I didn't draw attention to you and maybe that was a bit of a mistake now under the circumstances. I probably should have said something to the congregation at least. I apologize for it. It seems many in the congregation, and the community at large weren't as observant as I was and that's a shame. They're just now recognizing you...and recognizing Ms. Scully too of course," he explained gently.

Skinner shook his head.

"Yes, please excuse my rudeness. Father McCormick, this is Agent Dana Scully of the FBI...my..." Skinner began, hesitating. He was going to say partner but that word had totally the wrong connotation in Scully's case. He reached for the word 'friend' but before he could answer Scully spoke up.

"Fiancee," Scully replied matter-of-factly, extending her hand to the priest.

There was an audible gasp from Nancy and a noise that sounded like Kevin suppressing the words 'Holy shit!'

"Oh my Lord..." Nancy exclaimed, reaching impulsively for Skinner's hand because he was closer to her. She took it and pulled him into a quick hug, then released him and hugged Scully. "That's wonderful. I'm so happy for you both!" she added, her eyes becoming a little misty. Kevin stood by speechless.

"Well...I guess the cat's out of the bag," Skinner replied chuckling, temporarily flustered. God...when Scully wanted to be blunt she was certainly capable of being so he thought with an inner smile. What the hell. He wasn't embarrassed by any means. In fact he was thrilled and very proud that she'd thought to say it. He cleared his throat. "But yes...uh...Dana has done me the honor of accepting my marriage proposal," he told the priest formally.

"God bless you both," the priest replied, taking both their hands in his. "May you have many years of happiness together," he added. "And it's a great pleasure to meet you, Dana," he finished smiling at Scully.

"Thank you very much, Father," Scully replied. "It's nice to meet you as well."

"Thank you, Father," Skinner also replied. "And, sir...we came here realizing there was a high possibility we'd both be recognized and it might prove awkward. If you would prefer, Dana and I could leave..." he began.

"Nonsense. I'll have none of that talk. What I was going to say before 'the cat was let out of the bag' as you so aptly put it was that these are good people. Give them a few minutes to adjust and I think they'll be fine. Get out on the dance floor, blend in and everything should be right as rain after these first few minutes of adjustment," Father McCormick advised with a smile.

"All right, Father. We'll give that a try," Skinner replied.

Scully nodded and Father McCormick took her hand and shook it in his again.

"Good, good. Now, have fun. The band plays country western and a little swing music too. Enjoy!" he exclaimed as he left their sides.

"And when were you going to tell us, Walter Skinner!" Nancy frowned, her hands on her hips. Skinner held up his hands in surrender and Nancy laughed.

"I'm just kidding...it's great news," she added smiling wide.

"Congratulations, Walter," Kevin said, finally finding his voice and extending his hand.

"Thanks, Kevin," Skinner replied seriously, pumping the teen's hand with the gravity he would have afforded any male friend who had said the same thing. Kevin pulled his shoulders a little straighter at the attention and when they stopped shaking he spoke again. "Well...I saw Carolyn..." he added, gesturing with his head towards the refreshment table. Carolyn was standing there with two other young women.

"Go ahead, honey," Nancy replied, smiling. "You two have a good time. Just remember we're going to leave at around midnight, so rendezvous at the door."

"Yes, ma'am," Kevin replied. "See you guys later," he informed Skinner and Scully.

"Have fun, Kevin," Scully replied and Skinner nodded as the young man left their sides.

"So...I guess we mingle," Nancy suggested, giving a grin. Nancy and Skinner moved beyond the pole a little as Scully was distracted by someone laughing in back of her. Skinner answered Nancy.

"I guess..." Skinner began to say he'd dance with Nancy first if she'd like when suddenly a smiling woman came rushing up. It was Peg Underwood.

"Nancy! Walter! I didn't know you were here. Of course I've been back in the kitchen handling the refreshments. I'm so glad you could make it. The music is fabulous," she told them jovially. Skinner winced a little and reached for Scully's hand where he'd had it a moment ago.

"Peg...I'm so sorry I didn't call you back after we had lunch. But I've just been so busy..." Nancy began. "And I'm sorry I didn't have time to help with the refreshments."

"Oh, no problem with any of it. And good Lord...I more than understand about the refreshments. I've been busy too what with everything that's been going on with uh...Ray coming home. I haven't had a chance to get back to you either. I can call you next week at some point," Peg replied brightly.


"That would be fine except on Thursday. I'm going up to see Harlan then," Nancy replied. Skinner noticed Nancy didn't say anything about talking to Harlan further about Ray Underwood. It was probably a good thing she didn't draw attention to that issue again.

"All right then, hon...I will call you," Peg replied, sincerely. Then she turned her attention to Skinner. Peg Underwood lowered her voice and spoke to him as he tried to keep one eye on her and grope behind the pole for Scully's hand. The blonde moved in very close causing Nancy to raise her eyebrows and frown a little as Skinner stood his ground.

"I just wanted to let you know I knew who you were but it didn't make any difference...it doesn't make any difference now either. I read the accounts of what happened and I think you were treated unjustly," she told Skinner in a sympathetic voice. Her hand was on his arm as he extricated Scully from the crowd that was suddenly milling towards the refreshments. He pulled her against him and smiled broadly at Peg.

"Oh..." she said, blinking at Scully closely. "OH!" she exclaimed. "You're....you're..." she stuttered.

"I'm Dana Scully," Scully replied, looking from Skinner to Nancy and back at Peg a trifle confused.

"The author...the woman FBI agent who..." Peg Underwood began to smile. "I have your book! My Lord...it's a pleasure to meet you, Doctor...or is it Agent...oh it's an honor," she gushed extending her hand. "And where's my mind...I'm Peg Underwood. Oh...maybe you'd autograph my book? God...this is incredible," she babbled. Scully took her hand and shook it and then it dawned on the other woman that Skinner had Scully held tight against him in a one-armed embrace.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Peg," Scully replied, smiling as pleasantly as she could.

"You're together?" Peg asked, the light finally coming on. She dropped Scully's hand.

"We're engaged to be married," Skinner replied, beaming.

Peg blinked again.

"Oh, uh...I see. Well...um...that's wonderful," she replied with quite a bit less enthusiasm. "I wish you both all the happiness in the world." she added. Then she squared her shoulders and tried to shake off her obvious disappointment. She gave them a brave smile. "After all you've both been through you're more than entitled to a little peace and joy if you ask me. So...I wish you both the best," she finished sincerely.

"Thank you, Peg," Skinner replied feeling a little guilty that he'd just sprung the news on the poor woman. But under the circumstances he'd felt like his back was against the wall and she was circling in for the capture. He figured he'd better say something before she really embarrassed herself.

"I appreciate you saying that," Scully replied smiling at the other woman.

"My pleasure. Now...you two have some fun. Nancy...would you like to see the cake I made? It's in the kitchen. I know you wanted the recipe and I have it here," Peg said to her friend.

"I think that would be marvelous," Nancy answered giving Peg a sympathetic look. "If you'll both excuse me?" she asked Skinner and Scully.

