THE Q MENACE: Part 1

by:  Kathryn Burns
Feedback to:  kathryn@efcnexus.com

Copyright © 1999

Author's Notes:  This story will be updated and edited many times. Keep coming back. This story will continue with my friend, Molly's help -she is the Q expert so if you need help with him you can contact her through me.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  Star Trek Voyager and associated characters, names and references belong to Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


N.B. Thoughts are in // and Italics.


Master Qui-Gon Jinn was giving his Padawan a Lightsaber lesson. Obi-Wan had improved much since their last time. Kathryn Jinn, Qui-Gon's daughter looked on in interest. She had beaten Obi-wan the week before. But since she was a knight and Obi-Wan just a Padawan she was supposed to be better. Thanks to the practice by the Jedi council of assigning one knight to each master and padawan at one point in the Padawan's training. It was the will of the force that Qui-Gon's daughter was the Jedi Knight working with them. Qui-Gon blocked one of Obi-wan's swipes with the saber. Obi-Wan was very skilled for a Padawan still he had a lot to learn. He is headstrong and easy to anger. Yet still he controlled it well. He had become almost like a son to Qui-Gon.

Obi-Wan spoke, "Master can we do something else perhaps? We've been working at this lightsaber training for weeks now and I must admit it's getting rather, well, boring."

Qui-Gon held back a smile. Obi-Wan was really tired. "Patience my young Padawan. You must master these skills before we can move on to other things."

Before Obi-Wan could argue there was a sudden flash of light. Qui-Gon saw that Kathryn reacted quickly and had her saber at a ready position. Obi-Wan's had also turned from their duel and was focused on the man standing before them. Qui-Gon sensed power beyond what he had ever imagined, contained within the mind of this strangely dressed man before them. The man was dressed in a red uniform - one that Qui-Gon had never seen before. Qui-Gon sensed the confusion from his Jedi companions - this man had the power beyond that of a master and seemed to have had no training at all.

The man spoke, "Oh, Puhleese, the Q are born with knowledge needed to use our omnipotent powers. Training is a useless mortal exercise. Oh, I'm sorry," he said stepping closer to the three Jedi, "I forgot to introduce myself, My name is Q. And you three are Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Kathryn Jinn."

Qui-Gon nodded but the being wasn't focused on him. He was staring at Obi-Wan with obvious disdain. The being suddenly disappeared and then reappeared right in front of Obi-Wan.

He leaned over into Obi-Wan's face and said, "I heard that! How dare you insult me. Don't forget, I am superior to every other lifeform in the entire universe. And I have been known to blink away the existence of lesser lifeforms than you for lesser insults.

Qui-Gon intervened, "That won't be necessary."

"You are right about that Jedi master - that pathetic lifeform over there is not worth the effort." He walked over to Kathryn "Enchante" he said bending and kissing her hand "I'm Q."

Kathryn accepted the handshake and responded, "So I heard. My name is Kathryn."

"And you are just as beautiful - if not more so - than dear old Kathy on the good ship lollipop."

"What's a lollipop?" asked Obi-Wan moving closer to Kathryn.

"The good ship Voyager - braid boy."

"The braid symbolizes that I'm a Padawan to Master Qui-Gon to learn the ways of the force."

"Sorry O be a wimp, Kenobi - I seem to sense that you need an adventure, so does dear Kathy. Be careful what you wish for - cause this time your going to get it."

Qui-Gon sensed that if something was not done - things were going to get pretty nasty, but, before he could speak he saw another flash of light and then the bridge of an unfamiliar starship. There were many more people wearing the strange, slightly altered version of the uniform he had seen on the Q creature. He took in his surroundings - Obi-wan was on his left, Kathryn on his right. In front of him sat a man and a woman who appeared to be in charge. There was one exit - through what looked like an elevator shaft, and a viewscreen behind them. There was also no sign of the Q Man?

The woman in charge jumped up from her chair and barked "Who are you and what are you doing on my ship?"

Qui-Gon noticed that everyone on that level of the ship had what looked like the altered handle of a lightsaber pointed at them. He assumed they were guns of some sort or maybe they were lightsabers - but few of these people had any abilities in that area. He felt Obi-Wan reach for his lightsaber but Qui-Gon made a motion not to.

