THE Q MENACE: Part 4

by:  Kathryn Burns
Feedback to:  kathryn@efcnexus.com

Copyright © 1999



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  Star Trek Voyager and associated characters, names and references belong to Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


N.B. Thoughts are in // and Italics.


Obi-Wan's temper was approaching the point of explosion. Q was pushing him past the point of all reason. Q was alot like Bruck, a boy who had endlessly tormented Obi-Wan in his Jedi Academy days. He felt Qui-Gon place a hand on his shoulder. He also felt both Qui-Gon's and Kathryn's annoyance with Q. Obi-Wan felt better knowing that his feelings were justified. //We're in this together, Padawan,// thought Qui-Gon.

//All of us.// added Kathryn.

"How touching." smarted Q.

"You listen," spoke Kathryn, "We've had more than enough of your meddling. Can't you just leave us alone!"

"Well excusez-moi!!! I try to help and THIS is the thanks I get?"

"We don't need any more of your help." Obi-Wan said forcefully.

"Okay, it will be interesting to see how far you get without it. Farewell my love, Au Revoir mon capitan. This ship is sailing away."

After Q left Obi-Wan said, "I don't think he'll be back."

Feeling the doubt behind his words Kathryn said, "Don't count on it."

"Perhaps Padawan, we could find a place to practice lightsaber sparring. Just because we take an unexpected trip doesn't mean your training stops."

Obi-Wan groaned inwardly but said, "Yes Master, the holodeck would work well as a place to spar."

"Just what I was thinking," said Janeway. "I'll take you down there and show you how to use it."

"Your help is appreciated." Qui-Gon said as he bowed slightly to the captain.

"Father, I'll join ya'll (inside joke) later. I'm going to meditate in the garden for a while."

"Very well."

The lightsaber practive went well, better than usual. //Maybe things are looking up.// thought Obi-Wan. He realized he was sweating and grabbed a towel. They had done some sparring, then had practiced fighting some monsters on something called a Klingon exercise program.

"You are improving, Padawan. However, remember that fighting is only a last resort. When one must fight, it must be only to defend oneself or those unable to defend themselves."

"Yes, Master. Thank you."

"Kathryn never joined us," observed Qui-Gon.

"I'll go find her Master." Obi-Wan exited the holodeck and began the walk to the garden room on the other side of the ship. Halfway there the ship rocked and the lights dimmed. "Red alert!!! We've encountered a Borg Vessel. All hands to battlestations."

//Shoot!!!! Q again,// Obi-Wan mentally cursed the omnipotent being responsible for all his ills in this universe. //Better make sure Kathryn's not being bothered by Q.// He jogged down the corridor. He slowed to a halt outside the door and then entered. Five mechanical beings were in the room attacking Kathryn. She cut one in half and if fell and disappeared. Nearly a dozen more appeared as Obi-Wan drew his lightsaber, surrounding Kathryn and separating the two Jedi. Obi-Wan struck the nearest one down, while at the same time mentally calling to Qui-Gon for help. He turned around to face yet another just as Kathryn was overpowered. One of the beings stuck some kind of needle in her neck and she and all the mechanical beings disappeared in a green light. Obi-Wan felt a stab of fear - like a knife twisting in his gut. What scared him the most was not knowing whether it was his or Kathryn's.

//Oh my gosh, It's my fault. I should have known, should have gotten here faster.// Obi-Wan sank to his knees still holding his ignited saber. He closed his eyes in an effort to regain that calm center in his soul but to no avail. The door swished open to reveal Qui-Gon hand on his lightsaber, followed by Captain Janeway, Tuvok, and two unfamiliar men in yellow, presumably security.

Qui-Gon took in the scene, the walls scarred where a battle had taken place, debris on the floor, his apprentice kneeling on the floor, lightsaber still lit - a pained look in his eyes and grief on his face.

Obi-Wan lifted his eyes to face the group. "Master," Obi-Wan's voice cracked, the pain and shock evident to all present, "Master, those . . . Borg took her."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||