PAST TENSE RISING: Part 10

by:  Bridget
Feedback to:  callistolin@prodigy.net



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.


Note: Thoughts are in * and Italics.


There was an audible crack as Callisto's body was flung against the wall, banging her head against the metal surface. A wave of dizziness shook her, but she only faltered a second. That was all the time she really had. In the next moment, Rapalen's sword came barreling down on her and she barely had time to parry the blow. She pushed her weapon back, sending her opponent stumbling back.

She hoisted herself up to her feet. It appeared she was moving very quickly, but she knew she could move faster, or maybe she was. Everything just felt like it was moving so slowly. On top of that, every motion opened up a fresh wound, both mental and physical. Still, she kept moving.

What she didn't want to admit was that anger was fueling each movement. Every parry, every thrust, was born of fury and malice. Without much thought, she knew Obi-Wan would disapprove and it would only further the gap between them that the Council had created.

Somehow, she no longer cared. Her mind was lost in the moment.

Rapelen regained his footing and restarted his assault. His blade was locked with hers for several moments in a brute show of force. Callisto's strength faltered and his sword slid down hers and skidded down her arm.

She felt warmth rise up where the sword had grazed her and fell back in slight pain.

"First blood," Rapalen grinned.

"Whatever," was Callisto's response.

In a quick flurry of motions, the combatants struck at each other. Much to her dismay, Callisto was losing ground. She desperately tried to recall every instance of swordplay she had ever experienced or encountered. She remembered seeing Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in battle, and Maul. She remembered ever detail and tried to bring up the memories of her own battles to draw on, seeking to anticipate his every move. In the end, she found her own skills to be lacking.

Rapelen pounded again in a very quick barrage of seven hits. The first six Callisto was able to block, but the last slipped past her and now she was bleeding from the other arm. She fell back down on the ground

Rapelen stood over her, gloating. "You're not very good at this. If you had been someone else, I might have considered sparing you on the account of how pathetic this attempt is, but no, not you. You, my dear, are going to die."

"Then I'm taking you with me," she said with absolute hatred in her voice.

Rapelen laughed. "We will see."

She responded with a fierce punch to his face as she rose. The blow had been unexpected and very strong. So strong that he was thrown rearward and down flat on his back.

Callisto held her sword up, patiently waiting for him to rise, She did not have long to wait. He came back on his feet, wiping blood away from his mouth. He looked to her with a snarl.

"You won't live to regret that."

"We will see."

The battle raged on.


Erju continued to run, long after her realized he was no longer being followed. He stopped suddenly, in the midst of a relatively large crowd. Looking from left to right, then around in a full circle, he didn't see the Jedi anywhere.

"I lost him," Erju said, happily. "I lost him!"

He had no idea how he managed to accomplish that. Luck he supposed. He had always been a very lucky man. He had survived so many things always on top, why should now be any different?

For a brief moment, a feeling of guilt arose within him. He had left a friend to die. She had been there for him every single moment he needed her.

But as soon as it had come, it passed. Remorse was something alien to Erju, always had been. He was a survivor and did so at any cost, even at people who trusted him beyond a shadow of a doubt. She should have known better. In this universe, nothing was written in stone.

He patted his right pocket and moved on to the meeting he had.

This was proving to be a very fulfilling day


Qui-Gon stood at the exit of the ship, between the ship and the outdoors, looking down the ramp and into the vast crowd. He scanned it, reaching out with the Force to detect either Obi-Wan or Erju.

As it turned out, the Force was not necessary. A dejected Obi-Wan appeared, walking towards him with his head hanging.

"I lost him," Obi-Wan announced.

Qui-Gon only nodded.

"Don't let that discourage you. He will not have as many places to hide as he might think."

"I wouldn't bet on that," Obi-Wan said. "The man is if anything, extremely resourceful. And I'm positive he has contacts here that he can hide with."

"Perhaps," Qui-Gon said. "And perhaps not. One thing I have learned is that people like him always get what's coming to them in the end."

It was little consolation to Obi-Wan, but he took some comfort from it.

"There is something else?" Qui-Gon asked.

A faint smile appeared on the former apprentice. "Isn't there always?"

"What is it?"

"I could sense her."

Qui-Gon straightened out, a look of concern mixed with worry appeared on his rugged featured. "What did you?"

"Something is happening to her."

"Is she in danger?"

"Of course. When is she not? But this was something else, Master. There was something very cold about. I don't know what it is."

Qui-Gon looked about ready to say something more, but Anakin appeared to interrupt him.

"It's gone!" Anakin cried.

"What's gone?" Qui-Gon asked.

"Those files, the ones that Callisto and Erju had taken... He took them!"

Qui-Gon looked from Anakin, out into the crowd. He didn't know why he looked. Perhaps it was for the glimmer of hope he felt that Erju might appear and they could continue the chase and take it back. Whatever it was, anyhow, they still did not know what was contained in those files.

"I have a bad feeling about this," Obi-Wan said. "A VERY bad feeling."


Rapelen lunged forward, and Callisto blocked. It had been another very close call, but she would not give up. She had no plans to die that day, unless of course Rapelen would die with her. At that time, it was the only reason she kept going. The thought fueled her.

Her blade whirled forward in a high rolling attack. Rapalen was forced backwards, but instead of faltering, his foot flew out and caught her in the stomach. She faltered. He took immediate advantage of the sudden weakness, and brought his sword forward, slicing her forehead open. Blood poured forth and seeped into her eyes.

Callisto fell to the ground blind, knocking over a vase as she tumbled.

Victorious, Rapelen stood over her.

"You know," he said. "You were doomed from the start. You have no vision, no thought to the dance. When you take away all those resources, those friends, those weapons, and that admirable strength, there is nothing left." He lunged downward.

But Callisto caught the blade between her two hands, even without sight.

"Nothing but me," she said, emotionless. She grasped the blade with one hand, cutting her hand deeply. With the other hand, she raised her sword and struck.

Rapelen was dealt the fatal blow across the neck.

He staggered backwards, grasping at the fluid that poured down his shirt. He looked down at her, shocked at what had happened. How did this befall him? How had she done this? He was the strong one! He was the one with the might, the power, the years of experience. With all of that he had somehow...somehow...

...lost!

With that final thought, he fell upon his desk and died.

Still blinded, Callisto pulled herself up to her feet. Slowly, she began walking towards the exit.

This had been the moment she had dreamed of for years! She had the taste for his blood in her mouth ever since that day back on Tatooine so long ago. A day had not passed since she had thought of and hoped for his demise. Now that it had happened, she felt nothing. She fell cold.

And so empty.

She paused at the door, looking back, even though she could barely see. She could make out the dead body of her enemy, lying there across his desk.

Then she continued on, out the door, knowing very well that Rapelen was not the only thing that had died in that room.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| The Place of Our Legacy || Stargate Main || Star Wars Main || Site Updates ||
|| Links || Link to me || Webrings || Submissions || About this site || Awards ||
|| Chat || Sign Guestbook || View Guestbook || Message Board ||
|| The Stargate SG-1 Fanfiction Ring || The Phantom Menace Fanfiction Ring ||