TITLE: Slaveboy 

AUTHOR: PEJA

FANDOM: THE SENTINEL, so far

RATING: Probably NC-17.

FEEDBACK: Hey, it's a given on this one...

EMAIL: daltonavon@yahoo.com

WEBSITE: https://www.squidge.org/~peja/

SUMMARY: Jim takes a slave

DISCLAIMERS: Hey these guys are mine...I'm just borrowing the names...the descriptions...the love

 

SLAVEBOY

By PEJA

He stumbled. Fell, skinning up his knees. Blood trickled down his legs. He pushed back up to his feet His ankle screamed against the burden of weight on damaged tissue.

Don't think about it. Run.

He managed a step forward, won another fall as his prize, gained his feet again and hobbled fast as his injured leg would let him.

Lungs burning, he gulped for air. His own rasping gasps were loud, deadly loud, in his ears and still he pushed himself to run. To escape.

Behind him, the sound of a horse in pursuit fired his panic. He pushed himself harder. Pushed and knew it was not enough.

The tracker was good. Too good. Getting close. Then backing off, only to close in again.

Playing with him.

A cat and mouse game slowly driving him out of his mind.

Run.

The word was all that his exhausted mind could hold onto.

Run

A broken limb seemed to reach up and bring him down. And this time there was no getting up. Nothing left of hope.

Death stared down at him with the bluest eyes Blair had ever seen.

Imagine that. Death rides an Arabian.

He curled into a ball, the last strand of his sanity succumbing to hysteria.

~~*~~

Heaving a grunt of grim satisfaction, the tracker dismounted. Quick strides put a finish to the distance between him and the downed man. Bending over the giggling captive, he gathered him up and held him to his chest like a babe.

"Hush, little one," he crooned, taming the man the same way held tamed his horse to his touch. "It's all right. No more worries. Shush."

His soft spoken words had the desired effect. Staring up at him through a tangle of wild chestnut hair, the slave lay in his arms, not fighting in the slightest. Not begging for mercy. Suddenly way too silent.

"Good," he said. "That's a good boy."

Shifting the captive in one arm, the tracker smoothed tangles out of a too-lean face and frowned. "That's bad," he murmured, gingerly fingering a bleeding cut over clear blue eyes. His quick glance counted out several more cuts and scrapes. "You were careless with yourself," Jim reprimanded the silent man. "I'll need to clean those before you get them infected.

He settled on the ground gracefully with the other man still in his arms.

Cradling his burden against his chest, Jim managed to free a canteen and wet a cloth then gently cleaned out the cuts. A quick application of antiseptic finished the task. Through it all, the injured man remained silently motionless.

"You're a good boy," Jim murmured, smoothing his hand over the dark hair. A sharp prick brought another frown. The tangles were full of brambles and twigs.

"Let me get those out for you." Jim murmured and carefully plucked the stubborn prickly burrs from the silken strands. The slave endured it without a sound. Without flinching.

This one was a real prize. Cleaned up the young man would bring a good price.

It had been a long time since he'd been able to afford the luxuries of town.

~~*~~

The young man lie curled up on his side with his legs pulled tight against his chest. The swollen ankle seemed almost to have taken on a pulse of it's own.

Jim could see the blood pulsating under the near translucent skin. It was the kind of injury that should have to man writhing in pain.

But the slave just lie there, staring from vacant eyes at something only he could see.

Stifling an impatient curse, Jim sluiced his coffee on the ground and strode over to the other man. "Get up."

The captive didn't so much as blink.

"I said get on your feet, slave."

To no avail.

His patience at an end, Jim wrenched the limp man onto his feet and watched as the slave promptly puddled at his feet. It was as if the man's soul had fled, leaving a bundle of flesh and bones behind.

Jim hunched down beside his slave and waved a hand before his eyes. The stare remained unfocused. Jim made a gesture to strike him in the face. No reaction. He did slap him. his head swung away, then flopped back lifelessly.

"Just my luck," Jim muttered, drawing his dagger and lifting it above the slave's heart. "I'm sorry, beauty. I can’t afford to keep an insane man in food."

The blade glittered as it plummeted towards the unprotected chest.

At the last second, Jim's unerring aim veered away, ripping open the earth instead of living flesh. With his breath heaving in his chest, he stared at the catatonic slave. "I can’t," he groaned, pulling the slave into his arms. "I can’t kill you like that."

He stood, the limp man dangling in his arms and moved them both to his bed roll. Settling Blair on the blankets, he lie down and gathering the other man to him, he covered them both and slipped into a warrior's sleep.

CHAPTER TWO

Jim woke to find himself with an armful of wildcat.

Trapped in night terror, the young slave's arms slashed the air, striking Jim painfully in the face and chest. Legs pumped like pistons, taking care of the rest of his body.

Reacting with all his strength, Jim rolled the dreaming man under him and wrapped himself around the body turned deadly.

Screams mutilated the silence, adding sound to the assault on Jim's battered body.

Jim pinned the man's arms over his head with one hand locked around fine boned wrists. With his other, he slowly caressed the man's face. "Shush, beauty. You are safe now. Don't take on so, my beauty. No one is going to hurt you." he murmured in that same gentling voice he'd used before, repeating the words over and again until the screams quieted, the thrashing stilled.

Blue eyes opened. Stared vaguely into Jim's own.

"Are you with me, beauty?" Jim asked with a tempered smile.

The eyes blinked. Once.

"Yes, you are, aren't you?"

Another blink, followed by absolute, airless silence.

Jim released the man's hands. The slave lie beneath him unmoving. Hardly breathing. Staring from eyes that flickered in and out of focus.

"Your name, beauty?" Jim said softly, grasping for something...anything...that would drag the smaller man out of his self-imposed fog. "Tell me you name."

His mouth opened, closed, opened and one word whispered, "Blair."

"Good boy," Jim smiled. "You're gonna stay with me now, right? No more fading out, understand?"

"My village....?"

"Burned to the ground. The raiders, they left nothing behind."

"You killed them." Blair choked, a single tear sliding slowly down into his tangled hair.

"Not me," Jim denied. "I came upon the slaughter quite by accident. Stumbled over your tracks as I was leaving the scene."

Blair's eyes closed, hugging his anguish inside.

"Blair?" Jim said. "Beauty, don't you fade out on me? Do you hear me, Blair? You stay with me."

