LEGACY: Part 7

by:  Shana Nolan
Feedback to:  dpangel@thegrid.net

Author's Notes:  Well, we made it to the end. like the Eagles said, "its all downhill from here." *smile*

Comments, chocolate covered Jedi, hiding places from Lucas and secrets for passing finals entirely welcome and hoped for. I hope everyone enjoyed. *smile* Hugs to all!



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters (Shal-Nyx, K'yllyn, Annah, and Clira) are the creation and property of the author and Caeryn Myer. The storyline and the actual story are the property of the author .


"In the history of this great Order, there is rarely space for mavericks and revolutionaries. It's funny, having to defend yourself against a couple thousand years of tradition simply because you're too damned Wookie-headed for your own good. I can only hope that whatever Master you get can teach you to be a better Jedi than I or your father could ever be, and that in the gift of your legacy you find strength and perseverance.

"It's with a heavy hearted apology that I try to offer this rather feeble explanation for the circumstances of your birth. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that the Force only occasionally blesses us with the foresight to see our future and the impact our actions have on said future. Clearly, in the mind of an ambitious Jedi Knight with a penchant for trouble making, children were never an assumed factor. And yet, there you are, reading this letter.

"The miracle will be if you ever actually see this letter, and if you do, I wish you luck with Yoda and the Council. (Yes, Master Yoda, I'm aware that you'll see this, but you really have to ask the question: where do you draw the line between masterly concern and outright interference?) The knowledge of your actual origin is bound to cause a stir, and once again I feel the urge to apologise for the subterfuge. It is believed to be in your best interest to hide your true identity, and I hope this belief holds true as time goes on. The people you were raised by are as much your family as I and your father are; the revelation that Crys Stoforn is not your actual mother should not change how you feel about her. Which is not to say that we didn't want you. I think about you often, hoping that you are healthy and happy, and find myself wishing (fruitlessly) that I could be with you, to give you what I know I can't. To be a mother to you.

"But obviously, this never happened. My role in your life has been reduced to an incidental entry in the Jedi archives, probably just another Master to a younger generation of Jedi. Learn what you can of my own life, of my own legacy. If, by some stroke of luck, I'm still living by the time you read this, seek me out.

"There is so much that could be said here, but it's hard to know what that is. I find it a safe guess to assume your place amongst the Jedi, and hope that you may find a success in your life that will make you happy. I only wish I could have been there to see it, and want to say that I love you, despite my regretful actions in leaving you behind on Cas'hay. There are some things we must do as individuals that are for best of all, but haunt us for the rest of our lives, you being no exception. Beyond the shadow of a doubt did I treasure every moment I had in carrying you, I bear no sorrows in that. But for the sake of your name, your legacy and ours, did things happen as they did; happenings that I only hope time will vindicate as the proper actions."

"What are you doing, luv?"

Looking up from her work, not hiding her surprise, Shal-Nyx Cael blinked. " A letter."

"To whom?"

"Our son," she responded quietly, offering up the datapad.

Qui-Gon drew a long, suffering breath. Did he really want to see what she wrote, to see some kind of morbid summary of what they had been through? Taking the datapad in a large hand, turning it towards him, he hesitated. "Why?"

"Because my conscience won't let me move on without some final, arguably hollow, piece of closure."

"How can we insure this ever getting to him, Shala?"

Scratching errantly at the fabric still bound around her arm, she shrugged. "Place it with someone who knows and will arguably be around when he's old enough to find out."

Qui-Gon's expression grew notably incredulous. "Mace or Yoda?"

"Well, I would prefer Mace, but Yoda seems bound and determined to outlive us all."

"He'll never go for it."

"Why not?"

He pointed to a paragraph. "Because lines like this will not go over very well with him."

Shal-Nyx smiled slightly, the expression about equal to her ask-me-if-I-care look. "Doesn't mean he can deny me this one luxury."

"Probably not, but still, the fact remains that they're not going to change their position on the whole mess any time soon."

