SECRET FEAR: Part 1

by:  Libby
E-mail address with held at author's request.
Any feedback to:  tpool@unbounded.com
and it will be passed on to the author



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


"I will miss you Master." Anikan said looking up at his new mentor. It had been 4 months since the Naboo conflict. Anikan would be a Jedi. And would be trained by Obi-Wan Kenobi. But before he would become his apprentice he would become a student for the younger children in the initiate parts of the temple. He would meet other boys and girls like him. And when he was 12 he would become a padawan learner to Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Knight that killed the dreaded Sith.

"I will miss you too young one, but I will see you from time to time." Obi-Wan said bending down. "You know that. It isn't forever." Obi-Wan smiled. "But for now you go with the other Masters and meet some friends and learn…learn all you can." Anikan nodded.

"Yes master." He said with a smile, And then the two parted ways.

Obi-Wan began to walk back to now his apartment in the temple. Over this past 4 months he had become close to Anikan. But was still apprehensive in taking him as a padawan. But he would any way; he had given his word. As he walked the temple halls he could not help miss his old life. Now he was a knight, no longer an apprentice. No longer the learner, now the teacher. The thought was almost scary, but yet it was his life. It was what his dearest mentor had helped him achieve. Only he was not here to see him in his glory. He was dead.

He would be going solo for a while now. It sounded almost odd; he had been everywhere with Qui-Gon Jinn. Always watching and observing. Soon he would be the one Anikan would observe, he would take Qui-Gon's place in rank. Anikan still had 3 years left, so those 3 years Obi-Wan would do solo missions. Occasionally returning to check on the boy's progress, and some lessons of their own. Mainly adjusting to each other. Forming a bond that was just now in the works.

Obi-Wan didn't know what mission was awaiting him. He knew that the Council would call upon him soon and his first solo mission would begin. But for now home. His brand new apartment he had just settled in. Soon he would share it with Anikan, but not yet. He had been moved from his old. Now occupied by another Master and Apprentice. He wasn't sure of their names. He wished very much to stay where he was. But Master Windu and others had thought best he not stay in a place that reminded him to much of a troubled past. Deep down inside, that insulted Obi-Wan. It made him angry, he dare not show it.

He arrived to his new quarters and pushed in the key. As the door slid open Obi-Wan drew his breath. He felt so unlike himself. With out his master… "NO" Obi-Wan said to himself. "Don't think about him."

He walked in and hurriedly removed his cloak, boots and belt. Stripping off his tunics and stopping at the last layer. He sprawled out on his bed and closed his eyes tight. He opened them slowly, and stared at the ceiling. He couldn't help it. He missed his master.

He was ready to become a knight. That was certain. But it was the thought that it was Master Yoda that had removed his braid, and not Qui-Gon, who had, that tore his heart out. The fact that he couldn't save Qui-Gon. It was because of his not being quick enough that his master had died. Though others told him no…it wasn't his fault. Obi-Wan was convinced that if he had just been one step faster. One step wiser, his master would now be alive. He would see Obi-Wan as a knight. Anikan, would become Qui-Gon's new padawan, not his.

He rolled over to his stomach and growled at himself. He couldn't stop these feelings. They haunted him in sleep and in wake. And he was not fooling any one; Yoda and the Council knew his feelings of guilt and insecurity. The missions were to solve these feelings. Obi-Wan hoped they would. And with that thought he let himself close his eyes and sleep.


Obi-Wan stood before the council. They had called him earlier that day to a sign him to his first solo mission. For a moment there was silence as he stood there. The bright sun shone in almost blocking Obi-Wan's view. But he could see the eyes that bore into him.

"Young Knight Kenobi we hope it is not to early for this meeting." Mace Windu asked a smile creeping through his features. Obi-Wan smiled to, a warm memory coming to mind.

"Yes Master, I am prepared for my assignment."

"Anxious you are, to start, anxious." Master Yoda said thoughtfully. Obi-Wan's eyes went straight to his feet. But he quickly recovered them to meet Yoda's inquiring gaze.

"In ways Master. When I am busy I find myself at peace."

"From your thoughts?" Yoda asked bringing his small finger to his chin.

Obi-Wan hesitated, "Yes." He said. Yoda looked over at Mace then back to Obi-Wan. But Obi-Wan thought wise to speak quickly and carefully.

"I will never forget Qui-Gon. What he has taught me I will carry with me always. Yes, I am lonely and yes, I want him to be here. But I am ready to go this road alone. I am ready to gain experience and wisdom and I will soon be ready to train my own. I am ready for the assignment."

At this Mace Windu straitened in his chair, "Then we shall tell you." He said. He pushed a button on his chair a hologram of a planet appeared.

"This is the planet of Jarual, in the Jall system. In this system as you know there are 4 other planets. This is the less populated and is mostly self governed. It is basically the outcast planet. They do not regularly stay in contact with the republic or the other planets. What else do you know about it Obi-Wan?" Windu asked looking sharply at Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan sighed. "Not much, that it is mostly controlled by a wealthy monarchy. But little is known about their way of life. But I know that the planet itself is very beautiful, but has little trade. From what I here it appears to be peaceful." Obi-Wan finished with folding his arms. Looking at the masters for approval.

"That is what we also thought. Until two days ago we received a transmission. We would like you to view it." Mace said and pushed another button. Replacing the planet came a screen, static at first filled the screen then finally a room appeared and their stood a woman.

She seemed to be about Obi-Wan's age. Maybe a year or two younger, she was dressed in a nice purple dress but had been torn and had become dirty. She had been beaten a black eye and a busted mouth made it evident. Her brown-red hair that draped her face was wild and loose. She tried to stand strait but it was evident of her pain.

