THE Q MENACE: Part 24

by:  Kathryn Burns
Feedback to:  kathryn@efcnexus.com

Copyright © 1999



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  Star Trek Voyager and associated characters, names and references belong to Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Obi-Wan stood outside Kathryn's quarters, fearing what he might find - prepared for the worst, hoping for the best. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, opened them, then pressed the button to open the door. Kathryn was sitting on her bed staring out the window. She didn't look at him or acknowledge his presence. He gasped - she looked so sad, so alone, so empty. He crossed the distance between them and sat next to her.

"Oh, Kathryn," he sighed. "Kathryn please, I love you so much, please let me help you. Please look at me. I can't stand seeing you like this."

He put his hand on her chin and gently turned her head so her head was facing him. He took her hand and squeezed it. She was staring at him blankly. He put his hand on her cheek and gently stroked it. For a moment he thought he saw a Kathryn-like look on her face instead of that blank stare that had occupied her face since he had come in. It was as if she was trying to remember, then it was gone again. She turned to stare out the window again

"Kathryn . . ."

Before Obi-Wan could finish Qui-Gon entered. He looked surprised to see Obi-Wan there.

"Obi-Wan I need to talk to you for a moment, outside."

"No Master, we have to settle this here and now and not leave Kathryn out."

"What?" To anyone but a Jedi Qui-Gon sounded totally calm. But Obi-Wan could detect the anger entering his Master's voice.

Obi-Wan explained, "Master, don't you see? Before Q brought us here we were a team - we were a family. Now, we're all facing this alone. Kathryn's trapped in her own mind, I'm separated from both you and her and you - you want to help her all by yourself - alone."

"That's right, I'm her father. I should be able to help and protect her."

"Master, she knows the risks a Jedi faces and you, are the greatest Jedi Master I have ever known and even you can't change the past. We can't undo what happened to her. All we can do is help her get through it."

"I will help her, I have been helping her. What do you think I've been doing?" Their discussion was becoming rather heated.

Obi-Wan, determined to get through to Qui-Gon, allowed a harsher tone to enter his voice.

"Master, she may be your daughter but she is the woman I love as well. You should at least have the decency to . . ."

"Stop it." The command, while in a soft voice was a strong one indeed. Kathryn was sitting on her bed with her knees brought up to her chest and her arms around her knees. She looked frightened.

"Kathryn, daughter, it's okay." Qui-Gon sat on Kathryn's other side.

Her mind was clouded. She could make the clouds leave but that let memory return and memory brought the pain and fear. No more pain. She had heard two people arguing - she knew them. "Stop it." she had told them. Talking made the clouds go away and fear took over. She knew them - she could trust them. Who were they - she could remember names if she wanted to. No, not yet, wait and maybe face the pain another time - but not now, not yet.

"She came out of it." Obi-Wan was amazed.

"Yes, and you are right, Padawan, you must be allowed to help." Kathryn's outburst had dispelled all anger.

"WE have to help her. The three of us are a team - a family. Together we can overcome this."

Qui-Gon nodded, "Yes, Obi-Wan, we are a family. Ironically, because of our arguement we may now be able to help her heal."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||