"I'll change it, but only if you want me to."

Qui-Gon paused. He liked the letter in front of him, it expressed many things he himself wished to say. Censoring it, it seemed, would be equivalent to slapping a gag on his own thoughts, something that he hated to do, despite his potentially wiser action of not putting those thoughts to written expression.

"It's perfect the way it is."


"K'yllyn, that hurts."

Raising her head with a huff, the water sloshing at their shoulders, she wrinkled her nose. "You can’t tell me that that is sore."

Obi-Wan puckered a lip playfully, pushing a wet lock off her face. "Well, everything is pretty achy… "

"This from the man who can smash into a wall and not wince. So what can I do?"

Shifting in the tub, adjusting his leg so he could rest his foot on the edge, Obi-Wan smiled and leaned his head near the faucet. Trailing one hand up K'yllyn's back under the lightly scented water, the other still hooked around her hip, he felt her shudder under his fingertips.

Three hours ago she had drawn a hot bath and shoved him into the bathroom, ordering him to relax. However, much to her poorly hidden delight, he had convinced her to join him, stripping her slowly of her robes and modesty, turning three hours of relaxing into a test of his endurance and a rather large puddle of spilled water on the tiled floor.

"How about if I'm a bit… " K'yllyn's voice trailed off as she dropped down in the warm water again, lightly caressing his nipple with her lips, "gentler." Feeling Obi-Wan's hand tighten on her back, she smiled slightly and leaned in, suckling at the tweaked bud.

A groan escaping his lips, he dropped his head on the tub's raised edge, managing to murmur "Ooh, that's lovely."

Smiling to herself, she let her tongue dance across the nerves a little while longer before raising herself back up, her chest flattening against his muscled one, the water brushing at her back again.

Eyes half-open, the blue-green irises watching with obvious interest, he bucked his hips a little, giving her a full feel of just how interested he was. "I may have to change my definition of rest after this little excursion."

Slipping a hand down between them, her fingers settling between his legs, she heard him gasp and then moan, to which she smiled wickedly. "Well, barring certain exceptions, you are pretty relaxed."

"I'd like to further explore that exception… "

The door chimed.

"Shit."

With a roll of her eyes, K'yllyn released her hand and kissed Obi-Wan quickly. "To be continued." Hauling herself out of the tub and pulling a robe around herself, she made her way across the room and keyed open the door, smiling as she recognised Kelso Raend standing outside in the hall.

"I have good news." Holding up a vial, Raend smiled back.

Obi-Wan emerged from the back of the quarters in pants and one undertunic, toweling off his hair. "I'm hoping that's the serum, Raend."

The healer nodded and stepped inside the quarters. "Yes, it is. Sit down and we'll take care of you."

Coming back over to Obi-Wan's side, kissing his temple, K'yllyn kept herself from giggling and rolled up one of his sleeves.

Obi-Wan gave her a dirty look. "I can do this myself, you know."

She patted his now bare arm. "I'm sure you can, m'dear. Good enough, healer?"

Raend stifled a laugh. The banter between the pair was entertaining, and pleasant to see considering all the problems they had been going through. Delving a hand into a pocket and withdrawing the small hypodermic, he kneeled in front of the younger man, taking a second to draw the serum into the chamber. "This may hurt a little."


"Ooow."

Qui-Gon winced. Shal-Nyx's fingers had a death grip on his hand, squeezing them to the point of pain. "Let go of my hand, Shala."

"It hurts, eh?" Her voice was a growl, which made Raend nearly back away from his work.

"Shal-Nyx, if you move it will only make it worse."

Seeing the look of displeasure in Qui-Gon's blue eyes, she bit her lip and blew out a flustered breath. Both mentally and physically stilling herself, she quietly grumbled, "Yes, healer."

It would do no good to fight, despite the burning of the serum as it began to course through her veins. The pain itself was tolerable, something easily ignored by a normal Jedi, but in her state of wavering health, it was more of a struggle.

