At 7 PM, on Friday, November 24, 2000, at The Chapel Of The Bells in Irving, Texas, in a beautiful, traditional religious ceremony, before our families and our friends, Robert and I pledged our love and commitment to one another.



The wedding colors were lavender and pink.
The wedding flowers were pink roses.
The bridal bouquet was teardrop shaped with pink roses and white accents.
The flower girl dropped pink rose petals.
The matron of honor carried a three rose bouquet with purple accents.
The bridesmaids had single long stem rose bouquets with purple accents.



The bride (that's ME!) wore an ivory satin dress, princess cut with a V-neck and a full skirt with a chapel length train and a hoop skirt.
The veil had 3 layers:
Fingertip length for the top layer that came up over my face and ballet and waltz length for the layers that went down my back.
My shoes were ivory lace up granny boots (just like I always wanted).
I had bright periwinkle blue pettipants and a garter on each leg (an ivory one to keep and a blue one to toss).
In one shoe I had a sixpence minted in 1967, the year I was born, and in the other shoe (the side with the keeper garter), I had a sixpence minted in 1938, the year my mother's parents got married.
I was married with the same wedding band they used, just as my mother was…
I also had a handkerchief, that had belonged to my grandmother, tucked into my bodice, and I wore my mother's pearl necklace with an aquamarine pearl enhancer and her matching pearl earrings.
So, I had the traditional poem covered!
Something old (the handkerchief)
Something new (the dress, etc.)
Something borrowed (the pearls)
Something blue (the pettipants and the throw-away garter)
And a sixpence in her shoe…



The bridesmaids wore sleeveless
V-neck dresses with dark lavender satin bodices and full shimmering crepe skirts with full petticoats.
I made them garlands for their hair - my first attempt at any such activity - in pink, lavender and ivory roses, with long, coiled ribbons trailing down their backs.
The flower girl wore a dress similar to my bridal dress, with a square neck and a full skirt (no train) with a petticoat.
She wore a little ivory rose garland with coiled ribbons falling to her shoulder blades.
The groom wore a black Western Tuxedo with black cowboy boots and a boutonniere with 2 pink roses. (His son, Alex, wore the same tuxedo and the cutest little cowboy boots.)
The ringbearer and the groomsmen wore the same tuxedos with single rose boutonnieres.



The songs played during the ceremony were:
1) "Same Girl" by Twila Paris while the mothers lit the parents candles.
2) Sorry - drawing a blank on the title, but it was a duet with Dolly Parton and Tim MacGraw (?) expressing lasting commitment and love played at the giving away of the bride (that's me!)
3) "That's The Way" by Pat Terry during the lighting of the Unity Candle.
When you read the lyrics of the song, I'm sure you'll see why I have wanted this song played at my wedding ever since I first heard it when I was about 9 years old:
With this ring I thee wed and I give to you my life
Mine is yours and yours is mine
And we can live that way forever
With this kiss we will seal that we now are man and wife
Two in one, one in two
That's the way it's got to be
With this love we can live, but we can't keep it to ourselves
He is mine, he is yours
And we can spend our lives in telling
I give my heart, I give my soul, I give you all my worldly goods
Two in one, one in two
That's the way it's got to be
(Chorus)
I will cling to you, you will cling to me
And in the shadow of the cross we'll live on bended knee
With this prayer I commit that we both become as one
He in us and we in him
Saying vows to one another
Hold them fast in your heart till the day we see the Son
Two in one, one in two
That's the way it's got to be
(Chorus)
(Repeat last verse)
(Ending)
Two in one, one in two
That's the way it's got to be
That's the way it's got to be
That's the way it's got to be
(Words and Music by Pat Terry
on Pat Terry Group by Pat Terry Group
Copyright 1974 Word Music
The reception followed, also at The Chapel Of The Bells.
There was music, dancing, food, and fun…



During the reception we played all kinds of music, from Harry Connick Jr's "We Are In Love" to Dolly Parton's "I'll Make Your Bed" to Bryan Adams' "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman?". The first dance was to Savage Garden's "Truly, Madly, Deeply".



The Bridal Cake was truly fabulous!
It was made by Barbara (an Olympic Pastry Chef) of Barbara's Cakes and Cookies in Grand Prairie, Texas (blatant plug for Barbara - she's fantastic!) It was done with rolled fondant icing, buttercreme trim, and (inedible) pink sugar roses that looked absolutely REAL! The first time I saw her sugar flowers, I actually believed they WERE real - so did my mom…
The groom's cake was chocolate with buttercreme icing and fudge trim.
(Ever have one of Sam's Club's round two-layer chocolate cakes with chocolate buttercreme icing, fudge trim and a cherry in the center? That is what the groom's cake tasted like… After all, we ordered it from Sam's based on that cake being SO good.)
We had pink champagne for the bride and groom.
There was a lovely buffet with all sorts of delicious food that I barely got the chance to taste.
Fortunately, we got to take the leftovers with us when we left. Otherwise we would have Starved before the night was out…



Candace (my first cousin once removed, who was 12 or so at the time) caught the bouquet.
Boy, was her mom upset… She "had words" with MY mother about it!
Candace's dad (my first cousin) even gave me a dirty look.
Neither of them were very keen on the idea of their little girl being the next to marry… (hehehe)
Little Ian (my 8 year old ringbearer) caught the garter - and promptly threw it back!
Everyone laughed - except Ian who looked like a rattle snake was trying to make friends with him…



We left in a limo being chased by bubbles, which G-d saw fit to blow the correct direction. (I had been worried about that… I couldn't have rice OR birdseed, and bubbles are SO dependent on the wind blowing them the right way…)
The Limo dropped us off at the Wyndham Hotel in Arlington, our hometown, where we spent the weekend.



In January, we went to San Antonio (which Robert had never been to) for a long weekend.
We still plan to take an extended honeymoon when we can afford it.
UnCon2001 in Halifax was SUPPOSED to be that trip, but Robert was not able to go, so it was not a honeymoon at all… (Just a fabulously fun adventure for me! He insisted that I go ahead and go because he knew how much I wanted it… He's SO sweet!




Wedding Photos






All About Me


My Photos




Contact Me


Home