THE Q MENACE: Part 19

by:  Kathryn Burns
Feedback to:  kathryn@efcnexus.com

Copyright © 1999

Author's Notes:  There is absolutely zero romantic attraction between Molly Wells and Obi-Wan.  Sorry Molly.  But just think - you do get to hug and comfor the guy.  Molly Wells' function is to be almost a counselor to Obi-Wan.  I figured some of you would read way into this.  In addition I'd also like to add the noted that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have a father/son type relationship.  This story is NOT slashy  Please don't read that far into it - that's disgustin!!!!!  This story is however rated PG-13 by Molly's recommendation for thematic elements, angst, etc.  I do not have nor do I ever intend to have any sex or profanity in my stories.  Violence, while not good appears to be a necessary evil in a fanfic writer's life.  I'm not putting down people who do put this stuff in their stories - I do read some of those - but they will not be in mine.  These were things I felt should be mentioned for one reason or another.  I do have to admit - it can be hard to write a story without profanity because of what the characters would really say.

I appreciate the fact that you continue to read my story.  Do give me feedback.  Feedback does make it easier for the author to write more.  Several feedbacks I've received have either given me ideas or inspired me to write or post another secion.  By the way, any resemblance to another story is purely coincidental.  I wrote these a while ago - just haven't typed them.  I have an unfortunate knack for writing a story and then finding other fanfics that are the same or very similar.  I will try to finish this story before summer's up.  But even if I don't I had already make the committment to finish this story - no matter how long it takes.  I'm thinking of trying a prequel, you know making another Kathryn Jinn story - before this one - maybe including Xanatos.  What do you think?



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  Star Trek Voyager and associated characters, names and references belong to Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


N.B. Thoughts are in // and Italics.


Qui-Gon approached the Borg that was his daughter. The Borg paid absolutely no attention to him. He reached out and placed his hand on the Borg's human side and reached out with his mind, probing, trying to find his daughter. Since the Borg was "asleep" the presence of the collective, while constantly there, was not as strong. His mind found nothing of his daughter as he began to methodically search her mind, from the outside in. He felt the presence of the Captain and ex-Borg approaching. He withdrew his mind.

"We must terminate the regeneration cycle in order to move her." Seven reached for a control panel.

"No, wait." Qui-Gon blocked her hand. "I must try to contact my daughter, she can help us, keep it asleep." Seven looked toward Janeway.

Janeway nodded, "We'll wait until the other teams arrive."

Qui-Gon refocused and once again delved into the Borg's mind. He felt his Padawan's confidence in his abilities, Obi-Wan's love for Kathryn. He searched and was on the verge of giving up when he reached the darkest corner of Kathryn's mind. He reached out and touched an impenetrable wall - one only a Jedi could make.

He probed the wall, found no weaknesses. //How can I contact her if this is in the way?//

Kathryn could feel someone outside her "fort." This wasn't the same relentless force as the Borg but was rather treading softly, almost cautiously in her mind. Should she let him in? What if it was a trick - she would lose herself. But she was getting tired, if she didn't get help soon she'd have to rest and when she finally collapsed so would her walls. She opened her mind just a crack. A man stepped through slowly. It was her father. //Father// she mentally hugged him. //Father is it really you?//

//Yes, we're here on the Borg ship to take you back.//

//Oh Father, I'm so scared. I'm so scared. Please help me.// Kathryn felt the emotions she had been holding back begin to rush forward. She knew if she allowed herself to start feeling them she would not be able to stop them. Her father spoke calmly and rationally though she felt far from that.

//Kathryn, we'regoing to try to move you back to Voyager. But I need your mind to stay open and focused onme. We are not going to wake up the Borg as long as you can help us.//

Didn't he understand - opening up her mind meant really exposing herself to the Borg.//But Father - if I open my mind then they can . . .//

//Trust me, please Kathryn. I'll be with you.//

She hesitated - what if this was really a trap. She felt so lost. //Father, I feel so alone - I'm so scared. Help me but don't make me dothis.// She felt hysteria begin to take its hold on her.

//Kathryn please, let me help you?// she felt her father's sincerity, his love for her, his desire to help her to freedom - and agreed. She opened her mind, dropping the barrier, depending, trusting in her father. She heard the Borg, not as she had observing them but as a part of her - like a consuming parasite. Yet, still, it was controllable. Her father was talking to the others but was also still with her - protecting her.

Qui-Gon backed his mind out enough to speak to the others. Briggs and Kepler were already there. Obi-Wan and Wells were just arriving.

"We can move her now without waking up the Borg part."

"You're in touch with her?" asked Janeway.

"Yes, Can you get those shields down Captain?"

"I think so. Kepler, Briggs, Wells, phasers. Fire at those little power nodes up there."

Janeway aimed her own phaser. They began taking out the nodes. The Borg reacted instantly. One stepped out of its alcove and grabbed Kepler. Kepler paniced but could not stop the Borg from assimilating him. Briggs had rushed to rescue him and found that she was cut off from the rest of the away team. Instinct and fear began to kick in. Sarah Briggs heard Kepler scream for help. She pressed a few buttons, setting the phaser to overload.

Janeway heard rather than saw the explosion - a phaser on overload. Briggs and Kepler!!!

"Janeway to Briggs."

"Janeway to Kepler."

Obi-Wan grabbed her arm, "They're dead, we have to get out of here."

Obi-Wan drew his lightsaber and hesitated for a moment sensing Qui-Gon's distress.

Kathryn felt the Borg that was in her body awaken. She couldn't erect the wall again and her defenses were totally ineffective.

//Father// she screamed. //Help me// She then lost the last bit of herself that she had managed to keep safe for so long - the Borg overcame her.

Qui-Gon was trapped in Kathryn's mind. It was as if he had been in a calm sea that suddenly had turned into a raging ocean. No land in sight, nor any sign of Kathryn either. He urgently called to Obi-Wan //Get us out of here!// praying that his Padawan would hear. If he could not get away from this ship soon and get out of Kathryn's mind he might succumb to it as Kathryn appeared to have. If they could just get away from it . . . everything could be alright again . . .

Obi-Wan heard his Master's urgent call and using his already lit saber he slashed through as much machinery and Borg as he could. He paused for a moment but before he could resume his desperate attempt to disrupt the shields he felt the sensation of the transporter as Voyager beamed them out.

The doctor was waiting for them. He sedated Kathryn with a weird looking instrument and she slumped to the floor. With her under, Qui-Gon was able to pull his mind out. The waiting medical team loaded her onto a gurney of sorts and proceeded to carry her with the rest of the away team following close behind. At the door of the sickbay the team carried Kathryn on in but the doctor stopped and spoke, "It would be best if none of you were in there."

"I'm staying, Doctor." stated Qui-Gon.

"Oh, of course my statement doesn't apply to you." The doctor assented.

"I'm staying too." spoke Obi-Wan.

"No, Padawan, your help will be needed on the bridge with the Borg."

"But Master . . ."

"No," said Qui-Gon abruptly.

Obi-Wan reluctantly nodded and turned. Wells put her arm around Obi-Wan and said, "Come on let's go."

"Doctor?" asked Janeway.

"Captain, I'll do my best."

Janeway nodded, turned and headed for the bridge.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||