Chapter 3


Author:   Lyric Locke
Rating:   NC-17  (overall story)
Spoilers:   Up Through "She"
Summary:   A retelling of the episode "She" as it might have happened in the Power of Three universe.

Disclaimer:   We don't own any of these characters, or the basic plot of the episode "She," written by David Greenwalt and Marti Noxon, from which this story is adapted.  Angel, Doyle and Cordelia all belong to Joss, who is secretly a demon and a member of 'The Scourge'.  It's the only thing that makes sense, damnit.

Author's Notes:  Following Ellen and Beth was pretty hard but here's my contribution to the series, anyway.

Thoughts between Angel, Doyle and Cordelia are marked //like this.//






Angel and I peered out the window after our new lady friend had left and spotted her heading towards a parked car.  I panicked a little, I'll admit, thinking that we had come so close only to lose track of her.

//No we won't.//

I looked up at Angel in confusion, just as he reached down and snaked an arm underneath my jacket and behind my back.  He pulled me securely into his personal space and my arms automatically went around him in response to his nearness.

//Angel, love, you pick the weirdest times to get fresh.  Still, I guess it'd be more fun then sitting here licking our wounds, when there so many other more interesting things we could be lickin'...//

That earned me a roll of richly dark eyes and an exasperated/amused peck on the temple.  Then, I felt him moving us towards the window.

I didn't have to read my lover's mind to figure out what he was planning and a momentary surge of fear caused me to pull back slightly.  Angel turned his beautiful eyes on me again, this time with concern.

//I would never let anything happen to you, Doyle,// he thought at me.

Now, the strangest thing with this new link between Angel, Cordelia and I isn't the fact that we can hear each other's thoughts, its being exposed to one another's emotions.  Its impossible to describe how it felt at that moment, standing there and feeling the hugeness of Angel's love wash over me.  It did manage to shame me just a little, though, shame me for doubting him, if only for a split second.

But, among the many things that my death/resurrection experience had left me, was a newly developed fear of heights.  It must have been that moment, when I was struggling to shut down the device.  I remember looking down on the frightened faces of the huddled half-demons below me.  I felt the deadly light hitting me, searing my flesh away and I remember thinking, knowing that my life was ending, that they seemed so far away and I was so high, all alone and so very very high...

Angel's other arm came up and pulled me roughly against his solid chest.  He buried his face in my hair and held me so tightly that breathing became a bit of a challenge.

//I'm so sorry, Doyle.  God, I'm so sorry...//

Unable to bear Angel's guilt at something he had no reason to feel guilty for and knowing that we were wasting precious time when we should be following after the woman, I pushed back slightly from his embrace.  This time, it was me that pulled us towards the window.

"Doyle.."  he began in a hoarse whisper.

"Sh, Love.  It's all right."

//I trust you.//

And like he had only seconds before, I let him feel the strength of the love I held for both him and Cordelia and I also sent my trust, my absolute trust, something I would never let myself lose.

Our lips met in a passionate but brief kiss and then we stepped back out onto the ledge.

I caught the brief image of me being swept into his arms for the impending descent.

//I'm not a bloody girl,// I thought while shooting him a stern look.

He returned my look with a sultry one.

//I already figured that one out on my own.//

Before I could properly reply, his hands slid down to cup my rear and I felt myself being lifted a few inches.  Holding me securely, he stepped from the ledge.

And the whole time down, wrapped in Angel's arms as I felt the ground rushing up, I wasn't afraid, not once.

The landing was surprisingly smooth.  I was learning to respect the agility of a vampire.  I wouldn't mind learning to respect it a little bit more...

Judging by Angel's grin, it seems he caught that little thought loud and clear.

By this time, the woman with the odd tattoo was in her car and getting ready to pull out into traffic.  I was just about to get into Angel's car, when he reached out grabbed my arm.

//Wait for me back at the office.  I can handle this alone.//

Like hell.  He was scared, plain and simple.  My little trip down memory lane earlier apparently spooked him enough to kick his over-protective streak that had blossomed since my return into high gear.  I was ready to argue but the woman was already pulling away and Angel was too stubborn to be beaten in a quick argument, so I let it go.

//For now.//

He looked apologetic but nevertheless determined as he quickly got into his car and pulled away in pursuit.  I don't know how long I stood there watching his car pull away into the crowded LA streets but eventually it hit me:

I had to walk back.

I was so pissed, that I even tried to block out his apologies as I started towards the office.







