THE WRAITH: Part 4

by:  Sharon Nuttycombe
Feedback to:  avalon99@telusplanet.net



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


The early morning air was hot and dry with a faint hint of something floral on the breeze. Obi-Wan stood just outside the downed Kherosian shuttle, staring gloomily at the landscape. Beyond the rock pillars and boulders where the ship lay was a flat, rocky expanse of desert. Small plants grew here and there in rock crevices but only the occasional stunted tree broke the horizon.

"Obi-Wan." The Apprentice stiffened at the sound of his name then turned.

"What is it?"

Eidolon tilted his head a little. "I can't see."

The Padawan's jaw tightened. The cut on the alien's forehead had almost closed, but a thin trickle of blood still ran into his eyes. Eidolon gave him a mocking smile, his hands still bound securely behind his back.

"Would you mind?"

With a muffled curse, Obi-Wan reached up with one sleeve and roughly wiped the blood from the alien's eyes. Eidolon's smile grew wider. "Lovely bedside manner you have. Ever considered a career in medicine?"

Obi-Wan suppressed a growl then turned his attention back to the landscape, trying to match the sensor readings he had seen earlier with what lay before him.

"I was planning on killing you, you know," Eidolon said conversationally, blinking in the sunlight.

"Yes, I know. Why else do you think I crashed the shuttle?"

"I thought perhaps insanity was prevalent in Jedi Apprentices."

Obi-Wan glanced down at the blaster, checking its power supply. "Only this one," he said absently. "Now get moving."

"As you wish." With a mocking grin, the man in Qui-Gon's body turned away from the shuttle and began to pick his way carefully over the rocky ground. Obi-Wan watched him for a moment then shifted the blaster back to his right hand and set out after him.


Qui-Gon felt an involuntary surge of satisfaction when he realized how difficult Eidolon was finding it to manoeuvre over the uneven terrain with his hands tied. The alien -- or rather Qui-Gon's body -- hadn't escaped the shuttle's crash unscathed. Eidolon walked stiffly, turning his head as little as possible, and his vision kept blurring at regular intervals. Concussion, probably. Good. That should help Obi-Wan. Another shaft of irony struck him. It wasn't often that one was pleased to have a concussion...

Obi-Wan. The Jedi managed to get another look at his Apprentice when he crossed Eidolon's line of vision. The boy was limping heavily and it looked as though his back and neck were hurting. Then again, there was also a stubborn glint in his eyes that Qui-Gon recognized. The Jedi Master suspected that Obi-Wan could outlast Eidolon and make it to the power source and back, if necessary. It was becoming evident that there was very little his Padawan could not do...


Obi-Wan wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. The temperature had increased as the distant orange sun had risen higher, the sky turning a vivid electric blue. He paused for a moment and reached for the Force, using it to adjust his body temperature to cope with the heat. Beside him Eidolon started and frowned, as if something unseen had brushed against him. Obi-Wan's mouth went dry.

Did the alien know about the Force? The thought had been bothering the Apprentice for over an hour now. If Eidolon truly had accessed all of Qui-Gon's memories, then he must. But perhaps "knowing" and "using" were two different things. Otherwise, the alien would surely have freed himself already. Wouldn't he? More questions chased each other through Obi-Wan's mind but unfortunately there were no answers. And he didn't dare ask. He couldn't risk giving Eidolon knowledge that he might be able to use. If only he could talk to someone...but he was holding a blaster on the only person he could ask...

"So why are you using that to threaten me rather than your lightsabre?" Eidolon interrupted his thoughts, nodding toward the blaster. "I thought Jedi didn't use offensive weapons."

Obi-Wan glanced down at it. "We don't. Generally. But somehow I don't think my Master would be very pleased if I loppped off a limb or gave him third degree burns while I was trying to save him."

"But he would be pleased if you shot him, is that it?"

"Probably not. But of the two choices, I know which one he would pick..."


Obi-Wan called a halt several hours later as they reached a stone well with a bucket on a frayed rope. The well was old and crumbling but when he dropped the bucket into its depths there was a reassuring splash. With one eye on Eidolon, he tucked the blaster into the front of his belt and carefully pulled up a pitcherful of water. He gave it a hesitant sniff then took a small sip.

"Well?" Eidolon's voice was impatient.

Obi-Wan frowned. "It seems all right."

"I'm surprised you didn't make me try it first." Obi-Wan glanced up at the alien. "After all," Eidolon continued. "You've already threatened to shoot me. What's a little poison between friends?"

Obi-Wan ignored him and took another swallow.

"I'm thirsty too." Eidolon reminded him impatiently.

Obi-Wan shot him a sharp look. "All right," he said. "But no tricks." He took a step forward.

"Of course not. But this would be easier if you released my hands."

A wry smile curled at Obi-Wan's lips. "Do I look that stupid or are you just a poor judge of character?"

