CONNECTION: Part 11

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


It was a quiet clear night with a full moon. The Royal Bedchamber's balcony doors were open and the fresh breeze gave a cool and pleasant air to the room. The curtains fluttered softly. Amidala was fast asleep, but she stirred occasionally and smiled, as if reaction to a pleasant dream.

A door from one of the secret passages opened, and a cloaked figure entered. "Your Highness," a voice whispered. The Queen rolled over, but did not respond.

The intruder reached into the depths of the cloak and extracted a small glass vial. Approaching the Queen, one gloved hand undid the stopper. The figure got closer, it was almost able to reach over and pour the contents into Amidala's slightly open mouth.

A blaster bolt whizzed from behind a heavy curtain on the opposite side of the room and the pieces of the shattered vial fell to the floor. The sound awakened the Queen, who sat up with a start.

The figure looked in the direction the fire had come from. As it did, the hood fell back. Even in the shadows, the bright moonlight revealed the red tresses of the failed assassin, Lirae.

"Stop now, before it gets any worse," a calm voice ordered. Sabé stepped from behind the curtain, her silver pistol still aimed straight at the traitor.

Lirae reached down and grasped a handful of Amidala's hair, and pulled it roughly. The Queen flinched at the pain, but did not squeal. "I still have her, Sabé. You don't dare fire!" At that, she moved Amidala upright in front of her.

Sabé lowered the blaster, crossed her arms, and smiled.

Amidala reached over and behind her head, grasping the aggressor's hand. She turned towards Lirae, breaking the woman's grip and gave her a swift kick to the solar plexus. Lirae fell, and before she could catch her breath, Sabé was over her with the blaster aimed between her eyes.

"Another mistake," Sabé stated. "Do you want to make any more?"


At the detention center, Sabé and Panaka stood and watched Lirae through a one way glass. The former handmaiden sat and stared at the window, with an unwavering sullen expression on her face.

"The guards on her-are we sure of their loyalty?"

"Absolutely," Panaka answered. "They're well known, have shown no aggressive tendencies and tested clean on the drug screen."

Sabé relaxed slightly. "Good. I hope this goes a long way toward solving the inside problems. How about her tests? Are they back?"

Panaka bit his lip. "They are. She's clean. It appears she needs no chemical persuasion."

Sabé's eyes grew wide. She shook her head. "It just keeps getting worse."

"How did you determine that it was Lirae you should look for?" Panaka asked.

"I started digging. No one we knew could vouch for her, and that sounded suspicious to me."

"She came with highest recommendations from Chancellor Palpatine himself," the Captain said, his tone astonished. "That's why I brought her in."

Sabé took a seat and leaned back, looking up at Panaka. "And how well do we know the Supreme Chancellor? Anyway, when I tried to speak to someone who had personally witnessed anything she'd done, it was always a dead end. All the leads I followed indicated that she was recommended by another high authority."

Panaka looked chagrined.

"Don't worry," Sabé said softly. "No one will know."


It took a while, but by the second morning after his vision, Obi-Wan had hiked back into Theed. On the way, he had turned on the comlink, not to call for help, but to monitor any news that might have broken in the time he was gone. He learned of the Lirae's treachery, and was proud to hear of Sabé's part in her apprehension.

The Majordomo at the Palace greeted him, and arranged his return to his room. As he cleaned up, he peered at his unshaven face, the growth accumulated in a week's time in the woods. He took the razor, started to go back to the clean shaven style he had been accustomed to, but stopped a moment and thought. He chose to leave part of the growth and worked around it.

After dressing in fresh robes, he took care of such business as sending Anakin a message. He found the Queen at one of her few spare moments and asked her if she would care to add to the message. Amidala must have seen the change in him. She seemed pleased, and in her portion of the transmission, made a sly comment to Ani on his Master's new look.

When the holo was sent, Obi-Wan turned to the Queen. "I heard news of your close call. I'm glad to see that you were not injured."

"It might have been worse, if not for Sabé. You were right to advise her to watch Lirae," Amidala said.

"She'd have figured it out in time. I'm sure of that," Obi-Wan said, brushing off the compliment. "Anyway, what will happen to her?"

"Supreme Chancellor Palpatine sent for her the moment he heard of the incident. He wanted to take full responsibility for her actions, since he was the one who had recommended her for the job. He assured me that she would be punished appropriately." The Queen's expression took on a mysterious look. "I have no doubt that whatever he has in mind for her will be far more severe than anything we would have done."


Obi-Wan tried to call Sabé, but she was out of touch most of the day. He assumed that she was busy with the duties of her office, so he didn't worry too much over it. He spent the time accompanying the Queen as she made the rounds meeting with officials.

When Rabe came on to relieve Eirtae, she leaned over to Obi-Wan. "Meira is sick today, and Sabé has her at the healers."

The Jedi was alarmed. "Should I go to them?"

"No, join them later. It's not serious, just one of those childhood complaints." The handmaiden then took her place behind and to one side of the Queen.

When he got back to his room, he checked the chronometer. He saw that the hour wasn't too late, so he entered a name on the vidscreen.

Sabé answered, but she did not send an image. The voice sounded strained and tired.

"Obi-Wan?"

"Sabé...can I come and look at the baby? If she's sleeping, I promise, I won't wake her. I just want to see her, and you too, if that's all right." He held his breath, awaiting her answer.

After a few seconds, she replied. "Yes, if you want to come now, I don't mind. She will be sleeping. I'll be ready when you get here."

He made his way across the square to the block of apartments that housed the Queen's key staff. Finding his way to the one where she lived, he quietly knocked.

Sabé opened the door, her finger to her lips. Even though she was clearly exhausted, her eyes opened wide when she saw him. She grinned and nodded in approval. "The goatee is very handsome," she whispered. He smiled warmly, glad she found it so.

She motioned to the girl's room and let him in to see her.

The child was sleeping in a crib. A light was coming in through the window, enough to softly illuminate the room. Obi-Wan knelt down to peer through the slats and study his daughter.

His daughter-the very concept left him in awe. He looked at her face, saw some of his features, some of Sabé's. She continued to slumber, and her father felt an overwhelming love for her come over him. She was beautiful, she was perfect, she had to be the most intelligent child in this galaxy and he must be sure she was protected no matter what the cost. As his complete acceptance of her set in, he felt almost fully at peace in a way he had not known since before Qui-Gon's death.

Obi-Wan turned and looked up at Sabé. She was smiling, glad to see that he was happy with his child at last. She motioned for him to come back into the outer room of the apartment.

"Thank you for coming to see her, Obi-Wan. I know you won't get to visit often, but whatever you can do, it will help her." Sabé rubbed her eyes, trying to stay awake. "I'm sorry. The last two nights have been rough, first dealing with Lirae, then the baby getting sick. There's still so much to say..."

"You can say it in the morning," Obi-Wan told her. He led her to her bed. "I'll be here to watch Meira, I'll call you if we need you." He waved his hand at Sabé. "Now, sleep."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||