CONNECTION: Part 2

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


While on the transport enroute, Obi-Wan had time to reflect on what had led him here. Against his will, a scene started playing out in his mind. He was running down that hall, blocked by the force fields, they opened, he was almost there, so close, the last field the only obstacle. He was watching the Sith and Qui-Gon....

He closed his eye, gritted his teeth. Concentrating, he willed the memory away. He would not, could not, think of it, of his loss, his weakness, his failure. No one must know, and if he thought of it, everyone would surely see.

There was one who had seen, with her eyes and through a bond, his greatest mistake. He had shut her out, hoping that it would shorten the time it took for the event pass from his consciousness. Yes, he had avoided even remembering her.

But then again, he speculated, what was there to remember? She was just another young woman, another short-lived relationship that served for the moment they were in. It's not like she was special or anything...

...Was she?

Of course not, he justified to himself. Sure, the sex had been great, once he taught her some basics. The last time they were together came to mind. It started as a pleasant recollection, a warm feeling spread over his body. He allowed that to play to the end, glad that others on the transport were asleep and could not see his face. But then he came to the part where she had made one simple request of him, something that even a cur of a man could have followed through and done.

That was another misstep, a promise had been made, but not kept. The sense of shame returned

Now he had to go back to where these events took place and deal with them. He found this line of thought made him squirm, so he began reading for distraction.

Upon his arrival to Theed, Obi-Wan noticed a new statue in the square. It was still covered, a sign was posted to indicate it would be unveiled at the parade to commemorate the second anniversary of Naboo's victory. He stopped, glanced at it curiously and moved on.

The Jedi then checked into the Royal Palace. Because of his service during the Trade Federation crisis, he was always welcome, and was one of the few people who was allowed immediate access to the Queen, with no questions asked. It was not a priviledge that he had taken advantage of, until now. After he had his luggage sent to his room, he sought out Amidala. He wanted to touch base with her to see what the current situation was.

At the checkpoint, he was admitted, as expected. Panaka passed by, enroute to another duty, and gave Obi-Wan a dark look. He moved close enough for only the Jedi to hear, and told him, "Don't leave anything behind this time." Obi-Wan looked after him, confused. They had never gotten along during the Crisis, but what was he talking about?

Offical business was done for the day, and he found the Queen out in the garden dressed informally, playing a game with a two of the handmaidens and a small girl. He noted, with some initial relief, that Sabé was not among them. But that seemed unusual,and was perhaps a cause for concern. It was a lovely time of year and they were enjoying the weather and the child's presence. He was watching their games for a few minutes before Amidala spotted him, and walked over with a big smile on her face to greet him.

"Your Highness," he said, as he bowed.

"So formal, Obi-Wan?," she extended her hand in welcome. "We're not in court or on an offical function. Outside of those occasions, I should think we've been through too much together for that."

Obi-Wan accepted the greeting, clasped her hand, and returned her smile with a smaller one. He then released the his grasp and returned his hands to their customary resting position

"So tell me, is Anakin joining us?" she quieried.

"Not this time, Amidala," he replied. His tone was slightly uncomfortable. The Queen's expression became thoughtful, but she left it at that.

"Walk with me, then," she said, and began making small talk. She could wait until he wished to reveal what was really on his mind.

After a short walk around the grounds, talking of nothing in particular, Obi-Wan felt ready. He took a deep breath. "I suppose Sabé's doing well these days. I didn't see her with you in the garden," he said.

Amidala seemed pleased with the change in topic. "She still serves me well, but no longer as a handmaiden. Captain Panaka finally persuaded her to take a post on his recruitment and training staff. He felt her expertise should be shared with others or that it would be wasted. It took him quite awhile to convince her to accept. It was a very good promotion for her. Oh,let's go left here..." She took them down a side hall.

"Why wouldn't she jump at the chance?" Obi-Wan asked. "As I recall, she's very career oriented. Other than your protection, this is the most valuable use of her talent."

"She had to be sure she would be worthy of the job. It is a great responsibility, and once she takes something on, she gives it her full dedication. But I think you know that." Amidala looked straight ahead,small grin on her face and ignored the look Obi-Wan shot her.

Clearing his throat, Obi-wan questioned further. "You're still close to her?"

"Yes, we see each other still. Almost every day as a matter of fact. I'd call her my best friend," she said.

They neared the end of the hall that Amidala had been leading them down. A group emerged from the doorway, a class of young cadets, wearing the uniform of the elite, trainees for the Queen's guard. They all passed Obi-Wan and Amidala, unaware that the young woman they walked by was the one that they pledged their lives to protect.

"Is she with anyone?" Obi-Wan felt his pulse quicken with that question. *Control,* he reminded himself.

At that moment, Sabé was the last to exit the room. She looked up, her eyes met Obi-Wan's and she caught her breath. She then quickly glanced over and bowed to the Queen.

"With anyone," Amidala moved to the other side of Sabé and peered behind her into the room. "It would seem that she's not. Now if you two will excuse me, I have a droid to clean." She winked and was gone.

Obi-Wan and Sabé looked at each other for a long moment. He tried to reach her with the Force, but what had worked before did not work now, she had put up a powerful barrier.

Sabé winced at his attempt to contact her through their long unused bond. "Please, Jedi Kenobi...not just yet. I don't mean to be rude, but I need some time."

"You're not being rude. I overstepped my bounds. I apologize," he said softly. "I hope you'll feel comfortable calling me Obi-Wan again."

"Yes...yes, I will," she said. "Shall we?" she pointed to the way out and waited for him to indicate that he would join her.

He nodded, and they started their walk down the hall. It was crowded with staff leaving for the day. Many nodded at Sabé and she returned the courtesy. A few let their glances linger on the pair, trying to see who she was with.

"We don't have much privacy here, do we?" Obi-Wan asked.

"No, if you want that, we'll have to go somewhere else," Sabé replied.

"You've just finished work, and I'm sure you'll want a chance to rest and refresh yourself. I didn't exactly give you advance notice. How about dinner tonight?" He suggested.

Sabé thought a moment. "It's possible, but I'll have to make arrangements. Meet me in front of the Palace in two and a half standard hours."

"I'll be there," he said.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||