THE Q MENACE: Part 31

by:  Kathryn Burns
Feedback to:  kathryn@efcnexus.com

Copyright © 1999

Author's Notes:  This is the last part *sniff sniff* - I'm so sad.  I'm already working on a new story.  Um the song is Tim McGraw's.  All those who give me meaningful feeback will receive their very own Qui-Gon clone!  The clone business in the tradition of Duel of the Fics.  Sorry this story isn't quite THAT funny though.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  Star Trek Voyager and associated characters, names and references belong to Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.
The song used in the story is also not the property of the author. This song is the property of Tim McGraw.


N.B. Song words are in Italics.


"I'm not going." Kathryn shook her head emphatically.

Qui-Gon was amazed at how stubborn his daughter was.

"I'm just as stubborn as you," added Kathryn.

"I know you don't want to be around other people but Neelix is throwing this party in your honor. He's even serving that food he named after you. It's only appropriate that you show up if only for ten or fifteen minutes."

Kathryn looked as though she would insist on not going but instead she said, "Okay, but not for long."

When she arrived at the party Kathryn said hello to a few people then made her way to a table at the back of the holodeck. Tom Paris joined her.

"Hey, how are you doing? Feeling better?"

"I'm okay."

"Neelix was very pleased when you helped him name that dish."

Kathryn suppressed her giggle and instead gave a noncommittal sigh. Paris began to drone on and on and Kathryn tuned him out. Her attention was occupied by the man who had just entered the holodeck, dressed in Jedi garb. He looked up to meet Kathryn's eye and she quickly looked away. When she looked up again she didn't see him anywhere. Paris finally saw someone else to go bug and went to talk to them awhile. Several other people came by and did the formalities. Kathryn had the drill down pat.

First they say hello and ask how I'm doing to which I respond I'm okay whether I am or not. Second, they tell me how sorry they are about what happened, how they understand (which most don't) and how they are happy they could have helped (even if they didn't). They then say something about what monsters the Borg are, see someone else they know and find an excuse to leave.

Suddenly Kathryn heard the strains of a familiar song - the one she and Obi-Wan had danced to. Her heart raced. She felt a tap on her shoulder. It was Obi-Wan.

"Do you want to dance?"

Kathryn stood up and backed away. Then she turned and fled the holodeck. The people stared but moved out of her way. She could get away from Obi-Wan but not the song. Janeway had given permission for the music to be played throughout the ship so those on duty could enjoy it too. She ran to her quarters and knelt on the floor and began to sob. Once that song had begun playing, Obi-Wan had hoped he could get through to Kathryn but she had run.

Qui-Gon came up beside him, "Go talk to her, Obi-Wan."

Obi-Wan nodded and jogged after her. He rang the door chime again and again. After about five minutes without an answer he overrode the locking mechanism and entered.

He found her huddled on the floor, "Go Away," she sobbed.

"No I won't. I love you too much to do that."

Kathryn stopped, "You love me?"

Obi-Wan pulled her to her feet. "Look at me, look into my eyes." She still wouldn't look at him. "I love you. I love you so much, why can't you see that, why can't you see that by pushing me away you're hurting me as well as yourself."

"But Obi-Wan how can you love me after . . ."

"And how can you even ask me that? When Xantos betrayed your father and turned to the dark side - did you think less of your father because of that?"

"No, it wasn't his fault."

"Nor is what the Borg made you do your fault. Look into my eyes Kathryn."

Kathryn looked up and met his eyes. Instead of the feared recrimination, hatred and rejection she saw nothing but warmth, acceptance and love.

"You still love me?"

"Yes, forever, no matter what." He studied her face for a moment. "Kathryn you have to let it go, let your emotions out. If you continue to let them build you'll explode. Let me help you."

When Kathryn hesitated, Obi-Wan put his arms around her and pulled her close. She fell apart, letting go of all the fear, grief and pain. Obi-Wan stood there holding her, stroking her long brown hair gently. Another slow song came on and they began to sway to the music. Kathryn's sobs began to die down as they listened to the words. She rested her head against his chest.

I was standing at the end of my rainbow,
Nowhere to go, no pot of gold in sight.
All my wishes were just way too much to hope for
But when I saw you, I knew I'd seen the light.

And not a moment too soon
Without a minute to spare
You touched my heart
When I didn't have a prayer.
In my darkest hours
With my world filled with gloom
Your sweet love saved me
Not a moment too soon.

I used to think that love would never find me.
And the one who cares is lost somewhere in time
But when you found me, I knew I'd found forever
You rescued me just before I crossed the line.

And not a moment too soon
Without a minute to spare
You touched my heart
When I didn't have a prayer.
In my darkest hours
With my world filled with gloom
Your sweet love saved me
Not a moment too soon.

Your sweet love saved me
Not a moment too soon.

"Not a moment too soon." whispered Kathryn. Obi-Wan leaned over and kissed her - without an interruption from Q this time. After the kiss, the two were startled by the sound of clapping. Q sat in the corner of the room, watching them.

"Must you always do that?" asked Obi-Wan.

"I'm just glad the two of you realized your love for each other - before it was too late. If not for me you would have waited too long. I'm now here to return you. It's been fun but well, one must put their toys away."

Kathryn shouted, "Wait a minute." but it was too late. Q snapped his fingers and the two Jedi found themselves standing in the very spot they had been taken from. They found Qui-Gon standing next to them.

They heard Q's mental voice, "I've returned you at exactly the time and place you left from. I hope we can do this again sometime. Don't worry, I told the Captain that you and braid-boy made up and I thanked her for you. We will do this again sometime. I will be back."

Qui-Gon's communicator beeped. He answered it and spoke with someone for a moment. Then closed the channel and turned to Obi-Wan and Kathryn. He pretended not to notice that Kathryn had her head on Obi-Wan's chest but was secretly pleased.

"That was the Jedi Council - they have another mission for us."

"Master, should we tell them about this?"

"Daughter what do you think?"

"I think not, this should be our little adventure."

"I agree," said Qui-Gon.

"Me too," said Obi-Wan, "I just hope Q doesn't come back."

"Well, whether he does or not, we won't ever have another adventure quite like this one."

"I would tend to agree, daughter, but we'll just have to wait and see."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||