Blair did not respond.

He was gone again

"Blair?" Jim snapped.

Nothing.

"Dammit, Blair, don't do this."

Blair's breathing slowed, taking him deeper into himself.

Jim scrambled to his feet, dragging the semi-cognizant man with him. His hand slashed the air, striking Blair hard across the face. "You come out of this." Jim shook the man in his arms, snapping his head back and forth. "Don't make me have to kill you, beauty," Jim begged. "Don't make me."

Hands fluttered against Jim's chest.

"Stop...." the word was a mere breath.

Laughing his relief, Jim hugged the squirming man to his chest. "Don't you scare me like that again," he murmured into chestnut curls. "Do you hear me? Don't you ever scare me like that again."

Blair's head moved in a shaky nod.

"You need to sleep now," Jim told him, settling him back down on the bedroll.

Blair met his eyes once more. "My family...?"

"I don't know." Jim murmured, pulling the other man into his arms. "I got there after the fact."

"There was no one?"

Jim hesitated. "Only the dead."

"I'm alone."

Jim's hand moved over the trembling man's back, offering his comfort. "You are safe now."

Blair remained silent for a long moment, before he murmured, "Let me go."

Jim grimaced. "No."

"Why? What gives you....."

"I said no."

Jim felt damp tears on his shirt, absorbed the small shudders rolling off the smaller man like waves. "It's all right, beauty. I've got you now."

"But...."

"I'll take care of it." Jim snapped. "Now sleep, slave. We've got a long way to go tomorrow."

He adjusted the blankets over them again, holding Blair as he wept.

It was a long time before either man slept again

CHAPTER THREE

Painful prodding woke Jim the second time round. The first thing he saw when his eyes snapped open was a leering hairy face peering down on him.

"Poke me again," he said, pushing himself up. "And I'll tug your insides out so you can play with them."

"Considering we've kind of got you surrounded," the interloper said, waving his hand to draw Jim's attention to the other men standing around. "Those are mighty big words."

A soft whimper told Jim that Blair had awakened. It also let him know that the young man was more than a little terrified. He figured he knew the reason why. He also figured it would take a small miracle to get out of this without some damn ugly coming down

Nuzzling Blair's neck, Jim pulled the blankets up over Blair's head completely. "Stay under cover until I say different." He slipped a small revolver in one trembling beneath the blanket. "And use that if you need to." He rose slowly to his feet. "Okay, so what's the deal here, fellows? My lover and I were hoping for a few days alone."

"Your lover, is it?" the prodder asked, pulling back a foot to give Blair a nudge.

Jim stepped between the raider and his slave. "Remember what I said I'd do to you if I felt your foot again?

If you so much as ripple the air near my lover you'll find out what hell on earth really means."

The man hesitated, sizing up the man who opposed them. "You sure he don't belong to the village up on the hill."

"There's a village up there?" Jim feigned innocence. "Damn, I didn't know. Guess I'm gonna have to move the camp or get permission to be here awhile."

"No need doing that, bud. The village won't be making trouble for you now," another leering man commented.

"Ah, well, that's all right then." Jim squatted down near the dying fire and fed it some twigs, bringing the flames back to life. "Since I'm awake anyway, figure I'll make up some coffee." He grinned, tipping a nod toward the covered lump. "Blair here has a real passion for coffee."

A sound of protest filtered through the blanket.

"I'd ask you to stick around...."

"No, please..." Blair squeaked.

Jim grinned. "But Blair's got a real shy streak. Prefers to be alone with me on these nature hunts....Know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I know." the prodder said, glancing at the concealed figure. "Listen, we're hunting an escaped slave. You seen anyone?"

Jim frowned thoughtfully. "Don't think we have. Blair's been keeping me.." He grinned. "Busy since we arrived. Not much time for looking around. You understand?"

Communal laughter eased the tension that had kept Jim tight as a bow. He rocked back on his heels, grinning up at the mangy group, making a silent count...five in the open..God knows how many scouring the bush for escapees from the village.

"Hey, guys. I got a tell ya, I'm not exactly interested in chatting right now. Not with my hot blooded lover all warmed up and waiting. Know what I mean? How's about you all go about your business and let me get back to mine."

"I'm thinking we should take a look at the pretty under the blankets," Prodder said, taking a step toward Blair.

The click of a hammer being pulled back froze him in space.

"I have been nice about this," Jim warned. "Don't make me turn nasty."

"Let's get out of here, Jake," One of them said. "We don't need nothing of what these guys have. And nobody who carries a gun belongs to the pacifists."

Jim perked up at that. "The villagers were pacifists? You slaughtered people who would not raise a hand to you?"

"Thought you didn't know there was a village near by. So how's it you know it's been attacked?"

"Well damn I don't know. Might be because you said they'd be causing me no trouble...That means, to my way of thinking, they are no longer available to protest."

"Come on, Jake. Quit bothering these two. We got enough."

The prodder, Jake, sneaked a glance toward the beautiful Arabian cropping grass yards away. Another toward the concealed man and finally looked back at the deadly gun aimed directly at his hear. "Yeah, this one is not a pacifist."

"You are so right there....Jake," Jim said, his lip curling n a sneer. "I'm of the Sked Warrior caste."

Jake blanched. "You are Sked?"

Narrowed eyes flicked over the pale man. "I'm a tenth level warrior." Jim said. "You understand? And the man under those blankets is a mage of similar rank." Jim took a step toward his slave. "I suppose if you insist, he might be persuaded to give you a demonstration...?"

"No...." Jake said, back-peddling out of the camp. "We've got business elsewhere. Late in fact. A mage, you say. God..." He turned on his heel and fled into the surrounding forest, his followers close behind.

CHAPTER FOUR

Chuckling, Jim stood to watch the fleeing villains. "Don't know where that line of crap about you being a mage came from but...."

Encouraged by the other man's relaxed laughter, Blair peeped out from under the blankets, blue eyes sparkling with dry humor. "They are gone?"

"Yeah, running like rabbits...." Jim turned suspicious eyes on the other man. "Blair, about that mage crap...."

"Oh damn." Blair ducked back under the blanket.

Jim's scowl grew darker. "Blair, come out from under there."

The blanket shuddered as two hands fisted in it.

"Dammit, Blair...."

Blair lowered the blanket until his eyes showed above the course material.

