A PROMISE FULFILLED: Part 2

by:  My-Gin-Gone
Feedback to:  Spacefan@cybergal.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  The character of Ardeth Fey is from the movie "The Mummy" which belongs to Universal Pictures.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn eats his meal slowly. He looks tired, worn down. There are streaks of grey in his beard and mane. He has been silent throughout the meal.

You pour more tea into his cup. Large hands dwarf the tiny cup. He drinks the steaming liquid slowly.

"I'll draw you a warm bath." You say getting up from the chair.

"No. I'd rather go to bed." Jinn answers softly while raking the last of the meal off his plate and onto his fork. He stuffs it into his mouth, dabs his face with a napkin and saunters out of the kitchen.

After finishing the last of the dishes, you lock up the house for the night. You turn the generator down and shut off the perimeter lights. A light is on in the kids' bedroom.

Jinn kneels next to their bed stroking their little faces. He tucks their blanket around them and kisses them delicately on their foreheads. He exits the room silently, barely giving you a look. You turn off the light leaving your children to sleep in peace.

Qui awakens in the middle of the night to the sound of speeders, hooting voices and loud music. With his arm and leg still around you, he checks to see if you're all right. Seeing that you're soundly sleeping he checks on his children. They are fine.

The cacophony outside builds to a climax. He goes to a window but notices the metal shutters are in place. In the distance he hears glass breaking and movement. Closing his eyes and concentrating, Qui-Gon sees the group of young men and women moving away on their speeders.

Relaxing, the master climbs back into bed and tries his best to go to sleep.


"Shh..." You whisper to Niti who begs to be carried. "You don't want to wake daddy."

It's time for you to go to work and as usual your children accompany you. Even though Qui is home you decide to take them anyway. With no baby-sitter (except for Devi at certain times), the housemistress reluctantly agreed to allow Sakeri and Niti to join you.

Kissing them reassuringly, you all pile into the family speeder and head into town under the darkened sky. They will sleep on the hour ride to town and sleep for another hour while you clean the lady's house-- for the next five hours.


Qui-Gon awakens with a start.

Was it all a dream?

Reality dawns. No, it is a nightmare. Xanatos is still in meditative isolation for inappropriate behavior. And yes he has awakened alone yet again.

Through his bond, he searches for you.

You stop humming and scrubbing the floor when you notice the lady of the house standing before you.

"Mrs. Fey-Jinn," Mrs. Erling says tapping her high-heels on the intricately tiled floor.

"Yes madame." You say sitting on your haunches.

"One of your children has broken a precious vase."

Your eyes dart to Niti and Sakeri who sit quietly in a corner playing with the many toys you brought to keep them occupied.

"Really? When? Which one?"

"I'm not exactly sure when but," She pauses flinging her flaming red hair over her shoulder, "it was the lavender and green vase in the study. A family heir loom." Her gaze is spiteful.

You purse your lips. That study is always locked. You never go in there and clean. And you know your kids have never been in there. Her kids on the other hand...

Mrs. Erling's eyes narrow, "I can add this to your debt or deduct it from your pay. Which do you want?"

Arguing with her is pointless. Besides you need the work, "Deduct it from my pay please." You say humbly knowing either way you're screwed.

"Try to keep them under control or else I'll be forced to forbade their coming with you."

"Yes madame."

She walks away. You sigh and resume scrubbing the tile. The hallway is just about done. After this you have to dust then vacuum and then you can go home. At which time you have to prepare the kids' lunch.

The doorbell chimes. Sakeri toddles over to you and hands you a stuffed animal. You make it talk just the way he likes. He chuckles with delight. Kissing him you send him off to the corner and resume your work.

Shish, shish, shish. The bristles grind against the intricately carved tiles. Shish...shish...thump...thump.

"Chana."

You dunk the brush in the bucket and scrub the area once more.

"Chana."

Hearing your name, you straighten. Your mouth drops. Jedi Knight Ardeth Fey stands in the doorway. You are speechless.

"Honey?" You say softly, "Is that you?"

He nods slowly. Before you know it you're running to him. Squeezing him tight, your damp clothes soak through to his.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." You say pulling away.

Ardeth shakes his head, "Qui-Gon told me you were here. But why?"

There is tiredness to his voice. The edge is gone.

"I have to finish working." The kids stir in the corner.

His expression softens upon seeing them, then abruptly hardens.

"Get your things we are going home."

"CHANA!" Mrs. Erling storms into the hall. Her voice echoes off the high ceiling, "I told you no visitors!"

"This is my--"

"I don't care! He must--"

"Your work here is finished." Ardeth says waving his hand.

