CONNECTION: Part 3

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com

Author's Notes:  Thanks to Dandelow for a couple of character ideas. You'll know 'em when ou see 'em, Dande.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


It was twilight, one of the loveliest times of the day on Naboo. Obi-Wan showed up at the appointed time and scanned the area for Sabé. He didn't see her at first, he wasn't sure how she would look. When he did spot her, he was impressed.

She had changed out of her jumpsuit and tied up ponytail that she wore while training that day. Now, she was dressed in a simple gown, an off the shoulder sheath of deep brown silk, that flattered her figure. Her hair was just as elegant, arranged in an upswept style that called attention to her brown eyes and the fire smoldering in them.

"Welcome, Obi-Wan," Sabé smiled. "Shall I be your guide tonight?"

He flashed his charming smile. "I'd be honored." He held out his arm, and she gracefully placed her hand in the crook of his elbow.

As they walked, she pointed out the various statues and explained their meanings to the Jedi. They came to the one still covered. It was as tall as all the others, towering over all the people in the square.

"What's the new one?" Obi-Wan asked. "Another classic figure?"

Sabé gave him a slightly uncomfortable look. "I can't talk about it before it's unveiled. Let's just say it's one of our more recent heroes."

She led him to a nearby restaurant, a small place that catered to the palace hierarchy, staff and guests. For the evening hours, the lights were dimmed, and the tables illuminated with candles in votives. It gave the place a warm and intimate feel. Several booths could be holo curtained off for private meetings. Sabé nodded to the young man at the stand, who hastened to assist her.

"How may we be of aid to you tonight, Minister?"

She smiled warmly at the host. "We need one of the private booths. My guest and I are discussing matters of security training. Can you be a dear and set us up? I know, we didn't make reservations..."

"No problem, Minister Calle. Please, come right this way."

"Thank you, I know I can always count on you, Maglus."

The menus were brought. "I suggest the pasta with the Ochee. If you think you'd like that, I'll have Maglus choose a wine, he knows what's best in that department," Sabé offered. Her tones were cool and professional, her gaze never wavered from her study of Obi-Wan's expressions.

Obi-Wan knew this game and played it right back at her. "Thank you, Minister. I trust your judgment. The pasta it is."

The order was taken, drinks were brought and the opaque soundproof curtain raised.

"How is the situation on Naboo? I heard a bit of news about a small faction of dissidents," Obi-Wan began.

"All is well, thank you," she answered. "We stopped that before it got out of hand. If that's why you've come, you're too late. It's over."

Obi-Wan averted his gaze and began circling his finger around his glass. "That's not the reason I'm here, Minister." He looked her in the eyes. "I thought you got off of work some three hours ago."

She relaxed only slightly. "Occupational hazard. I'm rarely completely away from one duty or another."

"That's a pity," Obi-Wan commented, carefully maintaining a neutral tone.

"It's a condition that you, as a Jedi, should be familiar with. What does bring you here? Are you planning to participate in Naboo's anniversary celebration?" Sabé asked.

"That's not what I came for, but I will join in the festivities if the Queen requests that I do so. I'm on leave. One of my goals while here is making amends. I know I failed to follow through on a promise. I hope you'll forgive me. When I depart this time, I want to leave knowing that you're a friend."

Something--Obi-Wan was not sure what--seemed to flicker behind the mask she was presenting. She was pondering this statement, and he could see her trying to put together a correct, diplomatic reply.

"So...you do remember," was all she could say, her voice between hope and apprehension.

"You have to ask? You remember me, don't you?"

"Oh yes, you left me quite enough to remember you by," The smile she displayed hinted at some double meaning he couldn't sort out.

He gathered his courage. This was hard to admit, but he had to go through with it. "Yes, I've tried to forget. Not because of you, but because of Qui-Gon. Please understand, my behavior was no reflection of my regard for you."

"I'll need some work on accepting that. Don't expect me to get it down in a day, ok?"

At that point, a chime sounded, to let them know that dinner had arrived. They were served, and the curtain closed again.

They enjoyed the food, savory, but not too spicy. It was a warm dish, comforting, in its way. The conversation during the rest of the meal consisted of remarks on travel and current events. It was the least risky way of passing the time.

As they were finishing up dessert, Obi-Wan remembered that he had brought Anakin's gifts with him. "Here, I've got something for you," he offered as he removed the gifts. "They're from Ani, actually."

She shot him a look that he read as, "Ani got me presents, and you didn't?" Obi-Wan remained cool on the outside, but reprimanded himself internally. What she did say was, "How sweet, that boy thought of me. Let me see."

In the candlelight she appeared to glow with delight as she opened them. Obi-Wan realized he found that very attractive.

One box contained a copy of a novel that Ani had enjoyed. The other was a small album of images in and around the Jedi Temple. She browsed the holos. "You'll have to tell me about these sometime."

Obi-Wan let out a small sigh of relief. Thank the Force, she wasn't going to hold a grudge against him. Maybe he'd get a chance to turn this into a comfortable friendship after all. He was more than pleased to have an opportunity to be rid of the guilt.

Another chime, it was time to settle the bill. "I'll take care of it," the Jedi offered.

Sabé reached for it. "No, I insist. You are a guest of Naboo, and as one its officials, I am your hostess."

The waiter smiled. "No, Minister. I just need you to sign. The Queen is treating you. She said to consider it an anniversary gift."

They recovered from the surprise quickly. Sabé signed. "There's no rush," the waiter said. "Would you like another beverage?"

"No, thank you. We'll be leaving in just a moment. We need to finish our conversation," she replied.

"Very good. Take your time," the waiter said, bowing and raised the curtain.

"Obi-Wan, do you have another engagement tonight? I would like to have you over to my apartment for a while. We have a lot to catch up on," Sabé said. Her voice was serious, but there were undertones of amusement there as well.

He was a bit taken aback. He had not expected an invitation this soon. "It would be my pleasure to remain with you for the rest of the night," he smiled. It was the smile that always got him out of trouble with women.

She opened her mouth to say something, thought better of it, and just nodded.

They left the restaurant, and briskly walked to her apartment. The chatting between them was just as short and quick. She seemed eager to get there. Obi-Wan couldn't have imagined that he would do this well.

Sabé keyed the lock and entered. She called out, "Sache, how is everything?"

Obi-Wan was bemused at first. He came to the quick conclusion that she had a roommate.

The handmaiden answered from another room, "We're doing fine, just finished the bath and I've got her dressed. You're home earlier than I expected."

Sache came out with a small child in her arms. The girl, with light auburn wavy hair and bright blue eyes, was clad in fresh pajamas. Obi-Wan recognized her as the child on the palace grounds that afternoon. He started to get a vague sinking feeling.

When Sache caught sight of him, her jaw dropped, but seconds later, a sly grin took its place. "Well, I guess I should be going. You three have a nice time." She handed the baby to Sabé.

"Thanks for coming over on such short notice, Sache. Your drinks are on me this weekend," Sabé giggled nervously.

"Bring plenty of credits, I'm holding you to that," Sache stated. She turned and inclined her head toward the Jedi on her way out.

In the meantime, the girl had not taken her eyes off of Obi-Wan. She stared, pointed, then faced Sabé. "Maaa....Jeddi," she said, amazed.

"Yes, Darling, he's a Jedi, just like Mommy reads about."

She pushed against Sabé. "Down," she ordered. Her mother lowered her to the floor, she toddled off to a box in a corner and began looking through it.

Obi-Wan was overwhelmed with this development. He swallowed. Hard. His throat was getting dry. "May I sit for a bit, please?"


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||