THE WRAITH: Part 6

by:  Sharon Nuttycombe
Feedback to:  avalon99@telusplanet.net



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


The blaster bolt caught Eidolon high on the left shoulder. The Wraith was flung backward, freeing Obi-Wan. Dizzily, fighting to keep the blaster aimed, the Apprentice dragged himself to his knees, leaning heavily on one hand, watching the other man through clouded eyes.

He had shot him. He had just shot his Master. But it wasn't Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan reminded himself once again. Trouble was, this time the arguments didn't work. It was Qui-Gon's body and he had just had proof that his Master was still in there...somewhere. And he had shot him...

Obi-Wan gave himself an inward shake. "Don't think about it," he told himself. "Deal with it later." If there was a later. It was taking all of his strength just to hold the weapon. As for getting the rest of the way up...his spirit quailed at the thought. He couldn't seem to draw enough oxygen into his starved lungs. The world spun hazily around him.

Eidolon rolled over, clutching his shoulder with his right hand. Agony contorted his...Qui-Gon's...features, and the sickening stench of burned flesh wafted toward Obi-Wan. The Padawan's stomach lurched and he fought down the urge to retch.

Finally, Obi-Wan gathered what little remained of his strength and attempted to stand. And failed. Try as he might, he couldn't seem to get to his feet. He just... couldn't. Gasping for air, he sank back to the ground. Slowly, reluctantly, his eyes began to flicker shut.


Qui-Gon returned to consciousness slowly. As the darkness receded he recognized his surroundings. His prison. The part of his mind that Eidolon had banished him to. He was back. Damn. Damn, damn, damn! More curses sizzled through him as he tested the bonds that held him. The mental chains were still there, weaker now, but still too powerful to break. Frustration swept over him. He had thrown everything he had at the alien, had used all of his reserves. Nothing remained. He had failed Obi-Wan. His Apprentice was going to die. //I'm sorry,// he thought silently at the boy. //Forgive me...//


Something made Obi-Wan open his eyes again. Some part of him that refused to accept defeat, that kept him fighting on when everything in him cried out to stop... Whatever it was, Obi-Wan's eyes flickered open. He blinked and the grey fog obscuring his vision receded slightly. Eidolon still lay nearby clutching his shoulder, conscious but unwilling or unable to move.

Something ahead caught the Apprentice' eye. A flash of light. Obi-Wan blinked again, not trusting his vision. It was still there...a bright flare coming from the rocks just ahead. He squinted, trying to ignore the pounding in his head and the pain in his throat. There. It was coming from an opening in the rocks...

"A cave." he breathed the word aloud. Eidolon frowned and, with a grunt of effort, twisted himself around to follow his gaze. Relief mingled with pain on the alien's features. Then slowly, holding his shoulder, he rose. Obi- Wan watched him, a faint flicker of astonishment going through him. The injury should have knocked him out, kept him unconscious for hours, if not days -- done an incredible amount of damage to his system... Instead, the alien was setting out for the cave, moving slowly but surely away from him. Obi-Wan frowned. Human bodies weren't built to take that much punishment. How was he...? Then the realization sunk in. Eidolon was moving away...

That was enough to bring him to his feet. Obi-Wan hadn't gone through all of this just to watch this alien wander off with Qui-Gon's body. He wasn't sure how he did it, and he didn't really care, but somehow he found himself wavering on unsteady legs. The Apprentice swallowed once then focused on the retreating form ahead of him. Quelling the rather ridiculous urge to shout "Hey, bring that body back at once," he forced himself into motion.


Each of the hundred metres from the ravine to the cave were written in agony. Obi-Wan had forgotten how it felt to not feel pain; his world had narrowed to a level of torment beyond anything he had ever imagined. Probably beyond anything anyone had ever imagined. Nevertheless, he entered the cave only a half a dozen paces behind Eidolon. The alien did not pause, but plunged into the Stygian darkness. Obi-Wan limped after him.


It was like being in a starless void. After he had rounded the first corner the light vanished altogether and the darkness was almost palpable. Obi-Wan slowed, trying to listen for the sound of Eidolon's footsteps, but a confusing barrage of echoes assailed him, and he quickly lost all sense of direction. Panic should have been coursing through him like water but the best he could manage was mild concern.

And then the lights came on. Obi-Wan nearly fell over as his pupils contracted painfully, tears forming on his lashes. Blinking hastily he managed to restore his vision...somewhat. The world was still swimming in several directions at once around him, but he found if he half- looked at things from the corners of his eyes, he could make out his surroundings. Just.

