PAST TENSE RISING: Part 1

by:  Bridget
Feedback to:  callistolin@prodigy.net



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Note: Thoughts are in * and Italics.


"I don't like this," Erju said, his arms folded in front of him. "I really, really don't like this. I think I might have mentioned this before."

Callisto looked up at is towering form. "Yeah, you might have mentioned it about thirty times or so in the last five minutes and it might be a good idea if you would just shut up about it. You want them to hear us?" she asked in a hushed down of voice. She also glared, indicating that he should lower his voice.

Erju widened his eyes, realizing his mistake and nodded an apology. He was quiet for all of about twenty seconds. "I think that it would be a good idea if we did this through contacts."

"My boy, you've been living in your basement too long. If you want some things done, you have to do them in person and hear them for yourself. Besides, you have to admit it's a hell of a lot safer than relying on someone who might slip up."

"Hey, I don't know about your people, but mine don't make stupid mistakes."

"I didn't mean… Oh just be quiet!"

Callisto maneuvered herself deeper into the shadows to avoid detection as best she could. That was a very difficult thing to do considering she was crammed into a tiny corner with a man about the size of a small building. She was sometimes amazed at how well Erju had remained anonymous all these years. He was a hard presence to miss, but then Callisto had an eye for detail.

She was using that eye at that very moment. The man she was keeping tabs on then were operatives, at least that's what Erju had told her. She hoped that he was right or things were going to get very difficult. Strange, she who trusted no one was putting everything on a person who she had little contact over seven years. True they had a friendship forged in battle and revenge, but that in her eyes was not very solid ground. Yet, she trusted him completely. She hadn't yet decided how wise that was.

She focused her attention back on the men, one Bothan and one Rodian. She quieted her won breathing and nudged Erju very hard on the stomach to do the same. She could barely hear a thing over his heavy exhalations.

The Rodian spoke. "Were you followed?"

"No," the Bothan answered. "And believe me, it was not easy. There are eyes everywhere."

Callisto smiled at that. How right he was.

"Is it secure?"

The Bothan nodded. "Again, not easy. I received word that the archives had been comprised, but fortunately, the hard data was in an unconnected port."

"Shit," Erju said softly.

"Quiet," Callisto whispered. "Wait," she said. "What do you mean by shit?"

"That was me who was hacking into the archives. Damn, I'm losing my touch. They knew I was in there. Too make things worse, if that hard data is in an unconnected port, we might be in trouble."

"How so?"

"Well, for one thing, they might have shoved what I pulled from the archives in as a decoy, something to attract us."

"Think about it, why would they want us specifically. They don't know you exist, remember?"

Erju shrugged nervously. "Like you said, overconfidence is a weakness."

Callisto glared at him. "Talk to me, Erju. Who knows?"

"Look, I didn't tell anyone. Not a damn soul, but my contacts know my name and what I do, well a part of what I do anyhow. It's possible…" he said suggestively.

"Let's not get into hearsay now, " she waved her hand, indicating silence again.

The Bothan was speaking in a hushed tone. "It is ready to go."

"Good, we'll begin the shipping immediately, follow me."

Callisto looked over at Erju. "Looks like we're going on a trip."

Erju sighed, not even bothering to protest. Experience had taught him it would be an argument he was destined to lose."


Thirty minutes later found the two in a spaceport, clinging closely to the shadows. Callisto felt a moment of pained angst as she realized in her years of freedom, that this had been all she had known. Always she had lived in the dark, hiding from sentient eyes, only coming out to attack and take what she needed. Inwardly, she sighed. Nothing could be done about the past. There was only the future.

But before she could do that with a clear conscience, she had a few wrongs to make up for.

Erju mirrored her own moments from behind. He was not as skilled in being elusive as she was. His life had been spent in solitary confinement of his own making. He, much like her, had chosen this life. If he had wanted out, he had made no indication. Still, at least he wasn't afraid. If he had been, Callisto would have done this alone, despite the added risk.

"So what's the plan?" Erju asked.

Callisto was silent.

"There IS a plan, right?" Erju asked, worry creeping in his voice.

"The plan is do what I say and don't get killed." She then jumped off the ledge of the rooftop they had been on, down onto the dark ground.

"Great plan, " he said, sarcastically, then followed her lead.