Skinner nodded his head and Nancy gestured for Peg to proceed her towards the kitchen. He glanced back over her shoulder and gave them an understanding look which told them she didn't begrudge Walter blurting out the information.

Skinner turned to Scully.

"Did I ever tell you I thought you were excellent in thinking on your feet when you worked for me?" he chuckled.

"Not in so many words," she replied, raising her eyebrows but giving him a hint of a smile.

"Well...consider this a retroactive compliment, Agent Scully. Damn fine bit of quick thinking with Father McCormick," he replied, taking her arm.

"I'd have to say the same for you, sir," she replied dropping into her 'reporting agent voice'.

"Shall we dance or mingle?" Skinner asked gesturing towards the crowd.

"Dance," Scully replied with a grin.

Skinner smiled wide, nodded and escorted her towards the dance floor.

They didn't quite make it over there immediately. Each time they passed a group of people standing or sitting at a table someone would stop and want to congratulate Scully for her work and her book. She was gracious to them all, stopping to talk and listen to their brief stories and heartfelt thanks. Skinner made noises in greeting but for the most part remained silent. He got the impression that the people here acknowledged him but in most cases were embarrassed to address him due to his past. They weren't rude to him and to be honest, Scully's role in the invasion had vastly overshadowed even his supposed perfidy in it. So, he was content to just bask in the good feeling that was pouring out at her and smiled with fondness and love as she greeted the members of the community.

Finally however as they neared the dance floor an old man, as tall as Skinner but thin and gnarled grabbed Skinner's hand as they started to pass his table. There was a group of older men sitting there and as Skinner looked down to see who was impeding his progress he thought instantly...vets...and started to feel a tight feeling in his stomach. Shit he thought, here it comes and he set his face in a neutral mask as the old man rose from his seat to confront him. Scully stopped and stood close to his side and not for the first time he drew on her considerable strength of presence to bolster his fortitude.

"Walter Skinner?" the man asked.

"Yes, sir. I'm Walter Skinner," he answered forthrightly. "And this is Agent Dana Scully," he added, not wanting to just leave Scully standing out of the picture.

The man shook his hand and smiled warmly at him and then at Scully. Skinner felt himself relax as he looked into the older man's soft blue eyes.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both. My name's Garrett Blake. I'm the librarian here in Lyons. Vet too...these are some of my buddies from the VFW post here," he gestured around the table. The other men nodded, and Skinner nodded respectfully back.

"I just wanted to say I'm a bit of a history buff. Done some studying regarding the invasion and Walter S. Skinner's part in things specifically. Son...you were unjustly tried by the press and anyone who says otherwise doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, pardon my French, Ms. Scully," he said in one long statement.

Skinner felt Scully suppressing her chuckle next to him and he smiled at Garrett Blake and pumped his hand a little further before he released it.

"Mr. Blake, thank you. I haven't heard it expressed that colorfully, but I sincerely appreciate the sentiment," Skinner rumbled.

"Good man," Blake replied, slapping Skinner on the back. "There are some of us out here who know what was going on. You can't blame a man for doing the best he can...trying to do his duty the best way he can under adverse or nearly impossible conditions," he added, stepping back. "That's all I wanted to say. I'll let you go then. But if you're going to be out at Creed's for a while yet, come on into town some evening and stop in at the VFW post. We play poker on Wednesday nights. We'd be glad to share a hand of cards and a beer with a fellow vet," he finished extending his hand again. Skinner took it and shook it hard, smiling wide at the other man.

"I'd like that very much, thank you. I'll...I'll try to make it," he replied, his voice a little thick. He cleared his throat and nodded again at the other men. "It was a pleasure to meet you all," he added. The men smiled and made noises of agreement, saying it was a pleasure to meet him and Scully, and then Skinner took his leave, Scully on his arm. He reached up and adjusted his glasses feeling the sting of tears in his eyes.

"Would you like a minute?" Scully asked kindly, squeezing his arm.

"No...no, I'm fine," he coughed, smiling down at her. "Let's dance," he added, gently caressing her arm.

The band was just starting to play a slow country number and Scully moved smoothly into his arms as they reached the dance floor and he squired her out onto it.

Skinner embraced Scully and they began a simple box step to compensate for the crowd that joined them. It seemed attendance was picking up and everyone in the building had the same romantic intentions tonight and the floor filled with couples swaying to the music. Scully placed her head on Skinner's chest and it felt fantastic as he held her close and splayed one large hand over her back.

Skinner glanced off over the crowd so as not to bump into anyone and he spotted Kevin and Carolyn moving to the music as well. He also saw Carolyn's father and a woman who must have been her mother seated at a nearby table. Both were watching the young couple and Skinner got the idea they weren't unhappy at all that Kevin was dancing with their daughter. Skinner chuckled and brought his hand up to caress Scully's hair as the song played on.

"Hmm?" she asked, tilting he head up to look into his face.

"Kevin's over there dancing with Carolyn," he whispered to her, grinning.

She turned and he chuckled again because he knew she was going to be too short to see them. She got the point and gave him a light slap on the chest.

"All right...I know I'm vertically challenged, yuk it up," she replied, chuckling herself.

"I didn't say a thing," he replied raising an eyebrow.

When she looked into his face again her love for him was evident in her eyes and she reached up and touched his lips with a fingertip.

"I love you," she whispered.

"Oh God, Scully," he whispered, pulling her to him. For a moment there was no one else in the world except Skinner and Scully as he felt her heart beating in time with his to the music. And then he saw...Ray Underwood standing in front of him on the dance floor.

Scully felt him tense up and looked into his face again.

"What's..." she started to ask what was wrong.

"I knew who you were," Ray growled, and Scully turned around to stand in front of Skinner.

"Ray, come on," the woman who was dancing with him was pulling on his arm. "I want some punch, Ray," she added, her voice a warning as much as a plea.

Skinner looked Underwood directly in the eyes and saw the depth of his anger. A controlled rage flashing there. Trouble, Skinner thought. Best to keep a cool head here. He set his face in a completely neutral expression and spoke, his voice calm and conciliatory.

"We don't want any trouble, Mr. Underwood," Skinner told the angry younger man.

"Yes...please," Scully added quietly, taking Skinner's hand.

Ray glanced down at their entwined hands, frowned and looked into Scully's face.

"I figured you'd have more taste," he spat.

Skinner felt his fists ball up, trapping Scully's hand for a moment. Ray Underwood looked at him then.

"If you don't want any trouble...stay the fuck out of my way...traitor," he hissed and then he hauled the woman who was with him off the dance floor and disappeared into the crowd.

Scully sagged against Skinner and Skinner let out a harsh exhalation.

"Walter...my hand," Scully hissed at him.

"Shit...I'm sorry," he grated out, angered at himself for hurting her.

"It's ok...I was probably squeezing yours as hard, you just didn't feel it," she replied. Skinner turned his hand over and her nail prints were deeply etched in his palm. He looked at her and gave her a nod.

"We'll make a good team in the gym," he grunted, taking her hand. He pulled her back into his embrace and they continued their dance.