"Your work here is finished." Mrs. Erling repeats

"You may go home now."

"You may go home now."

He turns to you, "Get your things."

"Get your things." She echoes.

"I'll get the children." Ardeth continues.

"I'll get the children." The lady repeats.

Ardeth shoots her a dangerous look. She bows and leaves the room.

Sakeri screams a bloodcurdling howl through teary eyes as he wiggles out of Ardeth's grip to go back to you. Niti clings to your legs in terror. Both children stare at the two giant men who are their fathers. Sitting on the sofa, you comfort the frightened children.

"You don't want to go to your daddy?" You ask the two.

They shake their heads in a resounding NO! Kissing their teary cheeks you apologize to Qui and Ardeth.

"No. It is understandable. They do not know us." Qui says heavily. He is hurt, "Of course they are frightened."

Qui plops down in a chair while Ardeth sits on the floor. Niti continues to cry and rubs her eyes. She yawns followed by her little brother.

"It's time for their nap."

Ardeth puffs silently feeling the gravity of the news. He now knows that in this house is all that is left of his family on Titan. You nervously pick your nails wondering if they should hear more.

"Chana why haven't you been shopping?" Qui demands coming into the living room.

"I have." You bite your lower lip.

"There's barely enough to feed the kids for the rest of the week."

"I have some preserved foods, it will be enough." You mutter blushing. "Besides I have no more money."

"This is ridiculous. The cupboards are mostly empty. The house is half stocked." Qui yanks open the living room curtain, "The shutters don't even open. Woman what have you been doing with the money we've been sending you?"

"I can't afford the parts for the servo-motors..."

"Why not?" Ardeth jumps up and flicks the switch to the shutters. The motors lurch and grind. The shutters quake, then there is silence, "I just want to come home and rest. That's all. And the only thing I ask is that my house be in order."

"I had to make some choices." You sigh, "And the shutters were not one of them."

"Without the bloody lights we'd be living in a cave." Qui snaps. "Just go into town...never mind, I'll go into town and get some supplies."

"We have no money." You repeat, "and I won't get paid for another three days."

"You have money saved don't you?" Ardeth grills.

"No." You answer quietly, embarrassed beyond all belief.

"NO?!" They bark.

You flinch.

"Why?" Qui snarls, "Did you go through all the credits we sent you?"

You try to steady your voice, "The only money we have to live on are the credits from my retirement, my cleaning job and my work at the store. And that's only part time because I can't be away from the kids too long. And my retirement benefits will be cut off soon because I left the service too young."

"Chana the stipend." Ardeth insists.

"We haven't received that for almost three years now." You fold your arms.

They eye you with disbelief.

Shrugging, you explain, "Someone at the temple contacted me. We went to Coruscant and they pointed out that the diversion of funds was affecting your well being out in the field. They said you have responsibilities to your padawans--"

"SO YOU TOOK THE FOOD OUT OF MY CHILDREN'S MOUTHS?!" Qui thunders. "Chana we can fend for ourselves."

"Have you lost your mind?!" Ardeth barks at you.

Openly quivering, "I..um..they said," You swallow, "something about a battle, transportation for you and your padawans and....and money for food and shelter. They told me I was depriving your padawans of proper care."

You wipe your eyes. Ardeth grabs your hand.

"Where's your wedding ring?"

Timidly you answer, "I hocked it."

You're not sure but you think you heard a snarl. Your tears flow freely as you are made out to be the most incompetent gundark this side of the Republic. There is a banging at the door. You fix yourself as best you can.

"Ahh...Mrs. Fey-Jinn." Lord Savill croons.

You dart outside shutting the door behind you. They definitely don't need to hear this.

"It seems your interpretation of the statutes was incorrect." His hand caresses your long hair. Cold grey eyes scan your neck and face, "It is three years and one day. And your day is up."

"My lord." You try to pull away but he holds you close.

"Your spouses have not returned." Savill's mouth nearly traces your neck, "Let me help you."

You try to turn away feeling Ardeth near, "No thank you my lord."

"Who is this?" Ardeth growls standing in the doorway.

Still hold of you, Savill eyes your life mate.

"Taken on a new friend?" He grins.

Ardeth yanks you away from Savill. His vice like grip hurts you.

"I am Ardeth Fey owner of this property and you *will* vacate the premises immediately." He stands over the garishly dressed man.

Qui steps onto the front porch placing himself between you and Lord Savill.

"Ahh...the elusive one. I see you're back. Just in time no less. Well no matter. If the fees are not paid, you'll just have to leave again anyway." He nods to you, "I will see you later."

The Jedi advance until Savill leaves. Their hostile glares dart to you.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||