Scooting slightly closer, his hip brushing against hers, Qui-Gon brought his face next to hers, his hair tickling her forehead. "I hate to seem unsympathetic, pet, but would you please let go of my hand?"

Shal-Nyx waited until the needle was actually pulled from her arm, Raend backing away to get a blot of cloth to catch the trickle of blood. Releasing Qui-Gon's large hand and leaning back against the couch, she closed her eyes. "So now what?"

Reaching back for her arm, Raend drew a breath. "If my research is correct, you should be feeling better in a few hours, but I can't guarantee this as a cure. You may relapse yet."

She winced as her arm was finally freed from the irritating tube. "To each her own fate." Taking hold of the hand she had been crushing a few moments earlier, she raised it to her lips, kissing each finger tenderly.

Qui-Gon and Raend exchanged looks, a knowing smile touching the healer's face. "She may be a bit tired, but that's fine. If there are any further problems, please let me know."

"Absolutely, Healer Raend, and thank you."

"It's my duty and pleasure."


"'….whisper to my baby when the lights go down, I'm going to lay down and shimmy….'"

Passing by the couch, carrying a pile of dirty linens, he paused his singing and smiled at the sight of Shal-Nyx laying on her side, sound asleep, curled around a pillow, her legs and hips tucked under a blanket.

"'….I'm going to sing when I'm happy, I moan when I'm blue, then I'll do it all over, do it all over you….'"

It had been over twenty-four hours now, and she was showing signs of improvement. She could now sleep without being caught up in the dreams, the dark circles under her eyes fading to a healthy hue. Her attitude was better now; Qui-Gon could tell just by the way she held her gaze that the harsh fire of irrationality had flared out, leaving the woman he knew and loved behind.

~Now,~ he mused, ~I won't have to have my hand healed a third time.~

"I heard that," she murmured from the couch.

"Go back to sleep, pet. Your appointment isn't for another few hours."

There was a murmuring purr and a quiet "Yes, Master," from the couch.

Qui-Gon chuckled. ~Much better.~ Picking up the datapad with the appointment information, he looked over it again. It seemed simple and straightforward enough. The text was the confirmation of Shal-Nyx accepting a Padawan learner, an arrangement for the final meeting that would set one of the thirteen-year-olds in the Temple onto their path towards Knighthood.

Even though it didn't say it, Qui-Gon suspected it was about Annah Shelsi, the girl Mace had told him about. The same girl, who only a few days ago, had gotten into trouble for getting into a fight with another initiate.

With a shrug he set down the datapad, pausing only to lean down and kiss Shal-Nyx on her upturned cheek. ~A troublemaker for a troublemaker, it's fitting.~

With lightning speed, her hand flew up, hooking around his neck, pulling Qui-Gon the rest of the way down.

Laughing as she closed the distance between them, he managed "Now, luv, you're supposed to be resting… luv!"

Holding his face mere centimetres away from hers, the tip of his nose brushing her cheek, she smiled. "I'll teach you how to shimmy." Using the tip of her tongue to tickle his lips, Shal-Nyx's efforts were rewarded when Qui-Gon shifted suddenly, crushing his mouth against hers, moving to lay atop of her, pushing the pillow to the ground.

Feeling her giggle into his mouth, he stopped suddenly, backing away, giving her a mockingly stern look. "Are you sure you're up to this?"

Shal-Nyx snorted. "Hah. My endurance is hardly an issue… now yours… "

"Oooh, I think I can keep… " Pausing for dramatic effect, Qui-Gon ran his hand slowly down her front, savouring the curves, "up."


"Parry back, Anakin!"

Brandishing his lightsabre, the boy wiped sweat off his brow and charged forward, arcing the low powered 'sabre across his left shoulder, coming up on his opponent with surprising speed.

Jumping back in alarm, Irain Al-Dara blocked the blow and sidestepped, watching Anakin Skywalker use his momentum to breeze right by the girl, coming to a stop just inside the circle. With a flustered huff, he feigned to the right and came towards Irain, watching as she moved to match his movements, grabbing the opportunity to drop down and swing his leg out, knocking her to the floor.

