TITLE: Going Up The Country - Part 5

"Don't try to talk," Skinner told him, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

Kevin's brow furrowed and he ignored Skinner's suggestion and whispered anyway.

"Screwed up. Sorry," he managed to croak out.

"Funny you should say that...I was saying the same thing about myself earlier," Skinner answered, giving him a wry smile.

Kevin's eyes crinkled a little at what he dimly perceived must have been a joke but then he shook his head.

"Sucker...too big," he husked out.

"Kevin...forget it. You...I understand why you did what you did. Son...that took guts...whether anyone thinks it was advisable to rush him or not. But next time...let me 'take the bullet', ok...'Guitar Man'?" Skinner replied, his voice thick with emotion.

Kevin smiled weakly and spoke again.

"Next time," he replied softly.

Skinner chuckled and let go of the kid's hand.

"Get some rest. I'll be back to see you later," Skinner informed him, rising from the chair.

"Wal...ter?" Kevin asked.

Skinner turned and looked back down at the boy.

"Thanks for saving my life," he replied a little more strongly.

Skinner patted his arm and smiled down at him.

"Thanks for making me want to save mine, Kevin. And thanks for being my friend. Now...get well. We're going to need you on the back forty," Skinner replied quietly.

Kevin nodded, smiling and then his eyes dropped shut and he was asleep again.

Skinner felt a lightness in his heart as he adjusted his sling and sauntered out the door. Scully was leaning against the wall on the opposite side of the hall, her arms crossed over her chest. She looked dead on her feet and he felt his love for her spread through him as he walked over to her.

"Do we have transportation?" he asked, drawing up to her side.

She straightened and nodded.

"Yes, I drove the Ford pickup here," she replied suppressing a yawn.

"Good. Come on, Agent Scully. I think it's time we had an 'SSS'," he replied with a smirk.

"An 'SSS'?" she queried, tilting her head up at him as she snaked her hand around his waist.

"Yes. Shower...."

"Oh...that 'SSS'...never mind. I get your drift," she answered laughing. "Yes, a shower would be wonderful," she added.

He laughed, rubbing at his chin as they walked towards the hospital entrance.

"Yeah, and I could definitely use a shave," he replied.

"Not growing the beard back?" she teased.

He looked down at her, serious for a moment.

"No, Scully...no more disguises," he whispered, taking her around the shoulders and hugging her for a moment. She wrapped her arm more tightly around his waist and hugged him back. Then they moved apart and took each other's hands instead.

"Good," she replied, drawing him along with her towards the door.

Skinner smiled as they walked through the glass entrance and out into the warm, clear June dawn.

xXx

EPILOGUE

October 11, 2001. A beach house. Crossroads, Maine.

Walter Skinner splayed out over Dana Scully, his hips falling between her thighs. She laughed and kissed his cheek as he nuzzled her neck.

"Mmm, that feels good," she chuckled, her voice low and sultry as his hard cock teased her labia.

"You feel good, woman," he replied huskily. He reached down and lifted his cock, rubbing the head over her clit. He looked into her face as he did so and grinned down at her. She gave him a slow, sensuous smile. She was so responsive, wet and ready again after her first orgasm. God, Skinner was hot for her. He wanted to make love to her all day...make her come again and again he thought as he bent his head, licking and sucking at her right nipple. He planted his hands on either side of her head, and his cock rubbed harder against her folds.

She arched up under him and spread her legs further, lifting them then and wrapping them around his waist. The pillow under her hips helped her to tilt her hips up farther as Skinner looked down between their legs. He took his cock in hand again and fumbled with it against her.

"Distracting?" she teased as her legs squeezed his waist. He lost his aim for a moment and laughed.

"Yeah...maybe I should pull back and study the terrain for a minute," he retorted, looking up and giving her a lazy smile.

She laughed and pulled him in closer. He found her vulva and thrust into her smoothly then, coming to rest with his balls against her ass. They stilled, savoring the sensation of their joined bodies and he reached for her hands where she stretched them out to the sides and a little above her head. He took her hands in his, their fingers entwining on the bedspread.