"Time to leave?" she asked speculatively as he scanned the dance floor over her head. Underwood was nowhere to be seen, not even near the refreshments where Skinner thought he would have taken his date. Good. If he wanted Skinner to stay out of his way making himself scarce as well was a good step towards that goal.

"Not unless you want to go," he replied, looking back down at Scully.

"Hell no," she replied setting her jaw stubbornly.

"That's the way," he replied, smiling at her. "I don't think he's going to cause a public scene here anyway. He could have done it just now if he'd had the inclination. If we stay around people and just leave later at midnight as planned we should be fine," he added.

"That was my opinion too," Scully replied, laying her head on his chest. "As long as it's not going to ruin your evening, Walter. I want to enjoy the dance with you but not if you're going to be..." Scully began.

"No...it's not going to ruin my evening," he replied resolutely. "I'm here to enjoy being with you too," he added, caressing her hair.

They held each other close and the music played on for a few more moments. When the song ended, Scully stepped back and Skinner smiled down at her again.

"Thank you for the dance, Agent Scully," he said, warmth in his voice.

"You're most welcome, Mr. Skinner," she replied, smiling gently at him.

"Hey, you know...I think I'd like a piece of that cake Peg mentioned. If we get a table maybe we can wrangle one," Skinner suggested as he scanned for the path of least resistance through the crowd leaving the dance floor.

"Two pieces. And you find a table. I'll go get the cake. If I run into Ray I don't think it'll be as much of a problem," Scully volunteered.

"Good plan. All right, shall we?" he asked, lifting her hand up in his.

"Lead on, kind sir," she replied, smiling.

They ended up joining Carolyn Barker's father and mother and when Kevin and Carolyn came off the dance floor they all sat down together. They were soon joined by Nancy as well and she went back to bring cake for all of them instead of Scully.

"Double chocolate cherry cake...and yes I did get the recipe," she proclaimed setting down the tray with the plates on it into the center of the table. The plates and forks were passed around and everyone dug in. The cake was delicious.

While they ate, John Barker brought up the fact that he'd seen Ray Underwood out on the dance floor and Nancy told them all that Peg wanted to apologize for her brother. She'd seen him on the dance floor talking to Skinner and Scully as well and had a word with him afterwards. It was pretty much common knowledge that Ray Underwood had a problem. Skinner and Scully assured them that they thought if they stayed out of his way things would be fine.

The talk moved onto farm matters, crops and animals, the everyday life in the country. The Barkers had dairy cattle and Skinner and Scully both were interested to hear about the 4 H project cow their son was raising. Carolyn had raised one last year and was branching out into goats this year. The conversation was amiable and absorbing and Skinner felt himself relaxing as time went on. Scully relaxed too and even related some amusing anecdotes from her book tour. Eventually, after several iced teas and a coffee, Skinner had to excuse himself to use the men's room and he left everyone laughing, to make his way across the building to the rest rooms in the lobby.

Skinner walked into the men's room and to his surprise found the urinals vacant at the moment. He could tell, however that there was a guy in one of the stalls because he could see his feet. He took the urinal farthest from that stall, stepped up close, unzipped his zipper and fished out his penis. As he was waiting for his urine to flow he heard the toilet flush. A moment later someone was standing casually at the urinal right next to him. Skinner sighed. He had good peripheral vision.

"That Plymouth out in the parking lot belong to you, Skinner?" Ray Underwood asked nonchalantly as Skinner stood there with his dick in his hand waiting to piss.

Skinner swiveled his head and looked calmly at the other man.

"Would you mind if I finished here...then I'll be happy to talk about my car," he replied, his voice flatly neutral.

"Sure," Underwood replied with a shrug.

He gave Skinner a cheesy smile but it didn't reach his cold, angry eyes at all. He shifted away out of Skinner's line of sight and the older man was finally able to take a leak, sighing as his bladder emptied. When he was done, he shook off, rearranged himself in his pants and zipped up. Skinner went over to the sink to wash his hands and Ray Underwood was waiting there, leaning up against one of the sinks, his arms across his chest.

"Yes, that's my Plymouth Barracuda," Skinner finally replied, washing his hands and reaching for a paper towel out of the dispenser on the wall. As he proceeded to dry his hands, Underwood replied.

"Classic car," he commented curtly.

"Yes, I restored it," Skinner replied, tossing the paper towel in the trash. He refocused on the other man, pinning his eyes. "Why do you care?" he added letting a second's anger form his words before he should have spoken.

"Oh, I don't really care. I was just curious. I wondered where you got the money to restore a valuable collector car like that Plymouth. I figured you got it when you sold out the rest of us to the fucking Consortium bastards and their alien overlords. Am I right, Mr. Skinner? Did you sell us out for some of life's luxuries like that damn Barracuda of yours out in the parking lot?" Underwood spat, his eyes narrow with barely reigned in fury.

Skinner held Ray's eyes and his jaw clenched tight. He counted to ten before he answered and kept his voice steady.

"Mr. Underwood...you know nothing about it," he replied quietly.

"I know you're a damn traitor. I know you said you weren't but I saw you on TV. You lied like a rug and you sold us all to the whoremasters and their alien cohorts who were going to take over the world and use us for human incubators for their Godforsaken spawn and..." Ray Underwood started to vent, spittle flying from his mouth.

Skinner took a step forward and Underwood stopped talking immediately and tensed, expecting Skinner to take a swing at him. Instead Skinner pressed his fingers up under his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. Then he removed his hand and spoke softly.

"Ray...I know I can't convince you otherwise. I'm not going to try. Believe whatever you want. Good night," he replied moving away.

Ray Underwood's hand shot out and grabbed Skinner's arm. Skinner looked down at Ray's hand and then up into his eyes. Skinner could tell the guy was having serious second thoughts about grabbing him once he felt the muscles that were concealed under the coat sleeve. Deep down Skinner could see the cowardice in his eyes. Underwood was angry...but he was also not going to start a fight he was afraid he couldn't win. Skinner continued to stare him down and the only sound for a moment was their harsh breathing and then a voice startled them both.

"Hey!" Kevin Creed said, his voice sounding alarmed.

"Kevin..." Skinner started to warn the teen to stay back when Ray Underwood

dropped his arm and moved away.

"You his friend?" he asked the boy. His voice was mild as he straightened his shoulders and seemed to try to control himself better.

"Yeah. Is there something wrong here?" Kevin replied, standing defiant, his fists clenched slightly at his sides.

Ray Underwood took one look at the lanky kid and chuckled.

"Nah, Kev. Nothing's wrong. We were just talking about Mr. Skinner's Plymouth," he shook his head almost in amusement.

Kevin looked at him skeptically and glanced at Skinner. Skinner made a motion for the kid to stand down.

"Ok," he told Underwood and stepped back.

"Give my regards to your aunt," he told Kevin, a smirk on his face. "And Mr. Skinner...give my regards to Agent Scully," he added, looking at Skinner.

Skinner nodded and Underwood sauntered off and out the door.