"Council of the Jedi, hear my plea. My name is Lady La'Lisia Sven. As you know I am the youngest sister of the Queen of my planet Jarual. Her Highness and her husband have been brutally murdered. Our planet is under distress. These rebels have taken over our planet completely. They have been here for over a year, holding the royal family in prison. They have recently executed my sister, her husband, his mother and my father. The only reason that the King's son, of the age of 4, and I are alive is one of the lady rebels took a liking to him and ordered me to be a nanny to him. We have been here in this household for nearly a month. They beat us terribly including the boy.

"But they also have taken the planet. Changing the government, most have lost there money, homes even. Many are dying from sickness. Many have tried to regain the throne but there are so many of them. They are everywhere." The woman began to cry. "I have no idea what to do. I am the only royal member left except the boy. I have no more time. Please come and save us. Before we all die. Before it's too late. I live in a small hut beside the main house. I will send you the coordinates. My "masters" have left for a while. They are stupid and left me in charge of their house. Thinking I am too weak.

"I can hide one man. One Jedi, Please Council the future of our planet is in your hands. I will be waiting."

And with that the transmission ended. The message had stunned Obi-Wan.

"You want me to go." He said looking directly at Master Yoda.

"Yes, go you should. Meet this girl. Go undercover you will and verify her story." Yoda said.

"And if it is true?" Obi-Wan asked.

"Then contact us. We will guide you from there."

"But there is a lot at risk. What if those people return and see me. What shall I do, and how will I land on the planet?" Obi-Wan asked shifting his gaze to the other council members.

"We have contacted the government. They are acting, as there is no rebellion. That nothing has happened. We supposedly spoke to the commander of their army. He told us that these allegations were untrue. But we all sense he was lying to us. We told him that we were sending a Jedi for leave. That you had been injured and were being sent there for relaxation purposes. They couldn't disagree it would sound suspicious. They agreed to host you for a couple if days. That is enough time for you to find what you need."

"But masters that was untrue I am not injured." Obi-Wan said looking again at Master Yoda.

"Yes, you are injured, you suffer from an injured soul. The planet's landscape should relax it. Quiet your thoughts and regrets." Yoda said in return. "In the meantime you will find this Lady La'Lisia. You will find if these allegations of rebellion are true. You shall contact us form there."

"When you arrive on the planet you will have a guide to direct you to your guest quarters. I believe the name was Kirfter Jan." Deepa Biliba said.

"You leave tomorrow at noon. The trip takes about 9 hours. May the force be with you Obi-Wan." Mace said. Obi-Wan knew he was being dismissed though he had many more questions.

"And with you." He managed to say, and with a bow he left.


"I don't want you to go. I will be lonely." Anikan said as he said his goodbye to his master. Obi-Wan shook his head.

"Haven't you met any friends since yesterday?" he asked.

"Yes. But they don't understand. They're all older than I am. They think I am spoiled."

"That isn't very Jedi like." Obi-Wan said smiling. "But they will get over that once they see how wonderful you are, just study hard and I will back in a couple of days."

"I bet that is what Master Qui-Gon said before Naboo." Anikan said looking down. Obi-Wan raised his eyebrows at that. The words shocked him. Just the mention of Qui-Gon's name made his heart wrench, to hear such a statement from the boy.

"Anikan, what are you afraid of?" he asked.

"You dying." Anikan said looking up into and through Obi-Wan.

"Don't fear death Anikan. Understand it." Obi-Wan said. Anikan looked at him strangely, "You will understand in time. But for now I must go. Your place is here for now." He gave the boy a tight hug and let him go back to his quarters.

Obi-Wan sat there for a while in the hall. Thinking about this mission and how odd it was. How abruptly the Council was acting for sending him to this planet. No information, with dangerous rebels about, how was he to find the woman. He knew where she was. But Obi-Wan still couldn't see how he could possibly help her, or the Prince. The young boy was only 4.

In a way, Obi-Wan was almost frightened. No, he knew nothing of fear but only peace. Then why were his hands trembling?

He stood looking forward. Trying to wrap himself in a wall of assurance. He would succeed. He was a Jedi; He would honor his Master with his life.


When Obi-Wan had boarded his transport to the planet he retained from conversation. He wanted to basically keep to himself. The little people knew about him the easier this mission would be.

Anyway, there weren't many people of importance on the ship. Mainly just ordinary middle class people traveling to the Jan system for a vacation or sort. The whole star system had the most beautiful planets in the galaxy. But he was the only passenger out of the 81(including crew) who was going to Jaraul. He would take a smaller ship down there, self-piloted.

Every thing seemed so suspicious, not in its right place. It made Obi-Wan feel uncomfortable. Even the Council seemed so.

"Jedi Kenobi!" a female voice said from behind him. He turned to see a woman, about in her 50's staring strait at him. She wore decent clothing and had a desperate twinkle in her eye.

"Yes. How can I be of assistance?" he asked turning to face her.

"You are going to Jarual? The planet of many mistakes?" She asked, coming a step closer.

"Yes my lady, Jarual is my destination. But I know nothing about this planet of many mistakes you speak of." Obi-Wan said politely keeping a blanket of control and dignity around him tightly.

"That planet, I was born. I left not to long ago, to come for a better life. People die everyday." She said sadly.

"I here that you go there for rest, but you will find only deception. I send you this warning, and heed its tidings; there is no more life there. Everything is a mask."

"What do you mean? What is this deception you speak of?" Obi-Wan asked, butterflies raging in his stomach.

"There are many deceptions, you are a Jedi Knight, go and see for yourself." And with that the woman left, and Obi-Wan was alone once again.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||