He toyed with her ring finger and the wedding band there, white gold with square cut diamonds in a very feminine pattern. It complemented the more masculine ring on his finger. She ran her thumb over his ring and then over the scars on the back of his hand with infinite tenderness. Skinner bent down and kissed her gently on the lips. She sighed into his mouth and whimpered a little as he gently moved his cock deep inside her. When he pulled back he whispered into her ear.

"Happy honeymoon, Scully."

"Shouldn't that be happy honeymoon, Mrs. Skinner?" she whispered back, sucking at his earlobe.

He chuckled.

"I lose my mind when you do that thing that you do," he replied as she ran her tongue into his ear.

She gave a throaty chuckle and removed her tongue from that particular erogenous spot. He focused on her face.

"Happy honeymoon, Mrs. Skinner," he purred, drawing his cock out of her slightly and then thrusting it forward again.

"Oh yes," she sighed, rising up to meet him.

He grinned at her again as they began a nice, slow, steady fuck. Their hands stayed entwined as they began to move together, finding a good rhythm that suited them both after only a few moments.

They pumped together languidly for a while, just enjoying the feeling of their bodies focusing on the point where Skinner was plunging in and out. They both watched, taking in the sight of Skinner's hard, swollen cock pulling out and pushing back into Scully's body.

"Can you see?" Skinner panted at one point, raising up a little as Scully craned her neck to watch.

"God...that's fantastic. I love the way your cock feels," she whispered, squeezing his fingers.

Skinner dropped his lips to Scully's and nuzzled them and then he worked his mouth down her neck and onto her breasts as he slowed down his hips further. Skinner made an incoherent sound in his throat and she kissed his bald head as he sucked, open mouthed, at her skin. After a few moments he gradually increased the speed of his thrusts again in the teasing technique that he'd learned really drove Scully wild.

They rocked together mostly in silence then except for Scully's occasional deep moan and Skinner's grunts as he finally picked up his pace, pumping with quick, firm piston-like movements against her. He rose up slightly on his knees to get a better angle and ground the base of his cock against her clit, working to bring her off first. They smiled at each other and their twin smiles turned to grimaces of pleasure as they really began to hump against each other, taking each other towards completion.

"Oh...Oh God, lover," Scully sobbed, clutching at his fingers as Skinner clenched his teeth with the effort to hold on. She gazed up at him and Skinner thought her aroused face was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen in the whole world. "So good," she moaned, gasping and struggling to keep her eyes on him.

"Beautiful," he hissed, stabbing hard at her with his hips, rotating them up a little more to keep the friction steady on her swollen flesh. Finally she arched up against him, jerking her hips frantically for a moment. Her eyes shut at last as she screamed.

"OHHHH!" Scully cried out, and then she was silent, her neck straining back.

"Love you," Skinner panted hard as she writhed into him.

All the muscles around her genitals tightened down like a vice and her hands worked spastically in his as she held onto him for support. Her stomach clenched taut as well and Skinner groaned as her inner muscles gripped his cock. He rocked against her rapidly, fucking her deep with fast thrusts of his hips. Their hips moved together on autopilot for several seconds and then Skinner roared in ecstasy.

"UHHHHHSCULLY!" he yelled, his orgasm taking him almost unaware and exploding through him like a time bomb going off. He groaned again with each jerk of his hips, once, twice and a third time his cum spurted deep inside his lover. Finally both he and Scully began to lose steam and their hips slowed and then they sagged against each other. Both of them were gasping. Scully lowered her legs and Skinner settled between them, still inside her. He gently pulled his right hand away from Scully's and tenderly brushed her hair away from her sweating brow as he took his weight on his forearms and knees.

"Good morning," he chuckled into her dancing eyes. His chest heaved up and down over her breasts as he worked to get his breath back.

 

She shook her head in amusement, coughing as she regained normal breathing. Skinner started to breathe normally as well and smiled down at her.

"I guess so...my offer to fix breakfast will be a poor follow-up to this performance I'm afraid," she quipped. Then she reached up and caressed his jaw, running her fingertips over his beard stubble. "I can't even tell you how good it felt."

Skinner caressed her hair and nodded.

"You inspire me," he whispered. "Besides..." he added, feeling between them and touching where they were still joined. "...my love for you makes this connection have true meaning, Dana," he added quietly, withdrawing his hand, his eyes searching her face. Scully raised her arms and drew him down, hugging his head to her sweating breasts. They lay like that for a few moments and she caressed his back. Finally she removed her hands and he levered up on his forearms again.

