THE MISSION TO RAKARI: Part 2

by:  Cheshire Cat
Feedback to:  cheshire_cat78@yahoo.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Several days prior to Obi-Wan's misspent afternoon, Qui-Gon sat meditating in the quarters he shared with his apprentice. Obi-Wan was off at some lesson, Qui-Gon had forgotten exactly where the boy was. Both of their schedules were very complex. It was hard enough to remember his own, let alone his Padawan's. He was startled out of his reverie by the incessant beeping of his com-link. He sighed, rose from his position on the floor, and answered it.

"Supreme Chancellor Valorum requests an audience with you immediately," came the nasal voice of one of the chancellor's many aides.

With another sigh, Qui-Gon responded. "I'll be there right away." He switched off the com-link and scribbled a note to his apprentice, which he left on their kitchen table.


"Ah, Master Jinn, how good of you to come on such short notice." The chancellor beamed at Qui-Gon. The Jedi Master did not share the chancellor's attitude, but he bowed politely. He was still miffed at being interrupted during his meditation.

"I have need of you in the Rakari system," the chancellor continued. "There is some turmoil there at present and I would like you to escort Her Royal Highness, Princess Talisa, to the family's estate here on Coruscant. My aide will provide you with the more tedious information. You will also meet with the Rakari senator before you go."

"Just how dangerous is the 'turmoil', Chancellor?" Qui-Gon asked, thinking of his Padawan. Obi-Wan was an apt fighter, but he lacked diplomacy - in any way, shape, or form.

"You may take your apprentice along, if that is what worries you, Master Jinn."

"You know me too well, Chancellor," Qui-Gon said with a slight smile. He bowed again, and exited.


(Several days later)

As Obi-Wan sat in his seat, preparing for the transport to take them off Coruscant, he was full of questions. But he was still smarting from his rebuke two days previously. He was not eager to incur Qui-Gon's wrath twice in three days. When he had asked the previous day, his Master had responded curtly, "Since you elected not to attend the meeting with the Rakari senator, you will have to remain in ignorance." Obi-Wan had flinched at that, but remained silent.

Qui-Gon glanced at Obi-Wan. He could sense the boy's impatience and curiosity. With a sigh, he took pity on his Padawan.

"Obi-Wan," he said softly. The boy looked up, eyes full with unasked questions. "We are going to escort Her Royal Highness, Princess Talisa of the Rakari."

"A girl?!" His voice cracked slightly. Qui-Gon fought the smile that crossed his face.

"Yes, well," Qui-Gon coughed slightly. "I have a feeling you won't be wanting to flirt with her. She's only seven years old."

"Oh," the disappointment in his voice was palpable. "Well, if she's only seven, why did the chancellor have to send us? Wouldn't it make more sense to send someone from the-"

Qui-Gon interrupted him smoothly, "Never question your orders, my young apprentice. We are not to know. We are to do."

Obi-Wan chaffed with impatience. He knew that phrase all to well. The Masters said it often to the initiates and Padawans. He ground his teeth in frustration, but said nothing.


The transport ship took three days to reach the Rakari system - days Qui-Gon filled with extra lessons. Obi-Wan was convinced that if Qui-Gon could find a way to lengthen the day to fit in more exercises, he would. Qui-Gon drilled his apprentice in the geography and history of planets Obi-Wan had never visited, nor was he ever likely to. He practiced meditation techniques, as well as fighting ones. In the evenings Obi-Wan crawled, exhausted, into his bunk, certain that he would never please his Master.

Their first view of the third planet in the Rakari system was rather unremarkable. It was sparsely populated, most of the people lived on farms and there were few large cities. The transport was going to the largest city - a town of about 300,000 souls, named Caidoj. Obi-Wan sighed, there was likely little to do in a town of this size. He wondered vaguely what the turmoil that Qui-Gon spoke of entailed. The Rakari people were humanoid in shape, with lavender colored skin and silvery hair, so when the Jedi saw a human woman of about twenty-five with auburn hair waiting for them, they were slightly surprised.

"Greetings Jedi. I am Aya and I am Princess Talisa's nurse. I will escort you to the palace."

"I am Qui-Gon Jinn and this is my apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi," Qui-Gon introduced them both. She curtsied to them both and Qui-Gon bowed in return, elbowing his Padawan to do the same. Obi-Wan was slightly startled. He was well and truly smitten with Aya, but he was quick to follow Qui-Gon's bow with one of his own. His Master shot him a questioning look. Obi-Wan shrugged.

"Tell me Aya," Qui-Gon was saying, "the senator and the Supreme Chancellor both spoke of some sort of turmoil. What is so important? You'll forgive me for saying so, but from what I've seen already this planet looks fairly-"

"Boring," she finished for him. She grinned and Obi-Wan felt his heart beat faster.

She climbed into a small speeder that was waiting for them, motioning for the driver to take control. "About ten years ago, before I came here, before the Princess was born, there was an outbreak of the Isma Plague. The cities were largely abandoned, hence the relatively small populations. The usual famine followed, as there weren't enough peasants left to tend the fields. There was a peasant uprising about a month ago, in which some of the King's cousins and younger brothers were killed. His Majesty thought it prudent to protect his children. Each of the King's five children are being transported to places of safety."

