TITLE: BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO 5

AUTHOR: PEJA

Email: daltonavon@yahoo.com

FANDOM: The Sentinel/The Invisible Man

PAIRING: Blair Sandburg/Darien Fawkes Blair/Jim Ellison Darien/Bobby Hobbes, implied

RATING: NC-17

SUMMARY: Jim confronts Blair and his lover

DISCLAIMER: Jim and Blair are petfly's. Darien and Bobby belong to the creator of TIM. The story idea belongs to PEJA...ain't I good.

ARCHIVE: Watchmen Of the Great City/Quicksilver Dreams Archive/PEJAs Ravings. Available to sites on request, but only with the author's permission

URL: https://www.squidge.org/~peja/

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Boys will be boys

 

BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO 5

By PEJA

Darien rose up on his elbows, a disapproving frown pinching his dark brow. "Oh, Blair, you didn't?"

"What?" Blair rolled over on his back, covering his eyes with his arm. "Didn't what? Give you the best blow job you've had since....." He sneaked a peek. "Since you threw my cheating ass out on the street? Ah, forget it, I'll get it myself." He punched the remote, clicking off the camera. "Satisfied?"

"I...." Darien slumped down, closing his eyes. "Yeah, I'm satisfied."

Blair dropped his arm and leaned over his lover. "Okay, I remember that tone. What'd I do?"

Darien met his feverish eyes, frowning. "Look, you're sick. You do things when you've got a fever like the one that's got you right now. Things that...." He clamped his teeth in his lower lips, silencing himself.

Blair tapped Darien's teeth, breaking their hold on soft flesh before any damage occurred. "I don't like you tearing up that pouty little mouth of yours, Darrie. Too many things you do with it that please hell out of me." He claimed a tender kiss. "Now tell me what I did to upset you. I thought you wanted..." He waved a lazy hand over his relaxed frame.

"I did...I do..." Darien rushed his words. "God, Blair, I've dreamt of...." His words ran out and his gaze flicked down. "But Blair, I...The videos...I..."

"Yeah, great stuff this time, Darrie. We'll turn a quick profit on this one once we do a couple more stunts."

Darien shook his head. "I don't want to."

Blair swung up to sit yogi fashion staring down at the other man. "You don't want to...what?

"Blair, I mean it," Darien whispered desperately. "Before...well that was before. You were in school. I, well, I was doing bad things, wasn't I? But I have a job now. An important job. I can't afford to be compromised by doing..." His hand waved toward the concealed camera. "I just can't do it. If Bobby found out...."

"That's something I've been meaning to talk to you about, Dare," Blair said. "Just who the hell is this Bobby character? What gives him the right to talk to you the way he...."

Explosive pounding at the door stopped Blair's words before he would voice his jealousy.

He glanced at his lover, raising a curious brow. "Expecting company, are we?"

"No....Yes...maybe, I don't know." Darien scrambled from the bed and crammed himself into his bathrobe. "Oh, God, I smell like sex," he murmured, heading for the door.

"You smell like I sucked your fucking cock, Darrie?" Blair shouted after him.

Darien threw a frustrated glare over his shoulder. "Jesus, Blair, tell the world, why don't ya?."

A contented smile tugged Blair's lips up. He plumped his pillows behind him, leaning back and closing his eyes. "And you sucked mine, thank you very much," He shouted. "Can't ask for a better way to round out a lazy afternoon.."

"Crass, Chief. Very crass."

Blair jerked upright again staring at the one person he never expected to find him here. In bed. With a man.. "Ah....crap. Well, this really...." A wild grin spread over his face. "...Sucks, doesn't it?"

"Hmmm.... Blair." Darien slipped past one very large, very angry man to get inside the room. "There's a cop here to see you."

"See that, lover." Blair glanced down his naked body. "And I'd say he's seeing a good deal more than he thought he would." He turned down the grin just a bit. "Isn't that right, Ellison? Nice, though, aren't I?" He stroked himself from his furred chest to his groin, adjusting his cock suggestively. "Like what ya see, Jim? Better than the video..." The sly grin tugged his generous lips. "..In the flesh, isn't it?"

