THE Q MENACE: Part 14

by:  Kathryn Burns
Feedback to:  kathryn@efcnexus.com

Copyright © 1999



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  Star Trek Voyager and associated characters, names and references belong to Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


N.B. Thoughts are in // and Italics.


Obi-Wan was cutting down Borg, like he had on the holodeck except this time not in the revenge driven madness and these were real - they could hurt him just as easily as he could hurt them. He was fighting to defend people, living breathing beings. He found it odd that he could kill these Borg and not feel the dark side. They had taken a part of him and yet he could not kill them in hatred and anger as he had thought. He felt a hand on his shoulder - a Borg hand, he swung his lightsaber around but stopped when he saw the face. The Borg didn't move either, just stared.

"Kathryn, Kathryn please come back with me to Voyager - I love you too."

His hesitation in striking a blow caused him not to see the Borg's other hand swing until it was too late. He fell to the ground unconscious.

//NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!// Kathryn mentally screamed. //I can't hurt Obi-Wan - can't let him get assimilated.// Kathryn fought against her chains. This impenetrable wall that all Jedi coulderect in an emergency kept her mind or part of it - the very core of her being - safe, but the Borgcould keep her trapped indefinitely. She stopped for a moment. Then realized what she was doing wrong. She was trying todefeat them by force. When she had broken through before it had been because of love. Sheallowed her love for Obi-Wan to fill her "cell" then let it drift out thru the bars into the collectivemind who balked. They didn't understand it. She looked - all the other Borg had either been killed or had stopped to consider thefeeling coming from one of their drones. They were already analyzing it, finding a way around it,to cover it up. She realized - //I don't have much time.// She looked around and saw her hand poised at Obi-Wan's neck, ready to assimilate him. She looked up and saw Qui-Gon turn and see her for the first time. A look passed between them that said I know I can't get there in time to save him if you decide to assimilate him and I also know that attempting to stop you might cause you to hurt him. I have faith that the Kathryn in there will not allow him to be assimilated. Qui-Gon waited. Kathryn slowly removed her hand and Qui-Gon began to approach slowly. Kathryn rejoiced once again - freedom was so near. The Borg transporter was activated then, taking freedom and hope away once more.


Obi-Wan woke in sickbay. He started to sit up.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. With that nasty cut on your head you probably have amconcussion, not to mention a killer headache." Obi-Wan ignored him. "Don't say I didn't warn you." The doctor was busy treating other, more seriously injured patients.

Obi-Wan closed his eyes and used the force to heal the cut. He stood up to leave and the doctor came over to stop him.

"I have to find Master Qui-Gon."

"No, first you have to heal."

"I'm okay, Doctor, Take a look." The Doctor looked at where the cut had been and seeing only a scar scanned Obi-Wan with some kind of cylindrical device.

"I guess the saying should be changed to Patient heal thyself. You're free to go, though, personally, I'd wish you'd leave the healing to more qualified personnel."

"Thank you doctor." Obi-Wan exited sickbay and met Qui-Gon just outside the door.

"You're okay, Padawan?"

"Yes Master."

"I'm sorry I was not here sooner but the captain needed some information about the battle on the surface."

"Master, why do I seem to sense that you have good news and bad news for me? What is it?"

"The good news is that Voyager can now get within transporter range."

"And the bad?"

"The Borg have just developed some kind of anti-beam shield."

"Then are they giving up? I know Kathryn's in there. That's why I'm here."

A voice from behind them spoke, "Hey braid-boy, having a tough week are we?"

Q. Obi-Wan turned, "My week was just great until I ran into you. If it weren't for you, Kathryn would not have been assimilated."

"Oh, you would be breaking my heart - if I had one. Listen, braid-boy, this is not my fight you have to do this on your own."

"Is there nothing you can do?" asked Qui-Gon.

"Well, I thought you didn't need any more of my help!"

"We do need your help now," said Qui-Gon, "Will you please help us?"

"Make up your minds - do you or don't you want my help? Well, braid-boy."

"Yes, we do need your help - this time." said Obi-Wan

"Can you get us on the Borg ship?" asked Qui-Gon.

Q rolled his eyes, "Can I get you on the Borg ship - ha! I'm omnipotent. I can do anything. Of course I can get you on the Borg ship. The only reason I'm helping you morons is for Kathryn and her sake only. I happen to like the girl. But after that you are on your own. I can't fight your battle for you."

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan both bowed.

"First I suggest you tell Janeway what you plan to do. I am not going to transport you back so you'll need her help. Be ready to go and assembled in one hour. I'll be back to transport you." Q snapped his fingers and disappeared.

"I bet that was hard for you, conceding that you needed his help."

"Very, Master. Believe me it was very hard."

"Let's go talk to the Captain, Padawan."

"Oh, I'm sure she'll be thrilled." Obi-Wan said sarcastically.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||