He seemed to have reached his limits for surprise too. The technological masterpiece he found himself in should have impressed him, or at the very least been slightly startling. But he couldn't seem to care. Just staying on his feet was triumph enough...

The cave was large and full of...something. Obi-Wan found himself in the middle of what looked like the most intricate computer/communication/transportation system he had ever seen. And that was just the parts he recognized. He couldn't even begin to imagine what the rest did. A console bristling with technology stood in the middle of the cavern, with some sort of...energy lines...built into the cave floor, walls, and roof. Obi-Wan peered a little closer at the one he was standing on. Pulses of power, or something else altogether, ran through it at various intervals, synchronized with the rest in ways that he couldn't even begin to fathom. On the console, tiny multicoloured lights flickered across its grey surface, like stars in a cloudless sky.

Eidolon's voice interrupted his musings. Obi-Wan turned his head, wincing at the pain the movement caused. The Wraith stood a long pace to his right. Somehow Obi-Wan had followed him step for step through the darkness. He didn't have time to ponder this though. Eidolon was rapping out a long string of commands. Even as he spoke, the pattern of the lights began to change, becoming more synchronized, less random. Obi-Wan tightened his jaw. Whatever the alien was doing, he had to stop him. Time was running out...

"That's enough." For a moment, his voice sounded confident and assured. Never mind the fact that any minute he was going to fall on his face and never get up again. Eidolon glanced at him but did not stop. It took all of his remaining strength but Obi-Wan managed to raise the blaster one last time. A fleeting look of contempt flickered through the alien's eyes. "You won't do it," the look said.

He was right. Obi-Wan couldn't shoot him again. Even set on stun, another blaster bolt would probably kill his Master, given the amount of damage Qui-Gon's body had already sustained. He couldn't do it. Defeat in his expression, he lowered the weapon. "I'm sorry, Master."


Qui-Gon saw his Padawan surrender, felt the distant surge of Eidolon's triumph, and steeled himself once more. This wasn't over yet. They were still alive. He would not give up until he saw Obi-Wan lying dead on the floor or felt the alien throw him the rest of the way out of his body. Until then, he would keep fighting. Once again, he pushed at the mental bonds surrounding him.


When the voice came, Obi-Wan did fall over. By this time, the random lights had coalesced into a single stream of pulses and a faint golden glow had lit the main console. A disembodied voice spoke and the Apprentice jumped, toppling to his knees. At that point it seemed easier to just keep going... He ended up sitting on the cavern floor, clutching the blaster with fingers he could no longer feel.

"Identify yourself," a calm, emotionless voice said. Obi- Wan struggled to reply but Eidolon answered instead:

"I am...a traveller. I am seeking the Shay'anari."

"The Shay'anari have left this place."

"Where have they gone?" The Wraith's voice was sharp.

There was a brief pause then the voice continued. "They do not wish to be found."

Frustration coloured Eidolon's voice. "What does that mean?"

Sitting on the cold cavern floor, Obi-Wan interrupted. "Who or what are you?" His voice was little more than a faint whisper but the computer, or whatever it was, heard him.

"I am the last representative of the Shay'anari and the Guardian of their knowledge," it answered.

Eidolon shot the Apprentice an annoyed glance then returned his attention to the console, which flickered and twinkled in the gloom. "Answer my question. Where are the Shay'anari?"

"Scattered. They do not wish to be found."

"Why?" Obi-Wan asked.

"They felt responsible for..."

Eidolon interrupted hastily. "Never mind that. Just tell me where they went. I grow tired of repeating myself."

"This System has been programmed not to release that information."

"I don't give a damn about your programming." Eidolon took a threatening step forward. "Tell me what I..." Abruptly he stopped, a look of agony crossing his face. He clutched at his head with his good hand and swayed.


Qui-Gon threw himself at the bonds holding him. It was working. Eidolon was weakening.


Obi-Wan blinked foggily. Then realization hit him like a laser blast. Qui-Gon was fighting back again, giving him time...to do what? He frowned, then spoke hastily.

"Guardian...this man has stolen my Master's body. Is there any way to reverse this?"

The lights on the console flickered, as if with surprise. "Identify yourself."

Obi-Wan straightened his shoulders slightly, and managed to say fairly steadily: "I am Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi. And I want my Master back. Now." He injected a note of command into his tone.