"I'd better pull out. You'll be late for that conference," he said, his voice a little rough.

Scully nodded, biting at her lower lip, trying very hard to suppress the tears that were making her eyes moist.

They disentangled themselves, Skinner sliding his cock out of Scully's body and Scully rolled over, off the pillow and sat up. Skinner did as well, draping his legs on either side of hers as she sat on the edge of the bed. He pulled her close and held her to him for a final kiss on her neck. She arched the column of her throat for him and he pressed his mouth to her skin. He could feel her heartbeat on his lips. Then he mumbled in her ear.

"Come on...I'll wash your back."

He felt her smile on his cheek as she nodded and scooted up off the edge of the bed.

They'd actually rented the beach front property in Crossroads just before the wedding. The marriage had been delayed considerably anyway due to Skinner staying on longer at Creed Farm. There hadn't been a trial for Ray Underwood, that kept him there however, only a commitment hearing as it turned out. No, the reason Skinner had stayed in Lyons was to help Harlan and Nancy out once Harlan got home and Kevin was released from the hospital. Kevin's parents had flown back to California and then driven back to Pennsylvania in their van with enough clothing and sundries for an extended stay. So, Skinner had been needed to lend a hand until everything was settled down. Once the entire Creed clan was in one place and could set up a concrete plan for handling the farmwork well into fall, including hiring extra labor, Skinner decided he wasn't needed any longer and joined Scully on the end of her book signing tour.

He had enjoyed his time in Lyons and on the farm so much it was bittersweet to leave however. He knew Harlan, with his physical therapy going well, and Nancy and the twins would be fine. He also knew Kevin was healing and would be able to return to California a little late to start the fall semester but return he would. Skinner knew they would all be fine...he just knew he'd miss them. Of course, he and Scully had a standing invitation to visit either in Pennsylvania or California so that was always a possibility.

Skinner had left Pennsylvania and flew out to Los Angeles on August fifteenth for the Western leg of Scully's tour. When the press got wind of his presence there had been a brief spurt of publicity. Scully and Skinner had contacted Scully's family before then and Skinner had contacted his to inform them they were going to head down the aisle as soon as possible. Once in LA she'd called her brother Bill in San Diego to do direct damage control when the media attention hit. Margaret Scully and Charles were called and Skinner called his family as well. Everyone prepared for the onslaught as best they could.

The engagement ring that appeared on Scully's finger in San Francisco quieted the rumors as well as took the spotlight off everyone, including family members. After a while, Skinner became non-news again and his hanging around when Scully was signing made nary a blip on anyone's radar. About the only time the subject of his past came up was when a curious book signing attendee inquired politely if Skinner ever considered writing a book.

Finally, the questions started Skinner thinking about that hitherto extreme possibility. He had to find something to do with his time after all. He was well funded so it wasn't like he felt as though he was leeching off Scully. There had even been some offers trickling in to work in the private sector in security. But getting his version of the story down was starting to have a certain appeal. So, having another author in the family wasn't a bad choice of occupation he thought.

By the time the Western part of the tour was over and he and Scully were headed back to DC, Skinner had half a mind to give writing the book a shot. He started making notes as they tried to decide when and where to get married. A providential e-mail from Mulder actually put them on the trail of the beach front house in Crossroads. Mulder told them it belonged to a friend of a friend and was available for rent by the month. Scully had exactly one month left on her sabbatical from the Bureau starting October first. So, after a few days stopover in DC to collect Margaret Scully, they went up to Maine and were married October fifth.

Since it was short notice, they had a bit of trouble finding a place to hold the nuptials but finally the ceremony was held in the small Catholic church in nearby Pennescott. Scully's brothers and their families joined Margaret Scully, and Skinner's family was in attendance too. He knew Scully's mother was glad her daughter was marrying in the faith. His mother was happy about it too...bestowing the pronouncement, "Walter if your father was still alive he would have been very proud." Skinner felt comfortable with the wedding's location as a result. Besides...he was feeling at peace and his questioning about his relationship with God though still there...was mitigated by the fact that he was starting to get the answers he needed in that area. As a result his issues with some aspects of Catholicism were something both he and Scully were at peace with as well.

