SOMETHING BORROWED, SOMETHING BLUE: Part 11

by:  Kerrie Smith
Feedback to:  dsrtnomad@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"How did it go?" Spath asked conversationally as Anakin dashed onto the ship.

"Takeofftakeofftakeoff!" Anakin yelped, as an older couple, dressed in rich clothing climbed aboard, followed by Tare, who was brandishing a rather large weapon.

"Gotcha," Spath said, hitting the controls. "So what line of poodoo did you feed 'em, Ani?"

"I didn't. Tare kidnapped them."

"Huh. And I thought you handmaidens were all pretty faces and orange robes."

"I truly am sorry about this," Tare said to Toraz and Mataunia, tucking her blaster back into her robes. "But it was necessary. We haven't much time."

"Uh... problem," Spath announced. As the ship burst free of the atmosphere, they found themselves surrounded by a dozen fighters. "I don't suppose your Royal Highnesses could call these boys off?"

"I see no reason why we should," Mataunia said icily. "I demand to know what this is all about."

Anakin smiled winningly. "We're takin' you to the wedding."


Obi-Wan shuffled through the halls of the palace. He'd dropped the Queen off at her chambers, and was headed back to his own.

What're you brooding about? he mentally chided himself. You did your job. You cheered her up for the day. You can't do anything else. Give it up.

Sighing, he thrust his hands into his pockets. To his surprise, his fingers encountered something soft. He pulled out Amidala's hair ribbon. She'd totally forgotten about it, and so had he. Obi-Wan's stomach twisted as he stared at the silky length of ribbon.

What's wrong with me? he wondered, stuffing it back in his pocket. I need some sleep or something.

He turned the corner and reached his quarters. Strangely enough, Prince Westerly and one of Amidala's handmaidens were sitting in front his door. They'd apparently fallen asleep, the girl leaning on Westerly's shoulder. Obi-Wan didn't even want to know. Unfortunately, he couldn't get in with them leaning against the door.

"Wonderful," he commented. Suddenly, he remembered a little errand he had to run. "When I get back, you two had better be gone," he warned. "Oh, never mind."


"How was it?" Sache asked excitedly.

"Details, details!" Eirtae added.

"It was wonderful," Amidala said, just a hint of sadness in her voice. "Everything was so alive and busy."

"Did you see any cute boys?"

"Was the food good?"

"Was there dancing?"

"How was Obi-Wan?"

The last question was asked by both handmaidens in unison.

"Yes, yes, yes and what?"

"Obi-Wan. Was he a gentleman?" Sache asked.

"I... guess."

"Did he do anything cute?" Eirtae said, shooting a look at Sache.

Amidala laughed. "What's your definition of cute?"

"You know how guys do cute stuff. Obi-Wan does a lot of it. His accent, for example. And when he's so over-protective of Anakin. That's just adorable."

"You HAVE a boyfriend-- and Anakin isn't even here."

Eirtae grimaced for a moment. "I meant the last time they were here. When they were both here. And I don't have any designs on him, I just wanted to know if he did anything cute."

"Well... We had sugar buns for breakfast, and he got sugar all over his nose."

"Awww!" the handmaidens chorused.

Amidala giggled. They were so easily amused. She was almost sorry she'd promised not to say anything about the singing.


"There," Queen Mataunia said, clicking off the comlink. "I've gotten everything straightened out. I still don't understand this, but we're going with you."

"But we'll miss the Yoopta Festival," Toraz started to complain. He was abruptly cut off with a sharp glare from his wife.

"So which one of you is going to explain this?" she asked, crisply.

Anakin waved his hand a little. "No explanations are nec--"

"Stop that," Tare said, hitting him. "Westerly wanted you to come, so he sent us to come fetch you."

"At gunpoint?" Toraz exclaimed.

"He said it might be difficult to tear you away from the Yoopta Festival," Tare finished lamely.

"I'd call you a liar if I didn't know our son so well," Mataunia growled.

"Going to hyperspace," Spath announced. "Hang onto your stomach, Tare."

The ship lurched as it made the jump to lightspeed. Tare's face instantly flushed green.

"Spacesick, dear?" the Queen asked.

Tare nodded miserably.

"Here. I've got some pills for that. Let me look in my purse." The Queen whipped out a largish bag, and began rooting through it. "Here we go. They're really for stress, but they do well for spacesickness as well."

"Oh, your Majesty, I couldn't--"

"TAKE them."

"Yes, ma'am."

It was going to be a LONG ride home.


Obi-Wan leaned on the doorbell. A moment later, it swished open to reveal Sabe.

"Jedi Kenobi! You're back. How was your day?"

"Peachy. I did my end of the bargain. Did you do yours?"