The alien didn't answer, leaning forward as Obi-Wan awkwardly tilted the bucket so he could drink. Then the Apprentice replaced it and leaned against the well, taking some of the weight from his throbbing ankle.

"Tell me about...ouch." Obi-Wan broke off suddenly and snatched his hand away from the stones. He glanced down in time to see a small red insect scuttling back into the shadows, then his gaze fell to his left hand. Four tiny marks marred the skin near his wrist. He looked up at Eidolon, alarm in his eyes. "What was that?"

"What colour was it?"

"Red."

"Was there a white stripe on its back?" he asked.

Obi-Wan hesitated. "Yes. I think so." He frowned as the alien burst into laughter. "What?"

"Oh nothing." With an effort Eidolon suppressed his laughter but a wide grin remained on his face. "It's just that I was wrong. It seems that some things on this planet haven't changed after all." He chuckled again.

Obi-Wan rubbed the side of his hand where a red welt was already forming. "What do you mean? And do try to contain your hilarity for a moment."

"Sorry. You probably don't find this very amusing." The grin vanished. "You've been bitten by a Gwari. They're poisonous."

"What's the cure?" An edge was beginning to appear in Obi- Wan's voice.

"That's just it. There is none."

The Apprentice stared at him. "I don't believe you."

"You should. You've got twenty, maybe twenty-five hours to live. No more. And then you're going to die. Very slowly. In agony. I've seen it happen before. First dizziness, fever, nausea, then pain like nothing you've ever experienced...or imagined. Your respiratory and cardiovascular systems will fail and..."

"There must be a cure." Obi-Wan couldn't quite keep the tremor of alarm out of his voice.

Eidolon smiled widely. "I must admit I appreciate the irony. Don't you? In a few hours you'll be dead and I'll be free. So much for your plan to somehow restore Qui-Gon to his body..."

Obi-Wan turned to Eidolon, a dangerous expression on his face. "Right. Let's get going."

"Excuse me? Didn't you hear anything I just said?"

"Yes, and I said get going."

Eidolon stared at him, perplexed. "Why?"

"Because I obviously have less time than I thought to find your people and get you out of Master Qui-Gon's body."

Eidolon did not move. "You would be wiser to go back to the ship and wait for rescue. Maybe your people will be able to find a cure. Let me go and I won't interfere."

Obi-Wan shook his head. "No. Besides, you said it would be several days before anyone would find us."

"Maybe I was wrong."

"Maybe. But I'm not going to take that chance. Move." Obi-Wan gestured with the blaster.

Eidolon frowned, opened his mouth as if to say something, then closed it again and turned away, trudging deeper into the desert. Obi-Wan glanced down once more at the welt on his hand then squared his shoulders and marched determinedly after the Wraith.


The heat became even more pervasive as the hours passed, and the water from the well was a distant memory. Or perhaps the first symptoms of the insect bite were already making themselves known. Obi-Wan brushed the back of his hand across his forehead then shivered. Despite the heat, a chill was creeping over him. Definitely fever. Damn. He had hoped that the alien had been lying.

Actually, he hoped that Eidolon was lying about a great deal. If Qui-Gon really were dead...for the first time Obi-Wan allowed himself to think of the implications. What would he do without his Master? Qui-Gon had been his teacher, his mentor, his closest friend for half of his life. He was the only real family Obi-Wan had left. What would he do without him...?

And then there were his doubts. Part of him was seriously questioning the wisdom of pursuing this course of action. Maybe Eidolon was right. It might be wiser to wait at the crash site. But if he did...the Wraith would take his body. Of that he had no doubts. It was only a matter of time. True, he was no safer out here with the alien than in the shuttle but at least this gave him the illusion of accomplishment. He couldn't just sit and wait...and hope. As for letting Eidolon go...that wasn't an option either. Obi-Wan sighed. No, this was the only way. Obi-Wan ignored the qualms running through him and rubbed his hand again. It had begun to itch, he noted unhappily.


The last rays of the sun were disappearing when Obi-Wan finally came to a halt beside a tattered tree. They had probably travelled about two thirds of the way, he decided, bending over to rub his aching ankle. Beside him Eidolon sank to the ground without a word, leaning back against a large rock with a sigh. The alien hadn't said much during the last few hours...for which the Apprentice was grateful. He had enough to deal with at the moment...

As the shadows had lengthened Obi-Wan had found his vision tending to blur if he moved his head too quickly. Bouts of shivering had racked his limbs and his stomach churned in rebellion. He took a couple of deep, steadying breaths... and staggered under the wave of nausea that hit him. Okay. "Deep breathing is definitely not the way to go..." Obi- Wan tried a few shallow gulps of air instead. Better. The churning in his stomach subsided slightly. He looked over at Eidolon who was gazing at him, a faint smile on his lips.

"It's started, hasn't it?" the alien said. "Dizziness, nausea, just as I said."

Obi-Wan didn't answer. Instead, he eased himself down until he was sitting on the ground beside the tree, a few feet away from the Wraith.

