CONNECTION: Part 8

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Obi-Wan looked at her, still startled. Clearing his throat, he spoke. "I could spare one dance, perhaps." He looked over Lirae, seeking Sabé once again. Their eyes met for a second. Sabé inclined her head in acknowledgment, but gave no sign of her emotion.

Obi-Wan took Lirae in his arms and began the waltz. He focused his attention on the Handmaiden and her emanations. Although her physical charms were quite distracting, there was something about her that made him uncomfortable. He was looking for what it could be, but he was not able to pinpoint it yet.

"I'm sure a man such as you must have been through some terrible fights. You are so brave the way you helped us and our world," Lirae cooed.

Obi-Wan nodded, and answered all her fawning with noncommittal phrases. He wanted nothing more than to fulfill his social obligation and move past this woman.

Sabé was gazing around the ballroom with a look of boredom on her face. She moved closer to Sache.

"Handmaiden, didn't you say something to me just the other day about getting into circulation?"

"Indeed I did, Minister," Sache replied in the same detached tone. However, her eyes were betraying her amusement. She could hardly wait to see what Sabé had in store.

"It involved getting out and having fun, if I remember correctly."

"That's exactly what it involved, Minister."

"I thought so, Handmaiden. So tell me, which of the guards is the best dancer?" Sabé asked.

"On the dance floor or behind closed doors?" The gleam in Sache's eyes turned wicked.

"Both," Sabé answered curtly.

"If I were in your position, I would choose Holben, second on the left there. He should meet your needs quite nicely," Sache said.

"Thank you," Sabé responded. She looked at Holben, who was very attractive. Blond hair, blue eyes, tanned and muscular, he was second only to Obi-Wan in the amount of attention received from unattached females in the room. Sabé smiled, nodded to Amidala, and stepped down from the platform to cut a path through the crowd, straight to him.

The Queen signaled to Rabe, she leaned down and listened attentively as Amidala whispered something. The handmaiden grinned, then conveyed the message to the orchestra.

The musical number that had been playing was ending as Sabé reached the guard. The small group around him parted, clearing the way for the Minister. Everyone was surprised at this unexpected move.

Sabé reached out her hand to Holben. "May I have the pleasure of the next dance?" she asked.

The young guard was taken aback at her request, but smiled broadly as he took her hand. "The pleasure is certainly all mine, Minister." He turned back toward his friends as the pair made their way to the dance floor with a see-what-I-got-you-can't-have-any look on his face.

The music started up for the next dance, another smooth waltz. Obi-Wan started to excuse himself when he saw Sabé and Holben begin. So, she seemed to want to play games, he thought to himself.

"Perhaps another dance, Lirae."

"Ooooh, I'd love that," the handmaiden purred.

Sabé listened to Holben as chatted about the latest speeders, and surfing on the best beaches of Naboo. She smiled politely and responded in the right places. All the while, her glance would dart around to check on Obi-Wan and Lirae's place on the floor. She was more than a bit satisfied to see that the Jedi was less than comfortable with his current companion. His covert glances toward her proved that. She also caught sight of Captain Panaka beaming in approval of her dancing partner. He had never liked her relationship with Obi-Wan, so he was quite happy that she was with one of his guards. Poor,dear,family friend Panaka, she thought. If only he knew what she had in mind.

It wasn't long before the waltz ended and the band leader announced the next number.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, our next dance will require picking up the pace a bit. Please form circles for The Royal Round."

Everyone gasped as Amidala rose, and stepped to the dance floor. Even though the dance was called The Royal Round, seldom did the monarch actually participate. She gestured to Governor Bibble to join her, and they took position.

As Lirae moved Obi-Wan into position, he asked, "What's this dance? I'm not familiar with it."

"It's an old court dance," Lirae said. "Men on the outside circle, women on the inside to start, but we'll do a kind of weave in and out. You'll go to the right, we'll go to the left. clasp hands with each one and do an inside step as you pass. It's very simple, don't worry. It'll start slowly, then the tempo will pick up. It's fun, but I will say, I don't like sharing you. I was hoping to get to know you better tonight." She winked and smiled alluringly, shaking her shoulders to position her cloak back and give Obi-Wan a better view of her cleavage.

Obi-Wan responded with a half grin. Now he knew he wanted to ditch this girl. The last thing he needed was to end up with another child on Naboo.

//Is that sweat I see forming on your brow?// came into his mind. He shifted his look to the part of the circle where Sabé was standing with Holben.

//Sabé?// He was surprised by the contact. It was the first time she had lowered her shields to him in two years.

//Yes, it's me. Do you want out of this?//

//I'd like nothing better// He responded.

Lirae sensed there was something going on, she looked from Obi-Wan to Sabé, and back again.

//Do you still trust me?// Sabé asked.

Now that he had calmed down from the news of Meira and the concealment of her paternity, Obi-Wan realized that he did want to trust her, even needed to, for some reason.

//Yes,// he sent back.

//Then just do the dance. I'll take care of the rest.//

The music began, and all the spectator's eyes were on Amidala in her beautiful elaborate gown, as she appeared to float across the dance floor. She was a vision in the blue and green jeweltones with iridescent ruffles. Her movement recalled the grace and beauty of a tropical bird.

Checking the positions of those in the circle, Sabé decided to take a different place.

"Holben, let's go stand between Rabe and Rowan and Eirtae and Max. I haven't been able to talk to them much tonight," Sabé suggested.

"As you wish, Minister," he said, leading her to the spot.

The music started. Lirae showed Obi-Wan the required step, which was really quite simple. The pace started slowly enough that everyone had a chance to practice a step or two before it picked up very much.

The circle moved, and Obi-Wan found that he was changing partners fairly often. After a few changes, he suddenly faced Sabé's mother, Raisa. She was studying the Jedi with a hard, appraising look.

"Madame Ambassador, is anything wrong?" Obi-Wan asked, with great apprehension.

"No, nothing's wrong Jedi. I was wondering what you're doing with my granddaughter's eyes," she said in a low voice, just before the change.

Amidala began adding a few simple variations to the dance as the pace quickened. Her brilliant dress caught the light and made her appear all the more fantastic. She was the center of attention as Sabé met Obi-Wan at the edge of the circle near the balcony.

Sabé took Obi-Wan's hand. She looked to either side meeting Eirtae's and Rabe's eyes. They inclined their heads just slightly.

//Ready, Obi-Wan// Sabé sent.

//Past ready// he sent, accompanied by a sigh.

Amidala did a graceful turn, Sabé moved to the outside circle in the pass, grasped Obi-Wan's hand firmly, and pulled him with her past the curtain to the outside balcony.

Rabe and Eirtae closed up the hole left by the departing couple and continued the dance. Their partners stifled laughter and cooperated.

At the end, the circle broke up and the next number started. Amidala returned to her throne on the platform. Lirae and Holben were left wondering where their conquests had gone.

The spurned guard ogled the handmaiden and decided he didn't mind being abandoned by the Minister so much after all.

He strutted up to Lirae, full of confidence. "Care to dance?"

The handmaiden was fuming. "No, thank you," she said, dryly and stalked off the floor.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||