CONNECTION: Part 5

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


As Obi-Wan made his way back to the Palace, he was working at control of his emotions and considering his next move. He decided to get out of the city for a while. Just because he had been sent to Naboo, it didn't mean he had to stay in Theed. He would ask someone at the Palace where get some camping supplies and go to the forest for his rest and meditation.

There was a message waiting for him in the guest room when he arrived. He activated the holo.

Amidala in full court dress appeared, indicating that this was to be considered an official communication. "Jedi Kenobi, We are honored by your visit to Naboo during this time of remembrance and celebration. We invite you to be our guest at the parade, ceremony and ball that will take place in two days. Anticipating your acceptance, We are providing a set of traditional Naboo ceremonial garb for the ball. A final fitting can be done tomorrow. A schedule of events that We are attending is attached to this message, and We hope that you may accompany us during this time. We ask that you convey your response to the Palace Majordomo as soon as possible. We look forward to your participation and your company." The image faded.

Obi-Wan flung himself on the bed in frustration. Now he had to stay, at least through the ball.


In the morning, Sabé dropped Meira off at day care and sought out Rabe as soon as she could. The handmaiden could see the distress on her friend's face.

"Gods, Rabe! I made a mistake, I'm so stupid and naive. I can't believe I handled things so badly..."

"Wait, slow down. Are you talking about last night with Obi-Wan?"

"Yes," Sabé groaned. "I should have prepared him better. I thought once he saw her and how beautiful she is, everything would be all right. Now, he's run away, I'm sure he thinks I want to trap him, everything I didn't want to happen is going to happen anyway."

"First of all, stop beating yourself up. It doesn't suit you. Now is the time to plan damage control. I know Amidala is keeping him in town for the ceremonies and the ball. He's already asked the Majordomo about camping in the forest, so I think that's where he's planning to go afterward."

"Oh no, it's that bad! He's going to leave town?" Sabé despaired.

"Honey, he'd leave the planet if he could. It wouldn't have mattered how you broke the news to him, whether you wined and dined him or held a blaster to his head. It's perfectly normal, he's just been hit with something major and he needs to gather himself before he deals with it. He's a good man and a Jedi, he'll come back. What you have to take care of is what he comes back to. You have the advantage here, you know him and his tactics much better than he knows you and yours. So think, Warrior, what are you going to do?" Rabe counseled.

"This isn't a war, what do you mean?" Sabé asked.

"In a way it is, you and he are at opposing positions. What is one of the most important rules of engagement?" Rabe prompted.

"Don't attack unless there is no alternative," Sabé stated.

"Exactly. Keep that in mind, and you'll do fine. Now, come join us in the Queen's chamber, have some tea and calm your nerves for the day."


After Obi-Wan notified the Majordomo of his acceptance, he went to the fitting. The costume was a traditional sort of Naboo style, one that he, as a Jedi, found much too elaborate and fussy. He rolled his eyes at this nonsense when no one was looking.

Since he would not be needed for any events today, Obi-Wan started exploring the surrounding grounds. He found a facility that seemed to be a gym. Deciding to see if he could make good use of the place for his own training, he entered. He was recognized, made to feel welcome by the staff, given a temporary membership to the place.

As he wandered to see what he could use, he passed by a large practice arena. He was on the second floor, there was an observation deck overlooking the class area. He glanced down as he walked by. He then heard Sabé's voice, addressing a group, and did a double take. He stepped back so she would not have him in her line of sight and listened for a moment. She was very much in control and professional in her presentation. He was surprised that she was so effective for someone so young. He had to remind himself that just because she wasn't a Jedi didn't mean she couldn't be good at this kind of job. He moved on to the next area.

Sabé hesitated during her speech, shifted her gaze upward for a moment, and smiled.

"Did you see that? Ice Queen Calle actually smiled," one young student whispered to another.

"Drop Cadet, and give me twenty push ups immediately," Sabé ordered the commentator. She retained the hint of the expression for the remainder of the class.

When night came, Obi-Wan retreated to the quiet of his guest room. He left instructions that he was not to be disturbed, the only exception would be an emergency from the Temple.

He began his meditation. It was difficult to let go at first. As time went on, and he progressed, he felt himself moving toward what he needed. It held warmth, safety and acceptance. It promised the peace he had been seeking since his Master's passing. And Qui-Gon was present in the Force somewhere, expecting him, urging him on, but ever patient, waiting for him to be ready. Obi-Wan could almost touch it, nearly there....

Then it was gone. He cried out in exasperation.

The next morning was the busiest day of the year. It was the anniversary, and he was to follow Amidala around and be presented awards. He abhorred this kind of thing, it was unseemly and vain to a Jedi's sensibility. It was a duty he bore well though. He was glad that he was at least permitted his Jedi robes for these functions.

Sabé was nearby for much of the day, but they still did not interact. Her hands were full with the many details of the Queen's protection. Obi-Wan did steal the occasional glance at her, and he still wondered how she could choose the path for the child that she had.

The Grand Parade took place in the afternoon. It was almost a reenactment of the Victory Parade two years ago. This time Sabé was in a different place of honor on the marble platform. She was holding Meira and was accompanied by an older couple, Obi-Wan presumed they were her parents. He would look sideways once in a while, very discreetly, he was sure. But once, the woman at Sabé's side returned his glimpse with a thoughtful and appraising gaze. He kept watch on the parade after that.

Sabé and Meira were enjoying the parade, waving at the Gungans marching by. At last, the VIGs (Very Important Gungans)arrived,and Meira squealed with delight to see her friend, General Jar-Jar, dismount his Kaadu and march up the steps.

"Ja-Ja," she called out. The Gungan blew her a kiss, and stuck out his tongue. This earned a bout of laughter from most of the crowd and applause from Meira.

When all the honored guests had assembled, Amidala announced that the time had come to reveal the new statue.

"Jedi Kenobi, will you honor us by unveiling our new work?"

Obi-Wan nodded, and pulled on the rope that was shown to him.

The covering fell away, and there was Qui-Gon. A stylized depiction, but still clearly his master. The figure was standing with arms in the typical Jedi resting pose. The huge statue seemed to radiate serenity.

Obi-Wan was stunned.

A cheer rose from the crowd.

Meira threw her hands up in the air and shouted, "Yay, Big Jeddi!" The older woman next to her said, "Yes Dear, that's a very big Jedi." Sabé turned toward the woman and nodded, the corners of her mouth upturned just slightly.

Obi-Wan was having a difficult time with the realization that his master had been made into a cultural icon. He stared at the Queen, channeling his disapproval into that gaze. Amidala was unconcerned.

As soon as the ceremony was over, the Majordomo sidled up to the Jedi and let him know he had some free time before the ball. Obi-Wan was relieved and dreaded the event that was to come. He took off into the crowd as quickly as he could. He knew it was better that he not comment on the statue right now.


He began to browse among the vendors in the square. It occurred to him that it might be a good idea to get small gifts for Sabé and Meira before he went camping. He was examining a red silk scarf when he felt a ripple in the Force. He dropped the scarf and focused to find what was causing the disturbance.

It was Sabé, she was preparing to fight.

Quickly, Obi-Wan honed in, found the path to locate her, and took off across the square.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||