"Holy shit, Walter," Kevin blustered striding to Skinner's side. "Was he going to take a shot at you?"

"I don't think so," Skinner replied, his jaw tight. "I think he just had something to get off his chest and now maybe he did. Hopefully, we can avoid any further trouble by avoiding him," he added, giving Kevin a curt nod.

Kevin sagged against the wall.

"Man...he's a big sucker," he breathed out in relief.

"Mr. Underwood is a very troubled man," Skinner commented, pulling down the sleeve of his suit jacket where Underwood had yanked it askew

"If he took a swing could you have taken him?" Kevin asked, his voice showing his curiosity.

Skinner looked at him then and remembered Vietnam and being taught to kill a man with his bare hands and what that had felt like the first time he had to do it. Kevin studied his face and Skinner saw his eyes slide away.

"Yeah...I guess you could," he mumbled.

Skinner sighed.

"Unfortunately, yes. But listen...it's not going to come to that," Skinner assured the teen giving him a slight grin.

Kevin nodded.

"Yeah, maybe his bark is worse than his bite," he surmised.

"Exactly," Skinner replied.

Kevin cleared his throat then.

"Well...uh...excuse me," he replied, gesturing with his head towards the urinals.

Skinner gave another curt nod.

"I'll wait for you outside," he advised the teen as Kevin walked across the room. Skinner passed him as he headed towards the door of the men's room.

Outside Skinner felt his jaw jump. This was an annoying damn development. He flexed his neck and felt it crack a little. Then he sighed and glanced at his watch. Well it wasn't long until midnight. He needed to go back to the table and tell Scully what happened but he really didn't think that Ray Underwood would escalate during what was left of the evening and cause an even bigger scene. They could make an exit pretty much on schedule anyway and avoid any problems. He decided he'd just mention he thought Ray had gotten what he wanted to say pretty much out of his system and let it go at that.

When Kevin came back out, Skinner joined him and they headed back to the table through the crowd. The music was playing again after a brief band break. They were starting some swing music as they approached the group that had remained seated. Skinner noticed that Carolyn and her parents were gone. Only Nancy and Scully were still at the table. As soon as they reached the table Scully took one look at Skinner's face and her brow creased.

"What happened?" she asked, her voice concerned.

"Nothing I couldn't handle. Ray Underwood spoke his piece in the men's room. I think he got it out of his system," Skinner answered tersely.

"Oh, Walter...I'm so sorry," Nancy replied softly.

"It's all right, Nancy. It's not like I haven't had this happen before. It's unpleasant but usually over after the other person airs their views. If we avoid Ray Underwood for the rest of the evening I think it'll blow over," Skinner replied.

Kevin sat down and took a long swig of the iced tea he'd left there. Scully observed his long swallow and looked back up at Skinner.

"Are you sure?" Scully asked quietly, watching Skinner's face.

"Yes, I think it'll be fine. I'm having a good time. If you still are let's...let's stick around and leave per our plan," Skinner replied, his voice sincere.

"Well the Barkers are dancing and Carolyn went to the ladies room. I'm sure they'll stay here to run interference as well," Nancy suggested, as Skinner sat back down next to Scully.

"I'd still like to stay," Scully told Skinner, the look of concern still on her face.

Skinner took her hand.

"Then we'll stay," he replied, giving her a gentle smile. He squeezed her hand and then turned towards Nancy. "You know...I owe you a dance," he told the other woman, giving her a grin.

"Why yes, you do. Can you dance to swing music?" she replied, laughing.

"Probably not very well but if you'll bear with me I'll give it a try," he replied, chuckling.

"Well, I happen to be rather good at it. So, let me lead for a bit and you'll be a pro in no time," Nancy replied, rising from her chair.

"All right. Lead on, Mrs. Creed," Skinner replied, getting up to join her.

Kevin smiled at Scully.

"Would you like to dance?" he asked shyly.

"Oh...well that would be very nice....but wouldn't you like to wait for Carolyn?" Scully asked, a smile playing about her lips. Just as she said it Carolyn reappeared at the table and looked around.

"Did I miss something?" she asked quizzically.

"Oh....um...I was going to dance with Agent Scully," Kevin bumbled out as he stood up.

"Oh...that's not a problem at all. I was going to get another soda. Would you like me to bring you another iced tea?" she asked Kevin. The teen visibly relaxed and smiled at her.

"Yeah, thanks," he smiled. She smiled back and turned to leave the table again. Kevin turned and extended his hand to Scully.

"I'd be honored," she said and Kevin looked like he was floating on air as they walked out onto the dance floor with Skinner and Nancy Creed.

The song lasted long enough to make Skinner realize that swing dancing was probably really good aerobic exercise. He managed not to disgrace himself however and under Nancy's instruction was able to lead after a short time. He found the big band era music refreshing and Nancy really seemed to enjoy getting into it.

Skinner even managed to take brief glances at Scully and Kevin and was surprised to see Kevin was a passable dancer. Scully looked marvelous with her pleated dress swirling around her and Skinner felt a warmth flood through him as he contemplated her. He tamped that rush of heat down fast as Nancy pressed up against him for a moment. It wouldn't do for him to get aroused while he was dancing with her. It would be damned embarrassing if he did. Finally the song ended and they all made their way back to the table. By that time Carolyn and her parents were also back and everyone sat down to drink more sodas and iced teas while they talked again.

Kevin danced with Carolyn after a while and when they came back to the table he asked her father's permission to take her for a walk. Permission was granted and the young couple left the table hand in hand and smiling at each other. As soon as they were out of earshot Nancy spoke to the Barkers.

"I want to thank you both for being so nice to Kevin. He really is a fine young man. I know he likes Carolyn and it means a lot to him that you trust him to be a gentleman around her," Nancy said, her voice grateful.

"I think he's a very sweet boy," Wendy Barker replied, smiling. "I think his parents would be proud of him," she added.

"He seems like a very polite kid. I don't have anything against him seeing our daughter. I don't expect it'll last the summer but I think it's fine they're seeing each other," John Barker replied, clearing his throat.

Skinner held his tongue. He wanted to ask the guy if it did last beyond the summer if that would be some kind of problem. But he didn't think it was his place to offer his opinion on the matter. He glanced at Scully and from the expression on her face he could tell the same thing was going through her mind.

Luckily for them both, Carolyn's mother had no issues or problems about speaking up.

"Now, John...what are you going to do if it does continue beyond the summer? What if Kevin would like to stay in touch with Carolyn? You can't tell me you're going to object if he does?" she asked gently, taking her husband's hand.

The other three adults remained quiet and the silence was awkward for a moment. Then John Barker chuckled and squeezed his wife's hands.

"If that kid has the balls to keep in touch with her after he goes back to California, more power to him. Yeah, I like the kid. I won't deny it. She could do a hell of a lot worse, even if it's a long distance relationship," he replied with good-natured gruffness.