"I'm Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. This is my apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi, and my daughter Jedi Knight Kathryn Jinn. I'm sorry that I can't explain how we got here. We're from the Republic based on Coruscant. We met a creature who called himself a Q - very powerful,"

"And insulting," inserted Obi-Wan.

"being. We would appreciate any help you can offer us in finding our way back to our home."

The woman spoke again, "So you aren't Q?"

"No m'am," said Kathryn - he just brought us here."

"Did he say anything to you?"

Obi-Wan answered her question - "He said that he thought we needed an adventure and so did dear old Kathy."

The woman cursed. "I assume then that you are Kathy?" asked Qui-Gon.

"Captain Kathryn Janeway, I apologize for seeming rude but we have had some unpleasant experiences with the Q before."

"It's quite all right - Can you help us get home?"

I'm sorry I don't think we can help you - the places are unfamiliar to us."

"Perhaps if you could give us coordinates of your world we could locate it," interjected a dark skinned man with pointed ears. Qui-Gon sensed much repression of emotion from him.

"You've never heard of the Republic? Or Jedi? Or the Force? Or Anything?," asked Obi-Wan in disbelief.

"No I'm afraid not Mr. Kenobi."

Q appeared or flashed perhaps was the better term. Don't bother with the coordinates braid-boy, you are from a galaxy far far away from here."

"Q!" yelled Janeway, "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, don't worry Kathy, I'm not here to chase after you again. You have made your feelings quite clear on that matter."

"That's good to hear."

"I'm here for this lovely lady," Q gestured toward Kathryn Jinn. Kathryn could sense the laughter and relief in the minds of the foreign crew and wondered just what having this weird Q guy after you meant. The man at the helm laughed aloud.

"Mr. Paris?" Janeway corrected him.

Qui-Gon looked mildly amused which was the feeling Kathryn had on her face. Obi-wan on the other hand moved in front of Kathryn protectively.

"Leave her alone you ndjsjh (an extreme insult in one of the Star Wars languages).

"I do believe you're jealous. I have an idea - how about a contest for Kathy's love. You against me. What do you say - or are you afraid that you might lose?"

"A Jedi is never afraid."

"Oh, I promise you by the end of what I have planned you will be"

"And what exactly do you mean by that?"

"Just what it sounds like."

"Excuse me you two but I do have a say in who I like and who I don't and who I choose to date etc."

"But Kathy I love you - you must love me," said Q breaking into some foreign song using that very phrase. "What do you think?" he asked when he was finished.

"You are a swaggering, arrogant, presumptuous, scruffy looking nerf herder."

"You are saying that I, Q, the omnipotent, am scruffy looking."

"You forgot swaggering, arrogant and presumptuous," inserted Tom Paris.

Q put his hand over his heart as if he had been stabbed, "You wound me, mon amour, you are supposed to call me handsome perhaps even dashing - sweeping you off your feet and away from your galaxy and even bringing two friends for our wedding."

"Well I guess you don't know everything about women yet."

//So true// thought Janeway, //I feel sorry for that girl//

The entire bridge's attention was riveted on the scene in front of them. What happened next surprised everyone - even Kathryn. Kathryn marched over to Obi-Wan and firmly pressed her lips against his. Obi-Wan savored the moment. After a few seconds Kathryn started to let go but they kissed again and it turned into a long long kiss. Kathryn really did like him and Obi-Wan in the second kiss knew the truth. Qui-Gon thought he might burst out laughing. He had known for over a year that his Padawan and his daughter were attracted to one another. Yet they had hidden from themselves and from each other. He just hoped the two could find the happiness in marriage that seemed to have eluded him.

Tom broke the moment by inputing "Gee are they ever gonna come up for air?"

Harry added "If they're acting then they are verrrrry good at it."

"I think they like each other," B'elanna said.

Seven asked "What is the significance of their action?"

"It's called kissing Seven," said Harry.

"It's the way humans show an affection for one another - by kissing on the lips," inputed Tom, "And these two are pretty good at it. How long have they been at it? What - 3 minutes?"

"2.437659 minutes, Lieutenant," answered Tuvok with his usual Vulcan efficiency.

