SABÉ'S JOURNAL: Part 3

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


When I got up from my slumber, the "morning after" regrets began setting in. Rabe and Eirtae were not going to ask about the events of the night, but I knew they were dying to. They kept giving me those kind of looks. I had the feeling it had to be addressed sooner or later, I was going to make it later if possible. To that end, I planned to hide in the Royal bedchambers until Panaka or Padme called me out.

Panaka finally decided to come in and talk to me. He sent the other two handmaidens out, so we could speak freely. He paced back and forth. I realized that I was the only one he felt he could talk to on the ship. We not only had a long standing relationship, but he could not unload on any of the men under his command present. If he did, he would risk appearing uncertain and weak.

"Sabé, the Jedi keeps coming up with crazy plans and putting us all in a situation that goes from bad to worse," he fumed. "Now he's bet the Queen's ship on the entry fee to enter some kid in a pod race! That apprentice didn't even tell me, I overheard it as they spoke on the comlink. It's an awful long shot that a human can pod race at all, much less win."

I let him go on, while I nodded sympathetically. That was all he really needed, just to blow off steam. Like myself, he hated having no control over the mess we were in. I knew Amidala was none too pleased either, but what else was to be done? If it all did work out, I wanted to meet this boy. If a droid could be rewarded for what it was programmed to do, how much more did a child who was not even of the Naboo deserve our gratitude?

When the Captain had finished and left me, I pulled some files from the small library on board. I looked up what little there was on the Jedi, finally found a reference for Qui-Gon Jinn. He seemed to have a record of being a risk-taker, but I noted, he was successful more often than not. I had to hope his trend worked in our favor.

I passed the time by doing some simple exercises and reading more from the library. Later that day, the Queen did arrive, with the good news. The boy had won the race! We would soon be operational again. We were just waiting for the Jedi Master to finish some last errands. Amidala was in and out of the chambers, and indicated she thought I should make an appearance soon, so I started to get the gown on before I called Rabe and Eirtae to help. While doing this, I began trying to decide what to tell the Queen. Seeing her here made me realize how what I had done could be awkward for her. After all, what if Obi-Wan tried to approach her for another encounter, assuming this was the same person he had broken in, as it were.

I was almost ready, and I was waiting for the right quiet moment to tell Amidala about what had happened last night, when suddenly chaos broke out. I heard a scuffle, voices, someone shouting that we must take off. The ship rose and moved about, I almost lost my balance and fell down. I was about to go and see what the problem was, when Amidala, Rabe and Eirtae rushed in.

"There's a fight, we're trying to pick up the Master and get out of here," Amidala shouted to me. "Just find a seat and wait, Your Highness." I nodded to indicate that I understood.

The altercation passed quickly. Qui-Gon made it safely onboard. It was time for us to have another meeting and get our bearings.

When Amidala was ready to continue as Padme in her orange handmaiden gown, we went to the throne room to get a report. Panaka and the Jedi were waiting, along with a boy, the one who helped us, I assumed. The Master gave me a brief summary of the events on the planet and then brought the boy forward to take his share of the credit.

Anakin was extremely charming and respectful. When I heard he was a slave, my heart went out to the child. It seemed only right that we were taking him to a life that had to be better than what he was leaving. He was still wearing his simple slave clothing, and since he had just traveled through some rough ground, he had the dirt of the road on him. I stifled an urge to humorously order Padme to clean this boy up now. Even on a good day, I could only go so far. I thanked him on behalf of Naboo, and promised that when our crisis was past, I would find a way to reward him. Amidala was in a far corner, and I could see that she approved of the idea.

The general meeting over, I announced that I was ready to take Padme's report, and everyone else could be dismissed. Panaka, Anakin and the Jedi bowed and left. I was relieved that Obi-Wan had done nothing to even hint at our activities as yet. I felt I better cover myself as soon as possible anyway.

Rabe and Eirtae didn't move. I cleared my throat. "Um, you two may go," I said. Reluctantly they left, their eyes telling me that they expected to hear all about last night some time soon.

Amidala noticed the looks they gave me. She stood there, confused. I stepped down off the throne, and bent on one knee to her. "Your Highness, I have a confession to make. While in your identity, I...took liberties that I should not have. I beg forgiveness, and apologize for any problems my actions may cause. I will accept any discipline you deem appropriate"

Her expression changed instantly. She did not need the white face now, there was no doubt as to who was the Queen. She stepped up and sat on the throne. In her court voice, she said, "Rise handmaiden and explain the nature of these liberties."

I rose and looked her straight in the eye. "Your Highness, last night in this throne room, the young Jedi Padawan and I were sexually intimate. He thought I was you, and I did not correct him."

The Queen was silent, deep in thought for what seemed like a long time. At last, she spoke, "We believe that there will be no serious consequences from your actions. This seems to be the nature of the Jedi. Last night, the Master engaged in similar behavior with the boy's mother." Almost breaking character, she speculated, "We wonder if they use the Force in these matters."

"Most certainly, Your Highness," I affirmed. We both nearly laughed at that. I could tell that I was close to being off the hook.

Amidala straightened back up and finished her hearing. "Handmaiden, although we will not discipline you this time, we do expect you to behave in a responsible manner while on duty. You will control your passions and no longer indulge in these activities while acting on my behalf or in my identity. In your own identity and off duty, your business is your own. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Your Highness. Thank you for your leniency." I bowed low, knowing that I caught a break with having a young Queen to work for.

She stepped off the throne, and then my friend was back at my side, with wide curious eyes. "So, Sabé...you're going to tell me about it?"

After I related what I could explain in words to Amidala, we walked back to join the other handmaidens in the bedchamber. We were very silent, and could hear a portion of the Jedi's conversation.

The deeper voice of the Master was colored with a tone I could almost call amused. "She's fourteen, you know."

There was a sound like an expelling of a mouthful of liquid, followed by the choking voice of the Padawan. "Master?"

We covered our mouths to quiet our laughter, and moved on.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||