Everyone relaxed and the conversation, as it was bound to do eventually given the circumstances, moved into a generalized discussion of the invasion and Scully's part in it. Skinner watched her give a brief and very simplified version of events, holding the group pretty much spellbound with her narrative. It never ceased to amaze Skinner how capable Scully was of helping people to understand a difficult subject. She was erudite and also generous in her praise of others, especially Mulder. She danced over Skinner's involvement, mostly giving the side that she knew to be the truth rather than the media version but leaving gaps which she thought Skinner might like to fill in on his own.

And much to his surprise Skinner found himself actually filling in some of the gaps in her conversation. He found her gentle retelling of events drawing him out and making it possible for him to discuss the matter without feeling ill at ease or incredibly angry and bitter. The Barker's and to some extent Nancy listened with a bit of uneasiness at first, but then growing interest and finally understanding and Skinner felt another immense weight lifting off his shoulders as he spoke. At the end of the discussion, John Barker shook his hand and said he'd never realized all the implications of everything that had happened and he was sorry to have made any assumptions or had preconceptions about Skinner after hearing a lot of the true story.

After the emotionally taxing talk, Skinner excused himself again to use the men's room. As he was leaving after taking another piss, and splashing some water on his face he decided to step outside for a moment to get a quick breath of fresh air as well. The night had turned out to be clear and cool and it felt good to stand under the light outside and let the clean air play over his skin and in and out of his lungs. He looked around the parking lot and thought to himself that the dance crowd was thinning out. A lot of the cars were gone. As he looked across the expanse of blacktop towards the street he saw three people standing near his Plymouth. His jaw clenched instantly. Ray Underwood, Kevin and Carolyn were standing there and it looked as though Underwood and Kevin were having words.

"Shit," Skinner cursed under his breath.

He walked quickly down the steps and strode over as fast as he could without looking like he was the cavalry coming to the rescue. As he neared them he heard Underwood's low, angry voice hissing at Kevin. Carolyn stood apart, tense and alert. Skinner thought she looked about ready to run back inside to get help.

"I'm telling you, you're mistaken. I was just admiring it. Why don't you take your little girlfriend back inside and join your friends and family," he stated, his voice showing his intense attempt at control. "It's none of your business. Besides...if you ask me a kid like you should be keeping better company. Skinner's no kind of man to be an example to a smart guy like you," he added, trying to be polite but coming off as obsequious as Skinner came up behind Kevin.

"Whether Walter is my friend or not is none of your business," Kevin began to refute him when Skinner put his hand on the boy's shoulder and spoke.

"Is there a problem here?" he asked. The words as he uttered them sent a chill up his spine. He remembered all too well the last time he used that phrase and the results his words had brought. He steeled himself for any eventuality and gently moved Kevin aside to confront Ray Underwood.

"This doesn't concern you," Underwood replied quietly, trying to look back at Kevin. Kevin stepped to the side and Skinner whispered to him.

"Why don't you and Carolyn go back inside," he suggested. He never let his eyes leave Ray Underwood.

"Yes, sir," Kevin replied in a soft voice. He started to move away and Skinner spoke again to Ray Underwood. Underwood was forced to look at him now and he did, his eyes hooded with anger.

"This is my car, that makes it my business," Skinner replied, his voice cool as he stared into Underwood's eyes.

"He was going to 'key' your car," Kevin interjected from a few feet away. Skinner still didn't look at him but he assumed he and Carolyn were standing together because his voice came from that general direction.

Skinner glanced down at Underwood's hands and saw the car key clenched in his fingers. He looked back up into his face.

"Kevin...would you go inside please and get Agent Scully and your Aunt Nancy?" he asked carefully.

Underwood ground his teeth together, his anger taking over now and Skinner began to realize that this discussion might come to blows. He sighed inwardly. He didn't want it to come to a fight but if it did he was certainly prepared to make it a short, one-sided one...his side. But he would make every attempt not to have things escalate to that point.

"Don't bother. I'm not going to 'key' your lousy car. I thought about it...yeah...but fuck it...you're not worth it, you lousy sack of shit," Underwood spat out, stuffing the key back in his pocket.

Skinner watched his hand carefully. It came back out of his pocket empty. Skinner's eyes snapped back up to Underwood's and he gave him a curt nod.

"All right, fine. Now...you said something about my staying away from you? I'd suggest we both work at bringing about your wish..." Skinner began to tell him to leave or he would leave, his choice, when Underwood spoke again with venom.

"No...hang on. I still have something I want to say to you," he choked out, the color rising in his face.

Skinner went on alert and placed his weight on the balls of his feet in preparation for any quick movements he had to make. Underwood squinted at him and continued spouting invective. Skinner hoped Kevin and Carolyn had gone inside for help because he did truly think trouble was on the way now.

"Mr. Underwood...I..." he tried to stave the younger man off but it was pointless.

"I want you to hear this...shut up and listen up. You don't know...you have no idea what you did, you bastard. You got people killed because you sold us out. I was at the battle of Nogales. You heard of that? That was one of the only actual one on one battles in the war. Us against them. Well...fuck it...we didn't have a God damned chance. The weapons...God. I was...my whole squad...gone, horrible...up in flames. And I was in charge, you prick. I was supposed to see that we took this position at all costs...oh and it cost us all right...you better believe it cost us. Every single guy except me...except me," he babbled, spittle on his lips.

Skinner felt his guts twist. Christ. The words were all too familiar. He felt a stab of pain go deep into his guts but it wasn't only over Ray Underwood's experience. It was over his own memories of his squad in Nam and how he'd always thought if he'd just fought harder...or maybe he should have just died with them...his mind spun on that point for a moment but then he refocused on Ray Underwood. He looked deep into his eyes and he saw it. The true source of Underwood's guilt. Ray Underwood had run. Left his men to their fate and deserted under fire. Skinner knew it in his bones from the look in his eyes. He knew that look because he'd seen it before on the battlefield when other guys had run. Then and afterwards when they couldn't live with the guilt. As the other man kept talking, his voice rising, Skinner felt his chest fill with a weary sadness over what war could do to a young man.

"They all died but me and if you'd been more of a man they might still be alive. I might not have to hear their screams every fucking night of my life! Can you understand that you son of a bitch?" he yelled, taking a step towards Skinner.

Skinner held his gaze, his eyes didn't falter.

"Yeah...I think I can understand it a hell of a lot more than you could ever know," he whispered. There was no point in confronting this man. No point in making him realize he was blaming Skinner for something he himself had done. Skinner shook his head in dismissal...and then Underwood lunged for him.

The younger man was reckless in his anger and Skinner was able to catch him head on, grabbing him hard. They wrestled for a few seconds. Skinner's T-shirt and dress shirt was ripped up out of his pants, and the buttons on his shirt torn open as they struggled for the upper hand. Skinner got it and slammed Ray back against the hood of the Plymouth. He used his own raw adrenaline fueled strength to pin Underwood to the car and then he bent low over him and hissed into his ear.

"Now you listen to me...Ray. I know it probably won't mean anything to you...but look down," he urged him. Underwood let his eyes drift to Skinner's exposed stomach and the scars that were just visible and that disappeared down past his beltline.

