A PROMISE FULFILLED: Part 1

by:  My-Gin-Gone
Feedback to:  Spacefan@cybergal.com



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  The character of Ardeth Fey is from the movie "The Mummy" which belongs to Universal Pictures.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Grind! Grind! Crunch!

You twist the gear apparatus again with your wrench. The shutters won't budge. The metallic shades covering the windows on your house jar suddenly then cease.

"Damn." You grit and try twisting the gear again. It's been a week since they've opened and the house is starting to feel like a cave.

"Troubles again dear one?" A man's voice asks.

You freeze recognizing its owner. The newly appointed governor over the Sa'ered regions--His Lordship of the Sovereign Territories Nelek Savill or Lord Savill for short. That's what he likes to call himself though he is of no royal blood. He's just
slimy politician who knew how to buy the right friends.

Turning around you bow, "My Lord." You squint in the mid-afternoon sun.

Savill studies you. His garish purple tunic and trousers always sets him apart from the locals. People never dress like that around here.

"Fey-Jinn, yet more trouble on the homestead?" He motions for you to rise.

"No my lord." You straighten the creases on your tunic and pants. No matter how many layers of clothing you wear, it still feels like he can see right through them. "Typical maintenance."

"I see." He gazes at your home which has seen better days. "Interesting. How long has it been? Three years now?"

"I do not understand your grace."

"Since the departure of your life mates-- Fey and Jinn."

You do not answer. You know where this discussion is leading. You saw the holonet this morning.

"I'm quite sure you have read the new statutes on property taxes."

"Yes my lord."

He pulls out a data pad, "The land is in Ardeth Fey's name."

"Yes my lord."

"You are behind on your taxes."

"Yes my lord."

"Will they be paid?"

"Yes my lord."

"When?"

"The end of this week." Trying not to roll your eyes, the words drip icily out of your mouth.

He knows very well that up until a year ago you've been paying the taxes and signing Ardeth's name to the receipts until you were told to stop. Only the official holder of the land may make the payments unless otherwise stipulated on the deed. Qui's name is other name on the deed.

"I see." Savill surveys the land around your house and spies a couple of pairs of eyes peeking at him through the screen door. "And then there are the matrimonial statutes. The abandonment laws are quite strict in these parts. They have been gone for three years."

You do not answer. The years of separation have been difficult and demanding. Qui-Gon and Ardeth have long since returned to the Jedi Temple in order to serve the Republic. And because of this, you and your children may lose your home. The alternative is to void the bonding with Qui-Gon and Ardeth (which will happen according to local law if they don't show up soon) and bond with another in hopes that he will take on the debt for you in order to act as a guarantor. The new council doesn't seem to trust the judgment of women.

Times have changed on Titan.

"I believe the statute reads that three years and one week constitutes abandonment my lord." You motion for your children to get away from the door.

He chuckles, "Do you suppose by magic these men who sired your children will suddenly appear after all this time?"

You stare at the dusty porch. It is time to prepare dinner. You wish he would leave. Food is short this week.

"I didn't think so." Lord Savill approaches you. He whispers into your ear, "I can lift the lien on your property. If you so desire." Hot breath beads against your flesh.

Pulling away, "Your gift is greatly appreciated but not desired my lord. If you will excuse me, I must attend to my family."

You bow briefly and practically run into the house slamming the door. Your eyes are greeted by Devishah holding Sagirah-Nituna, Qui's sienna haired little girl while Ardeth's son Sakeri clings to his grandmother's skirt. She looks just as tired as you, even more so. Since the death of her husband and his mother from illness, the spark has left Devi's eyes.

"It is time for me to go," Devi says kissing Sagirah and Sakeri, "Gilat and her husband are waiting for me."

"So," You swallow with effort, "This is it. You really are leaving."

She nods slowly. Deep brown eyes gaze at you with love and anguish. Sakeri begs for his grandmother to pick him up. She gladly obliges.

"You sure you don't want to stay?" You choke.

"There are too many memories here for me." She gazes into the eyes of her grandson.

You nod agreeing.

"Come with us." Devi smiles, "I am sure they would not mind."

"No. It would not be right." You answer sweetly knowing Ardeth's sister Gilat never really liked you.

The last time you spoke to Gilat, she told you flat out that her mother was going to live with she and her family. And how Devi's remaining years would be spent in comfort-- not acting as a nurse maid for you.

Gilat never understood your relationship with Devi. Devi is your friend, mother and confidant. These years without Ardeth and Qui have been excruciatingly tough...but Devi along with your children made life worth living.

"Are you certain? I'm sure something can be arranged." Sakeri wiggles in his grandmother's arms.

Your time with her is treasured but then again blood is thicker than water, "Yes I am. It is only right. We would be in the way. They are wealthy. You will be happy."

Devi rocks her grandson slowly kissing him as Sagirah-Nituna plays at her feet.

Kissing Ardeth's child for the last time, she says quietly, "They will come back."

"I know."


You kiss Niti and Sakeri's sweet sleeping faces. Though they both favor you more than their fathers'...Qui and Ardeth have left their mark on their children.

Sakeri has his daddy's coloring. Wavy hair as black as obsidian, skin the color of ginger and hazel eyes to match.

Sagirah's sienna hair is a tad darker than Qui-Gon's. Fair complected with cerulean blue eyes-- sometimes she has a look of serenity you thought only possible in the Master.

Sighing you look around the spare bedroom, which has once again become a nursery. Ardeth and Qui have given you four children now. Unlike Obi-Wan and Nurit, little Sakeri and Niti did not pass the tests. They will not be trained in the ways of the Jedi.

Silently picking up toys and clothes, you wonder if Qui and Ardeth will be disappointed when they come home and see them here. You were ecstatic when they did not pass-- little did you know, they may have had a better life at the Temple.

You leave the door open and make your way to the kitchen.

"Alderaan, where peace and serenity are at one in the galaxy...? ' The commercial drones on the holonet.

Strewn on the table are several pamphlets with different offers for cheap transportation off planet to various systems.

"The Royal Family Organa benevolently rule this beautiful planet..."

It's only a matter of time before you'll lose the house; the taxes are too high to maintain. Ardeth and Qui's stipend stopped coming long ago. Now you work part time at a couple of jobs whose pay is barely enough to feed your children and keep the utilities turned on.

"Jobs, commerce, shopping, hunting-- these are but some of the treasures Alderaan has to offer."

Wistfully you remember the tons of credits you received as a soldier. Unfortunately that life has left you with no skills that can translate to work on planet in the private sector.

Chewing on the children's leftovers, you examine the brochure for Alderaan.

"Alderaan." The glossy brochure is filled with pictures of beautiful forests, blue oceans, low unemployment and a peaceful happy people. "A constitutional monarchy. That can't be too bad."

The door chimes. Edgy, you check the chrono. This is the time of night when the nomads begin their raids. They'll do anything to get inside.

You reach into a top cabinet and pull out a blaster. You check the charge and head for the door.

"Who is it?" You bark.

No answer.

"Who is it?!" You demand setting your weapon to kill.

"Jinn." The voice replies calmly.

What?!

Chana let me in.

Not caring to crack open the door first to check, you hurriedly open the locks.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||