Vampire Lore

version 1.0


created by Charles and the AngelSlash mailing list



The only way to become a vampire is, "...they have to suck your blood and then you have to suck their blood..."   — Buffy, "Welcome to the Hellmouth"

Vampires aren't humans at all, but demons who have taken up residence inside human corpses.  The one exception to this is Angel, who had his human soul returned to him because of a gypsy curse.  (Buffy-Angel, Becoming pt. 1)

Vampires cannot fly, turn to mist, shape-shift, or have reflections in mirrors.

Vampires do cast shadows, they can be videotaped and photgraphed.

They don't need to breathe, but it's thought that simulating breathing comforts them and helps them to feel less like one of the undead.

They cannot enter a mortal's private home without an invitation, but the invitation can be made at any time, even before the resdience is known (from Angel - "Room With A View").  Vampires can enter the home of a deceased mortal, no invitiation is needed if the owner/resident is dead (from Angel - "City Of", "Lonely Hearts").  Once an invitation has been extended, it cannot be taken back, except through the use of warding spells (BtVS - "Passion").  Vampires are able to enter another vampire's lair without an invitation (Angel - "Somnambulist").  They are also allowed entry into the residences of demons without being invited (Angel - "Lonely Hearts", "Sense & Sensitivity").  Vampires are free to enter public buildings like schools, hospitals, hotels, office buildings, etc. without an invitation.

Vampires have no problem entering a church, but touching actual consecrated eaVrth causes them great suffering.  They do fear the cross, but they can touch one if they can handle the pain.

Vampires can recover from almost any injury, they just need sufficient time.

Ways to kill a vampire:

     1. Stake through the heart

     2. Direct sunlight

     3. Fire (Buffy-Welcome to the Hellmouth, Never Kill A Boy On The First Date)

     4. Decapitiation (Buffy-Becoming pt. 2; Angel-Somnambulist)

Ways to injure/damage a vampire:

     1. Crosses

     2. Holy water

     3. Garlic (Buffy-Passion)

     4. Bullets (Angel-Expecting)



Please send additions and/or corrections to cleo@archaeologist.com.