ZONK

by:  Seven O'Nine
Feedback to:  jsolinas@erols.com

Author's Notes: Dedicated to my blasted alarm clock which keeps me awake at night with that incessent buzzing...



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


The mission had been hard but rewarding, and Qui-Gon was looking forward to the promised relaxation time, now that he had returned to the Temple.

As he walked toward the two-person suite that he and Obi-Wan shared, he expected to see his apprentice looking happy and relaxed~he hadn't come along, after all.

But the first thing Qui-Gon saw as the doors slid open was the hunched figure on the couch. Obi-Wan's short hair was rumpled, his eyes were ringed with dark circles, and he was staring dully at the wall. He jumped as his master entered.

"Well, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon said, smiling and tossing his travel bag onto his broken-down armchair. "How were you while I was away?"

"Please don't shout," Obi-Wan whispered.

Qui-Gon frowned slightly. "I hope that's not a hangover I see."

"It's not."

"Then what in the galaxy is wrong?"

Obi-Wan looked up with haunted eyes. "Ever since I got back, I haven't gotten a wink of sleep."

"Why not?"

"Because whenever I do, something strange happens." Obi-Wan swallowed convulsively. "These odd noises come out of the walls."

"Odd noises?" Qui-Gon frowned and sat down on the edge of the chair. "Such as what? Scratching, squeaking?"

"No, not like that."

"Then like what?"

"Zonk."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Zonk. Zonk."

"Obi-Wan, stop saying 'zonk' and tell me what you are trying to say," Qui-Gon said patiently.

Obi-Wan shrugged. "That's the sound that I hear when I go to bed. Zonk. It lasts all night and ends just as the sun comes up."

Qui-Gon's lips were twitching uncontrollably. "Padawan, are you certain you didn't dream this?"

"For three nights running, Master?" Obi-Wan winced and slumped limply against the sofa. "I can't take it anymore. If I don't get some sleep soon, I'm going to have a psychotic episode."

Qui-Gon's smile was definitely surfacing now. "All right... I'll see if it happens tonight, but it probably won't."

"It will."


Except for Obi-Wan's fatigue, the evening was normal. The scramble for the first shower and the fluffier towel, the question of where Obi-Wan's socks had vanished to (they turned up under the armchair) and finally the sleepy-eyed goodnight.

Qui-Gon slipped under his bedcovers, hearing Obi-Wan rustling around in the next room. He smiled slightly~the boy had probably dreamed it and it had haunted the next couple of nights.

Hours passed, and Qui-Gon drifted into a light slumber. Suddenly a thudding sound woke him.

Zonk

He stiffened.

Zonk

It was a low, honking sound, coming directly from the wall. He sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Obi-Wan!" he called warningly.

"It isn't me!" Obi-Wan replied sleepily through the wall.

Zonk

Qui-Gon gritted his teeth and rolled over, pressing a pillow to his head to blot out the sound.

Zonk

"Master?"

"Yes, Obi-Wan?"

Zonk

"You hear it?"

Zonk

"Yes, I hear it."

Zonk


Qui-Gon stared up at the ceiling, pressing his hands to his ears. The zonking sound had not slowed or faded~if anything, it was louder than before.

He groaned and shouted, "Obi-Wan!"

Zonk

As he gathered his blankets and pillow in his arms, he heard Obi-Wan reply sleepily, "What is it, Master?"

"Get up, and out of bed. We can't stay here all night."

Zonk

"We can't?"

"No, we'll find someplace else to sleep."

Zonk

"Where?"

"I don't know, but until we find out what the zonking thing is-"

Zonk

"-probably one of those sabites we brought here last month~we can't stay here..."

Zonk


Mace Windu hadn't felt so rested in years. As he walked into the breakfast lounge, he flipped on the lights and looked over the rows of benches, sofas and tables.

And a bloodcurdling yowl went through the room.

He stood, frozen, as Obi-Wa Kenobi's flushed face appeared over the edge of one table nearby, looking pained. "Could you warn me first?"

Mace stared at him. Then, across the room, Qui-Gon appeared, blinking in the sudden light. "Good morning, Mace," he said quietly, smiling.

Mace sighed and closed his eyes. "May I ask what you two are doing in here?"

Qui-Gon gave a brief summary, then added, "Obi-Wan and I will need guest rooms until this thing can be expelled from our suite."

Mace's mouth and chin were spasming as he left the room. Obi-Wan glanced over at his master and sagged. "Master, you thought I was only dreaming, didn't you?"

"Yes, Obi-Wan. Forgive me for doubting you."

"Certainly, Master."

A brief pause.

"Master?"

"Yes, Obi-Wan?"

"Zonk."


Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||