RETIREMENT

by:  Seven O'Nine
Feedback to:  jsolinas@erols.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


The ceremonial room of the Jedi Temple had been scrubbed to a sheen that Obi-Wan had never seen before. At one end of the low, brightly-lit hall was a simple metal table, with a battered lightsaber set carefully on it. Excitement knotted his stomach as he watched the people milling around it, talking softly.

It was a sadly rare occurrance for a Jedi Knight to reach the age of retirement, when the knight would no longer be required to go on missions. In all of Obi-Wan's life, there had been only one other knight retiring besides Serabi. He rose up on his toes, spotting the lanky, white-haired old man across the room. Serabi's lined face broke into a smile at the sight of the young man.

If Qui-Gon was Obi-Wan's surrogate father, then Serabi was his surrogate grandfather. A human Jedi of almost eighty-six years, still hale but slowing down with age. He had been a guiding force in Qui-Gon's life as a boy, though he had been unable to take him as a padawan. Serabi had told Obi-Wan stories from his long life, more adventures than he had thought anyone could have.

And that was why, Obi-Wan thought cheerfully, he had asked Qui-Gon to assist in the ceremony.

Lot of fuss about nothing, Serabi said ruefully, inside Obi-Wan's mind. Still, it'll all be over soon.

You're enjoying yourself, Obi-Wan accused him. You don't want to admit it, but you love the attention!

Is that any way to speak to an old man, boy? Serabi joked, giving Obi-Wan a playful nudge in the ribs with the Force.

A hush fell over the room as Qui-Gon stepped to the table, his face lined with sadness and pride. Obi-Wan held his breath as Serabi looked at him with those brilliant gray eyes. Well, here I go, he said wryly. Wish me luck.

Luck! Obi-Wan replied.

He watched as Serabi slowly walked to the front of the hall, embarrassingly aware of all the eyes upon him. As he reached the table where Qui-Gon stood, the younger man picked up the lightsaber in both large hands. "We are here today," he said solemnly, "to acknowledge the feats of a brave and true Jedi. Serabi Tian Eth Tolketh."

Serabi bowed his head at the mention of his name, but Obi-Wan caught the twinkle in his eye. A smile danced on the edge of Qui-Gon's lips.

Qui-Gon continued, igniting the deep green blade of Serabi's lightsaber. "In your years of service to the Jedi Order, to the Republic, and to the Force, you showed skill and courage, strength and kindness, honor and justice. You protected the helpless, sheltered the homeless, fed the hungry, battled the dark side, and desired nothing in exchange for such labors."

The blade flashed and vanished, and Serabi held out his hands. Qui-Gon placed the dented hilt in them and folded his arms. "As you acknowledge this, do you desire the role of teacher and healer that has been offered to you, in the wisdom of your experiences?"

"I do desire it," Serabi said quietly, and Obi-Wan saw with a shock that there were tears glimmering in the old man's eyes.

Qui-Gon bowed deeply. "This is all we may ask of you. We, the Jedi Order, thank you."

As the ancient ritual ended, cheers and clapping rose from the Jedi assembled, even from some of the Council members. Serabi's lined face turned bright red as he bowed to them, then quickly worked his way through the crowd with Qui-Gon only a step behind.

"I suppose that could have gone worse," Qui-Gon said breathlessly.

Serabi grimaced. "Ah well, settling down to a quiet life in the Temple, full of bandaging the little ones and teaching them the ways of the Force..." He trailed off.

"You're not happy?" Obi-Wan asked, concerned.

Serabi flashed a crooked grin at him. "Funny thing is, I am. I know, for a while, I'll miss being out there, saving the galaxy from the dark side, but sooner or later I'd want to sink down and just impart wisdom for a time. Once a Jedi, always a Jedi, but I leave the scampering behind to you younger ones."

"I'll have to remember that," Qui-Gon replied.

Serabi sighed, his smile changing to look slightly wistful. "Come and see me when you're around, won't you both? I don't have family, but you lads are enough."

Qui-Gon grinned and hugged the elderly man. "Promise. Come on, we'll walk you to the healer's wing."

"I'm not THAT old!" Serabi snapped good-naturedly.

Obi-Wan laughed. Pride and happiness filled him--pride for old Serabi, and happiness that this more subdued life would not make him unhappy. The doors clicked shut behind the three Jedi as they left.


Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||