Jim rested his hands on his hips, glaring down at the pale man. "Did you do it?"

Deny, man. At all cost, deny everything. "Do.....do what?"

"Ah, Jude's blood." Jim roughed his hair. "You did....You are..."

"It's not so bad as you think," Blair whispered, his eyes shielded by lush lashes.

"A mage." Jim glowered. "You are a mage and you dare tell me it's not so bad. Dammit, Blair..." Jim took a step toward the cowering man.

Busted.

Uttering a panicked yelp, Blair bolted out of the blankets and dashed across the clearing, heading for the protection of the forest.

"Stop." Jim roared.

The younger man stumbled, righted himself and added a burst of speed.

Swearing under his breath, Jim took off in pursuit. His longer legs made quick work of the distance between them. One swipe of his long arm hauled the squirming man up against his chest..

"Nonononono," Blair babbled, struggling to break the other man's hold. Jim hardly broke a sweat restraining him.

Tiring quickly, Blair leaned limply in the bigger man's clutches. "I...submit," he whispered, dropping his forehead onto Jim's chest. "I submit."

Jim curled a finger under the smaller man's chin and tipped his head until their eyes, so similar in color, met. "Swear, mage."

If only it were that easy. "I can.... not."

"Yes you can, Blair," Jim assured him. "It's the only way. You must see that."

"Please, don't ask...."

Jim's face hardened. His grasp tightened on thin arms, making Blair wince. "Swear fidelity to me," he demanded. "Swear you will not turn your magic on me."

Blair shook his head. "If I do...."

Jim drew his dagger, pressing the point to Blair's throat. "Worry about if you don't, Blair," he hissed. "I won't have a mage bearing grudges against me."

Staring deep into the warriors' light gaze, Blair nodded. "I will not deliberately use my magic against you, warrior. This much, I swear"

Satisfied, Jim replaced his dagger to the sheath at his waist. "That's all right then."

"Not that I could....." Blair grumbled under his breath.

Jim frowned, easing Blair back just enough to catch the younger man's tormented gaze. "What do you mean."

Breaking eye contact, Blair picked at the threads of Jim's shirt. "I'm not exactly.....skilled in the magicks, master. Just recently came into the curse. My teacher didn't have time to teach me much more than some basic matter manipulation and thought transference. Now..." He shrugged.

"What are you saying?" Jim shoved him back to arm's length. "Are you telling me I've got a mage who can't do proper magic on my hands. You're spells? They could go haywire and...."

"And rebound on me.... and anyone near me." Blair finished.

"I can not believe this."

Blair shuddered. "Master, I know the danger I represent, but...." He lifted shimmering eyes to Jim's worried gaze. "Please, I want to live."

Jim shook his head. "Maybe if you just don't try casting any spells....?"

"It doesn't work that way, master."

"Why the hell not?" Jim rasped. "If you don't use the magic..."

"It will fester inside me," Blair interrupted. "Magic sours if you don't expel it. If I keep it inside me, I will become tainted from my soul out. I will become a black mage."

"This is bad." Jim heaved a heavy sigh, moving away. "Okay, I'll just have to get you sold as quickly as possible."

Sold? Oh gods, no. "You are going to ....sell me?"

Jim cast a quick glance over his shoulder. "Well, what did you think? I need money, Blair. You are the only thing of value I have to sell other than my horse. Was the whole reason I chased you down."

Other than his horse. The words smacked Blair in the face, ramming home just how little he mattered to the other man. As if that should surprise him. So why did it?

"But, I thought...."

"Ah, come on, chief. You don't want to hook yourself to an out of pocket warrior anyway. I'll find you a good master."

"Yes, master." Blair trudged across the clearing, kneeling to bundle up the bed rolls. Pushing shakily to his feet as if something had broken inside, he headed for the hobbled horse.

"Blair...." Jim made a grab for him, but Blair side-stepped, dodging him.

He laid the bedding down and heaved the heavy saddle onto the silky black Arabian's back. Knowing hands quickly cinched the saddle and tied the bed rolls behind it.

Moving slowly, Blair retraced his steps, gathering up the rest of the supplies and bundling them into a huge leather bag Jim had left near the fire the night before.

"Blair, listen..."

"There is a....a slavemart two days ride to the south," Blair whispered. "I will guide you."

With visions of the humiliation he would face on the block raging through his mind, Blair headed back toward the horse that outranked him.

"Blair..."

"We should get going. It's a rough trail. Should be moving while I'm still fresh enough to put in some good miles."

"Blair...."

"Unless there is something you require before we go?"

"No. Nothing."

Nodding, Blair tied the last bundle to the saddle, then taking the thick rope that hung there, twisted it into a loop and draped it loosely over his neck. He carried the other end to Jim.

"Why?" Jim asked, staring at the rope in his hand.

"I...swore allegiance to you, master," Blair said softly. "I want to keep my faith with you, but I am scared. I don't trust myself not to....run."

Jim reached out to cup Blair's face.

Blair jerked out of the touch, reacting as if it had been a slap instead of a gentle caress. "Please....Don't touch me."

CHAPTER FIVE

Blair's feet throbbed, his entire body throbbed. And still he kept moving. Kept trying to outdistance the heartache that threatened to suck the life out of him.

This morning maybe he would have asked his master to give him a moment's rest, but not now. Not knowing that Jim would have little concern for his needs. Not knowing that Jim considered him of less value than the horse he rode.

The memory of that moment broke his concentration and he stumbled, pulling the rope around his neck tight enough to cut off his breathing.

"Blair, are you all right?" Jim asked from his perch on the dancing Arabian.

Gasping for breath, Blair gave the noose around his neck a tug. His fingers slipped on blood slick hemp. He tugged again, loosening the death grip enough to pull a ragged breath into burning lungs.

"Answer me, Blair. Are you all right?"

Rage flickered in his blue eyes as he glanced up at the man who owned him. "I...am... fine."

Jim frowned. "You don't look fine. And you sure as hell don't sound fine. What's going on with you, slave?"

The pent-up magic coiled inside Blair, changing, darkening, soiling his soul.

He snorted. "I'm keeping faith to the vow you forced on me," he said, taking another step on the journey that would end with him naked and fouled by any prospective master who had a mind to sample his wares.

"Blair, stop," Jim said. "Do you hear me? You need to stop."