Mulder sent his regrets and didn't attend the wedding. Even the Gunmen flew in from Heathrow and surprised the bride by showing up at the church, but Mulder was a no show. Scully had been disappointed but under the circumstances Skinner could rather understand why her ex-partner...in the double meaning of the word...had claimed to be too busy with his class schedule to take the time off.

The disappointment was lessened a bit by the fact that he sent a videotape of himself for Scully and Skinner to watch which also featured the Gunmen and was in its own right, absolutely hilarious and helped to lighten the mood considerably. How Mulder managed to make the Borley Rectory research into something akin to Monty Python was amazing but Skinner and Scully had watched the tape with the Gunmen and they'd all laughed like hell.

Skinner just hoped his ex-agent was happy. He didn't look bad on the tape. He even looked like he was enjoying himself. The end of the video consisted of a close-up of Mulder's face and he assured them that as soon as he could he'd make it back to the States to say a proper hello and offer his congratulations in person. Skinner knew he would. The timing just had to be right...and Skinner didn't think Mulder wasn't quite ready to tackle seeing Scully...especially Scully with Skinner again. The Gunmen told Scully that Mulder really meant it and then they'd left, flying back to England. Skinner and Scully had gone back to the beach house for their honeymoon...of sorts.

Scully had accepted an invitation months ago from Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine to be a guest along with Stephen King and Tom Clancy at a writer's conference and workshop. The conference began with check-in and orientation on the afternoon of October eleventh and lasted through Sunday morning. Scully'd accepted months ago and couldn't really back out. So, after their families had left town, Scully and Skinner were spending a soon to be interrupted honeymoon taking in the sites around Crossroads along with the fall scenery, enjoying each other's company, eating out and in, running on the beach together...and making love...a lot.

Now on Thursday morning Scully was getting ready to go down to Brunswick for the conference. Skinner would, in fact, join her on Friday afternoon. Until then, he'd work on his book. Yeah, he'd started writing it. Scully's publisher as well as her agent had expressed interest in his efforts. He'd submit to them as soon as he was confident the book was going to be worthy of publication. Even if it wasn't he was finding the process of dealing with what happened to him rather cathartic. He wasn't quite ready yet in regards to showing the manuscript to the world but he was surprised to find the writing was going so well. Of course he had a secret weapon in writing the book...his wife was an accomplished author. Scully had been constructive in her criticism, termed him a 'budding author' and encouraged him to go down to the conference to see if he could pick up any additional pointers.

While Scully was getting dressed, Skinner, wearing only his jeans, padded down the hall to the spare bedroom that they were using for their combined offices. His laptop awaited him there and he'd decided to answer his e-mail as well as take a quick look at the book chapter he'd been working on before Scully was ready to leave.

He sat down at his desk and booted up the IBM. His fingers tapped the keys, efficiently establishing the online connection in a few moments as the ISP proved to be fairly speedy as well. His account had mail and he observed it was all spam except the first e-mail. That electronic letter was from Kevin Creed. Skinner smiled a little, pushed his glasses back up his nose, and opened it.

Kevin had kept in touch and it pleased Skinner greatly that he did. He didn't know how long it would last but so far the teen didn't seem at all inclined to stop e-mailing. The e-mail was full of news about his finally getting back to school in California and the band he fronted getting their first real paying gig. He was also happy to report that Carolyn was staying in touch...with Kevin's parents' permission. Skinner couldn't help but wonder if something serious had developed there. At the very least, Kevin had found a good friend. They were certainly young but they really did seem to have formed a bond. He smiled at the idea that perhaps, even at such a young age, Kevin had met the woman he would be spending the rest of his life with after all. Hell...he was turning into the eternal romantic optimist here wasn't he? Yeah, well...it felt good too. His smile widened a little further.

Then he smiled even wider as he opened the attached .jpg file that was included with the e-mail. The last line Kevin had written said, "This is just to show you I'm taking care of her" and there on Skinner's screen was a photo of Kevin posed in front of the Plymouth Barracuda in the parking lot of his high school. Skinner didn't regret giving the car to the kid at all...well in truth he'd sold it to the teen for the grand total of $1.00 because Kevin wouldn't take it as a gift. But the look on his face when he handed him the keys and the smile on his face in the photo told Skinner it had been the right decision. Besides, Skinner rather liked the Land Rover he bought to replace the car.