When I arrived back, Cordelia was alone.

//Where's Wesley?//

//He found a lead on the demon guys we're looking for.  I sent him out ahead.//

Seems Angel wasn't the only one having fits of over-protectiveness around here.  Her worry was sent to me as easily as her thoughts and I pulled her into a tight embrace.  Her lips found mine and we kissed hungrily for long minutes.  Pulling back, I ran my fingers through her long silky hair, before directing us to the couch.  We sat down, still holding one another, as her head came to lightly rest against my chest.  Her hand strayed to my knee, as I continued to comb through her hair with the tips of my fingers in what I hoped was a calming gesture.

//I felt you get hurt earlier, Doyle.  Both of you.//

//I know.//

//I... I was scared.  I knew that you were all right but I was still scared.  I just wanted to see you myself.//

//I know, Princess, I know.//

I bent down and placed a gentle kiss on the side of her face.

//I love you both so much...//

She stretched up, offering and I took her lips, her love and gave her mine.







By the time Angel finally arrived, Cordelia and I were waiting in the upper offices, nervous wrecks.  We had felt the rush of adrenaline of the fight as surely as if we had been there ourselves and we were eager to see Angel with our own eyes to make certain he was all right.  He had sent us that he was unharmed but it did not put our minds at ease completely.  Being mind linked with someone was wonderful but the need for physical proof and touch was still necessary.

He had been feeding us information on his way over here with the demon woman, Jhiera.  He asked us to remain out of sight so to not frighten the untrusting woman away.

Reluctantly, we had agreed.

They were down there now, in his apartment.  We were catching many different emotions from Angel as we waited for his talk with Jhiera to end.  Confusion, sympathy, repulsion, anger and finally, lust.

I was hurt, confused and more then a little jealous.  Did I have any right to be, though?  After all, it was only natural to find other people attractive, wasn't it?

Suddenly, a white hot surge of lust hit me from Angel, as the blood drained from my face and seemed to go straight to my groin.

//He's ours.//

One thought shared by two minds and we headed towards Angel's apartment.  Enough was enough.

We passed the demon on the way out but we didn't pay her any attention.  She was outside our bond.  For now, that meant she had no importance.

Angel was standing near the elevator when we arrived.  Cordelia was walking ahead of me, so she got to him first.  Without breaking her stride, without any hesitation, she reached up, fisted her hands through his hair and dragged his mouth down to hers.  I stepped behind him, needing to get past that useless layer of clothing to reach his flesh.  Cordelia's hold on him as she devoured his kisses prevented me from pulling Angel's sweater over his head, so I simply grasped it by the collar and proceeded to ripped it clean down the middle.  My mouth was immediately on his cool solid back even as the sweater ripped in my hands.  I licked, kissed and bit every exposed inch I could reach.  There was no gentleness in my touches, no playfulness.  This was not simply an expression of love, although in its impassioned frenzy, it was that as well.

This was a claiming.

I moved my attention to his wonderfully broad shoulders, relishing the marks I made.  My mark on his pale skin.  I heard the sound of a zipper and noticed that Cordelia's hands had moved down from Angel's hair.  She was lavishing his neck with kisses, while she worked his zipper.  Seizing the opportunity, I grabbed my own fist full of his hair and bent his head towards me.  I felt him shudder against me, against the both of us, as I sucked in his tongue.  The three of us sank to the floor as one, our passion driving us to our knees.  Soon, Angel was completely nude between us and while Cordelia and I hurried to rid ourselves and each other of our own clothing, she suddenly stopped.  Placing her hands on either side of his bare hips, her dark eyes drilled into his.

//Do you wish you were with her?//

Angel's shock hit us but Cordelia did not release her grip or his eyes.  I could see the tiny drops of crimson from where her finger nails were digging into his skin, leaving little half-moons behind.  Her mark on his pale skin.  She continued relentlessly.

//Are you using us as a substitute for her?//

//You wanted her.  We felt your lust, Angel.// I contributed.

//You're wrong!  I felt lust but I could only ever want you two.  You're all I'll ever want.//

And we felt it; felt the truth of his words that washed down on us like a cleansing rain.  A rain that did nothing to stop our passion, our love, but merely urged it onward.

A long while later, we lay in a sweaty sated mess on Angel's floor.  This morning was like nothing I had ever experienced before and something I wouldn't mind too terribly experiencing again.  Once I recovered and rested up a bit, that is.

And we could all do with a nice long shower, as well.