Blair cast an angry glare over his shoulder. "Whatever makes you think that?"

"You're limping."

"Oh." Blair kept up his deadly pace. "I never noticed."

"Jude's blood, Blair, stop walking."

Blair ignored him, forcing each step on his protesting body.

Dropping the rope, Jim leapt from his horse and snatched Blair off his feet. His sweeping gaze widened, taking inventory of the exhausted features. The trembling body. The bloody noose around a hamburger raw neck.

"What are you doing to yourself?" Jim demanded, easing the younger man down onto the ground. "My god, why didn't you tell me you were tired? Hurt?"

Blair stared back at him with dead eyes

"Blair, answer me."

The magic curled restlessly, dangerously.

Blair's generous lips curled into a contemptuous sneer.

"What the hell is going on with you?" Jim demanded, reaching for the redden rope.

A demon light flared in Blair's eyes and he flung himself away. "Do....not.... touch...me." he rasped in a deepened voice.

Jim fell back on his heels. "What in god's name....?"

Dark shadows swirled in Blair's eyes. "We have a long ways to go yet today if we are to reach the mart tomorrow."

"Blair, what's happening to you?"

The young slave hurled another mocking glance, keeping his silence.

Insight broke over Jim's tight features. "My god, the magic. You're repressing it, aren't you?"

Blair chuckled. "Whatever would make you think that...." A sneer curved his lips. "...Mas-s-s-ter," he drawled the last word sarcastically.

"Oh, God, Blair. Why? You know what it's doing to you? You can't let it corrupt you. Do you hear me, release it."

"I can not." Blair snarled. "I am bound by the vow."

Jim wrenched him up, getting in his face. "I release you from the vow. Use your abilities to manipulate matter to heal your neck.

A dark red flame flickered in blue eyes. His lips turned in a sardonic smile. "Big mistake."

Jim watched in horror as the abrasions opened, spewing a tide of red down Blair's chest. Blair's head fell back on his neck and his eyes rolled back in his head.

"Blair...." Jim shook the limp man. "Blair, Oh gods, don't...."

Dark magic flamed in Blair's eyes and he rose to his feet, his head lolling on the deeply gashed neck. "Don't Blair...." he chanted in a singsong voice. "Don't Blair...Don't...." The grisly wound knitted itself as suddenly as it had torn open. "Don't damage your property?" he stormed. "Don't devalue your slave this close to the mart?"

Blair's hand shot out toward Jim, curling his glowing fingers. Jim screamed as a band of pure evil tightened around his chest, squeezing he life out of him.

"I could kill you....master," Blair snarled, curling his hand a bit tighter. "I could crush your fragile body with mere a thought.

"Blair..."

"Blair...Blair..." Blair's hand squeezed shut for a mere second. "Shut Up."

Jim screamed, curling into the dust as the light faded before his eyes.

CHAPTER SIX

"Playing possum, Mas-s-s-ter?"

Jim cringed away from the hissing whisper. The dark magic still controlled his new slave. Danger coiled around him like a living thing.

"Look at me," Blair roared.

Jim squeezed his eyes tighter.

A finger burned against the quivering lashes. "Open your eyes before I peel the lids back so you can never shut me out again.

Horror tripped along Jim's spine and he opened his eyes.

Blair's face hovered inches away, his head tilted slightly to the side. A slow smile curved the dark mage's lips and he tilted his head to the other side. "Good mas-s-ster. Such a good Mas-s-ster."

Blair leaned back on his haunches and with a wave of his hand, Jim found himself suddenly propelled into the air, suspended by the force of Blair's will.

Electric agony rippled through his muscles, making him writhe. "Why...." Jim gasped. "Why are you doing this?"

Blair's mocking laughter shook the air. "You warrior scum are so alike. Carry a big gun and don't think twice as you blast bloody holes in a person's flesh. Take an innocent villager to slave simply because he's unfortunate enough to belong to a village that falls under a warlord's attention, but let a little mage tickle you with true power and you whimper like a newborn babe." Blair's eyes glowed red beneath the icy blue. "What gives you the right?"

"Blair..."

A powerful force shook Jim, wrenching his head back and forth on this neck until he feared it would snap. And then it was over. He spun slowly into the gentle sway of before.

"Blair doesn't live here anymore," the magic inside Blair taunted. "Poor weak Blair couldn't contain the power. The darkness has burnt him out and left what you see before you, Warrior."

"I don't believe you." Jim rasped. "Blair, you are still in there. I know you are. I know you wouldn't do this to me if you weren't....."

Once more the magic scorched Jim's body, making him scream out in agony.

"Give me what I want," the darkness whispered in his head. "Give me what I want."

"Wh-at?" Jim gasped. "What do you want from me? I'll give you anything. Just give Blair back his innocence."

"An-n-nythi-i-i-n-ng?" A hidden warning rang through that one hissed word.

"To heal you, Blair, yes."

Evil curved the young mage's lips. "There is....a way."

Jim nodded. "Anything."

The hollow, mocking laugh echoed around Jim's ears.

"Tell him."

Confusion traced a frown over Jim's high brow. "I don't understand."

"Tell him you want him back," the words lashed Jim. "Tell him you want to keep him with you."

"That's it?" Jim said, shocked. "That's all it takes to return you to normal?"

The dark mage paced around Jim's swaying body, trailing white hot fingers over his chest, his back, and round to his chest again. Glowing eyes lifted to Jim's. "Tell him you won't sell him on the block."

Jim blanched. "Is that what this is all about?" he said harshly. "You're doing this because I'm selling you?"

Blair's eyes narrowed. His hand raised, cupping a flame in his palm. A slow smile curled his lips.

"No," Jim whispered seeing the intent in his tormentor’s crystalline gaze. "Don't..."

Blair whipped the ball of fire at him. The flame splashed over him, engulfing him totally and Jim screamed the torment of the damned.

Blair's dark laughter rang above the roar of the flames and keening screams. Seconds, or an eternity later the liquid fire died away and Jim's mind re-engaged.

Only to discover that he was lying naked on the ground. Naked and immobile.

"Do you know what they do to the slaves on the block, sla-a-a-ver?" Blair's voice hissed in his ear, his breath like tiny stinging pellets on traumatized skin. "Do you know what you are delivering the young one to?"

"Stop talking like you aren't him, Blair. Stop this now."