"Are you going to untie me?" There was a note of fatigue in Eidolon's voice that hadn't been there before.

"No." Obi-Wan curled his knees up and folded his arms around them, trying to conserve body heat. The temperature was plummeting rapidly as distant stars emerged in the night sky.

"My hands have gone numb."

"Qui-Gon's hands have gone numb."

"Fine," Eidolon agreed impatiently. "Qui-Gon's hands have gone numb. Can you at least loosen the ropes a little?"

"Sorry."

Eidolon scowled and fell silent. Briefly. "Is there any water?"

"No."

"I'm thirsty."

"Get used to disappointment."

"That's not very polite."

Obi-Wan met his gaze in disbelief. "You've stolen my Master's body, kidnapped me, and revelled in the knowledge that I'm going to die in...let's see...about 12 hours, and you want me to be polite? And you think I'm insane?" His voice rose.

Eidolon shot him an annoyed look but otherwise did not reply. In the distance a wild animal cried and Obi-Wan shivered slightly. Twin moons rose slowly above the horizon, casting faint blue shadows over the terrain.

"Obi-Wan."

The Apprentice sighed. "What?"

"Why are you doing this?" There was honest curiosity in the Wraith's voice.

"Doing what?"

"All of this. Gambling your life on the remote possibility that this power source will somehow restore Qui-Gon, or that you'll be able to find my people. Believe me, if they don't want to be found, they won't."

Obi-Wan looked across at him, at Qui-Gon's familiar features lit by the moonlight. "How did you expect to find them then? And why?"

Eidolon looked away. "I have my ways," he said evasively, "and my motives are my own."

The Apprentice's eyes narrowed. "You know what this power source is, don't you?" When Eidolon made no reply, he continued, almost to himself. "You haven't complained about this. You want to go there, don't you?" It was half-guess, half-certainty.

"How can I prevent it? My...excuse me...Qui-Gon's... hands are tied, I have a concussion and everything hurts, and you hold the only weapons. I'm no more eager than you are to die, Padawan."

"Don't call me that," Obi-Wan said absently.

"All right. Obi-Wan." Eidolon coughed, then winced. "If you're so sure that I want to reach this power source, why don't you stop me? End this journey now..."

Obi-Wan debated not answering but finally decided to keep talking. At least it kept his mind off his body's increasing debility. The nausea had, if anything, increased since he had stopped and his back and ankle throbbed unmercifully. "I don't have a choice," he said grimly. "As you so diplomatically put it, if I don't find a cure soon, I'll be dead and you'll have Qui-Gon's body. I can't let that happen."

"Which brings us back to my original question. Why are you doing this?"

Obi-Wan looked away, staring out into the darkness. "He's my Master."

"And he'd do as much for you..." Eidolon said mockingly.

"Yes," Obi-Wan replied simply.

"You say that like you believe it."

"I do."

Eidolon smiled slightly. "You shouldn't. Don't forget - I have all his thoughts and memories. I know the truth."

Obi-Wan glared at him. "And so do I." He sighed. "Look - - just go to sleep. We have a long way to go tomorrow." He leaned back against the tree, wincing a little.

"Aren't you afraid I'll somehow free myself and kill you? Or do you think you can stay awake all night?"

"I can stay awake as long as I have to."

"Liar," Eidolon said. There was another long pause, then: "Tell me about him."

Obi-Wan startled slightly. "Why?"

"I don't know. Something to pass the time. Besides, I'm curious."

"What about?" the Apprentice asked warily.

"Why you would follow a man like that so blindly."

A flash of anger went through Obi-Wan. "A man like what?"

Eidolon spoke softly. "He was using you. Can't you see that? He took you as his Apprentice in a moment of pity, and spent the next several years of his life regretting it. He was only waiting until someone better could come along - - a real Padawan, not someone like you that no one else wanted. You were nothing to him. A diversion, nothing else..."

"Stop it!" There was real anger in Obi-Wan's voice...and just a hint of doubt. Eidolon heard it and chuckled.

"You know it's true. Think of all those years, all those Jedi Masters that looked at you and always found something lacking. No-one ever wanted you, did they? If it wasn't for Qui-Gon, you'd have been a farmer by now. If you only knew how many times he wished he'd never..."

"I said stop it!" Suddenly Obi-Wan was on his feet, the blaster pointed at the other man. "You're lying! Master Qui-Gon..."

"...Never cared for you. Never!"

Obi-Wan's finger tightened on the trigger, black fury sweeping through him. He stared into the alien's eyes, his entire body shaking...and then his gaze slowly fell to the blaster in his hand...

And he dropped back to the ground and closed his eyes, trying desperately to regain control of his feelings. Finally, after an eternity or two, he spoke, his voice flat and devoid of emotions. "Just...go to sleep."

Eidolon paused, as if he would say something else, then nodded once and leaned back against the rock.

Obi-Wan did not look at him again, his entire being focused inward. Silence fell between them as the night grew slowly colder.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||