"Blair, behave." Darien flung himself across the room and jerked the sheet up over Blair's waist. "Blair's running a fever. He's not himself when he's sick." There was a plea for understanding in his eyes. "You know?"

Blair glowered at his lover. "Don't make excuses for me, Darrie. We're not married anymore, are we? You saw to that, didn't ya?" He turned a furious glare on Jim. "What do you want?"

"Get up and get dressed, Blair. I've come to take you home."

Blair sneered at the big cop. "Home? Yeah, sure, whatever." He took Darien's hand and kissed the man's fingers. "But you know, I think I'm already home, Ellison."

"I'm afraid that's not an option, Sandburg." Jim said. "I need you."

Blair snorted. "Yeah, right."

"And the department needs you. You are coming back with me. You have no options on this."

"No?"

"No. You made a commitment when you signed on with me. I intend to see that you follow through." Jim's icy glare stabbed into Darien. "And it's my understanding you have commitments elsewhere, too. As well as some dangerous tendencies?"

Darien blanched. "You've talked to Hobbes?"

A shark's smile flickered over Jim's lips. "He's very concerned about this situation."

Darien's gaze jerked up, eyes flashing. "Concerned?"

"And frustrated, if I'm any judge." Jim tipped a nod toward Blair. "Come on, Sandburg. Get your ass out of that bed. I'm taking you home."

"It..." Darien retrieved his hand from Blair. "It might be best. Bobby..."

Blair silenced him with a betrayed glare. "What are you saying, Dare?"

Darien rose, putting some space between him and his lover. "I tried to tell you before. I've had some changes in my life. There's Bobby, you know? He's a good guy. Looks after me. Keeps me out of trouble. Protects my back." He turned back to Blair "I think we could be more than just business partners. I'd.... like that."

"What are you saying?"

"Blair, I wish...." Darien turned desperate eyes toward Jim, then back to Blair. "I...Blair you have to understand. Bobby knows things about me you don't."

"So tell me." Blair snapped, blue eyes sparkling. "What the hell is going on with you?"

Darien stared at him for a long moment, then sighed "This." He rolled up a sleeve, revealing a snake tattoo that was nearly all red.

Confusion flickered over Blair's pale features. "And I'm supposed to understand...what?"

"I told you the agency took me in. Got me out of a tough spot. Well, they had a price. Needed a human lab rat to experiment on."

"Oh, Jesus...."

"The tat is a monitor. Tells me when I'm approaching dangerous levels."

"Dangerous levels," Jim asked.

Darien nibbled his lower lip. "I've attacked Bobby on a couple occasions. Tried to kill him once. If the keeper..."

"Keeper?"

"She keeps me supplied with something called the counteragent. Without that, I'd go ballistic. That happens, I'm gonna kill a whole lot of people before I die. I don't want one of those people to be you, Blair. I don't want that on my soul, Blair. Don't ask me too do that."

"You....You're throwing me out...again?"

Pressing his hands together as if praying for strength, Darien sighed. "I love you, Blair. You have to know I love you...."

"I'm hearing a but in there."

A short nod. "Like I said, things have changed. They got me out of a tight spot, Blair. And put me in an even tougher one. If I try to get out, if I fuck up and disobey, they will withhold the counteragent. And people will get hurt.

"What does Fish and Game have to do with anyth...." Jim stuttered to a halt. "Ah, hell....The Agency? Blair, this guy's got himself involved with covert ops."

Darien threw a dagger stare in Jim's direction. "I don't know about that. The agency....it's enforcement. Hush hush stuff. Won't even tell me the real branch."

"That's covert operations, all right." Jim jerked his thumb in Blair's direction. "Get dressed, Sandburg. Now."

Blair didn't move.

Fury burned in Jim's eyes. He stormed across the room, snatching up Blair's clothes and throwing them at his chest. "Put them on," he seethed. "Or I'll do it for you."

Blair lifted dead eyes. "You wouldn't..."

A dark snarl parted Jim's thinned lips. "Don't try me, Blair. I'm on a tight rein right now."

