ROLE MODEL: Part 3

by:  Cheshire Cat
Feedback to:  cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com

Author's Notes:  If someone else wants to take over and write Obi-Wan's adventures in babysitting, let me know. Alas, I don't have the time.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


"Well, Padawan," Qui-Gon began once they were back in their quarters. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

Obi-Wan swallowed. It had been a long time since his Master had last been this irked by his behavior. The younger man looked up at Qui-Gon and said the only thing he could. "I'm sorry."

Qui-Gon seated himself gracefully on the meditation mat and motioned for Obi-Wan to join him.

"Padawan, I had hoped you'd grown out of such adolescent tendencies. I see now that I was mistaken. I know you did not start this 'incident' but I do know that you provoked the other boy. We are Guardians of the Peace, my young Apprentice. We never provoke others."

Obi-Wan didn't trust his voice - he was afraid it might crack if he tried to say anything. So he merely nodded.

Qui-Gon continued, "We may be warriors, Obi-Wan, but we only fight for those who cannot defend themselves. Fighting with your peers is but one of many paths to the Dark Side. I never want to see you engaging in that kind of behavior again."

Qui-Gon noticed that Obi-Wan's features were set in his 'stubborn look.' It was a look the Jedi Master knew only too well. He knew that nothing he said or did would have any impact on the boy unless he understood the reasons behind it. Gently, Qui-Gon tipped Obi-Wan's head back till he looked him in the eye.

"The young children look up to you and the other older Padawans. You know this. You did the same thing at that age. What sort of impression did you leave with them today?"

Obi-Wan tried to look away, but his Master held his gaze.

Qui-Gon's voice was low and soft, but held an unmistakable note of iron in it. "Answer me, Padawan."

"Not a very good one," Obi-Wan said, blushing.

"You frightened them, Obi-Wan. Did their fear appeal to your vanity? Were you showing off?"

Obi-Wan's eyes opened wide. "No, Master. That was never my intention."

Qui-Gon nodded, pleased with the answer.

"Padawan, you know - I hope - that your behavior today is absolutely unacceptable. You know that fighting on Temple grounds is prohibited," he paused, waiting for some response from Obi-Wan.

"Yes, Master," Obi-Wan said. He knew Qui-Gon was waiting for him to say something and it was the only appropriate thing that came to mind.

"I've spoken with you before regarding this… habit of yours - numerous times, in fact. And yet, you continue to brawl. If it's not in the dining hall it's in the corridors or the classrooms."

"Yes, Master."

Qui-Gon sighed. Sometimes it seemed as though he and Obi-Wan were the perfect team and at others, as if they were from different galaxies.

"Obi-Wan, I've done everything I know to do with you. I've set you extra meditations, extra lessons, and extra chores. I've put you in isolation with the other boys in an attempt for the two of you to work things out. And now you have an official reprimand on your file. Yet, somehow, I have a feeling that you will continue to misbehave. You know this behavior is unacceptable. I know you know it. So, tell me, Padawan - what can I do to make you follow the rules?"

Obi-Wan looked stricken. "I try, Master. It's just…" he trailed off, not sure what else to say.

"What's the matter, Padawan?"

"Things just happen to me, Master. I can't explain it."

Obi-Wan was startled to hear his Master laugh at that. Qui-Gon's laughter died away after a long moment and he looked at his Padawan.

"Things just happen to you? Well, Padawan, I think that's the most entertaining excuse I've ever heard."

Obi-Wan grinned impishly at his Master. "Perhaps it is the will of the Force," he said.

Qui-Gon quirked an eyebrow. "Indeed," he replied slowly. He regarded his Padawan intently. "Obi-Wan, you have enough demerits stacked up against you at the moment - to such an extent that you will have five hours of menial tasks every day for the next six months. Answer me honestly, Padawan. Is it enough to keep you out of trouble?"

Obi-Wan sighed. He hated it when Qui-Gon made him set his own punishment.

"I hope so, Master."

"You hope? Obi-Wan, that is not the answer I was looking for. Be decisive, my Apprentice. A straightforward 'yes' or 'no' will be sufficient."

Obi-Wan took a deep breath. He knew he couldn't lie to his Master. "No, Master."

Qui-Gon nodded, pleased with Obi-Wan for having to make such a difficult decision.

"Very well, Padawan. In that case, I believe I have just the thing."

Obi-Wan's eyes fluttered open wide. "M-master?"

"Seeing as you managed to frighten any number of young children this morning, I think it would be beneficial to both you and them if you were to 'volunteer' for such a task."

"What exactly do you want me to do, Master?"

"An old friend of mine has told me that she is planning an excursion with the four-year-olds this coming week."

"You want me to baby-sit?" Obi-Wan asked incredulously.

Qui-Gon smiled faintly. "I think that you can provide these impressionable youngsters with a positive role model. Besides, I have a feeling that such an… adventure will be a sufficient deterrent for any more fighting outside the practice rooms."

Obi-Wan had always prided himself on his ability to discuss events calmly and maturely with his Master. But he had never been told to supervise a group of four-year-olds before. The thought of it reduced him to begging.

"Please, Master, anything but that."

"Oh, no, Padawan. This is something you richly deserve."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||