"It was a car made for California weather anyway," Skinner said aloud, grinning, as he hit the reply button on his e-mail client.

"What, Walter?" Scully called from the hallway.

"I was talking about the Plymouth. I got an e-mail from Kevin," he called back.

He stopped typing as Scully came into the room, trying to fasten the button at the back of her blouse. "How is Kevin and can you get this for me?" she asked, smiling as she came up to his chair.

"He's doing great...and yes, ma'am," he replied, motioning for her to turn around. He stood up and biting his lip a little succeeded in getting his large fingers to close the button after a satisfyingly short period of time. He patted her neck and felt the twinge of melancholy he always felt when he remembered the chip embedded there.

"Done," he informed her, shaking off the sadness.

"Thank you, sir," she replied, turning into him.

He gathered her close and kissed the top of her head. Skinner mused as his lips touched her hair that it wasn't too long ago that he didn't think he'd ever be able to feel Scully's loving touch at all. Now, he reveled in holding Scully, even in public, and he was so incredibly grateful for having her with him.

"I'll be out in a minute," he replied huskily. "I just want to answer this e-mail."

"All right...brunch will be ready," she chuckled as he ran his hands over her ass. He laughed and let her go. She gave him a parting smile over her shoulder as she walked out.

xXx

"So...are you all set?" Skinner asked her as he and Scully stood at the door to the beach house. He was still wearing only his jeans as he fingered his mug of coffee. Scully had on what he still thought of as her Bureau daywear. Tailored dressed for success black suit and off white shell underneath along with sensible shoes. She looked professional...intelligent and capable. Skinner thought she'd knock 'em dead at Bowdoin. He had tremendous respect for her abilities as a writer, a doctor and an agent. Bowdoin college was really getting a triple threat when they invited her to take part in the workshop.

Of course he also thought she looked as sexy as hell too. He liked Agent Scully as much as Mrs. Skinner. In fact...maybe he preferred Agent Scully. He still called her Scully most of the time...obviously even when they were making love. Force of habit for them both really in part as he'd mentioned to Nancy, he thought with an inner shrug. But he'd also determined it had become a term of endearment as well. The essential woman epitomized in a name...strong yet soft and loving as well. So, Scully it was a lot of the time. Besides...she said she liked the way Scully sounded when he roared it out in the heat of passion. That thought brought back visions of earlier this morning and he smiled as Scully shouldered her purse. He'd already helped take her bags to the car.

"What?" she asked, smiling quizzically as she noticed the little grin that graced his lips.

He chuckled.

"I was just thinking of earlier this morning," he replied honestly, the grin spreading further.

"Hold that thought," she laughed, stepping up close to him. "I'll see you again soon enough. And we're booked into a B&B in Brunswick. I did let slip that the conference interrupted our honeymoon after all," she added, her eyes bright.

"Like I've said before..."

"'Excellent in thinking on my feet?" Scully interrupted, smiling.

"Exactly," Skinner replied, chuckling. Then he took her hand in his and pulled her in close for a quick kiss. He held his coffee mug out to the side and their lips met and played over each other. Scully pulled back first and touched his cheek.

"All right...I'll see you tomorrow around noon," she replied, stepping back. He held onto her hand for a moment longer and then released it.

"Have a safe trip," he replied quietly, looking down at his coffee cup.

Scully nodded, turned and opened the front door. Her sharp intake of breath caused Skinner's head to snap up.

What the hell, Skinner thought.

"Mulder!" Scully exclaimed.

"Hey," Fox Mulder said, giving Scully and then Skinner a lopsided grin. Skinner blinked, his lips parted but no sound came out. He was temporarily speechless. "Well...that's a first...seeing you at a loss for words," his visitor chuckled and Skinner finally found his voice.

"Ok...try this then...what the hell are you doing here?" Skinner laughed. Scully was so shocked she couldn't say anything else for a second but then she stepped forward, flung the screen door open and laughing, Mulder walked in and then into her outstretched arms. They hugged each other for a second and then he stepped back, the grin firmly affixed to his lips.