At which Q got a thoughtful look on his face, announced "I'll be back," and disappeared.

Seven asked another question. "This procedure of showing affection for a fellow human by pressing the lips together, does it precede or follow reproduction?"

"I see that we are going to have to work on your people skills, Seven." responded Janeway.

After pulling away from the kiss, Kathryn turned on her heel, and walked off the bridge into the elevator thing. When the doors closed she sank onto the floor, breathless. She felt Qui-Gon's amusement at the situation and encouragement. She heard him say

//Well daughter you finally did what I knew you were destined to do. I knew the moment the two of you met that youwere meant for one another. I wish you happiness//

//Happiness you never had Father?//

//Your mother was an amazing woman but she never forgave me for bringing you into the world of the Jedi. After it was discovered that you had potential the marriage fell apart. She wasa non-Jedi but she knew me so well that she might as well have been a Jedi.//

//What is Obi-Wan thinking?// She had closed her mind off to him.

//He is amazed. He loves you.//

//I know//

//And you love him.//

//Yes Father, very much. The council won't like it will they?//

//No but they are so used to me breaking the rules that for you to do so will only seemnatural. You must follow your own destiny in your own way - not theirs. Remember if you dothe right thing for the wrong reason it is worse than doing//

//The wrong thing for the right reason. I remember Father.//

//Don't forget - love is of the light side of the force.//

//Thank you for your blessing Father - I love you.//

//I love you too, Kathryn//

Meanwhile on the bridge, Obi-Wan was standing open-mouthed, staring at the place where Kathryn had disappeared to. His mind was racing. He loved her. In that instant he knew that all the other men Kathryn had had chasing after her were nobodys. She had loved him all along. The man at the helm called Tom Paris interrupted his thoughts.

"He, I think you can close your mouth now. That's some girl."

"Woman, Mr. Paris," corrected Chakotay, "And she sure is."

Obi-Wan turned to see how his master viewed the situation. Obi-Wan saw no malice or negative emotions on his face - where a smile still played across his lips. Qui-Gon nodded towards the turbolift indicating that Obi-Wan should follow. Obi-Wan mentally thanked his master and left.

After the turbolift had carried Obi-Wan down Janeway turned to Tuvok and said "Mr Tuvok why don't you see what you can do about getting our friends some quarters?"

Tuvok walked up to Qui-Gon and said, "Mr. Jinn, if you will follow me I will escort you to your quarters."

Qui-Gon nodded and the two of them disappeared into the turbolift.

After they had gone Mr. Paris made the remark "Voyager - Life on the Bridge the action never ends."

"Mr. Jinn, these are your quarters, your daughter's are on your right and your apprentice's on your left. The Captain will want to discuss the situation with you later. If you need anything please come to me with it. Unless you have further need of me, I must report to the bridge."

"Just a moment, Mr. Tuvok, you have the ability to use the force correct?"

"If you are referring to the use of my mental abilities you are correct."

"Then why do you repress your emotions - that presents even more danger than releasing them."

"It is the way of my species. If you will excuse me." Tuvok turned and walked out, leaving Qui-Gon mulling over how different telepathic abilities were treated here - wherever here was.


Kathryn had had no idea where she was going but she found herself in a beautiful garden. //A garden on a ship in the middle of space? Isn't that strange?// She looked out one of the viewports - it was funny really - the stars looked the same - even in a totally different galaxy. She was watching them so intently that she didn't hear or sense the approach of Q.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and heard him say "Beautiful aren't they? I could take you to any one of them that you see or to any of them that you don't."

"Why don't you take the three of us back home?" She turned around to face him. He held a rose in his hand which he held out to her. She took it - a little confused.

"Your favorite I believe."

Kathryn laughed - this man was really full of it. The man bowed to her and vanished again.

Little did Kathryn realize the reason for Q's appearance. Obi-Wan had seen the two of them talking and of course laughing at something. She looked like she was having a good time with that . . . that . . . thing. Q was so strong however, that he dampened the sharpness of the Jedi's skills.

//How could Kathryn not like him - he's so powerful. But power can't buyhappiness. So maybe she doesn't like him.// He didn't talk to Kathryn like he planned - instead heturned on his heel and headed to find someone to tell him where to go.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||