SHATTERED PARADISE: Part 1

by:  Jedi7
Feedback to:  JediAngel7@hotmail.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Obi-Wan stood uneasily in the center of the Jedi Council Chamber. Next to him was his master, Qui-Gon Jinn, who was listening intently to what Master Yoda was telling him. He saw the fear in his Master’s eyes, shining out from behind his mask of calm. It was that look that told Obi-Wan that this wasn’t just a simple meeting.

Just several days ago a band of rogue Jedi Knights had kidnapped a group of initiates and teachers who were on their way back to the Jedi temple. It was their belief that they could train the initiates in their ways and topple the Jedi council.

The knights were understandingly upset about this and many had volunteered to help rescue the children and their teachers. So far, the council had refused their offers but now they had called him and Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan knew there must be a reason behind it but he wasn’t sure yet what it was. He knew that Qui- Gon had seemed unusually more upset then the rest of the Jedi order about the news. Maybe that had something to do with it.

“Are you sure Kai-Ser was among them,” asked Qui-Gon.

“Positive, we are,” said Yoda.

“Then you will help me rescue them.”

“Not sure,” said Yoda. “Too close you may be.”

“It’s been many years,” replied Qui-Gon. “I want to help.”

“Undecided we are,” said Yoda. “Contact you later, we will.”

Qui-Gon bowed and Obi-Wan followed suit. They turned and left the room, Obi-Wan walking slightly behind his master. He noticed Qui-Gon was walking slower then usual, without much of the confidence he usually had. It was only a slight change but Obi-Wan had been around him long enough to notice it.

“Master, is something wrong,” asked Obi-Wan.

“This is a disturbing situation, young Padawan,” replied Qui- Gon.

“But you seem more disturbed by the news then anyone else,” said Obi-Wan. “And why did the council only call you?”

“So, many questions,” said Qui-Gon, without amusement.

“Remember to be patient, Obi-Wan.”

“I just wish to help, Master,” said Obi-Wan.

“I know,” said Qui-Gon. “It can be hard to be patient sometimes.”

“Master, may I ask just one question?”

“And what is that, my young apprentice?”

“You mentioned a Kai-Ser,” said Obi-Wan. “Who is that?”

“She’s a very special girl,” said Qui-Gon, a faint smile on his face. “She’s only six but she’s on the level of students twice her age.”

Obi-Wan could tell there was more to this story but decided to drop the subject.

Qui-Gon didn’t seem to want to offer anymore information and Obi- Wan decided that it would be wiser to bring it up at a later time.

Now they wandered back to their room. It was night time now and Obi-Wan prepared for bed. Just as he was about to go off to his bed, he noticed Qui-Gon sitting in front of the window staring out into space.

“Master, it’s late,” said Obi-Wan.

“I’m aware of the hour, Obi-Wan,” said Qui-Gon, not moving his gaze away from the window.

“Master, what is going on,” said Obi-Wan, cautiously approaching him. “I know you said to be patient but I’m worried about you.”

“Thank you for your concern,” said Qui-Gon. “But there is no reason to worry about me.”

“Then why do you look so worried?”

“Because things are more complicated then they seem, Obi-Wan,” said Qui-Gon.

“But they are nothing you need to worry about.”

“If something worries you, Master, it worries me, too.”

“Thank you, young Padawan.”

“But,” protested Obi-Wan, before Qui-Gon turned and interrupted him.

“When the time comes you will find out everything,” said Qui- Gon. “For now I’d rather not talk about this anymore.”

“I understand,” said Obi-Wan, trying to contain his frustration. “Good night.”

Qui-Gon nodded his reply and Obi-Wan went off into his room. He didn’t fall asleep for long after, his mind trying to figure out the source of the mystery.


The next morning Obi-Wan was upset to find that Qui-Gon had already left. His disappointment soon turned to curiosity when he discovered he could maybe find out some more information without Qui-Gon trying to block his efforts.

He went to where the records of the students were kept. He didn’t know the girl’s full name because Qui-Gon and the council had only mentioned her first name. Luckily,the record keepers knew who she was but his excitement was crushed when they told him he couldn’t see the file.

“Why not,” demanded Obi-Wan, his frustration growing again.

“We’ve been instructed not to show her file to anyone.”

“Do you know anything about this girl,” asked Obi-Wan, not ready to give up hope.

“Yes, she’s very special,” said the record keeper. “One of the best, she is. She’ll probably be the first padawan in her class. Maybe even in the class before her.”

“Anything else,” asked Obi-Wan, trying to act inconspicuous.

“I can’t help you anymore,” she replied. “Sorry.”

Obi-Wan sighed as she turned her back on him and disappeared into the back room. He was tempted to follow her and demand answers but that wasn’t the way to do things. Besides he could only imagine the look of disappointment on Qui-Gon’s face.

Obi-Wan left the record center, disappointed and hungry. He was half tempted to find some breakfast but decided he needed to find Qui-Gon first.

He found him in the garden, kneeling in front of the small stream that ran through it.

“I sense you are restless, young Padawan,” said Qui-Gon, not moving from his position. “Perhaps you are tired about being left in the dark.”

“Yes,” said Obi-Wan, inching closer, hoping that Qui-Gon’s words meant that he was ready to tell more.

“Well, that time of darkness is drawing to an end,” he replied.

“The Jedi council has asked us to lead a rescue mission.”

“Us,” asked Obi-Wan, forgetting Qui-Gon’s mystery for a moment.

“Why us?”

“That you will see,” said Qui-Gon, turning his full attention back to meditation.

Obi-Wan sighed and walked away. Qui-Gon was always teasing him like this, giving him half of something, a story or a joke, then he’d keep the rest of it for later. He told Obi-Wan it was to teach him patience, one of the most difficult things to master.


Later after breakfast, Obi-Wan returned to his quarters and began to pack. It doesn’t take long to pack only your essentials but Obi-Wan took his time, knowing his master would return sooner or later to pack.

Sure enough, Qui-Gon arrived just as Obi-Wan was about to go in search of him. He looked a lot calmer now which encouraged Obi- Wan.

“I’m ready to leave, master,” said Obi-Wan, trying to keep Qui- Gon’s spirits up.

“Very good,” said Qui-Gon. “And I am ready as well.”

“When did you come back here to get ready,” asked Obi-Wan, unbelievingly. After he’d left Qui-Gon in the garden he’d went to get breakfast and then returned here to pack. He didn’t know when Qui-Gon could have come back to their room without him knowing.

“I could sense you were hungry,” said Qui-Gon, noticing his surprised expression. “So, I knew you’d be going to breakfast. I returned here and packed quickly.”

“But then where did you go?”

“So, many questions,” chuckled Qui-Gon. “I went back to my meditating.”

“You seem to be doing that a lot lately,” said Obi-Wan. After he finished the comment he immediately clamped his hand over his mouth, embarrassed to have spoken to his master like that. “I’m sorry, sir.”

“Quite all right,” said Qui-Gon. “I’m glad you’re improving your observation skills.”

Obi-Wan nodded and Qui-Gon gave him a small smile. Then grabbing his sack,Qui-Gon motioned toward the door.

“Let’s get going,” he said. “We don’t have a moment to lose.”

Obi-Wan nodded again, eager to please his master, and quickly flung his sack on his back. Qui-Gon smiled down at Obi-Wan and he thought he detected a hint of sadness. But Qui-Gon had turned and disappeared through the door before he could tell for sure.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||