CONNECTION: Part 4

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com

Author's Notes:  Thanks again to Dandelow for advice. *smile*



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Obi-Wan sipped from the glass of water that Sabé had brought. He looked up at her, gathering his thoughts, deciding what question he should ask first.

"Why didn't you tell me?" His voice was wavering, attempting to project calm and control. Instead, it betrayed his budding anger and confusion.

Sabé crossed her arms and took a deep breath. With regret and pain, she answered, "You stopped talking to me, remember? And what would have been different? We weren't together, and weren't planning to be."

"How can you ask me that?" Obi-Wan asked, his tone growing increasingly impatient. "I would have done my duty and brought her to the Temple to be tested, perhaps trained. She might have been able to fulfill her destiny as a Jedi. You've denied her her birthright. Now, it's too late," He glanced at the girl still playing in her toybox. He knew had been cheated and he resented it. He was sure things would have been better his way.

Sabé countered him, growing irritated and defensive. "And how do you know her destiny is not fulfilled here? Naboo is her heritage as well. It's possible that if Amidala mentors her, she could be Queen one day. How can you think of denying her that?" She was astounded at his arrogance.

The toddler walked back from the toybox and stopped at a point centered between Obi-Wan and Sabé. She held aloft a cloth doll, dressed in a brown cloak.

"Big Jeddi say no!"

Having made this pronouncement, she made her way over to Obi-Wan.

Now calmer, Sabé continued, "She was tested. She qualified for the Temple. I chose not to send her. No one's taking my baby where she will be lost to me forever. Not even you, Obi-Wan." Ice was veiling her usual fire.

The tension between the two of them grew. They looked long and hard at one another.

Sabé broke the staring match. She indicated the child's position with a nod. Gently, she remarked, "She wants to play with you. Her name is Meira."

Obi-Wan looked down. Meira was holding up the brown mass of cloth to him. "Jeddi," she said again, offering the toy. Absentmindedly, he took it, and looked again at Sabé.

He sighed. "At least find someone that can stay and be a father to her."

Sabé's face turned red. She fought to maintain controlled tones. "Your daughter is happy, healthy and loved. We're doing just fine as we are. If the time is right and I find the right man, I can decide when I should add a father to this family. You assume too much." She turned away.

Obi-Wan looked down at the doll in his hand. It did appear to be a ragdoll of a Jedi. He pushed the hood back and saw its face. It had a beard and graying long hair, some of which was tied in the back.

It was Qui-Gon.

Stifling the rush of emotion running through him at that moment, Obi-Wan began searching for a reason to leave.

Perhaps Sabé sensed that. Still with her back to him, she began, "It's getting late, I have to work tomorrow." She suddenly seemed very tired. "If you want to visit her, you can anytime, just let me know in advance, please. I'll put your name on the list at Day Care."

"Thank You," he responded quickly. "I do have to be going. I'll see if I can take you up on that." He put the doll down and rose, walking toward the door. "I'll let myself out. Goodnight."

He was gone.

Meira went to her mother and tugged on her dress. "Maa? Uppy"

Sabé bent down to pick up the girl. She wiped her eyes with one hand and held the child in her other arm. Meira laid her head down on her mother's shoulder.

"That's my sweet girl," Sabé cooed, more to soothe herself than Meira.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||