K'yllyn nudged Obi-Wan in the ribs. "I've seen that move before."

Obi-Wan shrugged and gave her a private, wry grin. "Yeah, I was taught well."

"That goes without sayin-- Irain! Anticipate Ani's move! Which side is he coming in on?"

The grin lost its secrecy. "Was it not too long ago that we were the ones getting yelled at?"

Resisting the urge to walk out into the ring and show Irain the proper move, K'yllyn nodded. "Sure was."

"But you were worse."

"Don't push your luck, Obi-Wan, or I'll make you disobey the healer's 'rest' orders and get in that ring with me."

Tucking his arms in his robe, Obi-Wan shook his head. Now he really couldn't fake his way out of anything; K'yllyn would argue, and she was probably right, that by genetics alone, he had the ability to outlast most of his peers. It was a lot to live up to, but all things considered, it was worth the effort.

"Don't fight the flow, Irain! Make it work for you!"

~Dinner tonight?~

K'yllyn turned to regard his blue-green eyes. With a smile and a lick of her lips, she said, "Yes, and dessert, too."

There was a significant pause before Obi-Wan spoke again. "Shower?"

"Bath."

He swallowed and tried to pay attention to the apprentices in the sparring ring, which was becoming increasingly more difficult as his thoughts wandered across the potential fun involving a bathtub, some candles, good Alderaan wine and incense.

~Now, now, if you think about it too much, Anakin will get suspicious.~

"Oh, yeah. Anakin, watch that opening!"

The boy looked up, surprised. "What opening, Master?"

Covering her mouth with her hands, K'yllyn tried to not laugh out loud. ~Okay, my bad, I shouldn't have distracted you.~

Raising an eyebrow at her, Obi-Wan softly said, "Now you notice."

Tears were streaming down her cheeks as she tried to regain her composure.

The doors to the large exercise room parted, admitting the distinct presence of Mace Windu. Both apprentices immediately stopped their match and dropped to one knee, bowing. Obi-Wan and K'yllyn turned to face the Council member, both bowing deeply at their waists, K'yllyn snatching the opportunity to wipe the tears from her face.

"Master Windu, how can we help you?"

Hiding the wistful smile on his face, Mace walked straight through the ring, nodding briefly to the two teenagers as he passed, then stopped to stand in front of Obi-Wan. "I have something of yours."

The surprise was entirely unhidden in the Knight's aquamarine eyes. "Master Windu?"

Wordlessly extending his hand, a datapad held between his fingers, the dark skinned Jedi offered the object up.

Taking it cautiously, noting that the datapad was old, one of the styles from at least ten years back, Obi-Wan turned the screen so he could see it, a hesitation in his gestures. K'yllyn, stepping up behind him, peered over to catch a glimpse. Mouthing the first few words, she stopped suddenly, looking straight at Mace Windu.

The Jedi Master nodded simply, suppressing his own rising memories. "Yoda wanted you to have this, but for the sake of old friends I asked that I could bring it to you." There was a pause. "This belongs to you, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and with your permission, I'll leave you two alone now."

Obi-Wan nodded numbly, missing the smooth headed Master as he bent down next to the apprentices and encouraged them to the showers, leaving the pair of Knights alone.

K'yllyn wrapped an arm around Obi-Wan, resting her head against his shoulder. She could feel her throat tighten, a lump forming as her eyes darted over the words.

Twining his fingers with hers, he leaned down, kissed her on the forehead and took a breath, preparing to read it out loud.

"'In the history of this great Order, there is rarely space for mavericks and revolutionaries. It's funny, having to defend yourself against a couple thousand years of tradition simply because you're too damned Wookie-headed for your own good. I can only hope that whatever Master you get can teach you to be a better Jedi than I or your father could ever be, and that in the gift of your legacy you find strength and perseverance….'"


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||