"You are a bad slave, sla-a-a-ver. Dis-s-s-obediant. You must be......" A chain link whip appeared in Blair's hand. "...disciplined."

Jim's body slammed into a nearby tree. The rough bark scraped, bite, tore into his skin and blood flowed freely from a gash over his eye. "Blair, don't do this."

Blair chuckled. "Poor Mas-s-ster." He caressed Jim's cheek with the linked whip.

Jim jerked away, closing his eyes against the reality that threatened his sanity.

"Are you afraid?" Blair asked in a seductive whisper.

"Beauty, please...."

"He's afraid."

Jim turned to stare into the arrogant gaze so close, so familiar...so alien.

"He would have been devoted to you. More fool that he is."

The whip whistled through the air, slicing into Jim's back. He bucked against the cutting blows, biting down hard on his lips to contain the scream that clamored for escape.

"On the block," the whisper was back in his ear, "Blair will resist. He will feel the bite you just felt. It won't bend him. He won't submit, because I won't let him. How long will he survive the whip, Mas-s-s-ter?"

Jim turned his face away, shuddering.

Something wet, slightly rough slid over Jim's back. A soft moan of pure pleasure tickled his ears. Blair was cleaning up his bloody back....with his tongue. Drinking his blood.

The tiny lapping sucks turned to quick nips, soothing licks and the whip hit the ground.

"They will not kill him with the whip." The taunting voice whispered. "When he does not submit to the whip, they have other methods." Fingers tickled down Jim's sides, raising goosebumps. "Do you know what they do to slaves who are still rebellious?"

"I'm sure your going to show me." Jim ground out.

Jim bounced off the ground, groaning at the jarring impact. Blair, his lush lips stained with blood, stalked him, shedding one bit of of his clothes with each step. Jim's eyes widened with sudden knowledge and he struggled against the energy forces that restrained him.

"Do you know how many new slaves die before they reach the block?" Blair asked, kneeling down between Jim's spread thighes. "Do you know how most of them die?"

"Please....."

"Oh look, Mas-s-s-ter gets turned on when he's scared." That slow smile curved Blair's lips and he raked long-nailed fingers up Jim's hard flesh. "Should I make you bleed...here?"

"Blair, you don't want to do this."

Blair tilted his head. "Don't I?" The dark chuckle rippled around them. "Yeah, I do."

Eyes burning into Jim's, Blair ducked his ead and licked a long swipe along the underside of Jim's cock. Jim arched under the torturous attention, wanting...not wanting.... Needing...and hating himself for that very need.

"Now, Blair...He will fight against his rape," Blair said, tonguing the tiny slit in Jim's cock. "Virgins always do, don't they? And when he resists they will delight in making it all the rougher on him. If he fights to hard, they will mark him as fodder for their perversions. He will die."

Jim stared into the dark mage's eyes "Submit to them, Blair," he whispered. "I can't keep you. Much as I might want to, I can't. I need the money you will bring."

Rage flamed in Blair's eyes. His hand lashed out raking deep gashes across Jim's cheek. A vicious punch landed in Jim's stomach, curling him into a tight whimpering ball.

Blair's eyes flickered and Jim was thrust back onto the ground. "Resist me, mas-s-ter."

Jim didn't need a second request. He squirmed under the raging mage, trying to slip free of the smaller man. Harsh, long nailed fingers grasped his thighs, pulling him back, raising bloody welts.

Blair twisted Jim's legs up and back against his heaving chest, exposing him completely.

"No, don't..." Jim gasped scrambling for a handhold that would free him and finding none. He twisted away from the hard cock that pressed for admittance.

Blair slapped him hard, leaving him dazed and confused.

When he came back to himself, he was on his hands and knees, draped over a sharp cornered boulder.

"Back with me, Mas-s-s-ter?"

"Blair....."

"Yeah, you are." Blair captured Jim's thighs, spreading them wide. A hard cock thrust once, burying dry, deep inside the bigger man.

Jim screamed, instinctively scrambling to escape, but the mage restricted his movements with magic and the strength of the demons.

Blair's hand slammed down across Jim's ass, socking him into stillness. "This can be as hard or as easy as you make it, mas-s-ster."

Blair pulled back and thrust. Jim felt himself tearing inside. Felt his blood slicking up the tight passage.

Blair pumped harder, finding a rhythm.

Jim whimpered, his insides burning from abuse. His piteous cries fired Blair's passion. He thrust harder, faster and finally, barked his pleasure as his seed filled the bigger man's semi-conscious body.

Blair slumped over the other man, spiraling back down from the heights...and into the horror of what he had done.

Flinging himself away from his victim, Blair gathered his clothes and quickly redressed. A quick glance at Jim confirmed that the bigger man was still alive. Was struggling with his own clothes.

Blair collapsed against the same tree he'd held Jim captive, scraping his forehead on the unforgiving bark.

A rough hand whipped him around and he stared into the raging blue eyes of his master.

"I'm going to kill you, Blair."

Blair's gaze found the knife suspended over his chest.

And he smiled. "Do you really think I care."

CHAPTER SEVEN

"Do you really think I care?" The words rang between the two men.

Jim stabbed the knife into the tree and dragged Blair off his knees. "You bastard," he raged, his face bright red. A vicious fist doubled Blair over. Blair slumped down his knees, wheezing for a breath.

"Get up, you fuck," Jim screamed, dragging Blair back to his feet and slamming a fist into his face.

Blair reeled under the assault, sprawling back in the dirt. Drawing a deep breath, he shoved back to his feet and faced his furious master.

And Jim slammed another fist into the side of his head.

Black stars exploded in front of his eyes and Blair went down with a whimper, his hair hanging down to hide his broken face. Moments later, he stumbled back to his feet.

"Fight back, damn you." Jim laid him out again. "Fight back."

Blair shoved to his feet, shaking his head and went down hard.

Again and again the scene played out until finally Jim's rage began to fade. His eyes filled with horror as he saw for the first time the bloodied mess that was the smaller man. Saw the impossibility of the man getting up once more. And still Blair rose up for more.

Unable to stem his reaction, Jim swung again. Blair seemed almost to float back down to the ground. His arms and legs floundered for a hold, struggling to regain his feet.

"Stay down," Jim whispered. "Jude's blood, man. Stay down."