"You see those scars...the ones that show just above my belt?" he asked. Underwood tried to buck up under him and he slapped him back down where he was holding him by the T-shirt. "Do you see the scars?" he hissed through clenched teeth.

"Yeah," Underwood answered, his jaw tight.

"Those are from Vietnam. I was shot and left for dead over there, Mr. Underwood. Maybe you didn't know that about me. I was the only survivor of my whole squad too. They started to zip me up in a body bag and the only reason I'm here today is due to God's grace and an observant corpsman who thought he saw me breathing. So don't tell me I don't know what it feels like, because I do. And I've lost a hell of a lot more over the years than you can ever imagine. I've tried to atone for my mistakes. But I'm not guilty of what you're accusing me of and I'm not going to stand here and listen to you accuse me any longer. So...are we through now...or do you want to debate the issue further?" he replied in one long, low intense speech.

Underwood's eyes roamed over his face for a few moments and Skinner felt his body relax slightly under him.

"We're through," the younger man grated out. Skinner studied him for another second, nodded and let him go, pulling back.

"All right, fine," he said, looking away from him. And that was a mistake. Skinner knew it instantly too and cursed himself inwardly for letting his guard down. Things happened quickly then. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Underwood's hand go into the same pocket he had returned his car keys to earlier and bring out the knife. There was a tiny snick and Skinner thought 'switchblade' just before Underwood lunged with it. Skinner started to throw himself to the side and there was a sudden commotion and flurry of movement.

"Walter! Look out!" Kevin Creed yelled loudly.

As if in slow motion, the teen dove for Underwood's arm. Skinner had a fleeting glimpse of Scully, Nancy, the Barker's and Carolyn running across the short expanse of the parking lot before Kevin was knocked into him and there was a brief intense struggle. Skinner twisted around, pulling desperately at Kevin to try to get him out of the way. He threw his body between the teen and Ray Underwood and he felt a sharp pain in his left hand. He kept trying to pull Kevin out of the way in the blur of motion. Kevin made a strangled sound in his throat and then he and Skinner were knocked hard against the car opposite the Plymouth. Skinner cradled Kevin in his arms, even then trying to place himself between the boy and the knife but knowing instinctively it was too late. In a second they were alone, Ray Underwood was gone, and then Scully reached their side along with the others.

"Walter!" Scully exclaimed and then "Oh my God," she gasped.

"Help me lower him down," he told her, his hands shaking as he looked up into Scully's face. He could see Dr. Dana Scully asserting herself immediately and it calmed him as he struggled to support Kevin.

"Oh, Dear God," Nancy said as she ran up. John Barker started to go off after Ray and his wife grabbed him. "Oh no you don't," she yelled at him.

"Call 911," Scully hissed into the angry father's face. Carolyn stood by in shock as Skinner, his left hand dripping blood, lowered Kevin Creed down onto the ground. The teen was holding his stomach, and his legs were shaking convulsively as blood welled up, darkening his shirt. Skinner stood up and clutched at his own hand as the blood flowed and pain lanced through it.

"Oh Jesus wept," John Barker pronounced, grabbing his jacket pocket for his cell phone.

"Carolyn, give me your sweater," Scully told the young woman. She instantly complied, bending down to try to help. Her hands were shaking so badly however that Scully touched her arm and said, "That's ok, help your dad signal for the paramedics when they get here."

Carolyn nodded, stood up and backed away, tears starting to dribble down her cheeks.

"Here, let me help," Nancy said immediately.

"I can too, I have some first aid training," Wendy Barker added, moving in close to Skinner. She tore the bottom of Skinner's shirt, taking the ripped piece and applying pressure to the back of his hand. "Sit down, Mr. Skinner, you're losing a lot of blood here," she advised him her voice somewhat shaky. "Please...sit down before you fall down," she added.

Skinner barely heard her as he watched Scully and Kevin.

"He's going into shock. Press here...hard," Scully was instructing Nancy as they crouched over the boy's pale, still body. Skinner felt tears clogging the back of his throat.

"Mr. Skinner," Wendy Barker prompted him.

Skinner looked at her, numb, but did as she requested as Scully and Nancy worked on Kevin and Barker spoke quickly into the cell phone, summoning the EMTs and police. Skinner propped his back against the Plymouth's tire. He felt weak and nauseous and also filled with guilt over what had happened with Underwood. If only he'd been more observant. If he'd realized the guy really was that close to the edge. If he'd just left the party after the bathroom incident. Christ... he was slipping he thought. A hundred other castigating words flew through his mind as a crowd started to gather from the church dance.

Just before the ambulance and squad cars pulled up, Father McCormick was standing over Kevin in prayer and Skinner felt the tears come then, he couldn't hold them back as they trickled silently down his face. Wendy turned her head in embarrassment to give him privacy and then the paramedics were there, telling her they'd take over. The back of his left hand was a mess, and Skinner found himself helped up and loaded onto the same ambulance as Kevin for the trip to the small hospital in nearby Morrisville.

xXx

Sunday, June 23, 2001. Community General Hospital. Morrisville, Pennsylvania.

Skinner sat in the waiting room with Scully and Nancy Creed, his arm in a sling. It was 3 AM. All of them were still in the same clothing they'd worn to the hospital, albeit Skinner was sans suit coat and shirt. Remarkably the only one with any bloodstains on them was Skinner. His charcoal Armani slacks were a write-off. Scully and Nancy had only had blood on their hands for the most part and were able to wash it off earlier. What few stains Scully had on her dress were down near the hem and blended in with the pleats. But they all looked rough nonetheless. Skinner's beard stubble was stark under the hospital lights and they all had the thousand yard stare that soldiers in battle got after a bad firefight Skinner thought as he ran his hand over his chin. The Barkers had taken Carolyn and gone home about forty-five minutes earlier. Nancy had just gotten off her cell phone after talking with the twins. She thought that despite the hour it was best to let them know what had happened so they didn't hear the information second-hand. When she returned to the waiting room that left Skinner and the two women to keep a vigil.

As it turned out, Skinner had more than one wound. It was discovered in the ambulance that he also had a slash to his left side which required ten stitches in the ER. Skinner's hand had been cut more than once as it turned out. But luckily there was no muscle damage. He hadn't required surgery but it had taken 35 stitches to close the cuts to the back of his hand. The police had taken all their statements, getting Skinner's while he was in the emergency room being sewn up. Ray Underwood had turned himself in shortly after fleeing at his sister Peg's insistence. So, the statements were pretty much a formality. He confessed and it was the general feeling he was going to the veteran's hospital psych ward in Harrisburg. Skinner might have to attend a trial but he could always return later to testify if there was a need.

Kevin had been prepped for surgery and it had been slightly over three hours since he was wheeled into the operating room. Nancy had called his parents and they were flying out and should arrive shortly. Skinner rocked his head back against the wall. They'd given him some painkillers to take but he refused them. He wanted to stay alert. He wasn't numb any longer and he didn't want to feel numb again. No...he wanted to feel the pain...and he felt it all right...inside and out. He felt terrible guilt and it was all he could do not to make a fist and smash his good hand into the wall.