Blair glanced at Darien, then sighing, threw back the sheet and stood, pulling on his clothes with jerky movements. Both men watched him, prepared for any sign that the effort was too much for him in his current condition. Blair ignored them both, keeping his eyes cast down.

"Are you ready to leave?" Jim asked as Blair slipped into his shoes.

Blair didn't speak. Instead, he stalked past both men with a determined air.

Jim stopped him at the door with a hand on his forearm. "Tell your...friend goodbye, Blair. I don't want you having an excuse to come back here."

Blair glared. "I'm a free man. I come and go where I want."

Jim pulled Blair up by his shirt, getting in his face. "You want to bet?"

Blair braced himself with hands on Jim's shoulders. "Let go."

Jim's short snorting laugh was dangerous. "You may be my guide, but you don't command me."

"And you don't own me."

"Someone has to. I guess I'm as good as anyone."

Confusion flickered over Blair's features. Was it possible? Could there still be a chance? He shook his head. "Let me go, Ellison. I don't need or want a keeper. That's Darien's scene."

A hiss of breath let them know the barb had drawn blood.

"You're being rude, Blair. Apologize."

Blair threw a hostile glare at the man he'd come to for help. "For what? Dare doesn't expect it."

"But I do," Jim snarled, giving Blair a rough shake. "I don't know what's gotten into you, Sandburg. I won't except its fever, even if your lover does. I've never seen you behave like this and I sure as hell don't like it. Apologize. Then say goodbye."

"Its not necessary, cop," Darien said softly.

"I think it is." His eyes bore into Blair. "Do as I say."

The defiance bled out of Blair suddenly. "Yeah, okay."

Jim set him back on his feet, but kept a hand on his arm. "Apologize."

Blair sighed. "Darien, I shouldn't have made that remark. I'm angry, I suppose. Lashing out."

Jim nodded. "Now the goodbye. Make it final. You won't be coming back."

Blair flicked a frustrated glance at his sentinel.

"Say goodbye."

Blair shrugged out of Jim's grasp. He took the steps to stand before Darien. "This is how you want it?"

Darien nodded, not able to meet Blair's eyes. "The only way it can be."

"Okay," Blair murmured. He suddenly caught Darien up in a tight embrace, ravishing his mouth with a hungry kiss. "You know how to reach me, Dare."

He turned away, making his escape past a seething Jim.

Jim caught him up as he burst through the front entrance. "Stop running, Blair." he said clamping a firm hand around Blair's arm.

"Let go, dammit."

"Get in the truck."

Blair shook his head, digging in his heels "Not going with you."

"The hell you aren't."

"Don't belong there."

"I say you do."

"Jim, please...."

Jim caught a fistful of auburn curls and tipped his face up. "You aren't running away from this, Blair."

"Never said I was."

Jim's lips were a breath away. "And you aren't running away from me anymore."

"From you?" Blair stammered.

Jim captured Blair's lips, his tongue demanding entrance. Blair trembled, his lips parting without conscious thought and Jim dove inside, tasting, savoring, learning the flavor of the smaller man.

Blair melted into his tormentor, clawing at strong shoulders for support when his knees threatened to crumble under him.

Jim broke the kiss, but not the contact, capturing Blair's gaze instead. "You can't escape me, Blair. Not ever. Stop running away."

"Can't escape?"

"You're mine, Sandburg. Mine. Guide. Friend." His gaze darkened. "Lover."

"Jim.....?"

"All mine."

Stunned, Blair nodded. "Yours."

A dazzling smile played across Jim's lips. "Now, let's go home, Blair. Where we can... talk without being disturbed."

Blair glanced back toward the apartment building. "Will he be okay, do you think?"

Jim nodded. "That man has a big surprise when his partner gets home, Blair. One I think he's going to appreciate." He gathered Blair tight against his hip. "You okay with that?"

Blair met his eyes grimly. "Guess I have to be, don't I?" He slid into the truck and watched as Jim went around to his own side. "Jim," he said as the other man started the truck. "I'm sorry I ran away."

Jim shrugged, pulling out into traffic. "We'll talk about it later, Sandburg. About everything later."

THE END