CHOICE: Part 2

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Sabé and Hasin found a quiet place in the mostly deserted atrium. Settling down, she waited patiently for the explanation.

"We've never spoken of this because it causes your mother great distress," Hasin began, keeping his voice low. "You are not our first child."

Sabé's mouth fell open in surprise. All her life, she had been an only child, never had she known of a sibling. There had never been talk of another, no pictures, no sign of any kind. She was too shocked to comment.

"We removed all signs of him after his death. This is the first time I've mentioned him in years. Your mother blames herself, even though it's not her fault, there's nothing anyone could have done."

"Please tell me more about my...," she struggled to get the word out, "brother?"

Her father smiled sadly. "We had him a few months after the wedding, he was a honeymoon baby. But Nathell was born sickly. He had good days, and bad days, the bad days became more frequent, and his little body gave out. His illness came from a genetic lethal disease that your mother carries. She never wanted to try again, feeling that she was cursed, even though the doctors said there was a good chance of a healthy baby.

"So you didn't expect me," Sabé stated.

"When we were surprised by you, she was tested and all the signs were positive. You were carried to term and we kept you. I'm sorry that we hid the facts from you, but I think you've fulfilled your potential very well without becoming a Jedi. Naboo needs you more as you are, we need you, daughter."

Sabé shook her head, "I'm sorry. I just found out about the taboo on giving children to the Temple. I didn't know you'd gone through the pain of losing a baby already. I understand now. I'll apologize to Mother." She paused, and reflected. "That's why Mother wanted to plan a 'safe' life for me."

"I think so," Hasin answered. "Ready to go back?"

She nodded, and together, father and daughter rejoined the rest of the family.

They entered the room. Raisa looked at them both with trepidation, wondering what she would have to answer for. Instead, she was comforted in her daughter's embrace.

"What are you going to do, give her to the Jedi?" Raisa asked, trying not to fear the response.

"Not yet, Mother. I'll be fair and warn you, that may change,"Sabé told her. "For now, we will be together with you."

"Then we'll make the best of each day as it comes." Hasin said, and they all left it at that.

The next morning, Amidala and Rabe showed up to help Sabé and Meira go home. When they got there, the other handmaidens were waiting, and an impromptu "welcome home" party was thrown. The small quarters were decorated with pastel streamers and signs, a cake was cut, and Sabé was relieved to see that meals for two weeks had been prepared and set in the preservation unit. Of course, all the women took turns cooing and playing with the new arrival. Gifts for mother and baby were presented, with the standout being a miniature orange handmaiden dress, made by Yane.

"What am I going to do with you all," Sabé laughed. "There's no way I can ever reciprocate this!"

"You can take it easy on us if you ever impersonate the Queen again," Sache replied.

Soon Amidala could see that mother and child were tiring. She could also tell by Sabé's non verbal signals that she wanted to talk to her alone. So she began breaking up the party, sending the handmaidens off to various assignments, till finally it was the two of them.

After putting Meira down, Sabé came to the Queen. "Your Highness, do you think there'll be a trip to Coruscant soon?"

Amidala wrinkled her brow in thought. "I hadn't planned one, but do you have need to go? I'll help you."

"I do have need, Your Highness. There are facts I must know before I make the choice for Meira. I feel the Jedi Library is the only place I will find them."

"A diplomatic and research mission then. I'll contact Bibble, he'll get the wheels in motion."

Sabé bowed her head, "Thank you, Your Highness."

Amidala stood up, preparing to depart. She put on her coat, then hesitated. "Sabé, you know we all love that little girl, and I'm looking forward to becoming a Godmother."

Sabé walked her to the door. She stopped, and took a deep breath. "I know, Amidala. But I will do what I must, when I find out what that is supposed to be." They clasped hands, and bid each other farewell.

Sabé went over to her desk and pulled out a datacard, the one that she got from R2. She began reading the first text on the list that Master Jinn had given her.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||