ROLE MODEL: Part 2

by:  Cheshire Cat
Feedback to:  cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


During the turbo-lift ride to the Council chambers, Qui-Gon did not say a word to his Apprentice. He was furious with the boy for letting his temper get the better of him. He was all the more furious that the boy had drawn his blade in a room full of children.

To his credit, Obi-Wan was sufficiently frightened. It was not every day that he did something bad enough to warrant an official reprimand. In fact, the only time he'd ever spent in the chamber that was not mission-related had been after the disasterous experience on Melida/Daan.

When they reached the highest point in the Temple - the highest point on Coruscant - Obi-Wan was somewhat startled to notice that Chir-ne and his Master were also there.

"We're all on the mat this time," Qui-Gon muttered under his breath to his Padawan. Obi-Wan looked up at his Master and felt a faint smile tug at his lips.

Qui-Gon took a deep breath. Then he closed his eyes for a brief moment. Upon opening them, he took three decisive strides into the center of the room. He was followed by the other three.

"Speak, you will. Each in turn," Master Yoda said sternly. He gestured to Obi-Wan to begin.

/Why me?/

"Master Yoda, we were in the dining hall during second lunch. I accidentally bumped Chir-ne with my tray and he turned around and pushed me and then I pushed him back. Then we yelled a little bit and then he drew his lightsabre. So I drew mine to defend myself. And then Master Qui-Gon was there and he cut our lightsabres in half."

Obi-Wan stopped, largely because he didn't know what else to say.

Yoda turned to the other boy. "Chir-ne, speak you will to your defense."

"Well, Master," Chir-ne began. "That's not exactly the way it happened. I was walking through the dining hall and apparently Obi-Wan thought I cut him off. He knocked into me from behind. I pushed him away from me, but then he started shoving me back. Then he provoked me with insults."

Master Gallia raised a well-manicured eyebrow. "But you did draw your blade first?" She asked, although she knew the answer. The Council had viewed the monitor-droid's read-out before speaking with the boys.

Chir-ne willed his feet not to shuffle. "Yes, Master Gallia. I did draw first."

The Council nodded and Obi-Wan knew they were telepathically debating his future punishments. He tried very hard to look contrite.

After a few moments, Master Gallia spoke again. "Chir-ne, for this infraction of the rules, you are hereby placed on Temple-probation for one standard year. If, in that time, we have to discipline you again, you will be dishonorably discharged. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Master."

She nodded and turned slightly to face Obi-Wan. "You, Obi-Wan Kenobi, are similarly placed on probation, but because we believe you did not initiate the encounter, your probate-period will be for one-half year only."

Obi-Wan nodded, slightly numb. Temple-probation was much more than just a simple warning. It involved serious demerits and it would be a permenant black-mark on his training record. The demerits would have to be worked off through extra chores and - this was the part he hated - duty in the creche. The Padawans' lecture overwith, the two boys were asked to wait on the balcony outside. To prevent further altercations between the two, each was sent to an opposite balcony.

Qui-Gon and Chir-ne's Master, a hard-faced man by the name of Lartok, stood in the circle.

"What to say have you?" Yoda asked.

Qui-Gon shrugged. "They're young. It happens."

Yoda scowled at his former Padawan. "Irritating you are, Qui-Gon. Serves you right to have a Padawan like Obi-Wan. Know now what I went through, you do."

Qui-Gon smiled faintly. "Master Yoda, I do not know what you wish me to say. I'm certainly not going to defend my Padawan. He's quite capable of doing that himself. He's been arguing with me since he was twelve years old. He's perfected the art."

Yoda made a small 'hmmph' noise, and he shifted in his seat. Master Mundi looked at Qui-Gon sternly. "You should instruct your Padawan that this type of behavior is not acceptable."

Qui-Gon's face hardened. He never liked it when anyone told him how to do something when he knew perfectly well how to do it himself. "I will," he said ominously. "Believe me, I will."

Lartok was next addressed by Mundi. "Your Padawan has much anger in him. See to it that he does extra meditations."

/Two marks to Mundi for stating the blatantly obvious,/ Qui-Gon thought to himself.

Lartok also looked aggravated by the Council member.

"Yes, Master," he managed to grate out between clenched teeth.

"Very well," said Master Gallia. "We leave you to dispense your own forms of discipline above and beyond the probation periods should you so desire it."

Qui-Gon bowed, as did Lartok. Each one fetched his Padawan and they descended to the main levels in silence.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||