Chapter 5


Author:   Beth
Rating:   NC-17  (overall story)
Spoilers:   Up Through "She"
Summary:   A retelling of the episode "She" as it might have happened in the Power of Three universe.

Disclaimer:   We don't own any of these characters, or the basic plot of the episode "She," written by David Greenwalt and Marti Noxon, from which this story is adapted.  Angel, Doyle, Cordelia, Wesley et al. are the property of Joss Whedon's Mutant Enemy Productions, 20th Century Fox and/or The WB.

Thoughts between Angel, Doyle and Cordelia are marked //like this.//






I sit on the couch in the office, eyes closed, head resting against the back of the couch.  Cordy and Angel are somewhere else.  I could figure it out, if I wanted to, by simply concentrating on our link.  I don't though.  Our conversation still has me a little upset.

It's hard, seein' and facin' how weak ya really are.  Takes a lot outta you.  I'm finally being forced by my lovers to face my demon half, come to terms with it and all that.  Have to say it hurt like hell when they more or less made me change against my will.  Yet it was wonderful too.  They showed me how much I'm loved, whether it's the demon part or the human.  They love me entirely, every single bit with all their hearts.  No, no one else ever has, not even Harry.  I suppose I might have sumthin' to do with that, though.  I never let her in.

A warmth comes over me, the feeling washing over my entire body.  I look up, knowing who it is causing this.  But the action is still done.  So lost in thought, I hadn't heard or felt 'Delia or Angel enter the room.  Or else I had felt it but let it slip to the back of my mind.  Either way, my loves are here, standing in the doorway wrapped in one another's arms.

" 'Allo."  I smile weakly, not knowing why I even bothered speaking.  They could hear my thoughts, after all.

//Doyle, we're sorry about...// Cordelia starts and I don't even let her finish before responding.  I knew she was upset.  That they both were.

//Nothin' needs ta be said, Princess.  Ya had ta do i'.//  I don't want to feel their guilt.  They have nothing to be guilty about, after all.  //I can't stand me demon side at times.  But i's there no matter wha'.  It always will be.  I had ta realize ya didn't mind it.//

//But we...// Angel now, attempting to apologize.  No need to.  I send them both this thought and they smile.  A second later I'm wrapped in both their arms.  I lean back against Angel's chest and sigh softly.

//I' wasn' all bad ya know.  Ya two showed me ya cared more'n I ever thought was possible.//

//So we're forgiven?//  I kiss Cordelia on the cheek.

//Could never hold sumt'in' against ya, luv.//  A glance up at Angel.  //Either of ya.//

We're sitting like this for a few peaceful moments when a knock on the door interrupts it all.  I try and fail, not to be upset by this as I rise to my feet.  ‘Delia and Angel separate as well, he going to sit behind the desk as she stayed on the couch, flipping through a magazine.  All in all, a perfectly innocent picture.

I open the door and see Wesley's smiling face.  Great, just who I wanted to see.  No matter that, I smile at him in hopefully a friendly way.

"Wesley.  Good ta see ya."

"Hmm?  Oh, yes, Doyle.  Same to you.  Are Cordelia and Angel by chance..."

"In th' office."  I respond, sending the others a slight warning.  Not that they were necessarily up t' anythin' but best to be safe.  What I wouldn't give to...

//Now now, Doyle.  We don't want to give him a heart attack, do we?//

A mental sigh and smirk.  //Guess no', boss.  But i' would be entertainin'.//

//I thought I was the evil one.//

//I do have me moments, t'anks.//

I hear Cordy tryin' to shush Angel and snicker softly.  //Ah ah ya two... We gotta behave ourselves, ‘member?//

"Something wrong, Mr... uh, Doyle?"

"Nah."  I shake my head.  "Couldn't be bett'r."  And it's true.  For the first time in my life it's true.







"So ya want us ta go check thi' out then?" I ask Angel, already knowing the answer.  Wesley had found something about those we're after in a book.  They need to have lots of plants and flowers to eat, or sumthin' like that.  As Cordy put it, we were 'looking for the biggest compost heap in LA'.  And found it too, or at least close enough to count.  The California Flower Mart.

He nods.  "I'll stay here, daylight and all.  Try and see what else I can find out.  But I trust the three of you will have no problems investigating..."

"I assure you, sir, your faith in me will..."

//Oh get a bloody grip already, Wesley.//  I manage to hold back from saying the comment aloud but it's still heard loud and clear by my lovers.

//Hush.// Cordy commands me.  I smile innocently at her, not saying a word out loud.

//Care ta make me, Princess?//

Angel clears his throat, getting us back on track.  We have a tendency to get distracted, ‘specially with the shared mind.

"Be careful, okay?"  Again the earlier conversation comes to mind and I shake my head slowly.  We have to be careful now, more so than before.  So much, it seems, depends on it.

Delia takes my hand in hers briefly and I know Wesley over there's bothered by it.  But right now I really don't care what he thinks.

I grin at Angel, trying to hide the slightly upset feeling from him.  "When aren't we, man?"

He smiles but I can't help but see the sadness in the smile.  Okay, so I'm reckless.  But that isn't too often.  It's not like it gets me too injured either.

"I'll be good, I promise.  We both will."  I send to him the thought of us truly doing our best to be careful.  Angel nods ever so slightly.

//I love you both.//

//We know,// Cordy and I think as one.

When we all get to the place, 'Delia's doubt hits me hard.  I look over at her worried.  //What is it, darlin'?//

"It's just... maybe we should have waited for Angel to come along."  I blink as she speaks aloud.  She has got to be worried then.  I move over closer and wrap an arm around her waist.  Wesley glares at us over this.  I resist the urge to glare back.

"We'll be fine, 'Delia.  I promise ya."

Wesley clears his throat.  "Now that I am officially in Angel's employ, I feel that it's doubly important to show initiative and drive.  We can't just dally about."  He notices some sort of flower beside him and pauses.  Not get distracted, eh?  "Look!  Nancy's petticoat.  Oh, they're quite rare.  They were..."

"Wes, man, I hate ta break it to ya but ya're distracted.  Dallyin'.  All that."

Cordelia just gives him a look.  This is one of those times I really love her.

"Right.  Shoving off."  He mumbles, trying to make it as though that's what he had planned from the beginning.  I really do wonder what is with him sometimes.

Before any sort of bickering can start Cordy speaks.  Aloud, of course, for his benefit.  "I wonder where they keep the compost."

"I'm sure we can find it by following our noses."  Watcher-boy answers before I can.

"Okay... Now I'm sure we shouldn't have come here.  It smells like flower poop!"

I laugh both aloud and mentally at this.  Some things will never change.  I get whapped on the arm at this thought and shot a really angry look.  "Aw Cordy, a little 'flower poop' nev'r hurt anyone, did it?"

"Well you're not the one wearing – "

Whatever she was about to say is cut short as we hear someone coming.  It's not the best hiding place in the world but we crouch down behind some nearby barrels.

I just hope to God we're not noticed.  There's no telling what these guys'd do.