"Of course. One set of clean Jedi robes, coming right up." She headed somewhere into the depths of the room. "I don't know what you've been doing in those things, but they were absolutely filthy. It took me forever to get that horrible dinginess out."

"Dinginess?"

She returned and dumped a bundle of clothing into his arms. "There you go."

"You BLEACHED my robes?"

"Don't they look pristine?"

"They're supposed to be that tannish color!"

Sabe's brow wrinkled. "You're kidding! Well, I think they look much nicer in bright white. Don't you?"

Obi-Wan could definitely feel a headache coming on.


"Is he a good dancer?"

At first, Amidala had minded the interrogation, but as she began to remember the day's events, she became brighter and more garrulous. "Oh, definitely. He's very graceful, probably from all the Jedi training. At first, he didn't know the dances, but he's a very quick learner."

"I want to go to town with Obi-Wan," Sache sighed. "Er, I mean Jedi Kenobi."

"It certainly was an experience," Amidala said, swinging her legs.

Eirtae glanced down. "Amidala!"

Sache saw what she was looking at. "What happened to your leg?"

"Huh? Oh, that. I fell, and scraped up my calf."

"Should we get the physician to look at it?" Sache asked, concerned.

Amidala touched the soft gauze tenderly. "No. Obi-Wan patched it up. It doesn't even hurt anymore."

Eirtae grinned wickedly. "Did he kiss it and make it all better?" The two thrown pillows hit her in the face at the same time.


"Thank you so much, your Highness. Those pills really helped."

"Don't mention it, dear. No one wants to spend long hours in space dreadfully ill. Now I'm curious about your little friend, here."

"Huh?" Anakin said articulately.

"Is that man your father?"

"Heck, no. That's just Spath."

"'Lo," Spath said, waving from the pilot's seat.

"So where exactly are your parents?"

"I don't have a dad. Mom's a slave on Tatooine. As soon as I get old enough, I'm going back to free all the slaves."

Mataunia's eyes widened. "You poor dear! All alone in this big galaxy, forced to wander around with space... bums!"

"Hey!" Spath said.

"Naw, I'm not alone," Anakin defended. "I got Obi-Wan. He's my Master."

"Your... Master?" the Queen said, a disgusted expression creeping onto her face.

"He's teaching me to be a Jedi," Anakin continued.

"Master is just an honorific. Jedi Knight Kenobi is the Master, Anakin is the Padawan. It doesn't mean anything," Tare quickly explained.

The Queen looked relieved. "And where is this... Obi-Wan now?"

"On Naboo, helpin' out with the wedding."

"And he just let's you go gallivanting about the galaxy? I must have a talk with him. Perhaps I should even call the Jedi Council."

"No!" Anakin protested. "Obi-Wan's a great Master! He's kind of a crappy cook, but he cares a lot about me, and does stuff he thinks is best for me, even if sometimes it's not. He trusted me, and he trusted Spath and Tare to take care of me. Don't get him in trouble, please!"

The Queen smiled kindly. "I wouldn't dream of it. He sounds very special."

"Yeah. He is," Anakin said, slightly embarrassed.

"Westerly has a younger sister, you know. She's on Coruscant for schooling, but I believe she was planning to attend the wedding. Toraz! Toraz, wake up! How old did you say this Obi-Wan was again?"

Anakin blinked. This was definitely not looking good. "Did I mention Obi-Wan can't cook?"


The door chime pinged cheerfully.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!"

Captain Panaka opened his door to greet a tired and disheveled Obi-Wan Kenobi, dressed like a Nubian peasant and carrying a bundle of white cloth. "You look bad," he commented.

"Thank you. For some reason, the honorable Prince Westerly of Jocar and one of the Queen's handmaidens have chosen to camp out in front of my door, and I can't get in."

"You want me to throw them out?"

"Oh. Actually, I was going to ask if I could spend the night, but if you feel like harrassing them, that's fine, too."

"Come on in. But don't get the idea this is some kind of slumber party, because I ain't curling your hair, Jedi."

"Gotcha."


Anakin snoozed in the copilot's seat, a blanket wrapped around his shoulders. He was jolted from his sleep as the ship gave a weak shudder, and dropped out of hyperspace. Anakin squinted blearily as Spath jumped out of the cockpit, swearing heavily. Shaking off the blanket, Anakin followed him, careful not to wake the other three.

"What's going on, Spath?"

"Damn power coupling," Spath grunted. "Only thing your boy Obi- Wan didn't have time to fix on our way to Naboo."

"Can you fix it?" Anakin asked worriedly.

"I think so, but it may take a few hours."

"Spath, the wedding's in 30 hours, and it's going to take us at least 24 to get back to Naboo!"

"I KNOW, okay? Just hand me that hydrospanner, will ya?"

"I've got a bad feeling about this," Anakin commented.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||