Blair gained his knees, swayed and caught his balance and staggered to his feet.

"Blair will resist," the dark mage's words echoed in Jim's mind. "He will feel the bite you just felt. It won't bend him. He won't submit, because I won't let him. How long will he survive the whip, Mas-s-s-ter?"

And suddenly Jim knew.

"No...." he whispered, staring at the blood soaked creature he had brutalized. "Blair, no..."

Broken lips curved into a whimsical smile. "You saved... my life, master. Let me....save...." A bubble of blood erupted from between his lips and Blair's eyes rolled back in his head.

Jim caught him as his slid to the ground. "Blair....?" he choked, brushing wild tangles back from the bloodied features. Using his sleeve, Jim wiped the blood away. Another tide bubbled up, flowing freely from pale lips.

"Blair...Do you hear me? Don't you dare die. I know you can hear me. I know you.....Blair, you are my slave. You hear me? I command you to live. Live, damn you. I demand it."

Blue eyes flickered, then cracked open. A wrenching cough spewed blood over them both. And Jim smiled.

"You better obey me, slave." he threatened, glaring down into dim eyes. "I saw what the darkness could do. I saw you sever your throat until your neck swung in the breeze....And then I saw you heal it. Do it now. Heal yourself. Do you hear me, Blair?"

Blair's lids drooped over darkening eyes. Jim cold hear the other man's heart slowing, tripping over missed beats.

"Blair? Slave, heal yourself. Now. Do it now."

Dark lashes quivered, raised, revealing clouded blue eyes. "Let me go, master."

Jim gave him a little shake. "You are my slave. Do as I command. Heal yourself. Do you hear me, Blair. Do not die on me now. I forbid it."

Blair's eyes closed and a soft glow rose from his body. The blood seemed to flow backward, replenishing itself. A tear slid slowly from under his lashes and his breathing slowly, painfully healed itself.

CHAPTER EIGHT

Jim watched his silent slave across the flickering campfire. The younger man hadn't spoken a single word since regaining consciousness. Hadn't looked up once.

Enough was enough.

"Blair."

The pale slave tilted his head slightly, the only sign he had heard.

"Blair."

Blair's head bowed lower. "Yes, master."

"Are you releasing the magic?"

Blair lifted a trembling hand, uncurled a tightly balled fist and held it out before him, revealing a tiny ball of glowing flame. He held out his other hand and the flame darted into the second palm. Blair blinked and the ball of fire lanced back. Blair's hand fisted over the physical display of magic. His hands dropped lifelessly back into his lap.

"You are angry with me. Why?"

Blair's gaunt frame shuddered.

"Blair, answer me."

Lush lashes twitched. "No, master. I am not angry."

"Disappointed then?"

"I....No, master."

Jim shifted forward, reaching for his cup. He took a long drink of the bitter brew, considering his slave over the rim. "Are you going to brood like this the entire night?"

Blair shrugged. "I'm tired, master."

Exasperated, Jim set the cup down. "Then why in the hell haven't you gotten some rest?"

Blair cringed away from the anger. "You have not released me from the evening duties, master," he whispered.

"I haven't..." Jim trapped the frustrated words behind thin pressed lips. "Go to sleep, for Christ’s sake."

Nodding, Blair curled down into the dirt and closed his eyes. A few moments later the rolled into a tight ball, shivering. His arms wrapped around his waist as if he could contain his body warmth in that way.

Seeing his condition, Jim tossed a couple branches on the fire then retrieved the bedroll and spread it out.

"Blair, get over here. You are freezing."

Blair tucked more tightly into himself. "I'm fine here, master."

Past patience, Jim moved swiftly to scoop up his stubborn companion. Blair uncoiled, trying to fend off the arms that held him captive.

"Behave, brat," Jim snapped, settling the protesting man onto the soft furs.

Blair stilled instantly and Jim flopped down beside him, flipping a warm blanket over them both. "Now, that's better, isn't it?"

Blair rolled to the far edge of the bedroll, holding himself rigidly away from the man who owned him.

"This is ridiculous," Jim snapped, bundling the smaller man into his arms and dragging him back against his chest. "The idea is to share our warmth, Blair." He smoothed his hands over the smaller man's arms.

'"You need to rest.."

Blair's body slowly lost tension, melting against him.

Smiling, Jim nuzzled the junction between Blair's neck and shoulder. The sweet herbal scent clinging to the younger man's skin filled him with a feeling of peace.....of contentment.

If only....

"Master," Blair whispered. "I...."

Jim took small nips from Blair's neck and shoulders, making him squirm. "What, Beauty?" His tongue darted out to taste the rich, sweet flesh.

"About today..."

"Forget it, chief....."

"I....master, please... I...forgive me. ....I...."

Jim rolled Blair around in his arms, staring into distraught blue eyes. "I already have, beauty. Do you hear me? I already have forgiven you." His lips claimed a probing kiss. "It wasn't you."

Blair shook his head. "You shouldn't have released me from my vow, master. You were protected by my word until...."

"I know, Beauty. Just forget it ever happened. It's over and done."

Tears glazed Blair's eyes. "I...I raped you, master." he rasped. "I... forced myself on..."

Jim silenced him with a finger to his lips. "No, beauty. No. It wasn't you."

"It was...I would have killed you.."

"Not you, Beauty," Jim insisted. "The magic soured your soul. The...thing that... used me was not you. I know that. You must know that too. It was not you."

The tears fell, bathing Blair's cheeks. "You should have let me die. I'm dangerous to you."

"No, little one. No." Jim peppered his trembling love with tiny butterfly kisses. 'You're siphoning off the magic, aren't you? Enough to keep yourself uncorrupted, right?'

Blair nodded, giving a sad little smile through his tears. "I won't knowingly put you in that danger again, master. I swear on my life, I won't."

Jim wiped away Blair's tears and pressed a soft kiss at the corner of his mouth. "You taste so sweet, beauty. So sweet. I want you...."

The color fled Blair's already pale features. "Oh god, no....I...."

"Shush," Jim whispered, smoothing a hand down Blair's chest. "The dark one....When you were the dark one, said you were pure...unused. Is this true?"

Blair turned his head away.

Soft laughter parted Jim's lips. "It is. It is true. I'll be your first.." Jim hooked Blair's chin, drawing the smaller man back to face him. "Will you trust me, beauty?' he asked, nibbling, licking, tasting Blair's icily unresponsive lips.