"Eloquent as ever," he smiled at Skinner, proffering his hand to his ex-boss. Skinner took it and shook firmly, letting his lips twitch into a grin as well and then he laughed again, and pumped Mulder's arm up and down hard.

"Mulder...what the hell 'are' you doing here?" Scully asked, her voice caught somewhere between amusement and bewilderment with a touch of worry thrown in. She fumbled with her purse for a moment and Skinner shut the doors again. Then he stepped back to take in the younger man.

Mulder hadn't changed much at all. He still dressed like a male model. A Prada suit this afternoon. His eyes were still that limpid hazel, clear and intelligent. There were a few more lines around them, though. Skinner thought he saw some strands of gray hair at his temples but his close cropped hair was still a rich brown unless you were really observant. He was fit and trim, lean but not thin now that he was moving into middle-age. Skinner thought he looked fine...but a little nervous despite his bravado. Skinner crossed his arms over his chest and waited for the younger man to tell them what was on his mind.

"Tom Clancy couldn't make it," he said.

"What?" Scully replied, confused then she made an exasperated gesture. "The conference...Clancy couldn't make it?" she repeated.

"Evidently," Skinner replied wryly. Scully gave him a raised eyebrow and he chuckled. "What happened?"

"I guess he's got pneumonia. And...you're looking at his last minute replacement. A publicists wet dream...you and me on the same bill," he wisecracked, spreading his hands and making a small bow.

"Oh...good Lord," Scully blustered a little and then she touched his sleeve as if she was trying to see if he was really there. "How long ago did you know this...I didn't hear anything about it. Why didn't you tell us anything ahead of time?" she asked in rapid fire fashion.

"Whoa...Agent Scully," Mulder replied, laughing. "Hold on there partner..." he stopped dead and winced a little, getting hung up on the terminology. Scully looked down for a moment, and there was an awkward silence. Skinner jumped in to fill the gap.

"I take it you flew in this morning?" he asked, uncrossing his arms.

"Yes, into Bangor. I rented a car and drove by here on the way to Brunswick on the off chance I'd catch you before you left. Besides...well...you saw the tape," he replied. "I got the opportunity to take a few days off...so..." he shrugged, letting his voice trail off.

"Who's taking your classes?" Scully asked, still trying to wrap her brain around the situation.

Skinner watched her face and body language and he could tell she was pleased to see Mulder but also agitated and upset but doing a fair job of hiding it. Mulder was looking at her too and Skinner could tell he was reading her as well. Skinner felt a flare of jealousy but he chided himself for it. They had been together for over seven years after all, and part of that as lovers. He would know her reactions as well as and maybe better in some cases than Skinner. Skinner watched Mulder watching Scully and saw the dawning realization on Mulder's face that maybe driving here first hadn't been such a great idea. Maybe accepting the invitation to substitute for Tom Clancy hadn't even been a good idea under the circumstances. But he tried to maintain his game face when he answered Scully.

"The guys," he replied, smiling a little.

"The Gunmen?" Skinner asked, barking a laugh. Scully looked at Mulder and her mouth dropped open.

"You're kidding?" she replied, raising her eyebrows.

"No," Mulder laughed. "I'm serious. They've been in on all the research and they know as much about Borley Rectory and the other paranormal hot spots around England as I do at this point. They'll be fine handling the course. Besides...Oxford could benefit from a little of their special kind of...charm," he replied, grinning.

"I'd pay to see Frohike in front of one of those Oxford classrooms," Skinner chuckled, running his hand over his scalp.

"Well actually...Byers is doing a lot of the actual lecturing. Langly and Frohike are preparing the slides and lesson plans. So, at least the Headmaster gets a suit at lecture," Mulder replied, shifting his feet a little.

"Mulder...I don't know what to say..." Scully finally replied, her voice soft.

"You'll have to excuse us...we're running a little behind and Scully was just about to leave," Skinner explained, trying to cover for Scully's obvious flustered demeanor.

