CONNECTION: Part 1

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


The angry young Palace guard burst through the door of Minister Calle's office, muttering to himself. He almost bumped into Rabe and Sache as they made their way to meet her.

"Your friend there," he scowled, tilting his head toward Sabé's office. "I don't know why she thinks she's all that great. She's not the only war hero around, and certainly not pretty enough for a man to deal with that attitude. Forget it!" The guard stalked off, shaking his head.

The two handmaidens looked at each other, knowing their friend had done it again. "This time we should talk to her," Sache whispered.

Rabe nodded, reluctantly. They peeked around the door frame to see if it was safe to enter. Sabé was seated at her desk, right elbow resting on its surface and head in hand, her face turned away from the door, to look out the window. Rabe cleared her throat. "Minister, may we enter?"

The Minister of Recruitment and Training reacted with a start. She dabbed at her eyes quickly, then turned to meet the two handmaidens. "Yes, of course, please do. How did the day go, are you and the Queen all right?"

"Never better, we're more concerned with you," Sache started.

"Oh, you ran into Jaquill. No need to be concerned. He's just not my type," Sabé stated, busying herself with arranging the files on the holoscreen.

"He's not bad, and neither were the other two you've turned down in the last few weeks. Why give them the cold shoulder? You're getting a bad rep, you know. 'Calle, the Ice Queen'," Rabe replied.

A hurt look crossed Sabé's face, just for an instant. She lowered her head a bit so her friends could not see her expressions. "Is that what they say about me?" she asked.

Rabe pulled up another chair and sat next to Sabé. "You've never made a habit of running from anything else before in your life, don't start now," she counseled.

"I'm not running. My life has to be devoted to my career, my duty to the Queen and of course, my daughter. I have no time for other interests, not now at least," Sabé protested.

Sache sat on Sabé's other side. "You're not doing the Queen any favors, or Meira either. You can do a better job as Minister and as a mother if you meet your needs too."

There was a long moment of silence.

Then Rabe spoke, her tones as gentle as possible. "It's been almost two standard years. Honey, I don't think he's coming back."

Resigned, Sabé admitted,"I know. But I don't know what to do, how it all works. What if..."

"There is no 'what if.' Just go, have fun, get into circulation," Sache urged. "Come with us this weekend, we won't let you jump into this thing cold. Other than Rabe and Rowan, nobody's really going to be paired off. It will all work out, trust me."

"Who's with the Queen?" Sabé checked the schedule.

"Yane, Eirtae, and one of the new girls, Lirae. See, she's covered, and you're always on call, they can get in touch with you when they need you. Your mother will take care of the baby, she'll be thrilled to have her for the night. You have no excuses," Sache pointed out.

"You win," Sabé conceded. "When and where do we meet?"

Amidala moved away from the door when Sache launched into the details of the outing. She had overheard enough. While walking back to her quarters, she pulled out the last holo message Anakin had sent.

The boy's image popped up. "... Sometimes I worry about my Master. He is keeping so much inside. I can sense it when he lets his guard down. He thinks I don't know about the pain. He won't talk to anyone about it, not me, or another Jedi, not even to Master Yoda. I guess he feels he's being strong for me and the Council, I hope it doesn't end up...well, I don't want to think about what could happen. I'll keep in touch, always remember, my heart is with you. Bye for now."

The Queen switched off the holo, and wrinkled her brow in thought.


It was early in the morning, and Obi-Wan was hard at work. He was going over Anakin's program for the day's activities, trying to see how he could fit that with the diplomatic meeting he was to attend with the Wookie and Calamarian senators. Without warning, Yoda entered the apartment and tapped his gimer stick on the floor. Obi-Wan looked up in surprise.

"You wish to meet with me, Master Yoda?"

"Obi-Wan, two years it has been since Master Qui-Gon was lost to us. In that time, you have worked very hard with your Padawan learner, and pursuing your assignments. An excellent Jedi have you become. But neglecting other areas of your life, you have been. Time has come to address that. Giving you leave from your duties here for a month, I am. Go to Naboo, rest and meditate there. You will find what you need to do." Yoda turned to leave the quarters.

Obi-Wan got up with a start. "But Master, this is a terrible time to leave. I've just gotten Anakin started with a new program, he needs looking after. There are all these meetings scheduled, I can't just go like that!"

Yoda stopped, turned around, and sighed. In that soft and serious tone he used with his most trusted students, he said,"Obi-Wan, many times have we talked in the years since Qui-Gon departed. Much you are still holding in. Continue, this cannot. I will ensure Skywalker is cared for. For your sake, his, and the sake of others, this is necessary."

All Obi-Wan could do was bow. "Yes Master."


Obi-wan was totally unprepared for those orders. Yoda usually did things by the book and the unconventional meeting was just not his style. He turned back to the terminal, checked his schedule and found it had been changed. He was to leave for Naboo that afternoon.

After packing, he went to Anakin between the boy's classes to let him know he would be gone.

"We get to go to Naboo," the boy exclaimed.

Obi-Wan sagged slightly. He really didn't want to disappoint his Padawan. "I'm sorry Ani. I'm going alone this time. Master Yoda has made arrangements for your care while you stay here. Perhaps next time. Is there anything I can bring to the Queen for you?"

Anakin's face showed his letdown. "Yes, I have a package I've started putting together. It's got a couple of little things for one of my other friends too. Her name is Sabé, Amidala will know her."

Obi-Wan was puzzled. "I didn't know you knew one of the handmaidens that well."

Anakin raised an eyebrow, and smiled slightly. "She was kind to me. I've lost touch with her, and I should make up for that."

"I'll deliver the package for you. Take care Ani, and mind your lessons. I'll touch base with you when I settle in," Obi-Wan told him as they parted.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||