Qui-Gon's eyebrows raised. "Five?"

"Don't worry, Master Jinn," she said with another radiant smile. "You will only transport the young Talisa. You have no need to worry about the others. They will be taken care of."

"A peasant uprising!" Obi-Wan exclaimed in some exasperation. "We came all this way because of a peasant uprising?"

The young woman regarded him coldly. "Death is death, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Whether it is dealt with a lightsabre or a plow hoe, the result is the same."

Qui-Gon smiled wryly at his apprentice's discomfort. He winked at Aya, and she stifled a smile. He knew then that she was well aware of Obi-Wan's attraction to her. He reached out gently with the force, and found her to be well grounded in common sense. He was pleased; it would be a welcome change from Obi-Wan's impetuousness.

Before Qui-Gon could speculate any more about this rather unusual woman, the speeder arrived at the Palace. Neither Jedi was particularly impressed by the Royal Residence. It was a plain building, large and utilitarian. Qui-Gon thought it fit more in the category of 'castle' than 'palace'.

"Welcome to Caidoj Palace gentlemen," said Aya with a slight hint of sarcasm. "I'm afraid that the present hard times have left little in the way of creature comforts." She grinned again. "In fact, it has very little to recommend it. We will proceed directly to the nursery, where Her Royal Highness awaits you." She led the way through a courtyard that had once been beautiful, but now was overgrown and had not been weeded or trimmed in several years. The Jedi followed the young woman down a low, dimly lit hallway to the Royal Nursery. Their first impression of the princess was one of surpassing self-possession, even for a child. Princess Talisa had lavender skin in the manner of her race, and her silvery hair was bound up in intricate braids. She regarded them calmly.

"Hello, and welcome to Caidoj," said the little princess. She only came up to Qui-Gon's waist, so he knelt and looked her in the eye.

"Hello Princess. My name is Qui-Gon Jinn and this is my apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi. We are going to take you to a place called Coruscant. You will be safe there."

"Aya will be coming as well," said Princess Talisa imperiously. Obi-Wan's heart leapt at the chance to spend more time with the pretty young woman.

Qui-Gon nodded slowly. "I suppose that makes sense, seeing as I have no knowledge of your needs." He turned to Aya. "Have you planned for this?"

"Yes, of course," she said, surprised that the Jedi Master was unaware that she was to accompany the tiny princess.

A sound behind them caused them to turn and Aya immediately dropped into a low curtsey and remained there. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon found themselves staring into the eyes of a man with such a regal bearing that he could only be the King. They both bowed.

"Ah, the Jedi, of course. I trust you had a pleasant journey?" The King's voice was well modulated and calm, but just behind the velvet veneer was a backbone of such iron that Obi-Wan struggled not to shift his feet and scuff his toes on the carpeting.

"Yes, Your Majesty," Qui-Gon replied. "Do you wish us to take your daughter with us immediately?"

The King sighed, "It would be best and safest I suppose. Would you be so kind as to allow me a moment to bid my daughter farewell?"

Qui-Gon nodded, and followed by Obi-Wan and Aya, left the nursery.

When the King emerged a few moments later, his eyes were dry, but red-rimmed. The little princess snuffled and clutched at a small, ragged toy. Aya shouldered a bag that contained her and Talisa's clothes and headed for the courtyard.

"Offer to carry the bag for her," Qui-Gon ordered his young apprentice in a low voice.

//What, do I look like an eopie to you?// Obi-Wan thought darkly, but he nodded.

"May I help you with that?" He asked Aya.

"Did you volunteer of your own accord?"

"No, Master Qui-Gon told me to," he admitted.

"Then no, you may not help me. Assistance should be genuine, otherwise you are but a slave," she did not say it harshly, but the words rent the boy's heart.

"But I would have, if I'd have thought of it first," he protested.

Aya laughed, a musical tinkling sound. "Alright then, Obi-Wan, you can carry the bag, if you really want to."


The first day and a half on the transport were uneventful. On the afternoon of the second day, Master and Apprentice were in Cargo Bay Delta practicing dueling when, without warning, the ship dropped out of hyperspace. The sudden change in speed caused Obi-Wan to lose his rather precarious balance, and he fell forward, knocking Qui-Gon off balance as well. The two ended up in an undignified heap on the floor, lightsabres flying from their hands. The Princess and her nurse had been watching them, for lack of anything better to do. Aya applauded sarcastically. "Well done!"

Qui-Gon disentangled himself and rose. He bowed mockingly to the two girls. Obi-Wan merely blushed. He'd hoped to impress Aya with his skill. The match had ended badly.

"What's happened?" asked the Princess.

"I'm about to go find out," Qui-Gon said, heading for the door.

He returned a few moments later. He beckoned to his apprentice and spoke softly, "The hyperdrive generator's intake is polluted. It'll take them awhile to clean it out, but it's nothing serious - nothing they can't fix in a day or so. We're going to land on a nearby planet to take a look at it. From what I could gather, the planet's not inhabited by intelligent life, or if it is, only sparsely, so we shouldn't have anything to fear from those that want to kill the Princess. Plus, the atmosphere is breathable so we'll be able to get some fresh air. "


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||