YOUNG FORCE: Part 6

by:  Rabe
Feedback to:  rabe_1@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Snowan, feeling completely helpless, sat down on the couch, and the man sat down as well. Obi-Wan, clearly unbothered by the man's presence, went right up to him.

"Mother, who's this?" Obi-Wan said in his tiny, broken, baby voice.

The man laughed.

"My name is Di-Mane Farr young one. And who might you be?'

Obi-Wan let out a big laugh and said "Obi Obi-Wan" and skipped out of the room, much to Snowan's relief. She then gave her attention back to the stranger.

He gave a little smile, then raised his head.

"I am Di-Mane Farr" he said.

"Yes, and I am Snowan..."

"Lars." He finished for her. "And this is your son, Obi-Wan."

Snowan's fear was now turning into anger.

"How do you know this?! Why are you here?!" She exclaimed.

"Madame" He spoke gently, "I am here as an ambassador for myself and a revered Order of many thousands."

Snowan didn't understand.

"What order?" She asked.

"The Jedi Knights", he said plainly, but proudly.

"The Jedi?" she whispered. She'd heard of this happening before. The cloaked masters rushed throught a home, taking away a child to become a subservient hermit. She became angered. One thing was certain in her mind: Obi-Wan was going nowhere.

"No" she breathed, more to herself than anyone.

"Madame," Di-Mane said, "I doubt you fully realize it, but your son is gifted. He is...different."

Snowan didn't know why she was getting so emotional now. He hadn't actually yet said that he wished to take Obi-Wan with him. Still, a sob was breaking across her face.

"He is no different. I've never noticed anything", she lied. She frantically tried to push out of her mind memories of Obi-Wan handing her a spoon moments after she'd thought of needing one, of him amazingly catching dragonflies right out of the air, or how she could see a need written on his face before he could speak a word. She somehow felt as though Di-Mane knew all of this and that lying to him was hiding nothing.

"Please, don't be upset." Di-Mane comforted. "We must discuss this."

"Who says we must." Snowan snapped.

"You don't even know what I've come for, yet you already choose to be stubborn." Di-Mane said rather sternly.

Snowan was stricken by his blunt tone.

"I do know why." she blurted. "You want to take away my child to spend his life shut away serving in some temple. You wish him to become a..a..Jedi!" She said the word 'Jedi' as though it were some horrible disease.

"Madame, I believe that you are under some mistaken understanding of the Jedi and of my intentions" he said steadily and earnestly.

"I don't believe so." she retorted. "My grandfather was a Jedi and he was practically driven into madness by their harshness."

Di-Mane looked down at the floor. She won't be easy to convince, he though. Still, he had to try.

"You must allow me to speak." he said.

"You may speak," she said, "but I doubt I will listen.

Di-Mane only smiled and continued. "Some of what you say is true. The Jedi Code is strict and not all those who attempt a Jedi's life succeed. And if they do, it is not an easy life and I won't try to tell you it is. However, we are not unreasonable and not uncaring. We protect everyone, from slaves to emperors. Knights are anything but shut away in the temple. While much time is spent there, most of a Jedi's life is spent on different missions. Jedi have a great knowledge of the entire galaxy and see and experience things most people will never get get to experience. We serve the populace and keeping the peace. We are guardians of justice. It is truly a unique life. Those who are fit for this service should not be kept away. "

Snowan was shaken to the core now.

"So you're saying my son is fit."

"Possibly. The Force is strong in him. That much is obvious. But whether or not he has all the qualities remains to be seen. You must allow him to be tested."

Snowan had not been swayed by anything he'd said.

"No. I will not consider it. He is my son. I'm not letting a stranger take him away."

"Please" Di-Mane continued, "just allow him to be tested."

Snowan was exasperated.

"How can you possibly test him? He is so young. You can't possibly guage his abilities at this age. "

"It is possible. We have all the equimpent at the Temple on Coruscant. " Di-Mane said. "In fact, your son would be one of the older new inductees. Most children are admitted before they turn two years old."

Snowan was horrified.

"How can you steal children away from their mothers at that age? How?!"

"I assure you, good lady, we do anything but steal children. Each child we take is willingly given to us by the guardians. The parents of those who are fit to be an apprentice usually gladly give up their child for the greater good. When so much good can be done by one child, one cannot be selfish enough to deny the child and those who he would help the right for the child to be trained. Think of it. Your son, a powerful mentor, comforter, and protector. And even when the time came, a deadly warrior, ready to defend righteousness."

Even as he spoke the words, Snowan felt horribly guilty. Perhaps she was being selfish. Maybe the Jedi weren't hermits who studied all day and night. She'd never actually seen one at work. But giving up her son?

Di-Mane could see that he had touched her. He knew she had seen his point and was possibly having a change of heart.

"You wouldn't lose him. He would come to visit you. He'll have a good life at the Temple. It is bursting with humans his age with whom he could befriend. I assure you. He won't be lonely or unloved. Ever." He looked deep into Snowan's eyes, piercing them with his hazel ones.

"I just don't know." Snowan said. "Giving up my son."

"I understand. " Di-Mane said. "It won't be an easy decision."

"Perhaps I should consult my husband. He is away on family business." Then she thought better of it. She knew that Obidan thought just as she did. Bringing him into this would only bring more emotion and make it harder for them to make a decision based on logic.

"I was hoping for you decision now." Di-Mane admitted. "The Council is waiting for word as we speak. The aquisition of new apprentices is always heralded with much joy and anticipation. If you agree to my wishes, I'll need to leave with him immediately for testing."

"Immediately?!" Snowan said. Now she was letting her emotions cloud her thinking.

"Yes, immediately", he said. "I'll need to notify the Council to begin to prepare a test so that we may start promptly upon our arrival."

Snowan sat in complete silence. A million thoughts ran through her head. Would Obi-Wan be happy there? How would she feel once he was gone? Would he miss her? What would Obidan say we he returned? What would Owen think?

Suddenly her thoughts were invaded by the door buzzer. She jumped up and ran to it to find the lady who'd brought in the torn poncho.

"Hello" she said warmly "I am here for my poncho."

She took Snowan's hand and filled it with coins.

"Your poncho?" Snowan said vaguely.

"Yes" the woman said, a little confused. "I brought it here yesterday and you said you'd mend it. Have you not finished?"

Snowan's mind, too clouded with thoughts of Jedi and Obi-Wan, suddenly snapped into gear and she began to apologize.

"Yes...of course...the poncho."

The woman smiled.

"Just one moment and I'll get it for you. " She pocketed the change and reached to the side of the door, just out of the woman's site, to where she'd dropped it upon the arrival of Di-mane. "Here you are, good as new. "

"Thank you very much. " the lady said and she smiled and walked away.

Snowan closed the door and took a deep breath. She turned around and walked back into the den. There she found Obi-Wan, sitting in Di-Mane's lap, laughing and toying with the strap on the Jedi's tall boot. Di-Mane smiled down at him. He acted perfectly at ease with her little son. He now seemed very fatherly. She stared in amazement.

Obi-Wan acted as though he'd known Di-Mane all of his life. He sat contently with the Jedi and made no move to escape. Di-Mane looked up at Snowan and gave her a comforting half smile. Obi-Wan grinned at him and sat there in his lap looking as content as he ever had.

Snowan just stood there. In her mind, it seemed, everything fell into place and one decision presented itself.

"Take him." she said.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||