Musical Notes ...

Music has always a big part of my life, and although I love many types (pretty much anything but rap), I naturally gravitate toward rock 'n' roll. This is a short list of some artists that have meant something to me.

My stuff:


Other people's stuff:

[small pic of ani] Ani Defranco
is a righteous babe.
One album, "Little Plastic Castles," put her on pop radio playlists.
Her last live recording, "Living in Clip," is a butt-kicking double-set.
This is just one site dedicated to her.

Ani appeared on the Fox TV show "King of the Hill."
Read the logline, with cast notes, from Fox.

  • I lost one good link to The Doors, but there is a Webring on them, and here is one way in. By the way, read "No One Here Gets Out Alive." That's what got me hooked.

  • We are Devo.

  • Poster Children, a punk band from Champaign, Ill., whose latest CD ("RTFM") includes cool interactive features, and whose Webmistress, Roseanne Marshack, codes with SimpleText (like me!).

  • Michelle Shocked acted the petulant artiste when I saw her, but she writes good songs. There is an unofficial website with lots of stuff on Michelle, Graffiti Limbo.

  • The Monkees: OK, I was young and they were cute, but they still had the backing of professional writers and studio musicians. You'll still get a laugh out of Kymberlee Ricke's misheard Monkee's lyrics.

  • Crash Test Dummies are from Winnipeg and the only rock band I know of with a bass singer (Brad Roberts).

  • Tool are depressing, but they're the real deal. I try not to listen to closely to the lyrics, 'cuz I really don't want to know. Strangely enuff, my boss is the cousin of their drummer. You'd laugh if you knew my boss ...

    Michael Penn writes literary songs
    with catchy, Beatlesque swing.
    Five years after the release of his
    second album, Penn turned out "Resigned"
    in 1997. The CD has fun interactive features
    and links to his official home page.
    And yes, he is the older brother of
    those two actors ...
    More info on the Sony site.


    A few more links


    Nic's Abode