Mark Sandman, 1952-1999

The sultry baritone noir poet/singer/bassist of Morphine died while performing in Italy July 3.
His work is worth knowing.

Photo taken in Cambridge, shortly before Mark's death

Friends and fans are mourning the loss of Mark Sandman -- poet, sultry singer/songwriter, bass player and artist. Mark died July 3, 1999, doing what he loved best, performing with Morphine bandmates Dana Colley and Billy Conway, in Italy. They had just started a tour and planned to release two albums in the next year. The cause of death was ruled heart attack. He was 46. He was brought home to his parents and a private funeral was held. His bandmates and friends honored him with a musical memorial celebration of his life in Cambridge, Mass., July 25th.

In lieu of flowers or other tributes, the family requests contributions be made to the Mark Sandman Music Education Fund. Donation will benefit music education programs in Cambridge, Mass., public schools. Contributions should be mailed to:

Mark Sandman Music Education Fund
PO Box 382085
Cambridge, MA 02238-9998
USA

see pics I took of the memorial concert


Morphine photo gallery

Morphine is a "low rock" trio from Cambridge, Mass. They're sultry, jazzy, sexy and intelligent. Plus, they can really wail for three guys with a limited palette: two-string slide bass, saxophone and drums. Their newest record, a live one called "Bootleg: Detroit," was recorded at St. Andrew's Hall in Detroit, Mich., in 1994 -- a show I have forever after regretted missing. The record is tentatively due out in October. Another album was in the mixing stages when Mark died.

My reviews originally written for The Oakland Press, appeared in slightly edited forms from those you see here.

A Boston Globe article by Steve Morse

A Scripps Howard article by Michael Mehle

See what music the band members listen to when they're in the mood.

Morphine albums


Good Morphine sites to browse:

Official Morphine page

Ryko page

Unofficial Morphine site

The unofficial Morphine Page

unofficial NAPA Morphine page


Nic's Abode | Back to music links