"Master...I..."

"You're afraid," Jim finished for him. "I know. I understand. Trust me to be gentle with you, little virgin. Let me do this for you. We only have tonight, Beauty, and I...." His hand skimmed under Blair's tunic, finding the lightly furred, rippling belly beneath. "Oh god, Blair. I want you so damn much."

Blair grabbed at Jim's wandering hand, trying to escape. "No, don't."

Jim's hold on him tightened. He leaned heavily on the other man's body. "Don't be afraid, Beauty. Let me..."

"No, please, don't...."

Jim silenced him with a heated kiss, moving his hips against Blair's. "Do you feel that?" he asked, guiding Blair's hand between their bodies. "You do that to me," he groaned.

"No," Blair shok his head, his eyes wide and wild. "No..."

Jim stilled him with firm hands. "Little one....Beauty.....Who do you belong to?"

Blair blanched, new tears filling his eyes.

Jim cupped his lean cheeks. "Who do you belong to? Tell me?"

Blair shook his head.

"Tell me, little one."

Blair swallowed hard. "You," he whispered through his tears. "I belong to you...tonight."

Groaning hungrily, Jim ravished Blair's lips. "Open for me, Beauty," he demanded, his tongue tracing Blair's lush lips. "Let me taste you."

Blair's fingers curled around Jim's arms, pushing him back. "Please....I don't want this. Not knowing you're selling me tomorrow."

Jim scowled. "I will have you, Blair. Don't make me insist."

Blair cringed, lowering his brimming eyes. "Yes, master..."

"Touch me, Beauty," Jim whispered, reclaiming his lover's lips in a gentle, probing kiss. His hands moved under Blair's tunic again, furrowing through the pelt he found there until his questing fingers discovered a small nipple. Rolling the tender bud between thumb and forefinger, Jim deepened his kiss.

Blair arched into Jim's hand, moaning a protest, but whether it was to his body or his master, neither paid attention.

Jim's exploring hand foraged to the second nipple, teasing, tugging. Blair thrust up, his body begging for what his mind rejected.

"Yes, Beauty," Jim cooed into Blair's whimpering mouth. "Turn on for me. Just like that. Turn on for me."

"Jim, oh...."

Chuckling softly, Jim stripped Blair of his tunic and then threw his own shirt aside before stretching back out for that first electric skin to skin touch. A strangled moan escaped Blair's passion-slacked lips.

"You are mine, beauty. All mine." Jim murmured, sliding down Blair's chest, licking, tasting everywhere until his hungry mouth found the pebbled nipple and he settled down to suckle the hardening bit of flesh.

Blair bucked, thrashed under him, his mewling cries of passion filling the darkness. "Jim, oh Jim..." he murmured, cupping his master's head.

"Touch me." Jim guided Blair's hand down his cheek, along the line of his throat and over the wide expanse of his chest.

Blair slid free of Jim's grasp, running his palm over first one then the other hard nipple. "Like this?"

"Ye-e-e-es.....No....Lower, beauty." And this time he didn't need to guide the smaller man's hand. Blair freed Jim's cock with a trembling hand. "Ye-e-e-s. Play with it, my beauty. I want to feel you hand working my....ah, Jesus.....Yes..."

Encouraged by his love's words, Blair squeezed, stroked, caressed. His other hand dove back into Jim's trousers, rolling the tight balls.

Jim suddenly shoved his hands away. "Enough, beauty. Your taking my head off." He grinned, brushing a quick kiss over Blair's passion-blooded lips. "Want in, beauty. Want you to know how wonderful being possessed can be before..." he bit off the hurtful words

Tomorrow would come soon enough.

If only....

His hands made quick work of the closures and he tugged. "Lift your hips, beauty," he urged.

Blair lifted slightly, adding his own help on shoving down his trousers. His cock sprang forth, it's head weeping for attention.

"So beautiful," Jim groaned, kissing the tip. His tongue dipped int the slit, lapping up the essence that was Blair.

Crying out incoherently, Blair's fingers curled in Jim's shorn hair and his hips thrust wildly.

Jim laid a restraining arm over Blair's hips and grinned up at him. "Easy, little one. We have all night." His hand curled

"Jim...Oh god, please....."

Jim licked up the base of Blair's cock. Blair arched, writhing. His hands curled in the furs as he tried to control the passion that burned through him.

"Yes, Blair, it's good, this passion. I want you to enjoy..."

And remember.

God, please don't let him resist the slavers when I have to leave him.

"Over, Beauty." he whispered, sprinkling kisses over Blair's belly.

Blair shook his head. "Want to see you. Want to see who...." he broke off, turning his head to hide a new flood of tears.

Oh god. Blair knew. He knew.

"It's going to be a little harder that way, Beauty," Jim told him.

Blair nodded. "Doesn't matter. Please. Tomorrow....."

Jim silenced him with a kiss. "There is no tomorrow," he whispered. "Only now."

"Only now." Blair's smile could not disguise the anguish, the fear, shining in his eyes. "Make love with me, Jim." He reached between them and stroked Jim's wilting cock back to life. "Make love with me."

His passion stirred back to life, Jim shucked off the rest of his clothes and snagged up some oils from where he'd hidden them under the furs. Sliding Blair's legs up over his shoulders, he kissed a path along one hair covered calf then the other. Blair giggled, his hadns playing where they could reach.

Jim unsnapped the oils and dribbled a stream over Blair's belly ad groin, watching the gleaming liquid creep where it would as Blair sucked in a surprised breath.

"Cold?" Jim asked, swirling his fingers through the puddled oils.

"But nice," Blair purred as Jim's hand trailed down to his cock. Jim wrapped an oil slicked hand around Blair's straining flesh, dragging a rumbling purr from the younger man. Blair's hips pumped into the dragonsblood scented hand. His breath dragged in raggedly as the oils heated to a sharp burning tingle.

Jim's other hand slipped lower, smoothing oil around and into Blair's entrance. Blair tensed as Jim's slicked finger penetrated the tight ring of muscle. Jim cooed soft nonsense words of love and forever, words both men were lies.

Tomorrow was coming.

If only.....

Blair's tears over flowed "Make love to me." He begged as if his life depended on the illusion they were creating.

Maybe it did.

"Blair...."