Scully glanced over and noticed his small grimace and interpreting it as one of pain from his hand spoke gently to him.

"Why don't you take..." she started to say.

"No," he hissed at her, shaking his head.

She raised an eyebrow but his glare warned her to hold her counsel for the moment. She closed her eyes briefly, sighed, and stood up.

"I'll see if I can find out anything..." she began to say when a man in surgical scrubs came into the waiting room.

"Doctor Malcolm," Nancy said, getting instantly to her feet. Skinner rose as well.

Doctor Malcolm smiled and motioned for them to sit back down. Everyone did and then he sat down next to them all. Scully took Skinner's free hand in hers.

"First of all, Kevin's prognosis is excellent," Malcolm said immediately.

"Thank God," Nancy breathed out, sagging in her chair. Scully squeezed Skinner's hand and released it, smiling.

"Nancy, thanks to you, Doctor Scully and Mr. Skinner in large part this young man survived until he got to my operating room," he replied.

Scully nodded but before she could speak Skinner did.

"Me? How?" he asked gruffly.

"Well...if you hadn't deflected the blow with your hand and taken that cut to the side, Kevin's wounds would have been much worse to be honest. As it was, the knife perforated his intestines," Malcolm replied matter-of-factly.

Skinner lapsed into brooding silence as Scully interjected a comment.

"I thought that might be the case," Scully replied. "Due to the location," she added.

Malcolm nodded.

"Well we have him on an antibiotic drip to guard against infection along with the saline and painkillers. But he's young and strong...he should do fine. I understand his parents aren't in the state?" he replied. "I see you were listed as having medical power of attorney?" he added addressing Nancy.

"Yes, that's correct. But I've contacted them and they're flying in," she replied, her voice full of relief and fatigue.

"Very good. I'll list all three of you as family for the time being however so you can be allowed to see him," the doctor advised making a notation on the chart he was carrying.

"Can we see him now?" Nancy asked quietly.


The doctor looked up and smiled.

"I don't see why not. He's in his room, it's number 242, right down the hall to the left. He's still unconscious but he should wake up soon. If you want to be there with him when he does, that's fine," he told Nancy.

She nodded and stood up extending her hand to the doctor. Skinner and Scully stood as well. The doctor rose, stuck Kevin's chart under his arm and took Nancy's hand, shaking it.

"Thank you so much, Doctor," Nancy told him.

"My pleasure," he replied, releasing her hand after a moment. "I'll be checking back in on him later during my rounds. If you have any questions ask the duty nurse and she can pass them on to me and I'll answer them. And all of you...get some rest...all right?" he replied, shaking Scully's hand next. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Doctor Scully...even under the circumstances," he smiled at her.

"Thank you. A pleasure, yes," Scully murmured shaking his hand as well.

"Mr. Skinner," the doctor said more businesslike, turning and extending his hand. Skinner took the doctor's hand and shook it. "You did a good deed tonight, sir," he reiterated, dropping Skinner's large hand.

Skinner sagged into himself as the doctor left their side and exited the waiting room.

"I'm going to the room then, you're welcome to come along," Nancy replied.

Scully glanced at Skinner and then back at Nancy.

"I thought I'd call the Barkers for you. I have my cell phone. I'm sure they'd want to know Kevin's out of the woods," Scully volunteered quietly.

"Oh...would you?" Nancy asked gratefully. "They're in the book. They live on Solon Road," she added.

Scully nodded and Nancy smiled at the smaller woman.

"I might be able to contact Kevin's parents through the airline as well," Scully offered quietly.

Nancy took her hand and squeezed it.

"Thank you so much," she replied, smiling wearily and then she stepped away.

"Walter, are you coming?" Nancy asked Skinner.

Skinner shifted his gaze to her as if in a dream.

"Oh...uh...yes. I'll be along directly," he replied quietly. Nancy looked at him, a questioning expression in her eyes but then she nodded and left them to go down to see Kevin. As soon as she was out of earshot Scully turned and addressed Skinner.

"I will not have you taking blame for this," she whispered, her voice intense. "I can't stand to see you do that to yourself. I had to live with Mulder's ever present crushing guilt for too long, Walter. I won't go through that again and let you hurt yourself that way again either...not anymore," she added, reaching for his uninjured arm. When she touched him he shook her off, anger welling up in him so fast it felt like his brain was practically boiling in blood.

"Then don't go through it," he husked out, turning on his heel before she could respond. He was out of the waiting room door before he heard Scully utter "Damn it, Walter!" in shock.

Somehow he found himself in front of the door to the hospital chapel. He pushed the door open and finding the room empty, stepped in and let the door swing shut behind him. His hand was throbbing and so was his head now as he walked up to the altar, genuflected, crossed himself and sat down heavily in one of the small pews near the front of the room. He bowed his head ostensibly to pray for guidance but instead found his mind going suddenly blank.

If Skinner had stopped to rationalize his actions he would have known he was having a Post Traumatic Stress incident. But he was pretty much beyond thinking in that moment. He fell back on the numbness again. The non-feeling that had become all too familiar in Nam and then later during his days as a field agent and AD. The protective deadening of emotions that took you away for a while when either pot when he was a 'grunt' in Nam, or booze when he was a slave for J. Edgar Hoover wouldn't work to banish the pain, fear and guilt any longer.

He didn't know how long he'd been sitting there, his lips moving on words that weren't really a prayer but were more like a curse at his own failings when suddenly the closing of the chapel door made him jerk out of his moribund state. Someone approached and he looked up into the face of Father McCormick.

"Father?" he asked somewhat bewildered. What was the elderly priest doing here at this time of...morning he thought as the older man approached his seat.

"May I join you?" he asked pleasantly.

"Yes...certainly," Skinner replied, shifting over. The priest genuflected, crossed himself and slid in next to Skinner.

They sat in silence for a few moments, Father McCormick's head bent in silent prayer. When he looked up again he spoke directly to Skinner, looking into his face intently.

"I followed the ambulance here in case you're wondering what an old codger like me is doing out at this hour of the morning," he told Skinner giving him a tired smile.

Skinner nodded, his lips twitching into a smile as well.

"I wondered," he commented.

"Yes, I spent some time praying for Kevin outside the operating room and then I went in to see one of my other parishioners. Betty Jackson. Heart failure. She passed away this evening, so I guess it was lucky I stopped in. I was able to deliver the last rights. I just left her family," he added, watching Skinner's face.

"Oh...I'm very sorry to hear that," Skinner replied quietly, staring into the priest's kind blue eyes.

"Thank you, my son. Betty was a hundred and one years old. She'd lived a good, long life. She'd only been in the hospital about a week. I'd say in the scheme of things she went peacefully," the priest replied. Skinner nodded and looked away.

"Peace is a relative thing, you know, Mr. Skinner," the priest mused turning to face the altar for a moment. "Some people like Betty achieve it early in their lives. She always seemed to walk in grace, I think. She just had an attitude towards life right up to the end that helped her to cope with all kinds of setbacks. Oh...I don't mean she wasn't a fighter. She was tough. But, she had an inner tranquility that I found quite amazing," he added looking back at Skinner.