"Oh...well..." Mulder started to reply taking in Skinner's undress. Something passed across Mulder's face...a fleeting look of embarrassment...and it suddenly dawned on Skinner that unfortunately he had a rather large hickey on his chest just to the right and below his clavicle. Oh wonderful, Skinner thought. Well...it had been a pretty wild few days...and he knew Scully was sporting a similar mark in a location that Mulder couldn't see. Mulder's eyes shifted from Skinner's chest over to Scully's face and Scully was flushing red in discomfort. Mulder breathed out, "uh...yeah." And then he looked back at Skinner and tried to salvage the situation. "So...go throw your clothes on and let's hit the road," he finished, looking from Skinner to Scully again.

"Walter wasn't going down to Brunswick until tomorrow," Scully replied, straightening a little and giving Mulder a smile.

"Oh," Mulder replied and they all stood there awkwardly again for a few seconds until Mulder sagged a little, sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "Look," he added. "I didn't mean to intrude. Maybe this was a bad idea. I'm sorry."

"No...it's not an intrusion," Scully hastened to assure him.

"Not a problem at all," Skinner added, his brow furrowing. In the back of his mind he was thinking...don't be jealous. Grow up, Walter. Just because they're going to be alone together doesn't mean they're going to be 'alone' together. He shook himself a little to banish those thoughts as Mulder spoke again.

"Ok then...I'll cut to the chase. First of all...congratulations on your marriage again. I brought you a little something here," he said, fishing around in his inner suit coat pocket and withdrawing an envelope. "This is the other reason I stopped here first I guess. It's not much but...it's heartfelt, really," he added handing the envelope to Skinner. Skinner took it in hand and opened it. "Redskin Season tickets for you guys...a belated wedding gift," Mulder stated.

"So I see," Skinner replied, fingering the tickets. Scully stepped close to Skinner and looked at the tickets. She then gave Mulder a wistful smile.

"There's a lot of the season left," Mulder added, grinning a little.

Skinner nodded, distracted for a moment. There was a note inside the envelope as well. Skinner read it. 'Congratulations. I wish you both all the happiness in the world' it said and it was signed Fox Mulder. Scully read it as well and looked back up at Mulder.

"Thank you, Mulder," she replied quietly, her voice sincere.

"Yes, thank you," Skinner replied equally as sincerely.

"My pleasure," Mulder smiled. "And I have something else to say to you both as well. I'd appreciate it if you just let me get it out...otherwise I'm libel to lose my nerve," he added, giving them a wry smile. Skinner nodded and so did Scully. She moved a little closer to Skinner and he gently took her hand and squeezed it for support as Mulder continued to speak.

"I just wanted to let you both know I meant what I said in my note. I didn't come here to try to...to try to win Scully back, Walter. That's the last thing on my mind. Just from looking at the two of you, I can see you're both tremendously happy. I just needed some time to reconcile my mind to the idea that Scully made a different choice in her life and that choice wasn't to stay with me. I can deal with that idea. I only want the best for you both and I know that Scully's loved now...and she's happy. I'm not going to stand in the way of her well-being," he quietly stated, looking at Skinner.

Skinner could tell he had more to say so he merely nodded and Mulder went on.

"Scully...I'm not sure I ever loved you the way you really needed to be loved...you know what I mean...God knows we discussed it enough at the end. You have that love now, that stability too with Walter. We were good with some aspects of our relationship but we were always better together professionally and as friends than we were once things got uh...physical. I'll always be your friend, you'll have a special place in my heart...but I respect the choice you've made and I don't begrudge you marrying Walter at all. So...uh...that's about all I wanted to say. I thought maybe the two of you would join me at the conference and we could...you know...knock back a few beers and talk about old times. But if you'd prefer not to do that, I'll more than understand," he finished quietly, looking from Scully to Skinner and back to Skinner again.

Scully released Skinner's hand and walked toward Mulder. He stood hesitating for a second and then he raised his arms a little and then completely as Scully slipped in under them and hugged him tight. Mulder hugged her back and Skinner came over and gave Mulder's back a quick pat.

"I haven't forgotten how to pack fast," Skinner said, giving Mulder a smile. "Hang on, I'll throw some stuff in a bag, get dressed and be with you in a few minutes," he added. Mulder smiled and nodded. Skinner left them standing in the hallway and headed back to the bedroom.

When he returned, dressed in a suit and carrying his garment bag and shaving kit, Mulder was on the phone and Scully was pretending not to listen to his conversation. Skinner drew up to her side and dropped the garment bag. It clunked a little. His sneakers were in the bottom.