She slinked behind some crates, her blaster already drawn. She wasn't in the mood for a fight, but that didn't mean she wouldn't if the need arose. She came up behind what she assumed were two guards to the ship's entrance and slugged them both on the back of the head with her weapon. Both fell to the ground immediately.

Erju came up out of the shadows' in slight, open-mouthed shock at her actions.

She looked up and casually said, "Did that feel too easy to you?"

Erju just continued looking at her with shock.

"Never mind, we haven't much time." She ran inside of the ship, not looking behind her, but perfectly aware that Erju was with her. "So where do you suppose they keep the records?"

"Probably close by. They probably have it ready to move in case of instances of one insane vigilante and one scared computer hacker breaking in."

"Well," she said, slowing to a halt. "Lead on, my friend."

Erju looked at her nervously, the looked around. "In here… I think." He beckoned her into an open room. "Hello!" He brightened at the sight of the equipment. "Damn, looked at this! This is some advanced stuff! I would killed to get my hands on this system right here."

"Open it up, Erju. We're not here on a shopping trip." She kept herself near the doorway, out of view, but would be able to see anyone coming in his or her direction.

Erju went immediately to work. His skills had never been in fighting, but in information. If it had bytes, he could get into it. Security systems, locks, passwords never posed a problem in his life. He delved into the precious database with an accuracy that would astound any mortal. Callisto only glanced though; she couldn't afford the distraction if trouble came.

"Got it!" he exclaimed.

"Great, let's get out of here."

Unexpectedly, a screen beside Erju lit up.

"I'm guessing that's not good," Callisto said.

A video projection of a face appeared before her. She immediately recognized the species as Falleen and it didn't take much thought for her to guess who she was looking at.

"The infamous Callisto Lin," the Falleen said.

"Xizor," Callisto said with a grim nod.

"I hear you have been looking for us. We're flattered," he said with a suave grin that made her want to retch.

"It'll pass," she said.

He only smiled, and the transmission ended.

"So much for the element of surprise," Erju said. He looked about to say more when a blaster bolt narrowly missed his head.

Callisto whipped around and returned fire. "Party's over, let's go." She yanked Erju out of the chair and down the hall, dodging fire. She could hear heavy foot steps behind her. She didn't bother to look behind her, knowing damn well they were being followed. Erju had been right, it had been a decoy. Suddenly, she wasn't feeling as sure about things as she had been a moment ago. Obviously someone knew something and it irritated her to no end. She hated surprises.

The two jumped out of the entrance and were met with more fire and more guards.

"It was a trap!" Erju said.

"Oh really, you think?" Callisto said. "Split up, it'll make it easier to get away. Don't worry I'll find you." Erju just stood there, looking at her. She pushed him. "Go, damn it!"

Finally he ran. Callisto headed off in the opposite direction. All the while, she cursed herself. She should have seen this coming. It had all felt a little too easy and now the element of surprise was gone. It would be a lot harder to find the people she was looking for now that they knew she was coming. She was feeling incredibly exposed right now.

There was a quick tug at her left ankle and she was pulled down to the ground, hard. She quickly looked up as she was being quickly dragged. Not far away was the cause: a tall man in some kind of armor. She surmised it had been the bounty hunter Erju had warned her about. She pulled her knife from her boot and hacked the rope off and flipped to her feet.

The bounty hunter had been prepared for the though. He touched something on his arm and a net had been launched, catching her. Again she was on the ground.

She couldn't see very well, but she could hear his footsteps.

She hated to admit it, but it looked as if things had just gotten very complicated.


Erju kept running, long after he had stopped being followed. He didn't have Callisto's sense of direction or for environment so he felt extremely vulnerable. He knew it would not be the wisest of ideas if he went back to his compound, so he kept going aimlessly forward in the dark.

Until he ran smack into a very tall figure, knocking himself over along with the other man. He heard a grunt as they both impacted on the ground. Erju immediately threw himself off the ground and began to run again, but a large hand held onto his shoulder.

"Wait," a soft voice said.

Erju looked over and then up. He had found a rare thing, a man taller than he was. In the darkness, he could make out a beard, long hair, and a brown robe. He looked to the side to see he had two companions, both dressed the same as he was.

It was then that he noticed the metal rod hanging from each of their belts. *Metal rods, why would anyone…* At once it dawned on him. Those weren't rods; they were lightsabers.

These men were Jedi.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||