CHOICE: Part 1

by:  JazzyJedi LA
Feedback to:  JazzyJediLA@aol.com

Author's Notes:  This is really where I start heading into the AU.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"Push, Sabé!"

Gathering all her strength, Sabé gave a loud yell, and pushed hard, one last time. She was sure that was as much as she could do, and fell back, exhausted. Amidala leaned over her, and wiped the sweat from her brow. The Queen glanced to the side, then broke into a joyful smile.

"It's over. The baby's here, you did it!" A piercing cry broke the air. "A girl," Amidala announced.

Sabé, still catching her breath, asked, "Ten fingers and ten toes?"

The doctor looked the infant over quickly. "She appears to be perfect and healthy, Minister."

"Thank the Gods," Sabé breathed.


Obi-Wan Kenobi was doing his paperwork at day's end. This was the part of the job he hated most, documenting everything he was doing in training his Padawan. He didn't remember Qui-Gon having to do that with him, but then again, he was never The Chosen One.

He leaned forward and dug his fists into closed eyes. He sighed, glad this task was almost over, attempting to recall the day's events to see if there was any detail he missed. Suddenly, he was distracted by a sharp noise. It sounded for all the world like a baby's cry, distant, but not, at the same time. Definitely, it was too loud. The quarters were nowhere near the nursery, so it had to be a holovid. He wondered what on Coruscant was Anakin thinking, playing the thing at that volume this time of night. Annoyed, he got up to complain and command the boy to turn the vid down.

When he rose, the sound stopped, but he strode into the other small bedroom to warn Ani to keep it low. When he got there, the boy was at his workbench, building some device. Obi-Wan scowled anyway.

"Ani, I know this is your leisure time, and I don't mind that you're watching a vid, but keep the noise down, it's too late at night for that," the Jedi declared.

Anakin turned from his project, puzzled. "Master, I don't know what you mean. I've been working on this ever since we got back from practice. I haven't had a vid on at all today."

Obi-Wan could see the boy was sincere. He regretted his haste in rushing to blame Anakin for his hallucination. "I'm sorry, Padawan." He shook his head. "Perhaps your Master has been working too hard. I'll talk to you later." He then turned to go back to his room. Strange, he knew he had heard something. He was going to have to meditate more....


Sabé felt she had spent enough time in the hospital. Even though the room was brightened by flowers and greetings from her parents, Bibble, Panaka and his staff, the Queen, and the handmaidens, it was not where she wanted to be. She was ready to go home, back to the little apartment that was hers near the Theed palace. She had taken full advantage of this perk that came with her position, and had transformed it into quite the cozy nest for herself and her baby. She had a few months after her promotion to Minister of Recruitment and Training of the Queen's Guard, to take a dull and barren place and make it her own.

From her place in the bed, she looked over at her tiny girl, sleeping in the bassinet. Even with all of her preparation, she knew this to be the biggest challenge she would ever face. She just hoped that she could do justice to this life that she was privileged to guard for a while.

A nurse entered the room, carrying a datapad with forms to fill out. The woman smiled, "Good day, Minister Calle. Looks like we'll be able to get you out of here tomorrow morning, you and the baby are doing beautifully. Why don't we get the documents in order? That way, you'll be out faster."

Sabé nodded. "Yes, thank you. That would be very nice."

"Your maiden name, Minister?"

"Sabé Uzza"

"Father's name and occupation?"

"Baris Calle, he was a pilot, killed in the attack on the Trade Federation droid control ship," Sabé stated, coolly. It was as if she had said it a thousand times.

The nurse bit her lip. "Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't know. Were you married very long?"

Sabé's eyes met the nurse's, her gaze steady. "It's all right. I didn't make it public. We slipped away while on Coruscant, and married as the Queen was addressing the Senate. We thought it would be better to do so while we had the chance. At least we got a little time together."

"Yes," said the nurse. Uncomfortable now, she wanted to move on. "And what is this charming baby's name?"

Sabé smiled. "Meira." She got up to take a look at her now stirring daughter. The child yawned, awakening. She stroked her baby's cheek with one finger, marveling at the softness of the skin she felt.

The nurse looked over some notes, then remarked, "The tests show the child has a midichlorian count that ranks her as qualified for the Temple. You'll be following the usual procedure, of course."

The new mother looked up, slightly alarmed. "What would the usual procedure be?"

"Oh, that's right, this is your first," the nurse said. "Well, here on Naboo, our system is set up to conceal these children. Most families would not have the Jedi whisk their precious babies away, never to be seen again."

"Really," Sabé commented. She pushed all emotion to the back now, and focused her attention on this new information. "Do you know about how many test positive and of those, how many go to the Jedi?"

The nurse started getting flustered now. "Dear, I don't have those figures on hand. If I were to guess, one percent qualify. Only the poorest families actually give the children over, perhaps one or two a year, if that. Even as a single parent, your position will support you both, won't it?"

Sabé nodded, but was still in the middle of thought. The nurse looked at her, blinking in disbelief. She was close to appalled that this young woman was really considering giving the child over to the Temple.

Sabé looked at the nurse, and kindly but firmly told her, "One very valuable thing the Queen has taught me is to consider every option before making an important choice. May I have a few hours before we mark down her fate?"

The nurse was a bit taken aback, but recovered. "Of course, Minister. Call me when you are ready." She made a hasty exit.

Sabé gazed at her daughter, who was now stirring more vigorously. It was getting close to a feeding time, so the mother picked her up, and cradled her while she suckled. Meira's eyes were wide, studying her mother's features, trying to imprint the face on her consciousness. Sabé began talking to her child. It seemed to help with the bond that was strengthening between them.

"Little girl, what am I going to do? The answer was so easy. I would have never dreamed of letting you go, but now I have to think about it. For the sake of the Jedi, some would urge me to turn you over. Here on Naboo, it seems socially unacceptable, I'm not sure why. I want you with me, but I must do what's best for you. I wish I could speak with Master Jinn, he would have good advice. He said I should keep my talents secret, he said nothing about you. I wonder if he knew you were coming."

Sabé stopped talking and returned to thought. For a short time all that could be heard in the room were the low sounds of the child feeding. Soon there were footsteps in the hallway, and the murmurs of excited people. Sabé became aware of the approaching visitors and smoothed her hair back. She recognized the chatter of her parents, knowing their happiness at their new grandparent status. She hated what she was about to do, but she had to have some answers quickly.

Sabé's mother, Raisa, almost burst into the room, rushing to her daughter's side, to view the new addition to the family. Her father, Hasin, was only a couple of steps behind, and his pride was obvious. Sabé smiled at them in greeting, then leveled her gaze at her father. "Please, close the door."

The big man could see that she was serious, and Sabé's mother caught that too. Raisa became concerned, "What is it, is something wrong with the baby?"

"No, Mother, she's all right, as healthy as can be. It's just....we have to talk. Please tell me why. Why was I kept here and not given to the Temple? Why would you not let me fulfill my potential?"

Hasin looked at his wife, then at Sabé. He cleared his throat. "You deserve to know. We should have told her much sooner, Raisa."

"You know I can't think about that," Raisa snapped, close to tears.

"Sabé, give the baby to your mother, and we'll talk. Are you well enough to go out to the atrium?"

Sabé nodded. "I'm a little sore, but I'll do fine."

Hasin helped his daughter put on a robe, and offered his arm. "We'll be back soon," he told his wife. "Call for the nurse if you need anything."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||