Twin beams of light suddenly shot out of the far wall and engulfed both Obi-Wan and Eidolon. The alien tottered, still clutching his head, then froze. On the ground, Obi- Wan found himself unable to move so much as a fingertip. Every muscle seemed to have turned to stone. Which wasn't much of a loss, he decided, given that he hadn't been able to move much before... A second ray swept over him, leaving his skin tingling in its wake, then both vanished, and he fell forward, just catching himself on one hand. For a moment he considered trying to get up but decided to stay where he was. "I can talk just as well from down here, anyway," he thought incoherently.

A similar ray ran over Qui-Gon's body and vanished but Eidolon remained imprisoned within the beam of light. Fury twisted his features as he fought to free himself. "Release me!"

The Guardian ignored him. "This System has identified you as the criminal, Eidolon d'Vrath. You have been accused of stealing a host's body. How do you plead?"

"I refuse to have anything to do with this...charade. I command you to release me."

"Your voice authorization has been revoked. Please answer the question."

"Innocent! I'm innocent, damn you." He was almost shouting. "Qui-Gon Jinn gave me this body. He willingly agreed to let me share it..."

"Liar," Obi-Wan said with venom. "He took it and tried to kill me."

The computer turned its attention to him. "Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, do you formally charge Eidolon d'Vrath with stealing this host's body?"

"I...Yes. And I want it back."

"Eidolon d'Vrath. My analysis indicates that you are lying. You have stolen a host's body without permission. Furthermore, you have defied your sentence of exile. For these crimes, Shay'anari justice demands your instant and immediate death. Prepare yourself."

Fear flickered through his eyes, then was gone. "You can't do that." The Guardian did not respond. The lighting in the cavern began to dim. Hastily, Eidolon spoke to Obi- Wan.

"Help me."

The Apprentice stared at him tiredly. "Why?"

"Because if you don't, this body will be destroyed, and Qui-Gon will die too." Eidolon paused. When Obi-Wan said nothing, he continued hurriedly. "I lied. He's still alive. Help me and I'll return him to you."

Obi-Wan stared at him, sighed briefly, then turned to the central console. "Wait."

There was a long pause, then: "Yes, Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi?"

He wet dry lips. "What exactly has he done?"

"Eidolon d'Vrath has committed several crimes against both the Shay'anari and their hosts, including the theft of a host's body and the destruction of that persona."

"A...host?"

He could swear that the computer sighed. "The Shay'anari share corporeal existence with willing hosts in order to learn and travel. Eidolon d'Vrath violated their laws. He was sentenced to exile for his crimes, never to return upon pain of death."

Eidolon interrupted, desperation in his voice. "Don't believe it, Obi-Wan. It's not true. I never killed anyone. Please..."

"Shut up." The Apprentice took a ragged breath, straining to draw oxygen into his labouring lungs. It didn't work. He was going to have to hurry. "Guardian," he said breathlessly, "What about my Master -- Qui-Gon Jinn? What will happen to this 'host'?"

There was a long pause.

"Well?" Obi-Wan continued hastily. "Look, I don't especially care what Eidolon has done in the past, and I certainly don't care what you do with him now, I just want my Master back. Can you do that?"

The Guardian paused again. "Yes."

"Why do I sense a 'but'...?"

The Guardian seemed to hesitate, then continued. "Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, as injured party here, you have the right to request the immediate return of this host's body. However, the chances of this host being alive are remote."

"He's still alive," Obi-Wan whispered firmly. "I'd know if he weren't."

"There is more. This System's scans indicate that you have been infected with a virulent poison. This poison can be eradicated."

"Er...what?" Fog seemed to be rolling through Obi-Wan's mind. Did it just say...?

"It is within this System's ability to cure you."

Wild hope surged through him. "Then do it. Return my Master and cure me."

"I am afraid that is not possible."

"But you just said..."

It was probably an illusion, but it almost sounded like there was a note of regret in the computer's voice. "Unfortunately, given the extreme length of time that this System has been operational, there is insufficient power available to perform both procedures. As injured party, it is your right to choose."

Choose? What was it saying? Choose between his life and Qui-Gon's? How the hell was he supposed to do that? For a moment Obi-Wan felt dizzy from more than just the effects of the Gwari's poison. His head spun and the nausea returned with a vengeance.


"NO!" Qui-Gon shouted silently, futilely. Don't leave it up to him...he knew how his Padawan would decide, which he would choose... No, Obi-Wan! Don't do it, don't... He redoubled his efforts against Eidolon as the alien's grip on his mind continued to weaken.