"That 'was' fast," she whispered as he raised his eyebrows and tipped his chin at Mulder.

"Thanks. Who's he talking to?" he asked.

Skinner watched Mulder's face for a moment and noticed it had softened and that he had a gentle smile playing about his lips as he talked. He heard him say, "Yes...I'll tell them. Sure," before he refocused on Scully.

"Marita Covarrubias," Scully replied quietly, raising her eyebrows.

"Marita?" Skinner replied, astonished. "I'd heard she was in England..." Skinner began.

Marita had been one of the many casualties of the war. Her allegiances had seemed murky at first but eventually her situation had proven to be very much like Skinner's in terms of trying to do a job against intolerable circumstances. She had suffered due to first the infection with the black oil and then her use as a human guinea pig by the Consortium in developing their vaccine against the oil. The one decent thing Alex Krycek had done before he was killed by the Consortium was to get Marita out of Russia after the Consortium had dumped her there near Tunguska. She'd been nearly dead.

"Yes, she's been in England since she left Sweden. Bolton has that clinic over there specializing in treating those who were manipulated genetically. Mulder was just checking in with her. I think it sounds like he's been helping her...maybe financing her treatment..." Scully began. Before she could say anything else Mulder hung up the phone.

"So, that was fast," he grinned, taking in Skinner's attire. "You look like you're heading to the Hoover," he chuckled.

"Not bloody likely," Skinner barked a laugh. Mulder laughed as well and Scully smiled at them both.

Mulder cleared his throat.

"Uh...Marita Covarrubias is in England. I've kind of been helping her out a little. I was just checking in with her. She sent her regards," Mulder said, clearing his throat a little.

Skinner and Scully glanced at each other. Scully suppressed a smile.

"How's she doing?" Skinner asked with sincere interest.

"The doctors are optimistic. She's weak but...well there's been a lot of progress," Mulder replied, nodding as he spoke. "You know I...I sort of felt responsible for all that...what happened to her I mean. I felt I should help," he added, shrugging a little.

Scully touched his arm.

"Mulder..." she began.

Skinner knew what she was going to say. She was going to tell him not to shoulder the guilt. He caught her eye and watched as awareness flowed over her features. He smiled at her and she smiled back at him and spoke again.

"...that's very kind. Maybe we can talk about her case later. I'd be interested to see if I could help too," she replied.

"That would be great," Mulder replied, smiling.

Skinner went to pick up his garment bag so that neither Mulder or Scully would see his somewhat bemused grin. Well...this was certainly an interesting development he thought. Maybe Mulder was going to do all right after all. He shook his head in befuddlement. Go figure. He would have never imagined Mulder cared about Marita Covarrubias in anything even remotely resembling a romantic way. But...apparently he felt something for her...whether that was born out of guilt or not was a moot point. If he cared enough for her to pay for her treatments and enough to check in with her once he got here that spoke of the possibility that something further might develop. Skinner hoped that meant Mulder would find love, happiness, peace and closure at last...if he could get over the guilt. Skinner had learned to cope with his...he had faith Mulder would as well.

He picked up his garment bag, unzipped it and shoved his shaving kit in. Then he stood back up, shouldering it. For a moment he took in Mulder and Scully and he had a sudden overpowering sense of deja vu. Seeing them standing together, Mulder holding his cell phone in his hand...it was just like the old days. He felt like he should be barking an order at them, asking them for their report, or telling Kimberly that she could let them into his office so he could listen to Mulder try to justify an expense report or 302 with Scully pugnaciously backing him up. A lump formed in his throat and he swallowed it down as the memories of those times played across his mind's eye. God...despite everything that had happened...he would always remember his working relationship...his friendship with these two people with a special fondness and love.

He smiled and stepped forward, placing a hand on both Mulder and Scully's shoulders and with that gesture he felt like he completed the circle of everything they had been and would be from that point forward.

"Shall we go...Agents?" he said curtly, nodding towards the door.

Scully smiled at him with love in her eyes and Mulder grinned.

"Lead on...sir. We're right behind you," he replied and the three of them walked out into the warm October sunshine.

-THE END-
Back to story page