Pearl Jam recently released their fifth album, "Yield," to critical acclaim of their musical integrity and maturing sound. The first CD single, "Given to Fly," backed w/ "Pilate," was released Jan. 6. A tour began Feb. 20 in Maui, Australia and New Zealand. Tickets are being made available to fan club members before the general public. E-mail the fan club for info. If you do attend a Pearl Jam show, know that the musicians not only allow, but encourage you to record the show for your own purposes. Eddie is a longtime bootlegger of his own favorite bands. They have joked that there are so many bootlegs out there, Pearl Jam could release a live album without even performing again. "What are they gonna do? Sue us?" But they do demand no videotaping. Stay tuned for more info.


[Funny picture]

Q. How many members of Pearl Jam does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. Change? We're not going to change for anybody! Got it?


But enough fun and games. Pearl Jam is the real deal. Eddie Vedder's voice does things to me ...
I first saw Pearl Jam in 1994, when I won a contest for the chance to buy tickets to the Detroit show, at the State Theatre. I already had both of their albums at the time, but it had taken me a little while to warm up to PJ. But I kept hearing them on the radio, and seeing that affecting video for "Jeremy" on MTV. Finally, Eddie's sultry mumble-grumble baritone and socially aware, personal lyrics won me over, totally. Through a succession of drummers, their battles with Ticketmaster and Mike McCready's alcohol troubles, they keep on Jamming.

Read what the Boston Globe's Steve Morse had to say about a strangely happy Pearl Jam.

 


Home | Back to music page