In the end it wasn't a difficult decision. Obi-Wan only had to ask himself if he could live with the knowledge that he had traded another's life for his own. He didn't even have to consider the depth of his emotions for his Master. The answer was easy.

"Return Qui-Gon Jinn." There was no trace of doubt or hesitation in his voice. "Do it now."

"Very well," the Guardian replied. "Obi-Wan Kenobi, do you stand as witness?"

"Only if I can do it from a sitting position," he thought irreverently, trying to ignore the fact that he had just, in essence, committed suicide. He nodded. "Yes."

"Eidolon d'Vrath, as representative of the Shay'anari, I hereby carry out your sentence..."


Suddenly Qui-Gon found himself toppling forward, back into his body. Shock and astonishment rippled through him. The Wraith...was gone.


At the last possible moment, Eidolon leaped. He didn't leap physically. Qui-Gon's body remained firmly a prisoner in the light's grasp...but the essence that was Eidolon abruptly vacated that body and dove straight into Obi- Wan's. The Apprentice had no warning and no strength left with which to fight. There was no struggle. One minute, Obi-Wan was in control. The next, he wasn't.

Qui-Gon drew a deep breath. He blinked and tensed his muscles against the Guardian's hold, ignoring the sudden onslaught of pain from the injuries his body had sustained. For a moment disorientation swept over him, then he saw Obi-Wan climbing to his feet, the blaster aimed at the console. And he knew where Eidolon had gone. No! "Guardian, release me!" Qui-Gon yelled aloud, part of him revelling in the fact that he could do so. "He's taken Obi-Wan." The light around his body wavered, as if the computer were bewildered by the sudden shift in personalities. The energy pulses along the floor and walls flickered as if with confusion then the invisible chains holding him vanished. Qui-Gon launched himself at his Apprentice in a silent, lethal attack.

Eidolon was obviously better able to withstand the effects of the poison than Obi-Wan. Hearing Qui-Gon, he whirled. Suddenly faced with a blaster aimed at his heart, Qui-Gon nevertheless continued his headlong rush toward him. Eidolon fired...and missed. The blaster bolt sizzled past Qui-Gon but the Jedi did not pause. He hit the alien in a flying tackle and they crashed to the ground together, the blaster flying across the cavern floor.

For the second time since their arrival on this planet, Obi-Wan's fist connected solidly with Qui-Gon's jaw. Stars exploded behind the Jedi's eyes but he shook off the effects of the blow and concentrated on pinning the Wraith to the ground. His efforts were hampered by the waves of pain surging through him as he jolted his injured shoulder. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, he managed to imprison the struggling boy beneath him. And in that instant he knew how to save him.

"Guardian!" he shouted, "Now!" Instantly a cascade of pure white light hit them both. It didn't affect Qui-Gon, beyond burning white spots onto his retinas but, beneath him, Obi-Wan's body stiffened as the alien inside him screamed in mortal agony. Qui-Gon closed his eyes and his ears to his cry, fighting to keep Eidolon from rolling aside out of the light's path. It seemed to last forever...and then it was over. Beneath him, Obi-Wan slumped, going limp.

Cautiously Qui-Gon eased his weight from the boy, prepared for any tricks. There were none. His Padawan was unconscious. The Jedi looked up. The lights in the cavern were dimming as the energy pulses randomized again then began to fade one by one. Even as he watched, he became aware of a low rumbling coming from the ceiling. Shards of rock were beginning to fall.

"Guardian?" he asked hoarsely, trying to protect Obi-Wan with his body as larger stones rained down on them both. There was no answer. The last few pulses in the ceiling winked once or twice, then vanished altogether. The light began to fade.

Qui-Gon didn't hesitate. With a muffled groan, he reached down and dragged his Apprentice upright, flinging him over his good shoulder. Steadying his body with one hand, he rose, turned, and headed for the entrance as quickly as he could. Behind him, the console was rapidly being buried in an avalanche of rocks and stones. Qui-Gon cast one last look at it before diving forward to avoid an enormous boulder that crashed down only inches behind them. And then they were outside.... The Jedi stumbled forward into the sunlight and collapsed, retaining only enough presence of mind to cushion Obi-Wan as they fell to the sandy ground. Behind him, the entrance to the cave vanished in a hail of rocks and dirt. Slowly, the rumbling subsided.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||