Skinner's head swiveled over to stare into the priest's eyes.

"Meaning?" he asked carefully.

"Meaning that others of us have to struggle to attain that same level of peace, Mr. Skinner. For others like myself...or even you...it's not as easy. It tasks us during our life. But...I think in time we can achieve it. I feel as though I'm close to getting there...what do you think, Mr. Skinner? Do you think you can get there too?" he asked kindly.

Skinner gave him a wry look.

"Father...somehow I never imagined I'd be making 'Willard Scott's Hundred Year Old Smucker's Spot' on The Today Show...even if they still ran it," he replied.

Father McCormick shook his head patiently and gave him a small smile.

"I wasn't referring to Betty's age, Mr. Skinner. I was referring to the fact that despite a very difficult early life in which she suffered great poverty and heartache she was able to survive intact. Her faith helped of course..." the priest began to answer.

"Father, my...relationship with God hasn't been on the best of terms for a while," Skinner replied giving a self-deprecating shake of his head.

"I understand that, son," the priest answered.

"Then I think we can rule out divine intervention here," Skinner replied acerbically.

The priest ran his hand through his white hair and refocused on Skinner after a second's thought.

"Whether you've abandoned Him, Mr. Skinner, is immaterial really. God hasn't abandoned you. Let me tell you something, sir. He wouldn't let that boy die tonight. He gave you the bravery...the basic decency and guts it took to place yourself between that knife blade and Kevin Creed's death. And also...that's the mark of a good man in God's eyes, Mr. Skinner. Not a coward...not a man who should shoulder the guilt out of some mistaken need to keep atoning for imagined sins or unjust sins placed on him by someone else. Whether you believe that decency and integrity comes from God or inside you is a moot point in my opinion. It was there when it needed to be and that's what's important. But, I don't think God would want you to take guilt for Kevin's injury. He would want you to be thankful...to accept the thanks of others for saving him. He would want you to be at peace, Mr. Skinner...whether you accepted him into your heart to bring you that peace or not," the priest concluded, his voice soft but intense.

Skinner stared at him, unable to answer for a moment. Then he spoke the obvious question that was on his mind.

"Did...did Dana send you here?" he whispered.

"No. I came here to offer a last prayer for Betty Jackson and Kevin Creed. I didn't need Agent Scully to tell me you needed help, son. All I had to do was look in your eyes," he replied warmly, touching Skinner's uninjured hand where it clenched the back of the pew in front of them. Skinner looked down at the hand that touched his, the age spots across the back of the pale skin a contrast to his tanned, muscular hand and the image suddenly blurred.

"Go ahead, son. We're the only ones here," Father McCormick whispered. Skinner felt the first wracking sob come out of his chest before he even really consciously realized he was going to cry. He leaned forward, his forehead falling onto his good arm and the priest moved his hand onto his back, just resting it there as Skinner sobbed, his tears falling to the chapel floor.

xXx

"Walter?" Scully's voice reached his ears. Skinner looked up. He was lying on the pew, his injured hand in its sling placed carefully on his chest. He blinked and looked around. For a moment he was confused but then he could remember Father McCormick, and crying and the elderly priest helping him to lie down. He'd been so tired....now he felt better...much better as he looked up into Scully's tired face.

"What...what time is it?" he asked, struggling to sit up.

"Five o'clock. Watch the arm," she replied, concerned. She slid in next to him and helped him to lever up. When she touched him then he remembered yelling at her earlier. He grabbed at her convulsively, taking her around with his good arm and pulling her against his chest.

"I'm so sorry....so sorry," he whispered, nuzzling her hair.

"I was so angry," Scully murmured.

"We both were. I was...stupid," he replied.

"We both were that too," she replied with a sigh, caressing his back to comfort him as she pressed against his chest.

"I talked to Father McCormick," he replied quietly, pushing her back then and looking into her eyes.

"So did I," she replied, nodding. Skinner searched her face and then bending forward kissed her gently on the lips. She answered in kind, her lips playing over his with tenderness. When he broke the kiss he spoke again. "I'll guard against shouldering the guilt," he told her earnestly.

"I won't accuse you of shouldering it when you aren't. I'll try to be more understanding too if you 'slip' and do," she replied. Skinner nodded and smoothed her hair back.

"We'll...we'll manage, Scully. I know we can," Skinner answered, caressing her hair.

She nodded, took his hand and kissed the palm, then she brightened.

"Walter...Kevin is asking for you," Scully replied with a smile.

"Yeah?" Skinner asked, clearing his throat and smiling.

"Yes. He's regained consciousness but then fell into a natural sleep. He just woke up a little while ago. He's somewhat sedated but he did particularly want to see you. I was able to contact his parents through the airline. They know he's out of danger and they're driving here now from the airport in Harrisburg. Nancy went home to shower and change and then she'll be coming back here. The twins are staying with the neighbors for now."

"We should probably get back there ourselves then. Nancy needs help with the farm," Skinner replied, straightening with new purpose.

"There's time yet. Nancy said that Don Sumner was going to stop over and feed and water the cattle," Scully replied, sliding out of the pew and standing up.

"All right. That's fine then. Let's go see Kevin," he replied, smiling again.

Scully nodded and took his hand.

As they walked out she chuckled softly.

"What?" he asked quietly, glancing down at her as they walked down toward Kevin's room.

"I just have to tell you what Father McCormick said about your car," she replied trying to suppress a smirk.

"Oh oh," Skinner chuckled.

"No...he didn't say anything about its uh...amorous accouterments. He said first of all not to worry about it, it's safe in the hall parking lot until we can drive back to Lyons to get it. He also said...he hasn't seen one in years and he'd really appreciate it if you'd allow him to take a spin in it sometime," Scully replied, finally laughing. She did it as quietly as possible however in deference to the patients.

Skinner had to hold back his explosive laughter. He stopped walking for a moment in order to get a hold of himself, coughing a little. Then he smiled and took Scully's hand again.

"I think that can be arranged, no problem," he whispered as they reached Kevin's door.

Scully extricated her hand from his and he raised an eyebrow.

"You go on in...I saw him already," she suggested softly. Skinner nodded and left her side to push through the door.

Kevin Creed was lying in his hospital bed, the usual number of tubes sticking in him and monitors connected up to measure his vitals. He appeared to be asleep. Skinner watched him for a moment, debating whether he should bother him. After a moment he decided he should if Kevin was asking for him. Then he glanced down at his bloodied pants. He was faintly disgusted at his appearance but more importantly, he was a bit worried about Kevin seeing him this way and getting upset. He shrugged. What the hell, he couldn't hide his hand. Kevin probably wasn't going to care either way at this point since he was under sedation. There was already a chair pulled up at the side of the bed so Skinner quietly walked over and sat down in it.

He hesitated for only a moment before he reached over and gently placed his hand over Kevin's.

The teen's eyes fluttered open and his lips worked but no sound would come out.

Go to Part 5
Back to story page