Blair smiled shakily. "Don't say anything, master. He drew several long breathes, relaxing with each one.

"Make love to me."

Jim leaned in for a hungry kiss, preparing the man below him with the knowledge of an experienced man.

Blair writhed, moving on the fingers inside him. Whimpering as Jim changed the angle toward Blair's prostrate.

Removing his fingers, Jim positioned himself and pressed forward. Blair cried out as Jim's cock passed the tight ring. Sweat popped out on Jim's upper lip. "Are you all right, Beauty?" he asked, smoothing soft circles over Blair's rippling stomach. "Do you want me to stop?"

Hissing in a breath, Blair pressed down on Jim's cock. forcing him farther in. Jim took that as his answer and began to move in small thrusts, pumping deeper and deeper until he rested balls deep against his lover's ass. "So sweet," Jim murmured. "So tight."

"Jim...." Blair purred, moving against Jim. "Don't stop. God, please don't...."

Jim kissed Blair's calf and began to thrust. Passion's fire ignited in both men and together they raced toward the heavens, hands touched where they would. lips tasting. Jim reached out and enveloped Blair's cock in one oiled hand, matching the thrusting rhythm of his hips. Blair's moans rose to ragged, gasping cries, culminating in a long drawn out shout of Jim's name.

His climax sprayed semen on Jim's stomach. The tight clenching of his ass spiraled Jim into his own climax and he thrust deep, spraying his seed into his lover's eager body.

His lover's magically endowed body.

Jim peppered kisses over Blair's legs, lowering them. "Are you all right?"

 

Blair smiled a contented secret smile, cupping his stomach in a glowing hand. "I am perfect, master. More than I can ever say." He traced Jim's cheek. "What you have...given me this night is a gift few can achieve....Even among the mages of the tenth order."

Frowning, Jim searched the strangely content eyes. "I don't understand."

"Don't give it another thought, master." Blair said, running a finger over Jim's temple. The curious frown faded and Jim rolled over the lie at Blair's side, dragging the smaller man into his loose embrace. "...Tired."

Blair traced Jim's brow with a softly glowing hand. "Rest, master." he murmured, running his magically endowed hands over Jim's face.. "Sleep and dream."

Jim drifted into a deep, induced sleep.

Blair continued to touch his lover with gentle hands for several minutes before he rolled Jim over onto his back and tucked him in. Dressing quickly, Blair paused only long enough to caress his belly and smile that secret smile once more.

Moving on silent feet, he gathered food, water and a blanket into a backpack, then giving Jim one more quick look he plunged into the forest and away from the threat of the slave mart.

He had more than himself to protect now. Something more valuable than even his own life.

He wasn't going to let his master's greed destroy what they had created together.

CHAPTER NINE

Jim woke slowly, suspended between the dreams and reality of what had gone on between Blair and himself. Rolling over, he reached out blindly for the smaller man.

And encountered a stone cold bed.

Blue eyes snapped open and he bolted up, searching the campsite for the smaller man. Nothing. He looked around again, searching for a sign of what could have happened.

And realized that the younger man had taken several items with him whereever he had gone.

Blair was on the run again.

Pacing the perimeter, Jim searched for any sign that would point him in the direction that Blair took. A close examination of the terrain finally paid off. He sprinted back to the lonely campsite and gathered up his supplies.

Flinging himself up on his mount the furious warrior set off to recapture his straying slave.

******

A sharp flare burnt through Blair's head, blinding him. Jim knew he was gone. And was pissed major.

Gasping against the harsh agony, Blair slumped down on a tree stump and concentrated on slowing his breathing. After several controlled breaths, Blair relaxed into the pain. He cast out a tendril of white light, sent it back along the path he had taken, back to the beginning of this journey.

Searching the way he had come, he found what he sought. Jim was on his trail. Closing fast.

Blair cradled his stomach in two hands. "He won't find us, little one."

*

With his body locked in his mediations, Blair's spirit followed the furious slaver along the path that led to his body. At one point the rampaging man went off the trail. Blair gently guided him back, nudging Jim along with a growing sense of dread.

*

Jim spurred his mount on, his anger growing as the seconds passed. How could Blair have done this? He'd given his word? Was his word worth nothing? Why...?

"Stupid question, Jim," he muttered under his breath. "I would have done the same faced with the slave mart."

But he is nothing more than a simple peasant. They expect to be....

"What?" Jim argued with the small voice in his head. "Expect to be misused? Abused? To have their homes razed to the ground and have themselves sold to the highest bidder?" his lip curled in self-disgust. "To be fucked by any old pervert with the money to buy them?"

It's the way of the beast.

Jim laughed harshly. "But we're supposed to be better than the animals. Jude's blood, what was I thinking?"

*

Blair's spirit smiled a sad smile. "If only I could trust you." he whispered into Jim's subconscious. "If only I believed you would keep me close."

*

The clearing was an oasis in the desert of his despair.

Jim leapt from his horse and approached the seated figure of his slave. "Blair?"

Blair remained still, unblinking, barely breathing.

"Blair..." Jim took another step forward and was suddenly propelled backwards to land with a termendous thud that jarred his entire body several feet away.

"You may not cross, master," Blair said softly, rising fluidly to his feet.

"You're using your magic against me again?"

Blair tilted his head to the left, smiling a crooked smile. "Not against you, master. It is a protection spell.

As long as you don't try to break through the barrier you will be untouched."

Jim scrambled to his feet and surged forward. The barrier repelled him, sending him farther to land harder.

"Don't do that again, master." Blair advised, tears streaming down his pale cheeks. "I don't want to hurt you."

Jim gained his feet once more. "But you are hurting me, aren't you. You won't let me near you."

Blair shook his head. "I can not."

"Why? have I ever hurt you?"

"You do not want me to answer that, master." Blair said, the energy force around him shimmering, shifting, blurring his image.

"Blair, come out of there." Jim opened his arms. "Let me hold you."

"Let you sell me?" Blair shook his head. "I can not." He shook his head as the shimmering intensified. He took a backward step and was gone, leaving behind only a softly spoken, tear-drenched. "Farewell, master."

Jim stared into the emptiness for a long moment. His knees failed him, buckling and he tipped his head back, screaming the younger man's name to the heavens.

That's it. If you want more in this series, you will have to go to SLAVEBOY 2: A CHILD'S RAGE